• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bangai-O HD Missile Fury |OT| It's Not a Shmup

Vorg

Banned
anyone know what to do in stage 8? I killed the giant ant and was immediately swarmed by smaller ants and insta-killed.. :(

Bought it earlier and.....despite being a huge fan of the Dreamcast version I'm not getting on too well with this initially :(

I'm putting it down to not having learnt the mechanics (freezing, counter, dash) yet, so hopefully the more time I put into it the more I'll start to enjoy it.

JKTrix

Heck yeah, top 10 in stage 1. First and probably only time I'll be on any top 10 leaderboards, and will likely be short-lived.

The tutorial mode tells you everything it does in the 'How To Play' section of Help & Options. Instead of giving you 29 pages of everything at once, it breaks it down into Basic Controls, Dash Skills, and EX Skills and gives you the opportunity to practice each of those segments to get the hang of it.

If you are having troubles on a stage, you can look at the Leaderboards and watch replays of the top 10 players to see how they did it.

I do miss the ability to choose whatever weapons you want before a stage, though.

hipgnosis

Holy shit this game is brutal. I've beaten almost every level in Spirits, but this game totally kicked my ass in stage 3. Might have to practice those new moves a bit more.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Only another 2~3 hours until I leave work and play this until the early hours of the morning WOO!

Ohh I cannot wait :D

I am hoping this is a lot harder than Spirits as that game was pretty easy, but hell of a lot of fun.

waru said:
I played all versions and the XBLA version is the worst ...
I do not understand the lack of tutorial.
I do not buy it, sorry Treasure!
Every game on XBLA has a "Help & Options" section. It's basically a digital manual and you should get used to using it because that's the future standard for manuals.

geebee

Banned
After enjoying the Dreamcast game so much, Spirits just felt... empty. I couldn't get over the fact that yes, it was a portable version. The entire time I played it I was just wishing for a new console release, so now that it's here I'm happy and enjoying it. Buy it!

geebee

Banned
jay said:
I love the DC version but skipped Spirits. Will I be lost and terrible at this game?
You should get into the hang of things fairly quickly. A lot of the game will feel familiar. I'd say the only people who might be lost and terrible at the game are people completely new to the series.

Welp I bought this game immediately after finally beating stage 3.

If you are having trouble with it just hold down the right trigger to stay in perpetual dash mode and counter (left trigger... recharged by all those fruits that are flying at you as you kill stuff) as frequently as possible. It does help to try and take out the large robots first (the guys that spin around and the baseball bat and ninja robots) as quickly as possible because they can kill you if you miss a counter.

Also launch your counter attacks before they hit 100 otherwise you will start taking damage (you basically die instantly if one of the big robots is nearby).

Also the lower right room has a ton of guided missile launchers in it so it's a good idea to take that out quickly, switch to the fast shot and use the right stick to aim the counter attack straight into them (or just dash right up into the middle of them and unleash it in all directions) otherwise most of your missiles will be absorbed by the missiles they are firing.

Gonna wait to play the full game tonight but already i'm pumped up from the 3 stages in the trial.

Mike M

Nick N
Anyone willing to provide a summary of changes to the gameplay versus Spirits? People keep mentioning the counter, is that something different from the EX attack? What are the available weapons in this game (I.e. are Break and Napalm shots still in, etc.)

Going to end up buying it regardless, but I'm too curious to wait until I get home and download it to find out the differences.

Daigoro

LOVING IT so far. only up to stage 9 or 10 though.

i have a top 10 and a top 2 time so far. weeee day 1! you know that shit will be gone in an hour. :p

acidspunk said:
anyone know what to do in stage 8? I killed the giant ant and was immediately swarmed by smaller ants and insta-killed.. :(

he tells you to watch for the item that drops. the giant drops Napalm (im pretty sure thats it), you have to shoot it and pick it up, then anything that gets close to you blows up real good.

it automatically switches to the new wep when you get it. just shoot and avoid getting surrounded.

*edit: i posted new pics in the OP. in the one with the ants you can see the power up you are supposed to get at the bottom of the screen. that guy died. gotta get the Napalm asap.

Rygar 8 Bit said:
want to buy now but gotta listen to giantbombcast WHAT DO GAF!!?

BUY BUY BUY!

geebee said:
After enjoying the Dreamcast game so much, Spirits just felt... empty. I couldn't get over the fact that yes, it was a portable version. The entire time I played it I was just wishing for a new console release, so now that it's here I'm happy and enjoying it. Buy it!

i feel the same way. didnt love Spirits, thought it was ok. loving this so far though.

Mike M said:
Anyone willing to provide a summary of changes to the gameplay versus Spirits? People keep mentioning the counter, is that something different from the EX attack? What are the available weapons in this game (I.e. are Break and Napalm shots still in, etc.)

