• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banned MMA Reporter Ariel Helwani was supposedly assaulted by Dana White Bodyguard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ariel Helwani is doing a tell all on his podcast the MMA Hour about his history with Zuffa and revealing just how gross (unsurprisingly) Dana White and his cronies have been in handling the media. During it he drops this bomb saying "I won't go into details but at one point it got physical".

Known industry insider FrontRowBrian tweeted out more details however, and he has been known to be accurate on countless things from within the UFC.

https://twitter.com/FrontRowBrian/status/739334516590837760

https://twitter.com/FrontRowBrian/status/739882950846619648

If this is indeed true this is one of the grossest handling of a media member I have ever heard in my life

Link to the MMA Hour here, he is still live and streaming right now

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/6/11863776/watch-the-mma-hour-live-today

I love the equivalent idea of the NFL banning Adam schefter and a roger goodell thug assaulting him for reporting that Mark Sanchez was going to the Broncos.

Dana White is an assclown but he gets away with it because the UFC has a monopoly on MMA and sadly the sport isn't viewed as "legitimate" enough in mainstream public to warrant the same kind of outcry if the NBA or NFL did shit like this. He bullies fighters and the media because he knows he can get away with it.

Zach

Dana White is an assclown but he gets away with it because the UFC has a monopoly on MMA and sadly the sport isn't viewed as "legitimate" enough in mainstream public to warrant the same kind of outcry if the NBA or NFL did shit like this. He bullies fighters and the media because he knows he can get away with it.

Yep. Dude's terrible. One of the reasons I stopped following MMA.

Dazzler

I'd recommend anyone with a passing interest in this to watch/listen to today's MMA Hour. Ariel breaks down the whole thing in an extremely frank and emotional way

I feel awful for the guy

I'd recommend anyone with a passing interest in this to watch/listen to today's MMA Hour. Ariel breaks down the whole thing in an extremely frank and emotional way

I feel awful for the guy

Same it was difficult to watch in spots and incredibly enlightening. Man its so horrible what they have done to him

Cardon

Watched the majority of the stream and it was pretty disgusting how the UFC acted all together if what Ariel is saying is true, which I believe it is.

If Dana legit assaulted Ariel, I hope Ariel presses charges against him.

Apparently it was a bodyguard and not Dana himself. It would be a difficult thing to prove and considering Ariel himself didn't give any details other than "it got physical" I don't think he plans on pursuing legal action

FStop7

Banned
He is talking live on his show now

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/6/6...e-today?_ga=1.129912076.1804448961.1459203266

It is very depressing, lots of crying, his career is basically over, it's a lifetime ban, Dana White says there is zero chance he'll ever get a credential while he is still there.

Then hopefully the rumors of Zuffa selling UFC and getting out of MMA are true.

I'm curious if/how Joe Rogan will address the Ariel situation on his podcast. Will he pretend it doesn't exist? Will he be a company man? Or will he be honest?

Takuan

Then hopefully the rumors of Zuffa selling UFC and getting out of MMA are true.

I'm curious if/how Joe Rogan will address the Ariel situation on his podcast. Will pretend it doesn't exist? Will he be a company man? Or will he be honest?

I've been constantly refreshing my app for a new TFATK or JRE podcast. I can see him going full blast on the UFC because his contract expires this August and I don't think he's going to re-sign unless they throw ridiculous cash his way. I have a feeling they won't. He's rich enough that he doesn't need the UFC, but if they throw fuck you money his way I think he'll take it.

Takuan

I missed a part of the podcast...it seemed like Dana liked him. in the beginning. did he really say he won't get his credentials back?

Dana makes emotional decisions. There's no way he would've been happy about anyone getting the jump on the Brock announcement. Could've been Rogan and he would've gone scorched earth on that ass.

There is no reason on earth the UFC shouldn't be dominating public eye and perception like Boxing used to back in the day.

Dana has taken the golden goose of competitive combat sports and completely fucked up at every single opportunity to bring himself legitimacy and further positive exposure.

It's painful to see.

angelic

Banned
dana confirming too that its a life ban, but he can buy tickets (useless, no back stage access). Ive watched this sport for ten years but with this, stupid fights like conor v diaz, lesnar, I think im close to being out. I hope theres a huge fallout from this

dana confirming too that its a life ban, but he can buy tickets (useless, no back stage access). Ive watched this sport for ten years but with this, stupid fights like conor v diaz, lesnar, I think im close to being out. I hope theres a huge fallout from this

Dana owns his sports media.

There won't be because he won't let there be and places like ESPN don't care enough.

3N16MA

Banned
Even if Zuffa decides to life the ban you can expect a neutered Ariel to return. He won't be breaking any stories without first talking to the UFC.

They get what they want.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Dana owns his sports media.

There won't be because he won't let there be and places like ESPN don't care enough.

8UvR2VF.jpg

NYR

Lots of gossip today that zuffa was pissed because they sold the Lesnar story to ESPN and Ariel ruined a payday.

FStop7

Banned
Even if Zuffa decides to life the ban you can expect a neutered Ariel to return. He won't be breaking any stories without first talking to the UFC.

They get what they want.

I had a really bad first impression of Ariel and I was wrong. I thought he was a company man but he's clearly not. I don't think he'd ever agree to such an arrangement for his return. It's either free to do his job or nothing.

I hope this doesn't ruin Ariel. It's a damn shame that he's going through this. Dana needs to grow a pair and let the man do his thing.

Don't worry. They are most assuredly selling the company within the next year or so. Then the new owners will put actual businessmen in charge and they'll probably lift Helwani's ban for goodwill, if nothing else.

Norml

After watching, I don't feel bad for him. Sounds just like a fool who won't learn his lesson unless permabanned.

Is all of this because he spoiled the Brock return for UFC 200, or is there something else? It definitely seems like there is more to it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is all of this because he spoiled the Brock return for UFC 200, or is there something else? It definitely seems like there is more to it.

They got him fired from his Fox job because he was reporting on attempts for fighters to unionize and low sponsorship pay. Ever since then, he's been breaking every single big announcement UFC has tried to make.

kirblar

UFC had already pressured ESPN or FOX to axe him from his previous gig because they didn't like that he's actually doing his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom