• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bangai-O HD Missile Fury |OT| It's Not a Shmup

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
The Antitype said:
"It's not a SHMUP!"

I don't believe you.

It's just a different kind. There can be different kinds. The OP should mellow out.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Holy shit this game is good, like really REALLY good. My eyes they feel like they are bleeding. I have been playing for hours. I love that you cannot select your weapons any more, actually makes the game alot more challenging and gives alot of control on how the levels play out.

Enjoying this just as much as Spirits maybe even more.

However I have one question.. How the hell do you get the million counter shot? the most I have been able to do so far is 400,000. I can never seem to get past 1000 x 100 x 4 no matter how many missiles I freeze.

Damn this game feels good. It is everything I ever wanted it to be! :')

Mike M

Nick N
It's definitely a different experience from Spirits, what with the drastically altered dash and freeze mechanics and all.

I do miss several things though, like the ability to combine weapons for instance. I'm not a fan of the time limit either.

Beezy

Played the demo. I wasn't sure what I was doing, but I liked it until I played the 3rd stage. Couldn't get past it after trying for like 25 mins. :/

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mike M said:
It's definitely a different experience from Spirits, what with the drastically altered dash and freeze mechanics and all.

I do miss several things though, like the ability to combine weapons for instance. I'm not a fan of the time limit either.
I'm glad for that. I'm not keen on buying the same game twice.

arit

I like it and I do not know why. It kills me, it angers me, it raises my hopes just to give me the game over screen(12 secs left and there is _another_ wave?!). Definitely should use some lube.

Oh Treasure how I love thee.

Vorg

Banned
Any tips for stage 9? Been trying for like, 40 minutes but I always die when it seems like I´m about to reach the final 2 or 3 white squares. Thing is, I can´t even see where they are with all the shit coming at me...

This game is so good... Treasure rocks!

Daigoro

Everything everyone in this thread is saying that they didn't like about Spirits was the same shit I was complaining about in the Spirits thread when it came out.

I'm a huge treasure fan and I loved the original Bangaio. But I was getting my ass chewed out in that thread for complaining about things I disliked about it. Where were you all then dammit? :)

jooey said:
It's just a different kind. There can be different kinds. The OP should mellow out.

I'm mellow dude. I'm also correct.

Ahhhhhh the full version tutorial should really have been in the demo.

If you are holding down LT to charge your EX Attack you can tap RT to reset the 0-100 counter and make the attack more powerful. That woud have helped a lot on demo Stage 3.

Full game is amazing. I can't imagine how someone who enjoyed the earlier games wouldn't love this.

And it's most definitely NOT a bullet hell game. Yes there is an insane amount of stuff coming at you but at no point does this game require you to slip through intricate patterns of bullets with pixel perfect precision. If a screen full of shots are inbound then you either boost which gives you a short burst of invulnerability, fly directly away from them and behind some cover, or shoot a few hundred missiles back at them to blast a path through them.

Shit this is out? I guess I'm going to have to go buy some Xbox points tomorrow.

Also somewhat unrelated, but how is Ikaruga XBLA? Is it worth it for someone who owns the Gamecube version?

low-G

Liking it so far, still not sure I'm really getting everything. Played a bit of the DS one, and I'm more into this one so far (I think the 360 controller is the biggest bonus).

It feels like a good, meaty, challenging game that will take me some time.

Mike M

Nick N
entrement said:
How is this comparable to the DS game? I loved that version.

-No melee weapons
-No weapon combinations
-Pre-assigned weapon loadouts for each level
-Weapon pick ups within levels
-New weapons: Fast shot and wide attack
-Napalm seems MUCH more powerful, but fires really slow
-Fruit recharges your EX meter AND your health
-Fruit homes in on you
-Dashing makes you invincible, but it depletes a meter that recharges after 3 seconds
-Freeze is no longer an EX move, it uses one level of your Dash meter and only effects enemies within your yellow circle and only lasts 1.5 seconds
-New reticule system: Homing won't target anything outside the blue circle, bounce won't reflect off a wall outside the blue circle, break won't travel past the blue circle. Any enemies targeted within the blue circle get a X2 sized shot sent at them. Any enemies within the yellow circle get a X3 shot sent at them, and are susceptible to being frozen.
-Revamped EX system: You're invincible while charging your EX attack until you hit 100 missiles. You can hit RT up to three more times to use extra EX levels to boost the size of your missiles and reset the charge, prolonging your invulnerability. The more missiles within your yellow circle, the more you fire, that hasn't changed. You can still direct with the right stick too.

