• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Markio128

Gold Member
I’ve managed to get my team to level to 5 now, so the Underdark is a little less ominous. Saying that, I’ve just found myself at some arcane tower, protected by magical turrets. I’m currently dashing and hiding my way through the tower and it’s outer walls without any obvious end goal in sight.

Doom85

I’ve managed to get my team to level to 5 now, so the Underdark is a little less ominous. Saying that, I’ve just found myself at some arcane tower, protected by magical turrets. I’m currently dashing and hiding my way through the tower and it’s outer walls without any obvious end goal in sight.

Jason Bateman GIF by MOODMAN

I completely forgot to go back to that place as IIRC I didn’t explore it fully, and I’m in Act 2 now. I think I might be able to go back at some point, because there was one side quest in the Underdark I was completely stumped on how I could even reach the location it was marked at, and checking a guide real quick it basically said, ”come back at some point in Act 2.”

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Jason Bateman GIF by MOODMAN

I completely forgot to go back to that place as IIRC I didn’t explore it fully, and I’m in Act 2 now. I think I might be able to go back at some point, because there was one side quest in the Underdark I was completely stumped on how I could even reach the location it was marked at, and checking a guide real quick it basically said, ”come back at some point in Act 2.”

You can still fast travel to act 1 areas in act 2, yeah.

Worth checking out that tower, really cool little mini adventure IMO.

Man, the Temple of Shar is rough. The big battle with a demon and like a dozen adds is like a brick wall for me, I've tried several different strats and I haven't even come close.

I saw an alternative to the fight on a wiki, but it doesn't seem to be working for me, dunno if it's bugged or if I'm just doing something wrong.

I'd prefer to just kill the damn demon, but I don't see that happening without another level or two.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Man, the Temple of Shar is rough. The big battle with a demon and like a dozen adds is like a brick wall for me, I've tried several different strats and I haven't even come close.

I saw an alternative to the fight on a wiki, but it doesn't seem to be working for me, dunno if it's bugged or if I'm just doing something wrong.

I'd prefer to just kill the damn demon, but I don't see that happening without another level or two.

Use the Golem Summoning Bell You can get from Balthazar

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

As above, use the thing you get. Also are you approaching from the top? You can sneak behind the ambush and ambush them yourself, you get a free round of attacks via surprise and you can really fuck the room up before the fight even starts. Any sort of slowing + AOE damage spell on the adds on the upper floor is good, i.e. hadar for warlocks or vines for druids, icy storm for wizards etc.

Focus down all the adds first so you're not getting attacked from 12 places at once in each round

Yeah....golem went down like a two pump chump, didn't even kill a single add.

*sighs*

I'm gonna try the ambush strat one more time with the golem. If that doesn't work I guess I'll go grind down some sidequests and see if I can gain a level.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Yeah....golem went down like a two pump chump, didn't even kill a single add.

*sighs*

I'm gonna try the ambush strat one more time with the golem. If that doesn't work I guess I'll go grind down some sidequests and see if I can gain a level.

I actually talked my way out of that fight and talked the demon into killing itself manipulating its thinking on the contract it signed with Rafael. I think you can also attempt to turn the Displacer Beast against the demon

I actually talked my way out of that fight and talked the demon into killing itself manipulating its thinking on the contract it signed with Rafael. I think you can also attempt to turn the Displacer Beast against the demon

wtf, I've got my warlock with 18 charisma and all kinds of deception/persuasion bonuses and that didn't even come up. I'll try some different dialogue choices.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Should I respec Shadowheart as a Paladin. I'm a ranger. My wife wants to play as a Cleric, but I like Shadowheart and think she's cool

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Should I respec Shadowheart as a Paladin. I'm a ranger. My wife wants to play as a Cleric, but I like Shadowheart and think she's cool

Your wife wants to use Shadowheart?

