• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Zug

Oh, I just saw this afer I finished changing her to Life. Never mind, I'll see how I get on with this version and maybe change again if she's not badass enough. It's good to finally have a proper healer, I really didn't know what I was missing.
Depending on your choices, it might feel adequate to respec her into light. Very strong defensive (warding flare) and offensive (fireball!fireball!fireball!) spec, even though life is very consistent as well with the better heals, AE heal and plate armor. Trickery is good as well for CC but can feel redondant with a bard or wizard who has access to the illusion/ench spells.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Oh, I just saw this afer I finished changing her to Life. Never mind, I'll see how I get on with this version and maybe change again if she's not badass enough. It's good to finally have a proper healer, I really didn't know what I was missing.

As someone else said, light is decent too. War and tempest are probably the best two overall although it's close between everything. Going life for a pure healer is great since every healing spell you cast has extra healing added and also heals you at the same time I believe.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I have been targeting to get the game on PS5 just to find out it wont have any physical edition.

Guess I'll have to wait on a sale, because I haven't bought a 70€ game at launch in a very long time and it's not about to change.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

DosGamer

Yeah a bit shocked to hear that the game will not get a physical release on PS5. I miss my physical copies that come with the fold out maps. The good old days!

calistan

As someone else said, light is decent too. War and tempest are probably the best two overall although it's close between everything. Going life for a pure healer is great since every healing spell you cast has extra healing added and also heals you at the same time I believe.
One thing I noticed while doing the respec is that I never actually used the trickery abilities at all. Something that just passed me by, I think, it wasn't required for the way I was playing. I ought to look at all the characters and see if there's a more effective way to build them.

I've never played anything that's got so much stuff going on. More importantly, I actually care about it - usually I'm just picking something obvious from a skill tree, knowing I'll probably fill in all the most important parts eventually, but here I'm thinking about how each new ability is going to mesh with the rest of the party, even though I'm only ever scratching the surface. So, so good.

Tomeru

So I finished the game, and I am quite bummed because:

I went full gaick (only myself) and I decided to end my life. (My love) shadowheart didn't say anything at all at no point. Astarion didn't say shit. Gale was nowhere to be found, and wyll was silent as well. The only one that spoke was jahira - and I only took her with me twice during act 3! Karlah went boom all alone. Wtf is up with this ending? Was my game bugged? I had no romance scenes with shadowheart either, besides drinking wine a couple of time in act 1. Did almost all available quests too. Only had a couple on side ones in acts, and obviously gale's one to do. But gale went mia... I want to cry now.

I want to do another run anyway so whatever, but if this is how it'll be again - I'll riot.

Markio128

Gold Member
Go to the Underdark he said. Should be easier he said.

Yeah, lasted 2 minutes before being utterly destroyed by a one-eyed tentacled bastard,

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I want to do another run anyway so whatever, but if this is how it'll be again - I'll riot.

It's a thing. They've already patched it one character's slightly extended ending and will be adding more back in. For whatever crazy reason they thought they'd reduce the amount of epilogue down to... very very little. The game's already an all-timer but it'll be better in the definitive edition in 1-2 years.

There's definitely a romance scene with your chosen beloved you missed along the way though.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

Yeah, lasted 2 minutes before being utterly destroyed by a one-eyed tentacled bastard,

*pushes up nerd glasses*

ACTUALLY, that encounter is a Spectator, not a beholder. They only have 4 eyestalks and are usually set to guard specific areas/treasure.

Last edited:

skit_data

Having a lot of issues with "examine" not working at all on PS5 despite several restarts and I guess I'm not the only one? It eventually works but having to restart the game several times is a real mood killer. I really hope Larian brings some kind of fix asap.

Markio128

Gold Member
Having a lot of issues with "examine" not working at all on PS5 despite several restarts and I guess I'm not the only one? It eventually works but having to restart the game several times is a real mood killer. I really hope Larian brings some kind of fix asap.
I could be barking up the wrong tree here, but if you’re talking about not being able to access a chest for example, you can just keep your finger held on ‘x’ and it’ll let you access anything within a radius.

skit_data

I could be barking up the wrong tree here, but if you’re talking about not being able to access a chest for example, you can just keep your finger held on ‘x’ and it’ll let you access anything within a radius.
Nah, that one I've figured out already :) Its when examining objects in the inventory, enemies etc. The command just stops responding from time to time, I'm pretty sure it's a bug because after one or two reloads or quickloads it works again. It seem to happen more often when playing split screen but it happened when I was playing solo as well.
Saw a couple of threads on reddit saying the issue seems to have been caused by the latest patch which aligns with my own experience, hopefully they'll fix it soon.

lmimmfn

And here's me just starting the underdark, that sounds like fun lol

On PC I'm finding that every few hours the camera control for middle mouse button stops working, remapping fixes it but it's very annoying.

