• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

from the 1st map in the game and when you transition to the mountains (where it says you should finish everything in the 1st map before proceeding), is the 2nd map considered act 2?

jason10mm

Gold Member
It occurs to me that having an entire group of people that relentless hit on you the moment you show them ANY interest and who then get petulant and sulky if you shut them down is EXACTLY the experience women say they have at a game con.

Well played Larian...well played, you almost snuck it past me :p

Performance
It occurs to me that having an entire group of people that relentless hit on you the moment you show them ANY interest and who then get petulant and sulky if you shut them down is EXACTLY the experience women say they have at a game con.

Well played Larian...well played, you almost snuck it past me :p
Cringe GIF

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
You can increase the size of the hot bar. Also for inventory management, use strength characters or send to camp for heavy stuff. Sell or send things you don’t need. Use auto sort.
I knew about the hot sizing, but totally missed auto sort. That will help.
As above, also you can stop picking up everything that isn't nailed down after act 1 IMO. Once you've got your initial gear gold becomes far less valuable, I'm about to finish the game with like 14k spare.
Good to know, because right now I feel like a pack rat.

I'm definitely not enjoying Act 2 as much as Act 1. I've gone from wanting to play this every waking hour to making excuses not to play.

Not saying it's bad in the grand scheme of things but it's a bit like the starting Baldur's Gate section of BG2 being absolutely amazing then the mid section like the Underdark bit of BG2 being mearly decent in comparison.

I've done what seem to be the two biggest areas so hopefully done soon and can move to the city.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm definitely not enjoying Act 2 as much as Act 1. I've gone from wanting to play this every waking hour to making excuses not to play.

Not saying it's bad in the grand scheme of things but it's a bit like the starting Baldur's Gate section of BG2 being absolutely amazing then the mid section like the Underdark bit of BG2 being mearly decent in comparison.

I've done what seem to be the two biggest areas so hopefully done soon and can move to the city.

Interesting, first time I've seen this. Everyone I've spoken to has called act 2 the best and I think I agree so far. Then again I intentionally skipped the entire underdark and forge areas in act 1 so my mind might change on this playthrough.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Interesting, first time I've seen this. Everyone I've spoken to has called act 2 the best and I think I agree so far. Then again I intentionally skipped the entire underdark and forge areas in act 1 so my mind might change on this playthrough.

Act 2 is more challenging.

Guilty_AI

I think some people just don't like the change of pace and atmosphere. From what i heard act 2 is more action oriented and generally more challenging.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Act 2 is more challenging.
I think some people just don't like the change of pace and atmosphere. From what i heard act 2 is more action oriented and generally more challenging.

I guess, by the time my companions were level 5 they were so much more powerful that while fights required some more planning, I had way more utility under my belt to handle them.

Going tactician on my 2nd run and it can be pretty brutal. Actually gonna have to make a lot more use of long rests it seems.

Drake

I completely missed Lae'Zel at the beginning of the game. I went back to where she is supposed to be, but now there's just a bunch of dead Tiefling's and shes gone. Does anyone know where she shows up again? I read she's supposed to be by the mountain pass by the Gith patrol, but she's not there either.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I completely missed Lae'Zel at the beginning of the game. I went back to where she is supposed to be, but now there's just a bunch of dead Tiefling's and shes gone. Does anyone know where she shows up again? I read she's supposed to be by the mountain pass by the Gith patrol, but she's not there either.

I'm not completely certain but perhaps she will show up at your camp if you long rest enough.

AV

Try the monastery teleporter point further in the same area as the Gith patrol.

Finally encountered a problematic bug, in Act III at Cazador's place, when I enter the battle downstairs, I've crashed about 5 times. :( Most of them were at the very beginning of the battle, but this last crash was literally as I was about to win the battle. I didn't think to try to save during because it had gone so well that I mostly forgot about the other crashes. Sad, while it hasn't been an ultra hard fight or anything, it's long enough I don't want to do it again and was on the cusp of victory! I was recording at first and that was listed as a possible reason so I didn't think too much of it and turned it off, but seems unrelated. Says it's a Vulkan error, so going to try with DirectX here.

I liked Act I a lot more than Act II also, but mainly because of the area design. I didn't like how a lot of places were so dark and dreary. But I still powered through just fine, I did stop playing as much in Act III but just because it felt a little overwhelming.