Going to end up buying it regardless, but I'm too curious to wait until I get home and download it to find out the differences.

off the top of my head (might get some stuff wrong, havent played Spirits in forever):

you cant choose weapon load out. its based on the stage.

right trigger gives you invulnerable Dash, or Freeze. important to learn how to use this properly. you have a gauge of three that recharges in 3 seconds or when you use an EX attack.

X button puts you in MAX mode. you have unlimited Dash and your weapons are at max power. after it wears off, you are immobile though.

Dachande

jay said:
I love the DC version but skipped Spirits. Will I be lost and terrible at this game?

I'm in the same boat. You'll be lost for a while, there's far more to it than the DC version, but eventually it starts clicking.

Daigoro

i do miss Riki, Mami and Miss M. the first game was so good. i miss the wacky story.

we still have some of the musical themes from the first game though. thats nice.

blowing up buildings feels good too.

Tain

Absolute initial impression: lol, what a visual hot joke this is. Initially absolutely unreadable.

I'm glad Treasure made the right call and got rid of the weapon select screen. Such a dumb decision in the DS game that definitely took it down a few notches.

I'm buying this, I think. That reason above combined with the first three stages make me guess that this is definitely going to be better than Spirits.

okno

I. Need. This. Game.

I don't have a 360. That's a problem.

I need to get a 360.

What a predicament.

Loved the shit out of Spirits and this sounds like Spirits with a little more emphasis on the puzzle elements. One thing I found overwhelming about Spirits was the ability to choose whatever weapons I wanted before each stage, because there were a lot of combinations. On the flipside, I loved re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-retrying stages with different weapon combos to see how I could beat each stage differently! That's something I'll miss with this game.

All y'all bitches: You stink.

Vorg

Banned
Daigoro said:
he tells you to watch for the item that drops. the giant drops Napalm (im pretty sure thats it), you have to shoot it and pick it up, then anything that gets close to you blows up real good.

it automatically switches to the new wep when you get it. just shoot and avoid getting surrounded.

*edit: i posted new pics in the OP. in the one with the ants you can see the power up you are supposed to get at the bottom of the screen. that guy died. gotta get the Napalm asap.

Thanks Daigoro. Will try again when I get home.

Tain

If you are having trouble with it just hold down the right trigger to stay in perpetual dash mode and counter (left trigger... recharged by all those fruits that are flying at you as you kill stuff) as frequently as possible. It does help to try and take out the large robots first (the guys that spin around and the baseball bat and ninja robots) as quickly as possible because they can kill you if you miss a counter.

I really hope this isn't what all the action boils down to! I guess I'll find out.

This game is brutal.
Kind of stuck at this one mission.
I can get through it well enough but the boss is a giant ant spawner that can only be reached by directed counter-attacks. It's a real pain.

Co-op is uh...unplayable? At least from the few games I've played. CRAZY slow-motion.
Either system-link or goodass online connections is the way to go.

Tain said:
I really hope this isn't what all the action boils down to! I guess I'll find out.

It only works on that level because there are tons of fruits (which recharge your counter ability)... in most levels you'll have to fight normally since counter recharging will be more sparse.

Mike M

Nick N
I presume the bat, sword, and shield are gone? Not a huge loss, as they weren't very practical weapon choices most of the time, but I did love the bat. Nothing like reversing a huge volley of incoming missiles, almost like getting an EX attack for free.

JKTrix

Tain said:
The Dash is not 'perpetual', you can only do a Dash action 3 times before the Dash Gauge has to refill.

That said, however, there are several things you can do that make you invulnerable. Dashing is one of them. While you're charging the 'Counter Attack' (called EX Attack in Spirits) you are invulnerable up until the charge reaches 100. Tapping the Dash button will use up one of your EX gauges , but it increases the multiplier of your Counter Attack and also resets the 'charge' counter to Zero, basically letting you extend your invulnerability if you chain them together. You can get up to a 4X multiplier on your Counter Attack this way, as long as you have the EX Gauges for it.

The small yellow reticule around Bangai-O turns into a kind of timer whenever you are invulnerable so you know approximately how long it is before you start taking damage.

Tain

wayward archer said:
It only works on that level because there are tons of fruits (which recharge your counter ability)... in most levels you'll have to fight normally since counter recharging will be more sparse.

Plus, from looking at the editor, it looks like you can even limit/disable dash and EX techniques.

So, hopefully the prebuilt maps use that here and there. Sounds awesome.

JKTrix

I'm fighting to keep my top 10 position on Stage 1, :lol... keeped getting bumped off!

Currently at #8 with 21.31 seconds

jufonuk

not tag worthy
JKTrix said:
Heck yeah, top 10 in stage 1. First and probably only time I'll be on any top 10 leaderboards, and will likely be short-lived.