Think that covers most of the differences.

imported this back on the dreamcast. never really "got it".

cold copped it on xbl. now i "get it". i love this game.

figure it out, it's worth it. took me a few minutes and a couple quick reads of this gaf thread and now i understand.

JKTrix

d0c_zaius said:
yea is there a way to record and playback replays?
Not only do you get your own replays, but you can watch/download the replays of the top 10 ranked players on the leaderboards on each stage.
Shalashaska161 said:
Also somewhat unrelated, but how is Ikaruga XBLA? Is it worth it for someone who owns the Gamecube version?
I'd say Ikaruga was worth it just for the same feature--download replays of the best players. Plus, you get the game. I have an arcade stick for 360 so that was sweet too.

Gaspode_T

I'm poking away at Ikaruga here and there and I pretty much suck at shmups, but it has a nice feature that is rewarding me for persistence: for every hour you put into it, you get an extra life and after a while it becomes unlimited I think. So you can't cheat until you prove you truly suck and need the help, I love that! It's quite possible by the time you unlock unlimited lives you won't need the help anymore, and you also have discovered the true fun of shooting games.

Bangai-O I jumped in a co-op game and some Japanese name tag guy proceeded to be owning Stage 9 only 30 mins after the download went up, so in my head I am thinking it's some dev from Treasure...but maybe just some hardcore gamer. The co-op is weird, if you fall off the side of the stage it doesn't do anything but leave you there, and it is even more hectic and insane, but maybe fun to jump in with some of the pros.

I worry that most average gamers will get stuck and not buy it...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Gaspode_T said:
I'm poking away at Ikaruga here and there and I pretty much suck at shmups, but it has a nice feature that is rewarding me for persistence: for every hour you put into it, you get an extra life and after a while it becomes unlimited I think. So you can't cheat until you prove you truly suck and need the help, I love that! It's quite possible by the time you unlock unlimited lives you won't need the help anymore, and you also have discovered the true fun of shooting games.

Bangai-O I jumped in a co-op game and some Japanese name tag guy proceeded to be owning Stage 9 only 30 mins after the download went up, so in my head I am thinking it's some dev from Treasure...but maybe just some hardcore gamer. The co-op is weird, if you fall off the side of the stage it doesn't do anything but leave you there, and it is even more hectic and insane, but maybe fun to jump in with some of the pros.

Despite the thread title it looks like a shmup on the surface. Average gamers were weeded out of that genre decades ago. There's nothing left but battle hardened masochists.

I hate to be a wuss but I dunno.
I'd probably give the mecha just a little bit more health. Most everything is a one shot kill in the later stages.

Missing a freeze is the worst. Since the guys I'm trying to freeze (Samurai, Batter, and Langaioh) are the most likely to fuck my shit.

Apparently only stages that have been unlocked can be playable in co-op. Oh and progress isn't saved so you can't roll with a bud to get through a bunch of stages.
It's kind of pointless really.

waru

Well anyway I bought the full version and it is pure Bangai-o!
I will never judge a game on its trial version.

Thank you Treasure again you give to the hardcore gamers something to live for.

I really don't like how this is a puzzle game. I would have had the #1 score on mission 17 by a huge margin multiple times now, but I have no clue how you are supposed to damage the final enemy spawner.

edit: Figured it out. Of course you can kill it instantly as soon as you know what to do. Now to replay it and get a good score. -_-

But eh, for $10 I guess I don't regret buying it. It's much better than the DS game at least.

KevinCow

Banned
Huh.

So I download the demo, start playing.

My dude's standing there, alright, cool, I'm a robot. Well I'll start experimenting with my buttons now, see what everything--

And then suddenly there's eight thousand missiles on the screen and I die.

What the fuck.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
KevinCow said:
Huh.

My dude's standing there, alright, cool, I'm a robot. Well I'll start experimenting with my buttons now, see what everything--

What the fuck.
That was your tutorial.

KevinCow said:
Huh.

What the fuck.

Don't go to Stage 3 or you whole head will implode

Got #1 in both time and score on stage 17, yay.

The game can be frustrating when you're trying to figure out what you need to do, but it is pretty fun once everything clicks. It still would've been better if it were less puzzley though.