The voice acting in this game is good. From the main cast to the villains to random NPCs on the street, I haven't encountered ONE flat or poor voice performance. How did Larian do it?

Fools idol

Banned
The voice acting in this game is good. From the main cast to the villains to random NPCs on the street, I haven't encountered ONE flat or poor voice performance. How did Larian do it?
they hired experienced actors for every role and considered them equal in the sense that mo NPC is a 'lesser character'.

It worked wonders for immersion.

Last edited:

Denton

So...how is performance in Act 3, everyone?

I had constant 60fps in first two, but even in just Rivington, where there are tons of NPCs on the screen, I am getting some insane, annoying as fuck to the point of gamebreaking, stuttering. On 5800X3D and 3080Ti. GPU is of course almost idle, this is purely CPU problem. But fuck, I would think 3D ryzen should be able to handle this. It runs worse than Witcher 3 RT in Novigrad, hell it runs MUCH worse than Cyberpunk with RT.

Been messing about fighting the hag, fun battle after her cheapass minions. Apparently, a non lethal knock out will make her try to make a deal with my drow. Of course anything for power so I spared her life get that +1 to my attributes. Replayed the battle a few times and its absolute diabolical what the a.i does to my party.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm like 13 hours in and i haven't long rested once for fear to fuck up some quests...

I need to know if i can rest with these open quests because my pg costantly ask to sleep and i only have normal attacks left...(the game on normal is pretty easy i must say)

i still have to free the druid and defeat the goblins, i spoke with the druid healer that tried to poison me, i saved the child from the snake but i have to investigate on the female druid leadee after i found a note about her, i still have to find the devil chick for my party, and i killed the owlbear

What do i risk to fuck up if i sleep? (I HATE this fucking system, at least tell me what quests advance if i sleep instead of letting me guess like a moron).

FOMO is real strong but i'm never gonna do a second run, so...

Btw, i turned down the space pirate chick and shadowheart (kinda, i told her to wait anither moment) because i heard you can't have more relations with the main cast, please tell me if it is true or not.

I sneak peaked shadow's ass in the inventory and...i don't wanna miss to hit that if it is not super necessary:lollipop_squinting:

I'm only in the beginning and 2 charas already want to fuck me, romances are not really organic or realistic in this game at all, i prefer to work hard to get a romance, this way it cheapen the experience because i barely had to do jack shit...

Last edited:
I'm like 13 hours in and i haven't long rested once for fear to fuck up some quests...

I need to know if i can rest with these open quests because my pg costantly ask to sleep and i only have normal attacks left...(the game on normal is pretty easy i must say)

i still have to free the druid and defeat the goblins, i spoke with the druid healer that tried to poison me, i saved the child from the snake but i have to investigate on the female druid leadee after i found a note about her, i still have to find the devil chick for my party, and i killed the owlbear

What do i risk to fuck up if i sleep? (I HATE this fucking system, at least tell me what quest advance if i sleep instead of letting me guess).

FOMO is real strong but i'm never gonna do a second run, so...
Wtf you talking about? Why would a long rest affect your game at all? It doesn't affect a happening in the world or any quests. You could long rest after every fight if you wanted to.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Wtf you talking about? Why would a long rest affect your game at all? It doesn't affect a happening in the world or any quests. You could long rest after every fight if you wanted to.
Yeah no, some quests advance if you long rest, unless people in the whole internet or this very topic lied to my face:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But just to keep you updated:

In order to prevent players from overusing Long Rests to recover their resources between every fight, Baldur's Gate 3 applies some special limitations to the system.

Firstly, players can only perform a full Long Rest at the Camp if they have 40 Camp Supplies. Otherwise, they'll perform a Partial Long Rest, which only restores half the party's hit points and spell slots. All food and drink items in the party's inventory count toward Camp Supplies, with each individual item having a different value. The most valuable item in terms of Camp Supplies is the Supply Kit, which contains 40 Camp Supplies on its own, enough for a single Long Rest.

Alternatively, players can choose to Long Rest at an inn later in Baldur's Gate 3's story. This will avoid using Camp Supplies but will cost gold instead. Wherever they choose to rest, players should also be aware that some quests and events have time-sensitive elements. Long Resting too often may fail objectives or cause certain events to advance.

