• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bangai-O HD Missile Fury |OT| It's Not a Shmup

Daigoro

BAN_ProductHeader_F.jpg

Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury is an innovative and insanely addicting, omni-directional arcade shooter combined with puzzle elements that feature a screen-filling, sensory overload of thousands of missiles and more than 100 levels! Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury allows players to unleash their creativity with the Level Editor Tool, which allows them to design their own levels and share them with friends online via Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft! Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury is based on the cult-classic games Bangai-O and Bangai-O Sprits developed by TREASURE, the renowned Japanese videogame developer. This game provides players with strategic and tactical elements, is a must-have for shooter and puzzle game lovers, and fans will have a blast blowing up bosses and lighting up the screen for the first time in high-definition!

• Developer: Treasure
  • Publisher: D3Publisher
  • Platform: Xbox Live Arcade
  • Release Date: May 4, 2011
  • Price: 800MSP $10

bangaiohdboxart.png

FEATURES

• Get ready for an omni-directional, explosive sensory overload onscreen as you fight off thousands of missiles, conquer challenging obstacles, and collect quirky powerups to create Combo Attacks that annihilate your enemies.
  • Design your own original levels with the Level Editor Tool to play and share, either from scratch or by editing any of the existing levels of the game!
  • Developed by award winning, renowned Japanese videogame developer TREASURE.
  • Direct target hits can be strung together to create destructive combos and as combos increase, so does the player’s devastating multi-directional counter attack.
  • Play co-operatively with a friend through the volatile, insane gameplay and face the onslaught of enemies together.
  • More than 100 levels; 47 available in Fury Mode and the rest are unlockable!

SCREENS

bangai-o-hd-missile-fury-screens-20110211110934481.jpg

bangai-o-hd-missile-fury-screens-20110211110854373.jpg

NOT A SHMUP
  • It's not a shmup. It's an innovative and insanely addicting, omni-directional arcade shooter combined with puzzle elements that feature a screen-filling, sensory overload of thousands of missiles! Duh!

Launch Trailer

C-Jo

How similar is this to Bangai-O Spirits? I didn't enjoy that much at all, but the trailer for this looks kind of awesome.

Daigoro

should be a link up soon.

i wanted to reference Space Fruit in the title, but i wasnt sure it it was in the game. now i see the fruit on the cover. doh!

also, exploding buildings and screaming people. im glad that got in too. :)

krYlon

Can't wait to get some Gaf opinions on this game.
I'm literally thinking of buying a 360 just for this. But only if it improves upon the incredible DS version.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
krYlon said:
Can't wait to get some Gaf opinions on this game.
I'm literally thinking of buying a 360 just for this. But only if it improves upon the incredible DS version.

At this point, a 360 is worth it for XBLA alone.

GhaleonQ

C-Jo said:
How similar is this to Bangai-O Spirits? I didn't enjoy that much at all, but the trailer for this looks kind of awesome.

They've pitched it as the same as Bangaio Spirits but with the technological benefits of a console.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/02/treasure-director-talks-developing-bangai-o-hd-missile-fury

Mitsuru Yaida said:
Based on the lessons we learned from Spirits, we aimed to create a game that would be played through strategically. On top of that, we tried to make the appearance and the gameplay flashier to an extent to match the platform. We also implemented phases to the maps, which made it possible to create dynamic maps. That was a big change too.

We wanted to emphasize more on the map solving aspect [by assigning weapons to levels instead of letting players pick them].

Bangaio Spirits is my 7th favorite game ever http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25741820&postcount=366 , so that pleases me.

That said
Mitsuru Yaida said:
This time we limited the amount of parody elements,
Mitsuru Yaida said:
We started off with our base designs, utilizing the game’s Level Editor Tool. We continued to tweak the levels throughout the process. Our overseas Namco Bandai QA team also provided inspiration as they created a lot of unique maps for us. And those inspired our team’s designer to create more great maps. It was a great creative cycle with a bit of competition built in.
cooperative focus,
and the Xbox/downloadable thing will probably prevent it from topping Spirits in my book.

Sophia

adversesolutions said:
Looking forward to reading impressions.

The lack of any real tutorial is a serious deterrent. It doesn't seem to play like the original Bangai-O either (I've never played Spirit.)

Actually kinda fun now that I read through the 29 section "How to play", I guess.

Impressions:

I just shot at things, then I hit a button, and stuff blew up, and then I hit this other button and everything blew up, and then I hit this other button I don't know what the fuck happened but it was glorious. Then I collected a pineapple.

