• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

Red

kasavin said:
Hey if you want to know more about the PC version of Bastion coming to Steam on Tuesday, here are some quick details:

- It runs natively at 1080p up from 720p on the Xbox 360. Here's an image comparison: 1080p PC image | 720p Xbox image

- It has enhanced control options including full remapping plus gamepad support. Details here.

- Steam version has Steamworks support for cloud saves, achievements, and leaderboards.

Loading times are also improved. System requirements on the Steam page. Lastly, there will be a free demo available containing the prologue of the game. Bastion started its life as a PC game (we first showed it running on PC at PAX) so it's great to have this version ready to go at last.

EDIT: Some more info added.
Thanks for the info!

kasavin

Tokubetsu said:
Yea, I double dipped haha. Anything special going on, on the audio front for the pc version too? (Just curious)

Well we may or may not have snuck in a bit of additional narration, but for the most part the audio and content of the PC version is identical to that of the 360 version.

Regarding audio, we're looking into offering a Soundtrack Edition of the game on Steam, a package deal of both the game and OST in MP3 format. The OST contains a couple of bonus tracks that aren't in the game.

Red

kasavin said:
Well we may or may not have snuck in a bit of additional narration, but for the most part the audio and content of the PC version is identical to that of the 360 version.

Regarding audio, we're looking into offering a Soundtrack Edition of the game on Steam, a package deal of both the game and OST in MP3 format. The OST contains a couple of bonus tracks that aren't in the game.
More than the version already available for purchase?

Ricker

Just finished on the 360...awesome game...didn`t do all the proving grounds,the ones for the Machete and the Cannon are pretty hard,but I also didn`t get all the upgrades,might try to get them with the new Game +...anyway for 15 bucks,this game beats a lot of 60 bucks games lately(coughSotDcough,etc etc),hats off to SuperGiant Games.

kasavin

Crunched said:
More than the version already available for purchase?

No, sorry if that wasn't clear. The OST that's been released contains bonus tracks not heard in the game, though anyone who's heard the OST in its entirety has heard them.

maomaoIYP

Beat it yesterday. Mortar and Flamethrower completely wipes the floor with the enemies when all 10 idols are on. Leaderboards are too simplistic though. All three challenge rooms are ranked only by number of idols turned on, the next player who beats them with the same number gets the next lowest rank to those who also did the same. There's no sub ranking according to time / damage taken. Once you've beaten them with all 10 on there's no reason to play it again unless you want to muck around with weapon combinations.

Red

kasavin said:
No, sorry if that wasn't clear. The OST that's been released contains bonus tracks not heard in the game, though anyone who's heard the OST in its entirety has heard them.
Okay, that's what I was hoping. Thanks for the reply.

Still waiting on my signed OST, but been loving the downloadable version all the same.

You guys really did an incredible job with the game, by the way. Can't wait to replay it on PC.

I picked this up on XBLA last night (would have gotten on steam, but I own a Macbook Pro). Didn't get a chance to play it but I'm extremely excited to start tonight.

Also, it is extremely cool to have a dev here!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
TheOddOne said:
Will double dip for PC :)

Same. Already beat it twice on 360, but I'll gladly support the team some more. That image comparison was all the convincing I needed, stoked for a third playthrough!

Bento

kasavin said:
Hey if you want to know more about the PC version of Bastion coming to Steam on Tuesday, here are some quick details:

- It runs natively at 1080p up from 720p on the Xbox 360. Here's an image comparison: 1080p PC image | 720p Xbox image

- It has enhanced control options including full remapping plus gamepad support. Details here.

- Steam version has Steamworks support for cloud saves, achievements, and leaderboards.

Loading times are also improved. System requirements on the Steam page. Lastly, there will be a free demo available containing the prologue of the game. Bastion started its life as a PC game (we first showed it running on PC at PAX) so it's great to have this version ready to go at last.

Excellent stuff! Preordered the game and I'm really looking forward to trying it out tomorrow :eek:)

AEREC

delleps said:
So I was thinking

I think it would be interesting if you only got the choice to do ng+ if you chose the restart time option. The new game would be the next loop in the timeline, and the skills and levels and stuff could be explained away as some sort of leftover of the previous timeline.

That of course would be dumb because if you
chose to fly away, what would they do, not let you play again?

I actually wish they made it like that, it would have made so much sense story wise and it's exactly what i was thinking when I choose
the Reset ending

What they really should have done is not even give you a choice at the end and make it automatically the Reset ending for your first playthrough and then the Evacuation ending on your second NG+ playthrough.

LiK

kasavin said:

DAMN, didn't know it can look even better.

Yuripaw

Banned
I wish I could preinstall the steam version. Still one hours to go til it's unlocked, but I still have to wait for it to download.