Right now i have a quest where a ritual is about to be completed and i should stop it, how do i know if the game complete the ritual and fuck up a big quest if i long rest? it really feel like a time sensitive quest... i'm ok with random failures from bad dice rolls, not to have a fucked up quest because of that.

Last edited:

FireFly

Yeah no, some quests advance if you long rest, unless people in the whole internet or this very topic lied to my face:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

In order to prevent players from overusing Long Rests to recover their resources between every fight, Baldur's Gate 3 applies some special limitations to the system.

Firstly, players can only perform a full Long Rest at the Camp if they have 40 Camp Supplies. Otherwise, they'll perform a Partial Long Rest, which only restores half the party's hit points and spell slots. All food and drink items in the party's inventory count toward Camp Supplies, with each individual item having a different value. The most valuable item in terms of Camp Supplies is the Supply Kit, which contains 40 Camp Supplies on its own, enough for a single Long Rest.

Alternatively, players can choose to Long Rest at an inn later in Baldur's Gate 3's story. This will avoid using Camp Supplies but will cost gold instead. Wherever they choose to rest, players should also be aware that some quests and events have time-sensitive elements. Long Resting too often may fail objectives or cause certain events to advance.
If the quest is time sensitive, it should give you some indication. Like if you trigger the Grove attack you will be told they are attacking within a day. If you rescue the Druid and then leave him there, the quest can advance when you long rest. But I have never seen a quest advance "by itself". It's always triggered by some action you are doing. There is a time sensitive rescue quest, but the quest can only fail after you discover the person you are supposed to be rescuing. Any other way would penalise players for exploring.

GymWolf

Gold Member
If the quest is time sensitive, it should give you some indication. Like if you trigger the Grove attack you will be told they are attacking within a day. If you rescue the Druid and then leave him there, the quest can advance when you long rest. But I have never seen a quest advance "by itself". It's always triggered by some action you are doing. There is a time sensitive rescue quest, but the quest can only fail after you discover the person you are supposed to be rescuing. Any other way would penalise players for exploring.
But how do you know what triggers what? like how do i know if talking with a specific person triggers something? does the journal entries clearly say when there is a time limit?

I'm in the middle of this druid ritual, how i do i know if i triggered the start of the quest and it is now time sensitive? does saving the child from the snake put things in motions? does convincing those 3 devil characters to stay here to defend the base trigger the assault to the base if i sleep? all the characters in the base speak like the attack is imminent, how do i know when it is safe to sleep?

do i need to receive a clear message from the game or what?

Last edited:

AV

But how do you know what triggers what? like how do i know if talking with a specific person triggers something? does the journal entries clearly say when there is a time limit?

I'm in the middle of this druid ritual, how i do i know if i triggered the start of the quest and it is now time sensitive? does saving the child from the snake put things in motions? does convincing those 3 devil characters to stay here to defend the base trigger the assault to the base if i sleep? how do i know when it is safe to sleep?

You're going to fuck up your save much worse if you don't start long resting. You're stacking up critical events that happens when you long rest that advance stories, the system exists to guide you into doing it because you're significantly weaker unrested.

The game is telling you to drop your FOMO and OCD, you cannot physically see all the content in one run because of the way things branch out. It's not Fallout 3.

The general rule of thumb is, if you walk into an area and a thing is happening, do the thing before you long rest and it won't advance. That's not always the case with longer events like the druid grove ritual where I think it takes numerous rests without you interacting with the grove for it to move on alone.

Last edited:

Right now i have a quest where a ritual is about to be completed and i should stop it, how do i know if the game complete the ritual and fuck up a big quest if i long rest? it really feel like a time sensitive quest... i'm ok with random failures from bad dice rolls, not to have a fucked up quest because of that.

What you mean yeah no? You're bumbling around on act one scared to have a single long rest. I've practically finished the game.

The only thing that are time sensitive are quests that are in the same act. If you leave the act it won't let you go back. The game gives plenty of warnings.

The only thing that progresses in long rests are character interactions, romances etc and your main character personal quest depending on your origin.