Last edited:

Tahj

Spent a couple of hours in BG3 today...it was a
house of horrors. Necromancer Balthazaar's chambers made me question yrs of playing a Necro in EverQuest, then on to the House of Healing & it's pure nastiness.
-- Love this game, & how it can be a rather chill experience & holy hell the next :)

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Spent a couple of hours in BG3 today...it was a
house of horrors. Necromancer Balthazaar's chambers made me question yrs of playing a Necro in EverQuest, then on to the House of Healing & it's pure nastiness.
-- Love this game, & how it can be a rather chill experience & holy hell the next :)

I like that they don't shy away from horror. I almost want to say I consider Dungeons & Dragons to be Dark Fantasy. Not to the degree of Warhammer Fantasy or Berserk but still in the genre.

Doom85

Damn, glad I stocked up on potions galore.

A bit into Act 2 spoilers:

Went through the Githyanki quest today. After having to fight the Inquisitor, I was told by the Githyanki goddess to go kill the mysterious person in Shadowheart’s artifact.

Only I had used both of my short rests prior, and the Inquisitor area didn’t allow you to camp. I try to leave the area so I can long rest, but I see in the distance the Githyanki commander and two dogs and two soldiers waiting for me before I can reach the point where I can head for camp.

Ralph Wiggum Danger GIF

Like I said, thankfully I had a bunch of potions, so I went ahead and entered the artifact, did the dialogue, and went out and killed the commander and her team, with some difficulty.

Was able to long rest, and then clear out the rest of the base.

Then, upon heading back to the Druid grove to sell some items, I’m met by two Githyanki who want to take down their corrupt goddess, and with some convincing, Lae’zel agrees.

Finally, my casual friend with benefits/potential girlfriend is truly part of the team.

Mission Accomplished GIF

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Played an hour on PS5. It’s fun. It just takes getting use to the wheels and tabbing in/out of menus. I’m doing split screen, so it’s like it’s own half a world of chaos. The more I play, the better it is. I’m use to the classic keyboard and mouse. Definitely takes some getting use to.

Longest load times I’ve had on a PS5 game to date. You almost need a 70” TV to do this co-op thing.

This port isn’t my first choice, but my spouse is playing it. More game time. Thank God you can zoom the camera to a closer perspective and view things that way. I don’t know why they have to show the gamer tag icons on screen. It screws up the turn overlay. I hope I can turn that off.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I first changed her domain to Life, but soon after respecced to Light domain which I highly recommend. Light both gives good healing but also makes her able to dish out some good damage🙌.
There's no subclass of cleric which isn't able to "dish out good damage". The cleric is in general one of the strongest classes in D&D 5th edition (and it used to be even better in some of the past ones).
That said, among the available ones my favorite subclass flavor-wise is the Tempest Cleric.

Vaelka

I’m still only on act 1 but this is easily my GOTY. I’m so glad that I have a long weekend coming up because it’s a nightmare trying to squeeze in an hour here and there.

I think this about summarizes at least 95% of the hype surrounding the game lol.
I really wish people would finish games before hyping them or saying they should win this and that.

Same with the PS release it just shoots up in the ratings even tho people couldn't possibly have beaten or barely even started it yet.
It feels like people are just using Larian to '' send a message '' more than the actual quality of the game itself.

Cyberpunkd

Mac version is for "later this month". People are speculating it is held back on purpose to time with the Apple event next week, sad if true.

TheRealElvis

Neo Member
Mac version is for "later this month". People are speculating it is held back on purpose to time with the Apple event next week, sad if true.
Should I wait and play BG on my MacBook or should I buy it for the PS5. Is the experience superior with a keyboard/mouse? Other advantages?

Cyberpunkd

Should I wait and play BG on my MacBook or should I buy it for the PS5. Is the experience superior with a keyboard/mouse? Other advantages?
If you have a Mac with M1 or M2 chip I would wait, the version is going to be native. I think we should get very, very good performance. Yes, keyboard and mouse is superior, loading time should also be much faster.

Braag

*pushes up nerd glasses*

ACTUALLY, that encounter is a Spectator, not a beholder. They only have 4 eyestalks and are usually set to guard specific areas/treasure.
Lol was about to say the same. From what I've understood, Beholder is way more dangerous than a Spectator.

Doom85

That's still technically Act 1 ;)
(also while you were there, there's a very good weapon to get in the monastery)

Hey, can you tell me this then?

I did all of the Underdark up to the elevator that gave me the same message as when I was at the mountain pass entrance.

Will at some point heading back down to the Underdark and using that elevator mess anything up, or am I free to explore both routes?