There are Cleric subclasses focused on damage that you can respec her to.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
She made her own character, which happened to be a cleric. I want Shadowheart to be in our party, because I think she's cool. But I don't want two clerics lol. So I was thinking of changing Shadowheart to Paladin

These loading times are 1000 times worse when you're stuck on the same fight. I'd save scum the shit outta every turn if they weren't so bad.

AV

She made her own character, which happened to be a cleric. I want Shadowheart to be in our party, because I think she's cool. But I don't want two clerics lol. So I was thinking of changing Shadowheart to Paladin

Paladins are great, go for it. Utility and shit ton of damage when done right.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

That's a good choice. Paladin of Shar fits Shadowheart.

calistan

Have you picked the flowers from the sussur tree yet?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Finished moonrise towers and now to head to baldur's gate. That was really something. My mind is fucked from all the combat lol.

How do I increase Karlach damage?
AtRG3S1.png

This is how she is in my current game.

I don't understand how the damage is calculated, but I don't get anywhere near the maximum damage available.

Act 3 has ruined the game for me. No way I can trust anyone that says its legit awesome when Act 3 is an overwhelming mess. To make matters worse, even as a character who persuaded himself out of combat, I ended up at max level shortly after playing a bit in Act 3 and now everything I do is kinda useless as theres no incentive to do any side stuff. Main quests give you the best stuff and I have gathered most of the allies and I still have some companion quests but all of it feels unrewarding as fuck. I cant get stronger in the game in a fucking RPG. Larians decision to cap the level was idiotic to say the least. Im at shadowhearts quest and I ahve to fight 50 fucking enemies with a lot of them spamming aoe blind. To make matters worse, I keep spawning 2 angels from my ass for some fucking reason, even tho i have no debuff on me. I looked it up and its a curse, but theres no actual curse on me so Im stuck with a perma bug and having to fight 2 extra tough enemies forever? The amount of turkey stuffing in act 3 is unbearing. Fuck ACT 3.

The only awesome part was
the Raphael quest. It even had its own unique song at the end unlike literally all other boss fights so far

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Had to drop the co-op experience on PS5. It got super boring. Spending a whole evening in one battle just isn’t fun. Even when we win the battle, it’s so exhausting. It’s definitely a well rounded game, but it also feels like it’s for people with unlimited time to do 1 or 2 things. Plus the game looks kinda ugly with the wheels and multiple menus.

My spouse got thrown in jail. I went to the jail, was forced to listen to some conversation, she tries to get out, she’s jumping onto rocks, and it was overall a pretty 💩 experience. I also think the game is choppy. I wanted to like this more, but I can’t stand this on console.

Last edited:

geary

Aproach it from the top. There’s an kinda door you ca use as a chokepoit and keep firing AoE spells when the enemies aproach you. They drop down like flies. Don’t be aggressive, just wait behind the entrance and wait for them to come to you one by one.

Doom85

My spouse got thrown in jail. I went to the jail, was forced to listen to some conversation, she tries to get out, she’s jumping onto rocks, and it was overall a pretty 💩 experience.

That sounds like a pretty wild Friday night, but we’re talking about Baldur’s Gate 3, not what any of us are forced to do when reality forces us away from the game and makes us go outside. Try to keep on topic.

:messenger_winking:

Finally finished it. I prefer Divinity OS2 combat, so in that regard gameplay DOS2>BG3. I fucking hate bs dice rolls. Hardly any skill involved other just pure luck. Divinity had amazing spell combination mechanics. Story, audio, tech, BG3 is better. Prolly gonna rate it at 8.5 or something like that. I would need to replay it and maybe in coop as well in a year or so when its fully fixed, because atm, act 3 is kind of a mess. Didnt like the ending even tho I got what I wanted and it was a happy one.

Was finishing up some side shit and jumped 2 levels up to 8. Tomorrow morning I'll take my vengeance on Balthazar, he was fucking me up at 6th level.

