• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
thatbox said:
When they say it has "gamepad support" it seems like they actually mean "360 controller support," unless I'm missing something.

I thought the description of the game specifically said gamepads AND 360 controllers, implying that it's not ONLY 360 controllers...

Anyone know of a free alternative to Xpadder that has a decent interface? (Joy2Key does not have a decent interface.)

Jsunu

Banned
Crunched said:
Sounds like it's time for an upgrade.

Eventually yes, but not for bastion since it doesn't seem like a very graphically intense game. I mean i can still play crysis 2/bullet storm/battlefield 3 on high for god sakes.

Unless you are being sarcastic, if so my internet sarcasm detector is broken.

My game runs at 58 FPS and that seems smooth enough, no stuttering or anything. Weird that different people have different locked framerates. Should be an easy thing to patch though.

Red

Jsunu said:
Eventually yes, but not for bastion since it doesn't seem like a very graphically intense game. I mean i can still play crysis 2/bullet storm/battlefield 3 on high for god sakes.

Unless you are being sarcastic, if so my internet sarcasm detector is broken.
Sounds like you'll need to have it fixed :(

thatbox

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
I thought the description of the game specifically said gamepads AND 360 controllers, implying that it's not ONLY 360 controllers...
I don't know, man. I don't understand how developers keep fucking this stuff up. I'm trying to get my Controller S going using this 360 controller emulator, but it only works in the menus so far. The analog stick and Start/Select work in-game, but I can't attack or anything. Pretty shitty, since I've been looking forward to this game for a long time. Glad I tried the demo before buying it.

It wouldn't even let me select the gamepad option until I had the emulator running, so it seems like you're just SOL unless you want to dig through a bunch of bullshit to get your pad working through hacks.

Okay now that I've got my DS3 working the game feels much better. Definitely play it with a pad.

It's probably somewhere in the thread, but can you revisit cleared areas? What if you missed something like a weapon in one of them?

denomes

YianGaruga said:
Okay, I don't know what changed, but MotioninJoy is working all of a sudden.
There was a small patch, maybe it did that.
Controls great with a pad! :)

Good to hear! Thanks for the update.

LiK

YianGaruga said:
Okay now that I've got my DS3 working the game feels much better. Definitely play it with a pad.

It's probably somewhere in the thread, but can you revisit cleared areas? What if you missed something like a weapon in one of them?
You can buy anything you missed from Lost and Found and there's NG+.

Bastion Soundtrack edition is up on Steam. $19.99 for the game and the soundtrack. Bought!

Edit: Files can be imported into iTunes from your Bastion directory and all the artwork is included. This is a great deal since the Soundtrack alone on the Super Giant games site is $10 for the digital download and $15 for a physical copy.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Bastion looks so gorgeous on the PC. I adore hand drawn art, and this is at the top with Baten Kaitos and Rayman Origins for me. Bastion is easily my indie game of 2011. It will probably make my top 10 games of the year as well.

The soundtrack is probably the second best part of it. The music is good enough by itself, but when they're playing in the game, it goes so perfectly with the levels.

thatbox

Banned
...aaaand bought. As annoyed as I was wrestling with drivers and a 360 controller emulator for two hours, this game is absolutely amazing.

Dakota47

I have this urge to phrase my first impressions as if I were The Stranger, but that has probably been done to death by now, so I'll stick to normal speak. Really liking the game so far! It looks lovely. I am really digging the art style.

The gameplay is nice and fluid. It reminds me a bit of the second Witcher.
I was gonna write "but done well", but I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about the Witcher. I do stand by that statement though.
Once I got into the 'shooting - dodging - hammering away with my huge maul' I was really having fun, especially in the harder fights. The default control scheme didn't really suit me btw, so I switched to the mason and that works out a lot better for me.

And to end with the narration: I love it. I can understand why some people call it a gimmick, but I don't agree with them. If it is done right like in Bastion it really adds to the game. I can't wait to play some more tomorrow.

