• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

bengraven

Trailer sounds like Ron Perlman.

But yeah, love the art style. I will be picking this up when it pops up on Steam. Looks great...hope it plays as well as it looks.

Grisby

Finished the game last night and am on new game plus.

I do believe this game is top tier stuff and now sits among Shadow Complex and Lara Croft as my favorite XBLA games. Bastion does so much with so little. The art is great and I felt like I was playing an old SNES HD action RPG ala secret of Mana or something from Squaresoft. How the tiles come up as your walking and forming the area is great.

The music was a bit mixed for me, while I liked some of the tunes others didn't click but the end song was amazing. I'd buy it in a heartbeat from Itunes if it was up there.

The actual gameplay is very fun for a DL title. Lots of weapons and upgrades keep things fresh and interesting. It was just the right amount of simple. My only con was the targeting system kind of sucked and I fell off the world too much.

Bastion's story is also nice and pretty well told. Its the best tale on XBLA for sure besides something like Beyond Good and Evil. The narrator felt wisely used without him commentating on every single thing. I don't want to give anything away as it feels like a complete adventure.

So yeah, The Grisby seemed like he enjoyed his stay, telling me that the trip was worth the fifteen in cash. As he moved on to other plains I remember him smiling and saying, "I'll remember my trip to the Bastion and how I blew myself up on more than one occasion."

BigAT

Has there been any word on the PC release date yet? I had planned on waiting for the PC version to pick this up, but my impatience is getting the best of me.

Mupod

Beat it last night and started new game+ with all the skull- I mean idols on. I really like the Breaker's Bow and Carbine, but it feels like the cannon outclasses everything with its overwhelming damage output and seeking ability. Bit of a shame, since I got so good at making power shots with the others that it feels like a waste.

For melee weapons I'm hooked on the Pike and its absurdly high critical rate when set up with the right drinks and upgrades.

And speaking of idols, those damn charging birds are ridiculous if you turn on the speed and damage ones.

xanavi

Mupod said:
Beat it last night and started new game+ with all the skull- I mean idols on. I really like the Breaker's Bow and Carbine, but it feels like the cannon outclasses everything with its overwhelming damage output and seeking ability. Bit of a shame, since I got so good at making power shots with the others that it feels like a waste.

For melee weapons I'm hooked on the Pike and its absurdly high critical rate when set up with the right drinks and upgrades.

And speaking of idols, those damn charging birds are ridiculous if you turn on the speed and damage ones.
The birds and the eyes are the reason I think the flamethrower and cannon are unequivocally the best weapons in the game. It really does make the dreams with full idols a bit of a joke. The flamethrower just tears through anything at short range if it gets past your cannon spam.

Anabuhabkuss said:
Don't get me started on the story. I could never follow what was going on. Having the narrator spill beans and talk while in combat was an absolutely horrible decision.
Even when the narrator says something that is slightly vague and possibly confusing you are usually greeted by a loading screen a few minutes later that tells you in very plain terms exactly what just happened. I can't imagine the story being difficult to follow unless you actively didn't pay attention.

xanavi

The_Darkest_Red said:
Even when the narrator says something that is slightly vague and possibly confusing you are usually greeted by a loading screen a few minutes later that tells you in very plain terms exactly what just happened. I can't imagine the story being difficult to follow unless you actively didn't pay attention.
I think what he's trying to say is that it was just difficult for him in particular because the "simplistic", and "boring" combat took up all of his concentration so he couldn't possibly pay attention to the narrator.

wwm0nkey

Love the cover art for the OST
bastion_OST_front.jpg

O.DOGG

This looks amazing! First time I hear of it too, I don't know how that happened. Looking forward to the PC version.

sixghost

Mupod said:

I feel like the cannon shouldn't really be used outside of the story missions that include it. It's just way too powerful. If you really want to challenge yourself with the 10 idols just stick to the other weapons.

Grisby

Sora said:
Sweet, thanks for the info!

I think it was between 6-7 hours for my first go through. It felt longer and there are side area challenges that can take up some time. There is a new game plus but you begin to notice how small the levels are when your powered up as they can be completed in a couple minutes.

Still, I had a lot of fun both times through and it really is something special.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Sora said:
Anyone here could provide us some info, as if the game has some replay factor, or even the game length?

Think I put about 10-12 hours into it, for first run and NG+. If you typically just power through games shave a few hours off that time.

And I'd say replaying at least once is a given...

There's arena combat with leaderboards that extends the life of the title even more.

just 200/200 this game. so so rewarding. excellent game.

my fave weapons are the galleon mortar and the flame thrower. followed by the dueling pistols. very happy to complete the game fully.

Finished it last night, fantastic game. Favorite weapon combo was the pike and musket, used those through most of the game.

Only thing I don't understand...why can't you replay cleared levels? I thought this might be an added option in New Game+, but I just finished the first one, and it's not.

I just finished the game... holy shit that was so surprisingly excellent. By far the best game I've played this year and one of the best Ive ever played period.

kasavin

Hey if you want to know more about the PC version of Bastion coming to Steam on Tuesday, here are some quick details:

- It runs natively at 1080p up from 720p on the Xbox 360. Here's an image comparison: 1080p PC image | 720p Xbox image

- It has enhanced control options including full remapping plus gamepad support. Details here.

- Steam version has Steamworks support for cloud saves, achievements, and leaderboards.

Loading times are also improved. System requirements on the Steam page. Lastly, there will be a free demo available containing the prologue of the game. Bastion started its life as a PC game (we first showed it running on PC at PAX) so it's great to have this version ready to go at last.

EDIT: Some more info added.

Top Bottom