• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

Card Boy

Banned
just clocked this.

Is Rucks
The kid? They both have white hair and Rucks and the kid both have to red scarfs around their necks, some of the narration seems like his talking about himself. Also in the credits Rucks has a miniature hammer (like the one the kid uses)

XeroSauce

Gez said:
just clocked this.

Is Rucks
The kid? They both have white hair and Rucks and the kid both have to red scarfs around their necks, some of the narration seems like his talking about himself. Also in the credits Rucks has a miniature hammer (like the one the kid uses)

I don't think so,
they are shown together multiple times and other then the small things you pointed out there's no discernible way to tell that they are the same person.

BigAT

Gez said:
just clocked this.

Is Rucks
If anything, I made the logical leap that
Rucks is The Kid's father. There is a lot of talk about The Kid not knowing who his father is, yet The Kid and Rucks share many physical traits and Rucks clearly knows a lot about The Kid's childhood and upbringing. There's certainly nothing in the game that definitively confirms this, but this was my takeaway from playing through the game.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
BigAT said:
If anything, I made the logical leap that
Rucks is The Kid's father. There is a lot of talk about The Kid not knowing who his father is, yet The Kid and Rucks share many physical traits and Rucks clearly knows a lot about The Kid's childhood and upbringing. There's certainly nothing in the game that definitively confirms this, but this was my takeaway from playing through the game.
I thought
Rucks was more like a grandfather, since I thought he was much older. But then with the natural white hair, I couldn't tell.

Kyaw

Ken Masters said:
I played two "dream sequence battle stages" is there a third one because I didn't get the achievement for it

Yup, there is. It's just before the 'final section' and it's in Bastion i think.
I missed it too.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Ken Masters said:
I played two "dream sequence battle stages" is there a third one because I didn't get the achievement for it

It's a bedroll that appears late in the game, near the pipe and the cooking pot at the southwestern part of the Bastion.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I've been putting 1-2 hours into this every night for the past week or so, just beat it for the first time tonight. I ended up
Not saving the guy
and then
rewinding time

Overall had a really good time with it, combat had that special something that made it both fast and fun.

theRizzle

I just started playing this game yesterday. I was sort of curious about the narration stuff, but the look of the game from screenshots didn't really do anything for me.

Man, am I ever glad I bought Bastion. I LOVE THIS GAME.

The art style is great and the narration is incredible. But what I really love is the animation. God, it just looks SO good. I just got the first
shard
, so I think I am a little more than halfway done. I ended up buying it for my little brother on Steam, and I think he is going to love it just as much as I do. Can't wait to see what Supergiant is going to do next.

More games need to do like Bastion when it comes to story. I love how the narration goes with the gameplay instead of adding an unnecessary cutscene. And it looks gorgeous!

Akia

itGuX.jpg

What a fantastic game from beginning to end. I had the game gifted to me. I have a feeling this game is going to breakout SELL LIKE CRAZY next month during Steam's Holiday Sale. I know for one that I'll be gifting copies to my friends.

Now onto my New Game Plus playthorugh!

LiK

itGuX.jpg

What a fantastic game from beginning to end. I had the game gifted to me. I have a feeling this game is going to breakout SELL LIKE CRAZY next month during Steam's Holiday Sale. I know for one that I'll be gifting copies to my friends.

Now onto my New Game Plus playthorugh!

NG+ is so much fun with all the weapons maxed out. MURDER THEM ALL!

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
https://twitter.com/#!/kasavin

"By the way, all the folks considering Bastion today ought to follow us, as we'll have some more Bastion-related news in the coming days..."

It's on steam today for $5 and Greg just tweeted that. Possible DLC content?

overcast

How are the controls on the PC version? If I don't use an xbox controller obviously.

It's only 5 dollars on Steam, so definitely considering it.

Platy

With this game being 5 dollars alone and 8 dollars with the soundtrack ... i have an important question ... what happens when you download the soundtrack+game on steam ?

Where the soundtrack go ?
Is it mp3 ?
DRM free ?

Will be the first time i get a soundtrack on steam ...

kasavin

Where the soundtrack go ?
Is it mp3 ?
DRM free ?

Hey, you'll download the soundtrack directly to your Steam install directory, which should look like this by default:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\bastion\Supergiant Games - Bastion Original Soundtrack

It's in MP3 format and is DRM-free.

Platy

Hey, you'll download the soundtrack directly to your Steam install directory, which should look like this by default:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\bastion\Supergiant Games - Bastion Original Soundtrack

It's in MP3 format and is DRM-free.

Thanks !

1 Bastion+Ost Got !

randomkid

I'm trying to use this FF14 Snakebyte controller on my new laptop with the Bastion demo. It's not recognizing the controller though, and then a little googling turns this up:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2061391

I tried the solution here but that's not working either, maybe I'm just doing something dumb cuz I'm new to this and it's all kind of a pain in the ass, but this controller seems to be working okay with Recettear so I don't know what the deal is. Anything I can do?

Bought on steam. Remapped the buttons to put the weapons on the bumpers and roll on the right trigger. I like being able to keep my thumbs on the sticks at all times.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Bought it because of the art style and sale on steam

Holy shit! Narration! I loved that concept in Alan wake!

Only played the first 3/4 levels so far... It's damn good so far

y2dvd

With these impressions and the game being $5 and making Time's top 10 games of the year list, I think I have to pick this up. Those screenshots look gorgeous.

Chuck

Still without luck
Just saw this and thought it was really cool.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/09/play-bastion-in-your-chrome-browser-right-now/

Google's new "Native Client" tech lets developers compile high-end programs to run directly in a Chrome browser window. One of the first companies to take advantage of this is Supergiant Games, who has released its PC/XBLA hit Bastion to the Chrome Web Store.

If you're running Chrome, and you meet the system requirements, trying out the new version is as simple as opening that link and hitting "Launch App." If it works well for you, you can purchase it for $14.99 and take your saved progress to any Chrome browser on any computer you happen to use. It worked pretty well for us -- on a Mac!

Here's the link Bastion in the Chrome webstore. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/oohphhdkahjlioohbalmicpokoefkgid

Feindflug

One of my favourite arcade games ever. I just love Bastion.

Listening to the amazing OST right now - there's simply no competition IMO about the best OST this year.

And yeah Bastion is a truly great game, one of the best games I've played this year and it will make it in the top 5 of my GOTY picks for sure. <3.

You know, though, I'm really not seeing any of this "reactive narration" except for a few very minor details such as staying in one place too long and going left instead of going right.

A bit disappointing.

Just a bit. Game's so good.

Really enjoying this game. For $5, such a steal. Easily worth $15. Everything about it is so slick and well-executed. The narrator's voice is really, really awesome.

The game gives me that same sort of edgy-cool happy/fuzzy feeling that Cowboy Bebop does.

Kyaw

You know, though, I'm really not seeing any of this "reactive narration" except for a few very minor details such as staying in one place too long and going left instead of going right.

A bit disappointing.

Just a bit. Game's so good.

Well, he's not gonna narrate for everything single thing you do in the game. :p

etiolate

Banned
I don't find the music to be memorable. It works and doesn't distract, but it isn't anything that strikes me as adding more to the experience.

I kind of agree, though I do like the Windbag Ballad whichamacallit.

Picked this up in the thanksgiving sale, been playing it in between study grinds for finals, really addicting in the best sense of the word, deviously well-crafted.

Top Bottom