If you need to rest 10 times I can tell you not a single quest Will fail. The only thing that might be time sensitive in the game is maybe the globin camp attacking the grove. And even if it is, you would need well over 20 rests.
So what if some random sidebquest fails ? You can't do everything in one play through

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
You're going to fuck up your save much worse if you don't start long resting. You're stacking up critical events that happens when you long rest in the background, the system exists to guide you into doing it because you're significantly weaker unrested.

The game is telling you to drop your FOMO and OCD, you cannot physically see all the content in one run because of the way things branch out. It's not Fallout 3.

The general rule of thumb is, if you walk into an area and a thing is happening, do the thing before you long rest and it won't advance. That's not always the case with longer events like the druid grove ritual where I think it takes numerous rests without you interacting with the grove for it to move on alone.
It's not about seeing everything, but mostly about not fucking up quest that i already started, i'm ok if i miss entire areas but i would be mad if a quest complete itself because i fucking sleep.

AV

What you mean yeah no? You're bumbling around on act one scared to have a single long rest. I've practically finished the game.

The only thing that are time sensitive are quests that are in the same act. If you leave the act it won't let you go back. The game gives plenty of warnings.

The only thing that progresses in long rests are character interactions, romances etc and your main character personal quest depending on your origin.

If you need to rest 10 times I can tell you not a single quest Will fail. The only thing that might be time sensitive in the game is maybe the globin camp attacking the grove. And even if it is, you would need well over 20 rests.
So what if some random sidebquest fails ? You can't do everything in one okay through

This is just not true. For instance if you discover the owlbear cave but don't resolve the scenario and long rest, goblins will kill it. The gnome strapped to the windmill will disappear after long enough. There's quite a few of them but mostly they're down to someone discovering an event and not resolving it as they've discovered it.

It's not about seeing everything, but mostly about not fucking up quest that i already started, i'm ok if i miss entire areas but i would be mad if a quest complete itself because i fucking sleep.

You'll be fine. It makes perfect sense in-game for certain things to advance themselves if you go and sleep, like rescuing people from a burning building, but everything we've found so far seems to be situations like that where players just walk away.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well my characters are gonna be happy to finally have some sleep :messenger_tears_of_joy:

P.s. how do you check an enemy detailed stats during combat with a controller? is it a skill to use or just a combination of buttons?

Last edited:

Skifi28

There are already some places/fights in act 2 that run quite bad and fps drops in the 40s. I was running at 1440p native with DLAA and dropped to DLSS quality and I'm not seeing much improvement so it's probably CPU related. I know an 11600 is not the best CPU around these days, but I was still hoping it would be enough. Doesn't bode well for what will happen later in the city...

Last edited:

FireFly

I'm in the middle of this druid ritual, how i do i know if i triggered the start of the quest and it is now time sensitive? does saving the child from the snake put things in motions? does convincing those 3 devil characters to stay here to defend the base trigger the assault to the base if i sleep? all the characters in the base speak like the attack is imminent, how do i know when it is safe to sleep?

None of the things you listed would logically trigger an attack. The game isn't trying to "trick" you by making everything advance after some random event. You will know when the attack is going to happen.

AV

wait wait, the level cap is only 12? I hope leveling up slows down since I am already 5.

Yeah you hit level cap quite early if you're not rushing through, I got it partway through act 3 like someone else said and I skipped massive chunks of act 1 and 2 intentionally.

It's a good system, again it's designed to nudge players towards the idea that you'll never do everything in one run so don't worry about it, play at your own pace and enjoy it. Save some quests for next run maybe. Of course you can still try and be a completionist but you're gonna hit level cap super early. Can still get more and more powerful via items.

Terenty

I have a feeling the whole companion interactions scripting is fucked. Not only how they start adoring you 5 mins into the game, but the way different events trigger seemingly out of order and without any context.

Guilty_AI

There are already some places/fights in act 2 that run quite bad and fps drops in the 40s. I was running at 1440p native with DLAA and dropped to DLSS quality and I'm not seeing much improvement so it's probably CPU related. I know an 11600 is not the best CPU around these days, but I was still hoping it would be enough. Doesn't bode well for what will happen later in the city...
I remember seeing that >closing larian launcher after starting the game (or skipping it altogether). >setting the game's process priority to high. Can help with performance.