Bru

Having played the original Bangai-O on Dreamcast, I must admit I was rather sceptical when I heard about the changes to this latest version.

After three hours of Treasure crafted bliss last night, my doubts were proved wrong.

Bangio-O on XBL may be a slightly different beast to the original… but it's still so good it hurts.

Gaspode_T said:

well, this game lets you skip a stage if you die three times, which is pretty friendly i think.

low-G

daviyoung said:
This game is the definition of bullet hell.

Bullet hell implies a firey world of which bullets are a part.

I'd call it more of a bullet plane. A dimension consisting entirely and only of bullets.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
daviyoung said:

Not really... but I guess it does have a lot of rockets.

I cannot wait to go home and start playing again! I am sort of hoping they release a 3DS version, sometime down the line.

daviyoung

Banned
Dachande said:
Except you can send the hell right back to the enemies multiplied by 1000!

You sell your soul to the rocket devil but he'll always win out in the end. The game over is inevitable.

arit

JKTrix said:
Not only do you get your own replays, but you can watch/download the replays of the top 10 ranked players on the leaderboards on each stage.

But only of the stages that have already been beaten by yourself, no ingame look and copy >_<

Mike M said:
-No melee weapons
-No weapon combinations
-Pre-assigned weapon loadouts for each level
-Weapon pick ups within levels
-New weapons: Fast shot and wide attack
-Napalm seems MUCH more powerful, but fires really slow
-Fruit recharges your EX meter AND your health
-Fruit homes in on you
-Dashing makes you invincible, but it depletes a meter that recharges after 3 seconds
-Freeze is no longer an EX move, it uses one level of your Dash meter and only effects enemies within your yellow circle and only lasts 1.5 seconds
-New reticule system: Homing won't target anything outside the blue circle, bounce won't reflect off a wall outside the blue circle, break won't travel past the blue circle. Any enemies targeted within the blue circle get a X2 sized shot sent at them. Any enemies within the yellow circle get a X3 shot sent at them, and are susceptible to being frozen.
-Revamped EX system: You're invincible while charging your EX attack until you hit 100 missiles. You can hit RT up to three more times to use extra EX levels to boost the size of your missiles and reset the charge, prolonging your invulnerability. The more missiles within your yellow circle, the more you fire, that hasn't changed. You can still direct with the right stick too.

Think that covers most of the differences.
I think the homing fruit thing was the biggest difference to me playing the demo, no more balancing time, kills and fruit collecting for scores.

This bangai-o rubs me the wrong way, too use to the DC version in all it's glory.

Daigoro

daviyoung said:

People who don't regularly play shmups were bound to have a misconception about this game. Hence the subtitle to the OP.

The only thing this game has in common with a bullet hell game is the fact that there are a lot of bullets on screen. The differences between the two are vast. Also, not all shmups are "bullet hell" games.

Is Smash TV a shmup? Negative. Neither is Bangaio.

I won't argue anymore about it though. I promise. Call it an RPG for all I care, just buy this awesome game.

Aaargh I've tried at least fifteen times and I still can't beat stage 5. I get to the boss with 5 EX and a lot of time/health left but he just destroys me everytime. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here. Any tips ?

daviyoung

Banned
Daigoro said:
The only thing this game has in common with a bullet hell game is the fact that there are a lot of bullets on screen. The differences between the two are vast. Also, not all shmups are "bullet hell" games.

I never said it was a shmup, I played it like GeoWars, which is a walk in a 18th Century public park compared to this. It's utter bullet hell as far as I'm concerned, using the very loosest definition of 'bullet hell'.

Didn't mean to tread on pedant toes.

Well, as someone that very much loved the fun clever simplicity of dreamcast version, I tried to play the demo then realized things were very different (and far more obnoxious) than I remembered. So, I did the right thing and looked at the instructions. Well, after reading the first 5 pages of some of the worst instructions I've ever read out of 29(29 for Bangai-O!?) pages of that crap, I uninstalled the demo. I'm all for new mechanics and all, but just compounding crap on top of crap isn't what I expected, especially when talking about Treasure, who knows how to be fresh without being sloppy.

Oh well.

If they ever do a Ikaruga 2, it better not have more than 2 pages of instructions...let alone 29...15 or so mechanic based. Sorry Treasure, you missed the point of your own game.