Finally finished it. I prefer Divinity OS2 combat, so in that regard gameplay DOS2>BG3. I fucking hate bs dice rolls. Hardly any skill involved other just pure luck. Divinity had amazing spell combination mechanics. Story, audio, tech, BG3 is better. Prolly gonna rate it at 8.5 or something like that. I would need to replay it and maybe in coop as well in a year or so when its fully fixed, because atm, act 3 is kind of a mess. Didnt like the ending even tho I got what I wanted and it was a happy one.
Agree strongly about act 3 bringing it way down but I would still give it 9.0 because act 1 and 2 were sooo amazing, and I agree about divinity vs dice rolls also but despite that I feel this is the best computer game version of dnd dice combat so that's something

In my ending some polys didnt even have textures lol. can't wait for enhanced edition to fix it all in 2025 so I can agree with public opinion about this game

Act 3 has ruined the game for me. No way I can trust anyone that says its legit awesome when Act 3 is an overwhelming mess. To make matters worse, even as a character who persuaded himself out of combat, I ended up at max level shortly after playing a bit in Act 3 and now everything I do is kinda useless as theres no incentive to do any side stuff. Main quests give you the best stuff and I have gathered most of the allies and I still have some companion quests but all of it feels unrewarding as fuck. I cant get stronger in the game in a fucking RPG. Larians decision to cap the level was idiotic to say the least...
I watched some youtube video about it and it seems the level cap problem comes from dnd not being designed to be a computer game. That's also why Larian say they won't do an expansion. Like apparently the type of spells and powers you get at higher levels in dnd are so abstract that it's really hard to translate that from a tabletop setting to gaming. Since I don't play dnd that's hard to picture but I sort of get it... Like shadowheart got a power called "divine intervention" where she can call on God to come help out. But only once. Like ever. In the whole playthrough. How does he help? Dunno because I was saving it for the right moment and forgot to use it lol. So there must be even crazier stuff than that and it must be very hard to picture how such things would work in a computer game

calistan

I might finally be getting a bit fatigued by this, or at least I'm no longer feeling the urge to play in every spare moment. Possibly a symptom of having played over 100 hours since launch, which is a shitload for me - it just pips MGS V for the most hours I've put into any game on Steam, and I probably have a lot more left to go.

Act 3 seems less interesting to explore. A really dense city full of buildings and tiny rooms is not as exciting for me as something like discovering the swamp area with the teahouse, or exploring Grymforge.

Previously it was sparsely populated enough that I was talking to every person I encountered, but now there are hundreds of them. A lot are labelled 'citizen' or whatever, so I know they're just scenery, but there are plenty of named characters who have nothing much to say. Like, I found some woman who just hummed a bit of a song that she said was stuck in her head. Don't waste my time with that crap.

I found a haunted house that makes a mockery of the XP I worked hard to get in the rest of the game. Wiping out weak poltergeists for 250 XP a pop - level up, level up. I'll be maxed out pretty soon, and I'm kind of hoping the end isn't too far away.

AV

Act 3 has ruined the game for me. No way I can trust anyone that says its legit awesome when Act 3 is an overwhelming mess. To make matters worse, even as a character who persuaded himself out of combat, I ended up at max level shortly after playing a bit in Act 3 and now everything I do is kinda useless as theres no incentive to do any side stuff. Main quests give you the best stuff and I have gathered most of the allies and I still have some companion quests but all of it feels unrewarding as fuck. I cant get stronger in the game in a fucking RPG. Larians decision to cap the level was idiotic to say the least. Im at shadowhearts quest and I ahve to fight 50 fucking enemies with a lot of them spamming aoe blind. To make matters worse, I keep spawning 2 angels from my ass for some fucking reason, even tho i have no debuff on me. I looked it up and its a curse, but theres no actual curse on me so Im stuck with a perma bug and having to fight 2 extra tough enemies forever? The amount of turkey stuffing in act 3 is unbearing. Fuck ACT 3.