Now on to stage two

GhaleonQ

krYlon said:
Prince Alexander has impeccable taste.

I really really want to play Moon :(

Natch! (Thanks.) (Search for the Moon sequel topics.)

Marrshu said:
The lack of any real tutorial is a serious deterrent. It doesn't seem to play like the original Bangai-O either (I've never played Spirit.)

Actually kinda fun now that I read through the 29 section "How to play", I guess.

I hope that I don't have to say it too often, but "Spirits did it better."

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/bangaio/bangaio.htm

Maybe they changed it because it's downloadable? So, there's no single player story mode?

Sophia

GhaleonQ said:
Natch! (Thanks.)

I hope that I don't have to say it too often, but "Spirits did it better."

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/bangaio/bangaio.htm

Maybe they changed it because it's downloadable? So, there's no single player story mode?

There's some guy at the start that tells you to do something in the game's three trial stages, but it can't really be called a tutorial. The only thing resembling a tutorial was the How To Play.

I'm unimpressed, to say the least. It's a bit fun, but I died more times on Stage 2 than I have in my entire time playing Demon's Souls.

Edit: Impressive. Picked up an item, entire stage was swamped with enemies. Killed shitloads of them, then I died. Total time was like 15 seconds. I don't think think this is going to sell well.

GhaleonQ

Marrshu said:
There's some guy at the start that tells you to do something in the game's three trial stages, but it can't really be called a tutorial. The only thing resembling a tutorial was the How To Play.

Dang. Like it said, they played it perfectly. The characters complained about it being boring for those who were good, and it was extensive for those who played badly.

Marrshu said:
I'm unimpressed, to say the least. It's a bit fun, but I died more times on Stage 2 than I have in my entire time playing Demon's Souls.

NOTE TO ALL FUTURE POSTERS: Don't take dying as hard as you would in a shoot-'em-up or action game (or the original Bangaio). Think of it like a fail state in a puzzle game. You will go insane as the game gets hard if you do otherwise.

krYlon

Yes, if it's anything like Spirits then, it is not a shmup (as the OP says). It is a puzzle/strategy game

GhaleonQ

Okay, I can't read anymore. Astronomy 2/3-term + religion midterm + education policy paper = extended time without playing it.

ARGH. Have fun with the frustration and exultation.

Sophia

krYlon said:
Yes, if it's anything like Spirits then, it is not a shmup (as the OP says). It is a puzzle/strategy game

I'd like to qualify it as a puzzle game, but I have NO fucking clue what I'm doing. None. Nada. I'm just hitting shit and seeing if it works, because there's no tutorial and the How To doesn't explain a whole lot.

krYlon said:
Does it still laugh at you when you die?

Is there slowdown?

These are two big requirements for me.

Yes to slowdown, no to laugh. You just get a "Game over. Retry?"

krYlon

Marrshu said:
I'd like to qualify it as a puzzle game, but I have NO fucking clue what I'm doing. None. Nada. I'm just hitting shit and seeing if it works, because there's no tutorial and the How To doesn't explain a whole lot.

Hmmm, that is a big oversight. They should have included a tutorial for new players.

Marrshu said:
Yes to slowdown, no to laugh. You just get a "Game over. Retry?"

Yay to slowdown! Boo to the lack of laugh!

Sophia

Yeah, I pretty much have no idea what I was doing. I apparently finished stage three by holding down the right trigger and counter-attacking everything with the left. I... think that's how you play? I dunno.

Keyser Soze said:
I keep collecting this thing, and keep dieing because of a swarm of apples.

Just smash Dodge over and over, that's how I apparently got past it. I couldn't actually tell what I was doing because this game isn't color-blind friendly at all.

krYlon

Marrshu said:
Yeah, I pretty much have no idea what I was doing. I apparently finished stage three by holding down the right trigger and counter-attacking everything with the left. I... think that's how you play? I dunno.

Just smash Dodge over and over, that's how I apparently got past it. I couldn't actually tell what I was doing because this game isn't color-blind friendly at all.

You need to wait until the missiles are just about to hit you, then hit your ex-attack. The more that you're under attack, the more powerful your counter attack will be.
Also, if you get hit, your ex attack charges up.
So basically fly into the most dangerous areas and time your ex-attacks just when you're about to get hit.
It's a risk-reward system.

Wait until enemy missiles surround you, hold Left Trigger until your counter is nearly at 100 (you are invincible during this period), release left trigger. Win game.

