• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Skifi28

Disabling the launcher didn't help, will try the priority thing when I return home. The game begs for frame generation, it really helped when I was CPU bound in Novigrad.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, she was at the Gith patrol, she was dead, but after I took out the patrol I was able to rez her. Finally got her in my party.
Narratively, how did that work?

"Hey, this Gith is kinda hot and looks DTF, let's rez her, ok guys?"

Did the mind parasite call out or had you met her at the crash site and for some reason she didn't join up then?

Drake

Narratively, how did that work?

"Hey, this Gith is kinda hot and looks DTF, let's rez her, ok guys?"

Did the mind parasite call out or had you met her at the crash site and for some reason she didn't join up then?
I had to manually cast rez on her. I encountered her on the Natuloid (she doesn't join up then), but I complete missed the part where she is held captive by the Tieflings. I was half way through Act 1 and realized she hadn't joined yet, so I looked up where she was, went to that section on the map, but the Tieflings were already dead (and she was gone).

Narratively, after I rez'ed her she was just like "Oh, I see you have a parasite too, there's a cure somewhere in the Mountain Pass" and then she joined my party.

SantaC

Yeah you hit level cap quite early if you're not rushing through, I got it partway through act 3 like someone else said and I skipped massive chunks of act 1 and 2 intentionally.

It's a good system, again it's designed to nudge players towards the idea that you'll never do everything in one run so don't worry about it, play at your own pace and enjoy it. Save some quests for next run maybe. Of course you can still try and be a completionist but you're gonna hit level cap super early. Can still get more and more powerful via items.
There is a mod that raises cap to 20.

Fools idol

Banned
what are the other options for being safe from the curse in the shadowlands?

on my first run I just jumped between the light soures. surely there is any easier way. I found a 'broken' lantern with pixie dust in it or something...

FireFly

what are the other options for being safe from the curse in the shadowlands?

on my first run I just jumped between the light soures. surely there is any easier way. I found a 'broken' lantern with pixie dust in it or something...
If you side with the Harpers you can ambush an Absolute patrol and get a working lantern. If you side with the Absolute you can pick one up in Moonrise Towers.

So...how is performance in Act 3, everyone?

I had constant 60fps in first two, but even in just Rivington, where there are tons of NPCs on the screen, I am getting some insane, annoying as fuck to the point of gamebreaking, stuttering. On 5800X3D and 3080Ti. GPU is of course almost idle, this is purely CPU problem. But fuck, I would think 3D ryzen should be able to handle this. It runs worse than Witcher 3 RT in Novigrad, hell it runs MUCH worse than Cyberpunk with RT.
I'm on a 1080ti and I don't really have a noticeable difference. I can tell it's running slightly less fps than first two acts, but nothing major or bothersome.

Guilty_AI

Just tell me one thing.

Is there any side effect of rest-scumming?
Largely situational. Resting at certain points can cause events to proceed, like characters moving from one place to another, people who could've been saved dying, certain quests progressing onwards, and so on. Sometimes characters may even explicitly tell you things like "tomorrow we do X!" - and they indeed do X after a long rest, "if you don't do this in 2 days everyone dies!" - and everyone dies after 3 long rests, or even saying things like "We can't rest right now" - though you can ignore him and it'll likely have some consequences.

There is no explicit mechanical punishment for it aside from the consumption of supplies.

Guilty_AI

I'm on a 1080ti and I don't really have a noticeable difference. I can tell it's running slightly less fps than first two acts, but nothing major or bothersome.
Other things that could be affecting performance for some:
>Borderless vs fullscreen
>Steam and/or geforce overlay
>Vulkan vs DX11
>Windows full screen optimizations
>nvidia v-sync/framecapping vs ingame one

Worth testing around with

amigastar

Other things that could be affecting performance for some:
>Borderless vs fullscreen
>Steam and/or geforce overlay
>Vulkan vs DX11
>Windows full screen optimizations
>nvidia v-sync/framecapping vs ingame one

Worth testing around with
I would add running the game on an SSD into the mix.

Denton

I get less stuttering after I disabled SMT (hyperthreading) in BIOS. What a worthless god damn feature as far as games are concerned.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
About the skill points for my druid (or any class really) , since you only get bonus on the dice rolls for the even numbers, is it better if i put like one point to wisdom (my main stat) to get at 18 and one into something else to get an even number and get a bonus (like in const or dext for defense and save rolls) what bonus do i get from wisdom to 19 instead of 18?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There is a mod that raises cap to 20.

