• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bangai-O HD Missile Fury |OT| It's Not a Shmup

see5harp

SapientWolf said:
Blame MS for that. They're in the stone age when it comes to that sort of thing.

I definitely wouldn't blame MS. Bungie has been doing file share since Halo 3 came out.

LBP and Halo are flagship titles of each console producer and have a lot of support behind them, Bangai-O was made by like 6 people, they can't really fund and support the infrastructure you'd need for global filesharing.

JKTrix

Every Xbox comes with a mic, they could have done the sound download again :p

Played up to stage 21 tonight, though i've only cleared 15 of the stages. They get pretty rough!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SapientWolf said:
I believe MS imposes some heavy moderation and infrastructure requirements for all publicly available user created content that indies don't have the resources for. Which is why Super Meat Boy had level sharing on the PC but not the 360.

Halo, on the other hand, is a first party juggernaut with full backing from the developer and the publisher.

wayward archer said:
LBP and Halo are flagship titles of each console producer and have a lot of support behind them, Bangai-O was made by like 6 people, they can't really fund and support the infrastructure you'd need for global filesharing.
Right, exactly this.

Not too many people are going to be able to complete this game, I think. Some of the Extreme stages make Fury mode look like a baby game.

TheNextLevel.com's PepsimanVsJoe said:
There. Beat the son of a bitch.
Figures. I wake up feeling like a sack of crap, don't even have my glasses on, all messed up thanks to antibiotics, and I beat the guy on my first attempt of the day.

I still have to go back and do a handful of stages before I can unlock the next set but whatever...I'm not in the mood right now.

Nice. I think I got lucky beating him on my first try yesterday - I just spent the last hour+ getting my ass whipped by him on the first Extreme stage. I think I've got a good strategy for him though, it just takes 5 or 6 EX meters.

Extreme stage 12 is one of the best levels I've played in a looong time. Easily my favorite stage out of the entire game so far.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
iconoclast said:
LOOOOOOOOOOOL at stage 38

I didn't try the demo before buying this, so I just played it for the first time. Putting that stage as the third level of the demo is a fantastic troll by Treasure. Bravo.
Yeah, whoever did was sick and deranged.

<3

I like how they taunted the player by saying the full game is even harder. Maybe they went a bit overboard. Moon Diver is selling better right now.

Stupidly having not played either of the previous iterations of this game, I love how elegant this game is. It puts a big smile on my face (and kind of hurts my eyes after playing it too long, but hey).

SapientWolf said:
I like how they taunted the player by saying the full game is even harder. Maybe they went a bit overboard. Moon Diver is selling better right now.

Pretty sad since that game is meh and this game is amazing. I was pretty lukewarm toward it at first, but now that I've completed the Extreme stages (which are the highlight of the game), I love it. One of the best games on XBLA easily.

Going to go through the rest of the bonus maps now for the last achievement. Looks like I'll be the third person to 200/200 this. :D

edit: aaand done:
FCdPu.png

Awesome game.

adversesolutions said:
How do you tell that nowadays with mygamercard down?

I use TrueAchievements.com (it's much, much smaller than MGC, but most of the people who try to complete the really hard games are on there) and leaderboards, generally. It's hard to tell with some games though.

SapientWolf said:

One of the few nice things I can say about Moon Diver is that it has PLAYABLE ONLINE CO-OP.

I can't help but be worried about Radiant Silvergun and especially Guardian Heroes if this is how Treasure handles online play.

Daigoro

iconoclast said:
Pretty sad since that game is meh and this game is amazing. I was pretty lukewarm toward it at first, but now that I've completed the Extreme stages (which are the highlight of the game), I love it. One of the best games on XBLA easily.

Going to go through the rest of the bonus maps now for the last achievement. Looks like I'll be the third person to 200/200 this. :D

edit: aaand done:
FCdPu.png

Awesome game.

nice work. im still wading my way through Fury mode.

Mike M

Nick N
Burned my fingers making dinner tonight, still put away a handful of levels tonight. It hurts so good, I love this game

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PepsimanVsJoe said:
One of the few nice things I can say about Moon Diver is that it has PLAYABLE ONLINE CO-OP.

I can't help but be worried about Radiant Silvergun and especially Guardian Heroes if this is how Treasure handles online play.
It was a nice extra, but Bangai-o isn't exactly known for its co-op. I'm surprised they offered it at all.

As for Moon Diver... I guess misery loves company.

gingerbeardman said:
I'm having a nightmare with level 9. I keep forgetting to use super attack (X). Would that be why?

I almost never use that move because it leaves you vulnerable after your meters deplete. Counter attacks, dashes, and freezes are good enough to get the job done on just about every level.

then again I have no idea what mission 9 is, so I dunno.