ArjanN

kasavin said:

Didn't know Greg had an account here.

Thanks for the info, pre-ordered and ready to go. :)

Yuripaw said:
I wish I could preinstall the steam version. Still one hours to go til it's unlocked, but I still have to wait for it to download.

It's only like 600 MB I think.

Yuripaw

Banned
LiK said:
should be up on Steam now.
Should be...but still no option to install! Come on! been waitin to play this all week, lol

Edit: Yay! finally! This is kinda why the updating at noon thing has always bugged me about steam. The day is technically already half over, just put it up at midnight or in the middle of the night at least so there's no waiting game like this.

It's up here, the demo button : it does nothing =(

Anyhow, sweet art, proper port and a demo: all the ingredients needed for a purchase from me.
Now if the secret ingredient (is it a lot of fun?) is there too then I will buy it.

Tokubetsu

Yep, downloading now =)

EDIT:
4xAA and Vsync on
You can definitely see how much sharper things are at 1080p (Even from the start up logos, particularly the Warner Bros logo). Click for bigger of course

Greg wasn't bullshitting =)

mileS

hmm locked at 48-49 fps for me, thats strange. I even tried turning vsync on and off, and just for the hell of it AF as well.

Tokubetsu

mileS said:
hmm locked at 48-49 fps for me, thats strange. I even tried turning vsync on and off, and just for the hell of it AF as well.

Yea I was noticing it running a little slow. Hope they patch that.

mileS

Why do I have to be picky! I wanted to play this really bad today but it looks like i'll have to wait for a fix. Hopefully it won't take long.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Speaking of very minor fixes, I was hoping Bastion would recognize my PS2 controller that I have hooked up via USB adapter. I'm pretty sure Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light recognized it without any fuss.

Since that probably won't get fixed, can someone remind me what that 360 pad emulator driver thing is called so I can try that out? I'll google it as well, but I'd like a recommendation from someone who has used it.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Speaking of very minor fixes, I was hoping Bastion would recognize my PS2 controller that I have hooked up via USB adapter. I'm pretty sure Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light recognized it without any fuss.

Since that probably won't get fixed, can someone remind me what that 360 pad emulator driver thing is called so I can try that out? I'll google it as well, but I'd like a recommendation from someone who has used it.

Motioninjoy

Tokubetsu

mileS

Thanks! I'm sure the folks at Supergiant Games eventually check this thread as well, but they seem pretty active and helpful so far on the Steam forums.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just played for a bit, also noticed the framerate. Otherwise the visual difference is quite significant. The detail on faces and weapons is much more noticeable, the image is just a lot crisper compared to 360. Load times are much shorter too.

Anyone notice there's 13 achievements instead of 12 for 360? It doesn't show up on the list so it's secret, wonder what it is.

thatbox

Banned
When they say it has "gamepad support" it seems like they actually mean "360 controller support," unless I'm missing something.

Hmm, MSI Afterburner says the game is running at about 58 FPS. Seems fine.

Not liking the keyboard controls though, and the game crashes when I use my DS3 with MotioninJoy.
I think I'll just buy a 360 wireless dongle thingy.

When they say it has "gamepad support" it seems like they actually mean "360 controller support," unless I'm missing something.
Yeah, only 360 pad support.

LiK

thatbox said:
Yea, that's usually it with Steam games.

mileS

Switching off fullscreen jumped the fps up to 60 but it only lasted about 5 seconds lol. I refuse to play games like this in windowed mode anyway. I noticed there was a title update already but i'm not sure what it fixed.

just to be clear i'm running a core i5-750, Windows 7 64 bit, Radeon HD5850

thatbox

Banned
YianGaruga said:
Hmm, MSI Afterburner says the game is running at about 58 FPS. Seems fine.

Not liking the keyboard controls though, and the game crashes when I use my DS3 with MotioninJoy.
I think I'll just buy a 360 wireless dongle thingy.

Yeah, only 360 pad support.
Oh well. Fuck it then. I'm better off saving the money anyway.

Blows my mind how we had better gamepad support a decade ago than we do in 2011 if you don't shell out the dough for a fucking 360 controller.

Okay, I don't know what changed, but MotioninJoy is working all of a sudden.
There was a small patch, maybe it did that.
Controls great with a pad! :)

Jsunu

Banned
mileS said:
Switching off fullscreen jumped the fps up to 60 but it only lasted about 5 seconds lol. I refuse to play games like this in windowed mode anyway. I noticed there was a title update already but i'm not sure what it fixed.

just to be clear i'm running a core i5-750, Windows 7 64 bit, Radeon HD5850

Oh shit this is my EXACT setup.. and it is still is chugging eh.... Might just wait for the patch then.

Top Bottom