If you're talking about the guy at Waukeen's Rest...
I failed that quest without even knowing it existed, by just passing in front of the inn when going toward the Githyanki patrol. Then when I finally decided to go see what was happening there, it was already burned down, with the guy dead (goodbye Spellsparkler) and the chest destroyed (goodbye Hamarhraft). I never even entered Waukeen's Rest proper, much less talked with anyone there, or got any warning as to what was going on; just long resting after getting close was apparently enough to trigger the burning.

calistan

P.s. how do you check an enemy detailed stats during combat with a controller? is it a skill to use or just a combination of buttons?
X / square button, apparently. I tried it briefly with a controller but it was like turning on kiddie mode. Massive text and chunky icons everywhere. Direct control of character movement was quite good though.

Atrus

Gold Member
People with anxiety over the long rest advancing quests should keep in mind that it advances anything that is in immediate danger once you trigger the event. Someone being attacked, someone dying or trapped, someone running off to face X encounter.

I haven’t failed a quest yet due to long rests because the emergency nature of the problem makes sense.

Guilty_AI

People with anxiety over the long rest advancing quests should keep in mind that it advances anything that is in immediate danger once you trigger the event. Someone being attacked, someone dying or trapped, someone running off to face X encounter.

I haven’t failed a quest yet due to long rests because the emergency nature of the problem makes sense.
I think they shouldn't even be afraid of failing quests. Its in the nature of this game for things to sometimes go well and sometimes fail, i myself barely even look at the questlog. I think people just got too used with the checklist mentality most games come with these days, where everything is a task that must be completed x or y way.

More than once already i was perfectly fine with "failing" certain quests because i thought going through with them wasn't a good idea, or even because i was unlucky or not good enough.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Yup. I fucked up one quest but I'm not mad about it. Games have conditioned me to not care about emergencies.... "Please you need to save the world OMG we are about to die... but first can you collect 3 berries for me on the other side of the planet?"

So I figured BG3 was the same way and I did a long rest and someone died. Whoopsie! lol

Last edited:

I had constant 60fps in first two, but even in just Rivington, where there are tons of NPCs on the screen, I am getting some insane, annoying as fuck to the point of gamebreaking, stuttering. On 5800X3D and 3080Ti. GPU is of course almost idle, this is purely CPU problem. But fuck, I would think 3D ryzen should be able to handle this. It runs worse than Witcher 3 RT in Novigrad, hell it runs MUCH worse than Cyberpunk with RT.
I went from 100+ fps in Act I to ~40fps in Act III. All settings maxed, DLSS balanced, 1440p, 3080 and (I think) either a 5600 or 5800 AMD CPU. I can never remember my CPU because it rarely comes into play for game performance.

Guilty_AI

I went from 100+ fps in Act I to ~40fps in Act III. All settings maxed, DLSS balanced, 1440p, 3080 and (I think) either a 5600 or 5800 AMD CPU. I can never remember my CPU because it rarely comes into play for game performance.

I read on the subreddit changing the process priority to high in the task manager seems to have helped a lot of people. Can any of you try this and see how it works?

Denton

I read on the subreddit changing the process priority to high in the task manager seems to have helped a lot of people. Can any of you try this and see how it works?
I did that via registry even before I entered Act 3, still stutters like motherfucker.

Last edited:

FireFly

If you're talking about the guy at Waukeen's Rest...
I failed that quest without even knowing it existed, by just passing in front of the inn when going toward the Githyanki patrol. Then when I finally decided to go see what was happening there, it was already burned down, with the guy dead (goodbye Spellsparkler) and the chest destroyed (goodbye Hamarhraft). I never even entered Waukeen's Rest proper, much less talked with anyone there, or got any warning as to what was going on; just long resting after getting close was apparently enough to trigger the burning.
No, I was talking about the Grymforge quest. I guess Waukeen's Rest is kind of an edge case since you can miss what is happening. Also there are quests that advance the story without you realising like not being able to continue with Karlach's quest in Act 1 due to the Grove events making the NPC you need leave.

Edit: On that note it is super annoying how completing the Shar temple fails one of the Moonrise quests. Though technically they warn you, it is not something you would expect.

Last edited:

Drake

Try the monastery teleporter point further in the same area as the Gith patrol.
Yeah, she was at the Gith patrol, she was dead, but after I took out the patrol I was able to rez her. Finally got her in my party.

Top Bottom