You do cap early, but much more so if you play the game in a completionist manner early on. I did two back-to-back runs and intentionally skipped a lot of content in the first to see the second time and it was a much smoother experience, with me getting to 12 before the final big story fights. The issue is, apparently in DND at levels 10+ you become insanely powerful (felt that way in BG3 at 12) and they can't have side content that's more powerful than the thing that's about to take over the world, so if they raised the cap, they'd have to design the final fights to be appropriate to that new cap. That encourages players to be more completionist and it really doesn't feel like the game is designed that way when it tells you things like "you should go through the mountain pass OR the underdark" and "you should side with the goblins OR the druids". Assault moonrise head on OR sneak in the back, etc. Nothing wrong with people map clearing but I don't think it's the better way to play.

Act 3 still has some excellent stuff even if it's got issues. The iron throne rescue, the whole Orin segment, the endgame, the circus, mystic carrion, the Shadowheart climax, Cazador, house of hope, the Minsc arc. Surprised you hated it so much. You DO get stronger via some of the crazy loot you can find, there's two objects in the house of hope in particular that I didn't get on playthrough 1 that are just insane for instance, and that's all totally optional.

AV

How do I increase Karlach damage?
AtRG3S1.png

This is how she is in my current game.

I don't understand how the damage is calculated, but I don't get anywhere near the maximum damage available.

You ideally want to get strength to 20 ASAP. Start with 17, at level 4 take the athlete feat for +1 strength and the prone + jumping perk, then at level 8 take the ability improvement feat and raise your strength to 20.

That's not the only way to do it, you can find items that raise strength later on and respec away from having to do the above, it's just one way to get there.

they'd have to design the final fights to be appropriate to that new cap.

Which is what they should've done. The last fight was underwhelmingly boring af. The excuse that 3.5E vs 5E is that you can get overpowered spells is just a bs excuse for D&D elitists that drink tea with a fork. The point is to have fun and be challenging at the same time. Let the player have overpowered spells, thats what growing your character is supposed to do, I mean u save the fucking world in the most safe way possible.

Raphael fight/song was far more epic than final fight lmao. Hell, Raphael as a villain was far better than the 3 dumdums.

The iron throne rescue,

Nah, fuck that, you have this awesome cutscene underwater and I was expecting finally to explore a cool ass place only to be met with a 5 rund gtfo of there. Cazador fight was pathetic. Shadowheart's story and ending was all that I liked, I also liked Gale as a character and I kinda liked dealing with the douche in the mage tower, but the rest of the companions? Eeeeeeeeeeeeh

Act 3 was rushed heavily. The sewers and undercity were a pos from a level design point of view. Lmao at that huge ass open area in the undercity where they have these enemy archers put at the window only for them to dash towards you because whoever was the idiot who designed that map made it too big and all enemies just had to walk towards you. Fucking lol.

Last edited:

AV

Which is what they should've done. The last fight was underwhelmingly boring af. The excuse that 3.5E vs 5E is that you can get overpowered spells is just a bs excuse for D&D elitists that drink tea with a fork. The point is to have fun and be challenging at the same time. Let the player have overpowered spells, thats what growing your character is supposed to do, I mean u save the fucking world in the most safe way possible.

Raphael fight/song was far more epic than final fight lmao. Hell, Raphael as a villain was far better than the 3 dumdums.

Nah, fuck that, you have this awesome cutscene underwater and I was expecting finally to explore a cool ass place only to be met with a 5 rund gtfo of there. Cazador fight was pathetic. Shadowheart's story and ending was all that I liked, I also liked Gale as a character and I kinda liked dealing with the douche in the mage tower, but the rest of the companions? Eeeeeeeeeeeeh

I already felt absurdly overpowered by the endgame, I didn't really want/need more. In the final fight in run #1 I had a party of 4, some with permanent buffs and obscene gear, with elixirs, potions and poisons out the eyeballs, 6 summoned entities, the huge <important story character> assist, not to mention the ally summons you can use. I just feel like even 3 more levels on top of that would feel silly, I didn't need it personally.