Shuusui

wwm0nkey said:
Love the cover art for the OST
bastion_OST_front.jpg
Me too! :p

I haven't had any trouble with the game's performance, but I have had issues with the narrator. Namely how I can't stand the voice, the over-use of the phrase "Kid," AND I'm not digging the main character's design. Everything else I am REALLY enjoying.

reektann

Netrunner2k2 said:
I haven't had any trouble with the game's performance, but I have had issues with the narrator. Namely how I can't stand the voice, the over-use of the phrase "Kid," AND I'm not digging the main character's design. Everything else I am REALLY enjoying.

*Bites fist.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Can't say it enough times -- this game is absolutely beautiful, soundtrack's great and it's a must buy.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Welp, just realized I can't play it with a gamepad using Joy2Key or Xpadder because if you don't select gamepad in the controls menu the cursor is always on screen and it determines your attack direction. Come on, PC gaming, just let me customize my experience the way you're supposed to. :/

Dual Shock 3 through MotionInJoy is working perfectly for me, but I actually prefer this game with m/kb aside from the lack of analog movement. Been switching back and forth because I can't make up my mind. Great game thus far!

thatbox

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Welp, just realized I can't play it with a gamepad using Joy2Key or Xpadder because if you don't select gamepad in the controls menu the cursor is always on screen and it determines your attack direction. Come on, PC gaming, just let me customize my experience the way you're supposed to. :/
http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

That will let you fool Bastion into thinking your gamepad is an Xbox 360 controller.

BurningNad

Using MotionInJoy emulating a 360 controller works perfectly. Haven't had any issues with the game at all through the first 3 hours.

For those complaining about the narrator, there is a slider for "Narration Volume" in the audio settings. Perhaps slide it down all the way? I don't see how it could bother someone that much though, unless you just don't care for immersion or story.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
BurningNad said:
Using MotionInJoy emulating a 360 controller works perfectly. Haven't had any issues with the game at all through the first 3 hours.

For those complaining about the narrator, there is a slider for "Narration Volume" in the audio settings. Perhaps slide it down all the way? I don't see how it could bother someone that much though, unless you just don't care for immersion or story.

Do I have to have Bluetooth on my PC for that to work or can I plug in a DualShock3 with the USB charging cable?

FrankT

Finished this yesterday for the first time. Really such a great title. Everything wrapped up nicely and the music is just so good. Will play again.

Peterthumpa

DMPrince said:
56fps on my system. 1080p with 4xAA though. 5850 card. will buy because it's so beautiful.
Is AA really needed? Still downloading the game but I'm under the impression that it's completely 2D?

FrankT

amrod said:
How long did it take?

I probably took longer that the average joe as I really spread out my playing time. 8 hours or so perhaps. New game+ I'll probably get at least that as well as I will now do the challenge areas which I didn't do the first time.

Syril

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Got this working with relatively little trouble. Configuring the analog stick axes was the only confusing thing.

Now I can walk in a straight line down the corridors! Also this game is sweet so far.

What did you do to get it working? I have the controls set up and the program running, but the game doesn't think I have a controller.

Never mind, apparently the program has to be in the same folder as the game.

felipepl said:
Is AA really needed? Still downloading the game but I'm under the impression that it's completely 2D?
i think your character gets the AA. then again i'm using steam's shitty compression feature lol.

GWX

Just played the demo. So good, I hope I can buy it soon (no credit card =/).
Also, on my modest rig (9800GTX+ 512MB, Q6600, 4GB DDR2) it ran very well; 57 fps locked.

mr stroke

Performance has been fine for me(ATI) so far.

Guess I am alone on this one, but the game feels a little empty for me so far(about 2-3 hours in) It just feels like the same level over and over, plus a lot of hack and slash. Not much variety in weapons, game play, pacing, or puzzles. Its too bad because the art style, graphics, and music are out of this world.

jiien said:
I love the narration and soundtrack. Everything is just so beautiful.

I might be the only one, but I'm not really feeling the gameplay. I just beat the 1st boss and the gameplay isn't really drawing me in.

Everything else is top notch though so I might continue to play it.

edit: I guess mr. stroke agrees

mr stroke

Lactose_Intolerant said:
I might be the only one, but I'm not really feeling the gameplay. I just beat the 1st boss and the gameplay isn't really drawing me in.

Everything else is top notch though so I might continue to play it.

edit: I guess mr. stroke agrees

yep

This game is much more "style over substance" for me.

Top Bottom