I wanted at least to get to the crèche because early on in the mountain pass area, Lae’zel implied she might go directly there by herself if we dick around too much, so I didn’t want to risk that if that was a possibility. But now I’ve sorted all that out, I’m curious about the other route as well.

Isendurl

I think this about summarizes at least 95% of the hype surrounding the game lol.
I really wish people would finish games before hyping them or saying they should win this and that.

Same with the PS release it just shoots up in the ratings even tho people couldn't possibly have beaten or barely even started it yet.
It feels like people are just using Larian to '' send a message '' more than the actual quality of the game itself.
That guy is not even saying it should win anything, he just said it's his GOTY so far.

I finished the game and I think it should win GOTY, AMA.

Last edited:
Hey, can you tell me this then?

I did all of the Underdark up to the elevator that gave me the same message as when I was at the mountain pass entrance.

Will at some point heading back down to the Underdark and using that elevator mess anything up, or am I free to explore both routes?

I wanted at least to get to the crèche because early on in the mountain pass area, Lae’zel implied she might go directly there by herself if we dick around too much, so I didn’t want to risk that if that was a possibility. But now I’ve sorted all that out, I’m curious about the other route as well.
Act 2 starts when you enter the Shadowlands, which you can access from either the elevator you mentioned in Grymforge, or by going through the mountain pass. It's perfectly possible to do both the Underdark and the crèche - actually you might be able to go back to Act 1 areas even after entering Act 2, until you reach a point of no return later on, although I didn't need to so I didn't try.

Doom85

Act 2 starts when you enter the Shadowlands, which you can access from either the elevator you mentioned in Grymforge, or by going through the mountain pass. It's perfectly possible to do both the Underdark and the crèche - actually you might be able to go back to Act 1 areas even after entering Act 2, until you reach a point of no return later on, although I didn't need to so I didn't try.

Game Show Thank You GIF by Kinda Funny

calistan

You can always travel back to the act 1 areas, right up until you commit to the ending of act 2. I went back a few times to massacre goblins and githyanki for the XP.

It was quite gratifying to go back to places that were once daunting battles and just annihilate everything. Lae'zel didn't have a problem with slaughtering the younglings, and she got inspiration from the sheer amount of goblin death we inflicted. Tsk.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Guys is it normal to almost hit level 7 still in act 1? I have done the Githyanki stuff and underdark and still not reached the moonrise towers.

Last edited:

AV

Guys is it normal to almost hit level 7 still in act 1? I have done the Githyanki stuff and underdark and still not reached the moonrise towers.

There's no "normal", play how you like. In a completionist run you'll hit max level very quickly but you can still get stronger via gear.

G-Bus

Banned
Played for two hours last night. An hour of that was spent making my character. Went with a human warlock. Have a feeling this won't be my only character.

Sure is a lot to take in.

Doom85

Played for two hours last night. An hour of that was spent making my character.

James Franco Reaction GIF

No worries, I too spent a long time making my first character (Dwarf Rogue), and my future playthroughs I doubt I’ll be much faster.

Went with a human warlock. Have a feeling this won't be my only character.

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

It can be overwhelming for those not familiar with D&D, but just go at your own pace. If you’re worried about missing out on anything in particular, like maybe recruiting most party members or such, I’m sure there are a ton of relatively spoiler-free guides you can check, as well as just general advice guides.

AV

Played for two hours last night. An hour of that was spent making my character. Went with a human warlock. Have a feeling this won't be my only character.

Just so you know, you can respec (after not long in the game) any companions to anything you want. So if/when you run into the warlock companion, if you like them, you can keep them around without doubling up.

Just so you know, you can respec (after not long in the game) any companions to anything you want. So if/when you run into the warlock companion, if you like them, you can keep them around without doubling up.

Doubling up on warlocks has been great. Especially when you get the second eldritch blast per round, I fuck shit up with my ranged game.

calistan

My party is a bit stuck, unable to do a long rest, because the main character has a 'you cannot fast travel in your current condition' error.

Seems to be a bug, she has no status ailments. I can trace it back to a save where she disarmed a trap but nothing happened, and the trap remained set. According to the internets, it can sometimes be fixed by killing and resurrecting the affected character, but as I'm in a really busy area (the bridge to the city) I think that might cause aggro.

My party is a bit stuck, unable to do a long rest, because the main character has a 'you cannot fast travel in your current condition' error.

Seems to be a bug, she has no status ailments. I can trace it back to a save where she disarmed a trap but nothing happened, and the trap remained set. According to the internets, it can sometimes be fixed by killing and resurrecting the affected character, but as I'm in a really busy area (the bridge to the city) I think that might cause aggro.
u in act 3? i started getting a lot of bugs in act 3

Top Bottom