Right, but until there's a mod that scales everything else in the game it's no use. Same with the "have all companions" mod.

Don't get me wrong, the modding community on this thing is gonna be NUTS in terms of extra stuff for the game.

Ginzeen

Banned
Right, but until there's a mod that scales everything else in the game it's no use. Same with the "have all companions" mod.

Don't get me wrong, the modding community on this thing is gonna be NUTS in terms of extra stuff for the game.
Ehh modding will be good but don't expect anything like Skyrim. It's going to be the same as DS2

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Ehh modding will be good but don't expect anything like Skyrim. It's going to be the same as DS2

There's already more entries on Nexusmods than DoS1+2 combined and it's only been out 3 weeks. Sure, it'll probably never hit Skyrim but the drop off after that is pretty quick, will easily be one of the most modded games on PC.

Ginzeen

Banned
There's already more entries on Nexusmods than DoS1+2 combined and it's only been out 3 weeks. Sure, it'll probably never hit Skyrim but the drop off after that is pretty quick, will easily be one of the most modded games on PC.
That's because a lot of the mods for divinity sin 2 are on the steam workshop. BG3 doesn't have a steam workshop.

AV

That's because a lot of the mods for divinity sin 2 are on the steam workshop. BG3 doesn't have a steam workshop.

Aye, we'll see what it looks like if/when support gets added.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I need a fucking mod where the chara pick everything in the yellow search radius you activate with the controller without wasting 10 min moving from an object to another:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
At what level should I enter Moonrise tower. I am at level 7, but I think I should do some more questing before trying to get into this fight.

AV

At what level should I enter Moonrise tower. I am at level 7, but I think I should do some more questing before trying to get into this fight.

Yeah, not yet. I'm level 6 on playthrough 2 without leaving act 1. Act 2 has TONS to do before you finish up.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Or, as the author says it...A high production, roleplaying and narrative game vs a heavy mechanic game....in the same genre

I didn't find the companions of WOTR very interesting. Combat is fine. Tried playing it twice put in tons of hours but eventually bored and stopped. I can do without the war general mechanic as well. Owlcat should stop putting that stuff in their games. I expect some management side game will be in their Warhammer RPG as well. I would rank Wasteland 3 over WOTR.

Last edited:

geary

I didn't find the companions of WOTR very interesting. Combat is fine. Tried playing it twice put in tons of hours but eventually bored amd stopped. I can do with the war general mechanic as well. Owlcat should stop putting that stuff in their games. I expect some management side game I'll be in their Warhammer RPG as well. I would rank Wasteland 3 over WOTR.
There is a mini game in Rogue Trader…something related to spaceship battles

Bkdk

cohhcarnage gives out perhaps most accurate and honest review, he said many good things about the game but the end verdict is you probably want to wait it out to see if they patches up act 3.

AV

cohhcarnage gives out perhaps most accurate and honest review, he said many good things about the game but the end verdict is you probably want to wait it out to see if they patches up act 3.

I'm on playthrough 2 now but I'm already greatly looking forward to doing playthrough 3 in a while when they've restored a bunch of shit.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Npcs allies IA is dogshit wow, they move and do stupid ass shit for the whole fight, does tactician mode improve the friendly IA during combat?

Also, i feel like i'm cheating my way in the goblin dungeon in act 1,
they are friendly and i just poisoned their drinks and killed them one by one with my rogue from behind, why is the IA friendly with my character? i thought goblins were hostile against strangers and i haven't used the absolute mindflyer trick to dominate them...

On the positive side, karlach is great, she sing and dance when she stay still and
her going bastshit crazy on the house when you kill the paladins who hunt her was hilarious.

Does the game get harder in act 2? because i think tactician would probably kick my ass but normal is way too easy.

I have a question about the whole goblin sidemission
does the attack actually happen? because i have the horn to call the big orcs i have as allies and i really want to see them bringing chaos, but right now i'm in the goblin base and killing everyone so i fear to stop the attack before it even start, i really want to see the siege to the druid base but i also want to free the druid they keep imprisoned

Last edited:
Definitely not enjoying Acts 2 and 3 anywhere near as much as Act 1 but it's kind of a harsh comment in reality as it's dropped from transcending any RPG I've ever played to a 9/10 so still up there with the absolute best.