I guess this game was for fans of the ds version? I dunno.

Tain

I'm all for new mechanics and all, but just compounding crap on top of crap isn't what I expected, especially when talking about Treasure, who knows how to be fresh without being sloppy.

Nah, Treasure's always been one to throw a ton of actions and systems into games and hope that it works out. Silvergun is a good example.

Of course, Ikaruga doesn't follow this model. It's also their best game.

Vorg

Banned
Mr. B Natural said:
Well, as someone that very much loved the fun clever simplicity of dreamcast version, I tried to play the demo then realized things were very different (and far more obnoxious) than I remembered. So, I did the right thing and looked at the instructions. Well, after reading the first 5 pages of some of the worst instructions I've ever read out of 29(29 for Bangai-O!?) pages of that crap, I uninstalled the demo. I'm all for new mechanics and all, but just compounding crap on top of crap isn't what I expected, especially when talking about Treasure, who knows how to be fresh without being sloppy.

Oh well.

If they ever do a Ikaruga 2, it better not have more than 2 pages of instructions...let alone 29...15 or so mechanic based. Sorry Treasure, you missed the point of your own game.

You should really give it a chance. The game is a blast.

depths20XX

Mr. B Natural said:

Oh well.

I thought people were saying there is a tutorial mode in the full game where it takes you through stuff and you actually get to try it?

I need to get this. It sounds more focused than Spirits. All that trial and error for finding effective weapon combinations bogged down the game and didn't sit well with me. And it's a simple thing, but having all stages available from the start was so... homebrew-ish.

Kafel

Banned
I tried this for the first time today. Well ... I died quickly.

Then I went in the menu and read the first 4-5 pages of How To Play (29 pages!? wtf, give me a tutorial!)

So I played again after this and beat the first level and almost the second and it was quite awesome.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
depths20XX said:
I thought people were saying there is a tutorial mode in the full game where it takes you through stuff and you actually get to try it?

There is! I have no idea why they did not include it in the demo though.

The End said:
Ok, dumb question time:

Is there couch co-op?

Sadly not :(

Kafel said:
Then I went in the menu and read the first 4-5 pages of How To Play (29 pages!? wtf, give me a tutorial!)

They really should have included the tutorial in the demo.. :( It covers everything you will ever need to know.

daviyoung said:
I never said it was a shmup, I played it like GeoWars, which is a walk in a 18th Century public park compared to this.

Noooo! Dash into the bullets freeze and counter! Don't run away like a giant robotic pussy!

God I cannot wait to go home and play more of this!

jiji said:
I need to get this. It sounds more focused than Spirits. All that trial and error for finding effective weapon combinations bogged down the game and didn't sit well with me.

That's one of the things I love about this game! With Spirits I was able to beat near enough every level with the same weapon combination with enough brute force, this is not an option in this game which gets me to play every level a bit differently.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Kafel said:
There's a tutorial in the full game?

Yup. I have no idea what was going through their minds when they left it out, it's as if they were trying to drive people away. By the sounds of it as well the demo ramps up in difficulty dramatically after the second stage too, by throwing in a level from late in the game (Level 38). (I never played the demo bought the game from work and let it download from home remotely)

ultron87

KevinCow said:
Huh.

What the fuck.

Is it weird that this description made me want to get home and try this game even more?

GhaleonQ

jiji said:
I need to get this. It sounds more focused than Spirits. All that trial and error for finding effective weapon combinations bogged down the game and didn't sit well with me.

*points to avatar* I think I get why I enjoyed it so much. I haven't played this one, as I mentioned, but it seems like you could bulldoze your way through it with enough SKILLZ. I like 1 or 2 "scouting" opportunities and pre-play planning rather than figuring a problem out while I'm playing. Yours is the preeminent mode of gameplay in video games, though.

Label said:
That's one of the things I love about this game! With Spirits I was able to beat near enough every level with the same weapon combination with enough brute force, this is not an option in this game which gets me to play every level a bit differently.

Ha.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Kafel said:
There's a tutorial in the full game?

It's hardly a tutorial. It does a piss poor job of explaining any of the meta-concepts or informing the player through examples how the various mechanics function. It sucks. You get an easy achievement for running through it.

The 29 page How-To-Play is far more informative, and stage 1 is more of a proper tutorial in practice.

Top Bottom