Sophia

krYlon said:
You need to wait until the missiles are just about to hit you, then hit your ex-attack. The more that you're under attack, the more powerful your counter attack will be.
Also, if you get hit, your ex attack charges up.
So basically fly into the most dangerous areas and time your ex-attacks just when you're about to get hit.
It's a risk-reward system.

Yeah, just figured that out. Would have bee nice if the game actually told me this. Stage 1 & 3 are unusually simple now. Stage 2 is still a pain.

Daigoro

Marrshu said:
Yeah, just figured that out. Would have bee nice if the game actually told me this. Stage 1 & 3 are unusually simple now. Stage 2 is still a pain.

didnt say that in the 29 part How To Play section anywhere?

protip: MISSLE FURY!!!

Even with help I still do not get this. Stage three is still killing me. I am ablle to get of loads of counter attacks, but there is still EVERYTHING left on screen

TwiztidElf

Tried to like the Dreamcast version.
Tried to like the DS version.
This game just never 'clicks' with me.
Will try the XBLA version though.

Sophia

Keyser Soze said:
Even with help I still do not get this. Stage three is still killing me. I am ablle to get of loads of counter attacks, but there is still EVERYTHING left on screen

Keep dashing and freezing as much humanly possible. You pretty much cannot run out on this stage. As long as you're dashing, you're invincible.

Daigoro

TwiztidElf said:
Tried to like the Dreamcast version.
Tried to like the DS version.
This game just never 'clicks' with me.
Will try the XBLA version though.

Maybe you need to try the N64 version.

Mmmmm Space Fruit.

Got 80 Gamerscore after I beat the first stage. The game is interesting but the tutorial is terrible. I honestly have no idea how to play this game.

+ Original music
+ quick and easy to jump into a level, minimal loading
+ 1000 missiles!

- Had no idea how to counter, need to learn it
- level design so far is no where near as good or fun as the first DC levels
- Lack of engrish story

It's not grabbing me yet.

Gowans

Got it, done the tutorial and first stage.

No idea whas happening, lots of missiles everywhere. Hmmm.,?!?

Stage 2 here I come!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, Bangai-O killed my first Dreamcast. Instead of being enraged, I was actually impressed!

I only played a bit of Spirits, but I rather enjoyed it. It's Bangai-O, how could you not?

So now with this arcade offering... I have to say I was smiling all the way through the trial. They say they dropped the parody elements?
Getting attacked by a spin-dash Sonic the Hedgehog, a Ninja with an insane scarf that could either be Hotsuma + Strider combined, and Mecha with what looked like Big red bats, seems silly enough for me!
Didn't seem to matter, the game still has loads of personality. I must have retried Stage 3 50 times, but it continued to click more and more as time went on... the fact that Fast Missles + Freeze + Mashing Counters filled the screen ridiculously, and then adding on the use of MAX mode to shoot 4X the missles, basically brought the Xbox360 to a CRAWL, was insanely satisfying. (Take that HD system! FEEL THE 2D MISSLE BARRAGE!)

The lack of Local Co-Op is pretty dissapointing, however. Do I even wanna know how a game with 5000 missles on screen will work with onlike connectivity? Seems like it'll nuke the internet.

I like the "kinda a puzzle game" setup myself, though I'd love to see DLC that acts as a mini-campaign with boss fights and the like.

As a parting thought, love how the trial says only the BRAVE will unlock the full game! There's no way this game cares about casual players, lol. The last stage in the demo will probably scare away loads, and then if you manage to get past that, it taunts your bravery with a pencilsketch!

ONLY MEN NEED TAKE THE CHALLENGE, TO COLLECT SPACE FRUITS FROM GIANT FURIOUS MECHA!!

Tresure is so awesome ^_^

waru

I played all versions and the XBLA version is the worst ...
I do not understand the lack of tutorial.
I do not buy it, sorry Treasure!

Vorg

Banned
The full game does have a tutorial mode. Kind of. It tells you how to do the moves through text and then puts you in a level to try them. It doesn´t actually teach you while you´re playing.

Oh and actual level 3 is different from the one in the demo.

That said, the game is amazing.

yeah if you unlock the full game it actually explains things, which is a bizarre way to do it because i can't imagine most people trying this having any idea why they're dying every three seconds.

oh well, it was never going to set the charts alight anyway. i'm happy that i can play what amounts to spirits, one of my favourite games ever, only on a system with enough pixels to render the amount of missiles flying around.

Top Bottom