The tutorial mode tells you everything it does in the 'How To Play' section of Help & Options. Instead of giving you 29 pages of everything at once, it breaks it down into Basic Controls, Dash Skills, and EX Skills and gives you the opportunity to practice each of those segments to get the hang of it.

If you are having troubles on a stage, you can look at the Leaderboards and watch replays of the top 10 players to see how they did it.

I do miss the ability to choose whatever weapons you want before a stage, though.
this plus no baseball bat awo :'( i am sure treasure have a reason, when I first play Spirits I didn't like it as well as the DC game then it clicked and destroyed the DC game in my mind .. lets see if this does it to, though doubt it can beat spirits , but we'll see

Daigoro

It took me this long to figure out that there are two sets of leaderboards, Time and Score attack. That solves pretty much the only issue I've found with the game so far.

Tain

jufonuk said:
this plus no baseball bat awo :'( i am sure treasure have a reason, when I first play Spirits I didn't like it as well as the DC game then it clicked and destroyed the DC game in my mind .. lets see if this does it to, though doubt it can beat spirits , but we'll see

They wisely removed the weapon select screen because some of the weapon combinations were busted good, and they undoubtedly wanted more control over the stages. All in the name of focus.

Are all the levels unlocked or is their progression, something that the DS version lacked?

Which is why I didn't like the DS version as much. The game was still cool but there was no story or a sense of progression.

Basically you get one level at a time(out of 100 or so).
If you win you can go on to the next level. If you lose three times in a row you can also go to the next level, although it's shameful.

Fact of the matter is you will lose a lot.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Basically you get one level at a time(out of 100 or so).
If you win you can go on to the next level. If you lose three times you can also go to the next level, although it's shameful.
I think that's better than having everything unlocked, which I didn't like in the DS version. It made the game feel pointless and it didn't compel me to play the levels especially since they were brutally hard.

At least the XBLA version gives you that sense of accomplishment.

Thanks for the info.

branny

Is "missle" another way to correctly spell "missile"?

Anyway, I was worried about the new controls but they appear okay from the demo. I don't like how everything seems more linear now without the ability to choose your weapons but whatever. I'll buy this eventually.

0 HP

i've only put in ~1 hr so far, but im really liking it. playing it on a 22" tv sucks though.

treasure is my favorite dev ever, but does anyone else feel kind of let down they haven't made an original ip in pretty much forever? they could make a killing on xbla with original games if they wanted to.

d0c_zaius

0 HP said:
i've only put in ~1 hr so far, but im really liking it. playing it on a 22" tv sucks though.

treasure is my favorite dev ever, but does anyone else feel kind of let down they haven't made an original ip in pretty much forever? they could make a killing on xbla with original games if they wanted to.

Considering for a while they said they would never do sequels and made Stretch Panic O_0, I'll be happy with Sin and Punishment 2, Bangai-o HD and Radiant Silvergun HD.

But Treasure is one of my favorites as well.

Airan

Probably the first time I felt sad that my Xbox died. Really enjoyed the DC version years back, hoped to try this out. :(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So far better than spirits but worse than n64/dc games.

Tutorial is shit. Those training levels do not provide a proper incentive to understand the concepts they teach. You really have to learn through trial by fire in the levels.

Got almost every achievement in level 1 though which is funny. The ant farm level is also an easy way to get the 999 combo count cheevo. Just sit and kill the respawns till it pops using just the bounce gun. All I have left is beating all levels and the million missile counter one.

Not bad but, I hate the focus on invincibility here. It's a lame meta-strategy that takes away from the thrill of blowing shit up. Original games were just visceral shooting galleries with some quirky obstacles and plotting. This is clearly not the same bangaio.

"It's not a SHMUP!"

I don't believe you.

It looks really cool and interesting, but I'm going to wait on reviews (fan and critic alike) to make sure it's not just a bullet-hell nightmare that I'll never enjoy.

0 HP

The Antitype said:
"It's not a SHMUP!"

I don't believe you.

It looks really cool and interesting, but I'm going to wait on reviews (fan and critic alike) to make sure it's not just a bullet-hell nightmare that I'll never enjoy.
you control a mech, there's gravity, dashing makes you invincible, you don't avoid bullets but fly towards them (they're homing bullets also), you can freeze bullets close to you, and the stages are quick but strategic. you also die a lot, but its not frustrating - this bangai-o especially i think they want you to figure it out on your own, its part of the experience.

d0c_zaius

grindamasta said:
Maybe the best Bangai-O. It would have been awesome to upload and share levels with everybody...

yea is there a way to record and playback replays?

If not I WISHHHH!

As for being a bullet hell nightmare, this is the only game I think that is truly an opposite of that feeling. Bangai-o makes you WANT a giant screen of bullets coming at you.

and it is a shmup btw :)

Top Bottom