Kamillio

Neo Member
gingerbeardman said:
I'm having a nightmare with level 9. I keep forgetting to use super attack (X). Would that be why?

No, it's perfectly beatable with just dashing and counters. You just have to be quick.

Also just wanted to say this is my first Bangai-O, on stage 12 and having a blast :)

Yeah, I think the 1 million missiles achievement is cumulative, I got it before I was even done with Fury mode, so it shouldn't be a problem.

GhaleonQ said:
Great job! I play most games slowly but completely, but I'm envious. So, the series: RANK 'EM.

I'd say: DC > XBLA > DS. Not a big fan of the DS game, but I really like both the DC and XBLA ones. I'm tempted to give the DS version another shot though, since the XBLA game is a lot closer to the DS one. Maybe I'll like it more the second time around...

Mike M

Nick N
I'm at stage 32, and I'm definitely having to work for my victories now... Skipped over stage 25, just got sick of dying and having to replay the first half of that level which moves at an absolute snail's pace. Probably go back to it tomorrow, otherwise it will haunt me for the rest of my days.

MjFrancis

I played a very short bit of stage one, and I continuously perished and/or flew about before I had to question where God was and why I wasn't reading the "how to play" on this game. "There were missiles everywhere!" I'm going to have to tell my therapist.

So, I'm going to read that "how to play" tomorrow and see if Ill bite on a full purchase. I remember playing Bangai-O for a few minutes on the Dreamcast but this was pretty crazy. Very few games will give you a game over screen if you fail to move your character within four seconds. This one apparently does.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
MjFrancis said:
I played a very short bit of stage one, and I continuously perished and/or flew about before I had to question where God was and why I wasn't reading the "how to play" on this game. "There were missiles everywhere!" I'm going to have to tell my therapist.

So, I'm going to read that "how to play" tomorrow and see if Ill bite on a full purchase. I remember playing Bangai-O for a few minutes on the Dreamcast but this was pretty crazy. Very few games will give you a game over screen if you fail to move your character within four seconds. This one apparently does.
Level 1 is just a massive troll on people that aren't familiar with how Bangai-o works. All you have to do is hold and release the counter attack button (LT) to counter the missiles.

Daigoro

Stage 30 I confusing. Small room, big spinnings guys, and no dash\freeze.

I'm lost trying to figure out how to kill these dudes.

Mike M

Nick N
Daigoro said:
Stage 30 I confusing. Small room, big spinnings guys, and no dash\freeze.

I'm lost trying to figure out how to kill these dudes.
Yeah, that one took me forever too.

Hold RB, start going left or right from the starting point while shooting in the opposite direction. This should lure the majority of the FastBots into the middle hallway. When the first one gets close, charge up your EX attack and point it in the direction of the FastBots. This should kill at least one, more if you're lucky.

Let go of RB, fly full speed down the rest of the hallway, then down to the lower hall. Move to the center of the hall. Most of the FastBots should be trapped above you, their AI isn't good enough to go around the barrier.

A couple FastBots will be down there with you, you're going to have to walk right up to one and shoot it while it's inside the yellow circle to do appreciable damage. Back away accordingly as it approaches. Take care of the next one in the same manner.

Theoretically, all the remaining ones are above you. Move towards the edge of the stage slowly and try and lure them down one at a time, backing up and dealing with them in the same manner as above.

Daigoro

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like this one is going to take a while.

Edit: did it on my second try today. Figuring out how to separate them was the confusing part. Thanks again.

Llyranor

How's the level design compared to the DS game? I really liked the core gameplay in the DS version, and some of the big battles were really great, but some of the puzzle levels were just really boring. Comments?

Mike M

Nick N
Llyranor said:
How's the level design compared to the DS game? I really liked the core gameplay in the DS version, and some of the big battles were really great, but some of the puzzle levels were just really boring. Comments?
So far the game seems to consist entirely of the action-style levels as opposed to the sort of levels you found in the puzzle level section of the DS version. There are still puzzle elements in figuring out how to survive, but none of the "figure out the order to push the block gates" style levels from Spirits.

Missile Fury does have a tendency to surprise you with new waves of enemies just after you thought you beat everything.

Llyranor

The action of the DS version was great. Maybe I'll pick up points for this since I need some for Deathsmiles II anyway.

Has anyone had much experience with the multiplayer?

Is it smooth? Playable? Netcode any good?

How does it work with getting credit for clearing stages? A friend is interested in buying it, but a large amount of the draw is the MP for him.

If I help him clear stages (or he helps me), do we get clear credit for them towards clearing Fury mode and unlocking the ridiculous extra levels? I'm close but still have a few levels like 46 and 35 to clear before getting them myself.

No you both don't get credit. Multiplayer is pretty slim. I mean it's fun to run together through edit stages but I would not get this game with multiplayer in mind

Top Bottom