Everyone's mileage will vary though, it's a valid complaint. I just think act 3 gets a bit too unfairly shat on due to the quality of acts 1 and 2. It has its issues but it's still the biggest part of the game and has some amazing resolutions for stuff you did dozens of hours beforehand. Just a shame about the performance for a lot of people.

I had a party of 4, some with permanent buffs and obscene gear, with elixirs, potions and poisons out the eyeballs, 6 summoned entities, the huge <important story character> assist

Because the game wasnt balanced around high levels. Its clearly made for safe casuals. You never have to use your resist all elixirs in the entire game and you just kinda save everything for the final fight only to be met with...that. It would've been very easy to make high level areas in the game and warn players before going to the final confrontantion that it will be extremely difficult. I mean that exact warning is literally before entering the portal to House of Hope. But balancing wasnt a priority for Larian. Their games are in my top 10 of all time but I cant ignore the bs they pulled with Act 3.

Beating Balthazar on the first try this morning was very therapeutic, now to polish off Moonrise.
I'm assuming that will open up act 3, then I can see what all the fuss is about.

I´m playing as a hotheaded half-orc barb who responds to insults with violence and the underdark is quickly becoming a duergar graveyard. Bonus points to the genius who took a break from whipping his slaves to call me a pussy two steps from the edge of a volcano. I must´ve pushed at least a dozen of these assholes to their demise by now :D

calistan

One the positive side, this is a first. On the negative side, it happened just after going through the process of levelling up my party and I was just about to complete a quest.

NZt1BiJ.png

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Finished it last night. Definitely a top 5 game for me probably the best. I don't get the complaints about Act 3. That final battle was a doozy. Couldn't imagine doing it on Tactician Mode.

Doom85

Finished it last night. Definitely a top 5 game for me probably the best. I don't get the complaints about Act 3. That final battle was a doozy. Couldn't imagine doing it on Tactician Mode.

Act 2 spoilers:

I’m exploring the towers right now, but went back to the dungeon where Raphael’s enemy is (I misunderstood how to unlock it, I thought a button was at the towers, rather it was right there under a painting of the towers).

Anyway, yeah, Tactician, woof. Everyone seemed to complain about the attack on Last Light Inn when you speak to the lady who maintains the energy shield, but I got through it pretty easily.

But defending Halsin’s portal for four turns, YIKES. I had Wyll cast Wall of Fire and Shadowheart charge all around with Spirit Guardians for the southern enemy spawns, while my Dwarf Rogue and Lae’zel dealt with those spawning to the northwest. But even so, the enemy AI seemed pretty smart here, knowing where to move to get clear shots at the portal and just rushing around my characters. Took my four tries. And this is on normal, I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be on Tactician.

nowhat

There's a way to make that fight (and yes, it's rough) easier. Spoilers, obviously.

Get someone with high insight and charisma/deception skill to initiate the first conversation. If you get the insight right during the dialogue, you get optional deception checks to first for the demon to kill all his regular minions. Then those black thingies. And eventually himself. These get progressively more difficult, of course, but even without his regular minions the fight is way easier.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
respec shadowheart to paladin/fighter with extra turns and healing buffs/smashing 7+5
lazeal = fighter smash
astorian = rogue/ranger/fighter 5+5+2
gale = wizard/fighter 11+1

Basically we take fighter for extra turn and at fighter level 5 you get 2 extra turns.

Act 3 is now fun.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
respec shadowheart to paladin/fighter with extra turns and healing buffs/smashing 7+5
lazeal = fighter smash
astorian = rogue/ranger/fighter 5+5+2
gale = wizard/fighter 11+1

Basically we take fighter for extra turn and at fighter level 5 you get 2 extra turns.

Act 3 is now fun.

Most melee classes get extra attack at level 5

Top Bottom