AV

Also, i feel like i'm cheating my way in the goblin dungeon in act 1,
they are friendly and i just poisoned their drinks and killed them one by one with my rogue from behind, why is the IA friendly with my character? i thought goblins were hostile against strangers and i haven't used the absolute mindflyer trick to dominate them...

Does the game get harder in act 2? because i think tactician would probably kick my ass but normal is way too easy.

I have a question about the whole goblin sidemission
does the attack actually happen? because i have the horn to call the big orcs i have as allies and i really want to see them bringing chaos, but right now i'm in the goblin base and killing everyone so i fear to stop the attack before it even start, i really want to see the siege to the druid base but i also want to free the druid they keep imprisoned

Some parts of act 2 get harder but it really depends on how much you're levelling up since the game doesn't scale. If you're doing and killing everything you're gonna get strong early but you'll reach the cap easily in level 3 and from there on it'll get a bit tougher. Tactician is definitely much rougher but I'm enjoying it, it's not super difficult, just encourages you to full rest more.

In terms of goblins...

Nah you can talk your way past goblins without the Ilithid thing. You can join them and there's an evil NPC you can recruit if you stay on that evil path. Yeah the attack happens and when it does, you'll have the choice to side with the goblins or the druids and either defend or slaughter the grove. I'm pretty sure there's also a choice that's just "I want you all to die" if you want total chaos.

Skifi28

Patch 1 now live (about 2 gigs).

You won’t be waiting long for Patch 2, which is right around the corner. This update will feature significant performance improvements
Perhaps I should take a break from the game and wait for the patch.

Last edited:

AV

Love me some patch notes. That's a BIG list as expected.

Full list is here but there's some weird text colour issue, ctrl+A to highlight and read.

Luipadre

Holy thats a huge fucking patch. I just started act 3. I'll see hows the performance, but maybe i'll wait a bit more.

Thanks for the link. I'm a bit surprised they haven't touched Sword Bards' ranged Slashing Flourish, or Tavern Brawler interaction with thrown attacks riders...

DanEON

I wonder if the "run away from battle" option is working as intended or is bugged. Because it is too OP. I killed the whole goblin camp by using it with my rogue.

Last edited:
I played and beat it, having my character act as closely to what I wish I could do in the situation. I backed myself into a corner with the ending, though and wasn't entirely happy with it:
I let Karlach take the tadpole so we could gain access to the Netherbrain. My reasoning was she was going to die and wanted a warrior's death. I was disappointed in myself to see I doomed her to living as a Mind Flayer.

Immediately started playing it through again as The Dark Urge, with my intention being to see an evil playthrough. But I feel like I know the characters so well, I'm having a hard time being evil, and I've already chickened out of a few choices.

Another testament to the game's writing. I had no trouble destroying entire settlements in Fallout 3 and 4 for fun, but here it's different.

Quick question: I'm playing on controller, and it's surprisingly intuitive, even with all the complexity. But does anyone know how to change camera height/elevation? There's snap-to-target options with left and right on the D-pad, so you can lock on to enemies easily enough. When you're free-targeting, however, is there a way to target a roof/higher levels? I thought it might be up on the D-pad, but that's mapped to Jump.

AV

I played and beat it, having my character act as closely to what I wish I could do in the situation. I backed myself into a corner with the ending, though and wasn't entirely happy with it:
I let Karlach take the tadpole so we could gain access to the Netherbrain. My reasoning was she was going to die and wanted a warrior's death. I was disappointed in myself to see I doomed her to living as a Mind Flayer.

Immediately started playing it through again as The Dark Urge, with my intention being to see an evil playthrough. But I feel like I know the characters so well, I'm having a hard time being evil, and I've already chickened out of a few choices.

Another testament to the game's writing. I had no trouble destroying entire settlements in Fallout 3 and 4 for fun, but here it's different.

If it helps, many have said dark urge is actually better if you resist it rather than giving in. So you could totally play an evil > good redemption arc story.

I'm doing an evil play now where I let it consume me, then for my third run (probably when the definitive edition hits) I'll do a resist run.

samoilaaa

people that have finished the game , is act3 and the ending that bad ? i keep seeing that alot of people compare it to the ending of mass effect 3

Top Bottom