• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
My twitter irks me with praise for this game.

Bulletstorm's lead designer came with excitement.
Deus Ex art director can't stop playing it.
Mass Effect producer says it's the best arcade game ever.

But my backlog is big. I must stay strong...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
7 new Steam achievements!

Before you go searching for these to the brink of madness, know that they're not yet in the version of the game you have. In order to test new achievements, which (cough) we may or may not be considering for inclusion in a future update (cough), we have to use the live servers since the game is out.

Speaking of achievements, regarding one of the secret one's in the PC version...

Has anybody gotten the achievement for using the Portal sentries? According to someone on the Steam forums it's obtainable by getting so many kills using it but I've had no luck with it.

PasteyMF

Just finished this game tonight. Best downloadable game of the year by far! I'd recommend this game to anybody that has $15 to spend. Big ups to the crew at Supergiant games. They did a great job, especially in the art & music department. The entire mechanic of rebuilding the world as you walk is awesome, from a technical and art direction standpoint. My only gripe is that the story gets a little lost at times with all the narrator talk. I lost focus of the story a couple times during the play through because of how often he speaks. Still, it's pretty experimental for a video game. Nothing really comes to mind when thinking of a game that actively talks about your actions while you play, so the fact that they pulled this off was neat. So kudos if you dudes are reading this. :D

As for my ending...
I chose to save Zulf and evacuate. I don't do New Game+ on games (just a preference), so I thought that would be good closure for the game for me. ;) The scene where you carry Zulf through the gauntlet and they all stop while the music sets in was bliss.

Salsa

Creamium said:
7 new Steam achievements!

I was surprised at no achievements for the gun trials

then again, the game has its own in-game achievement system of sorts, so yeah, its a weird balance to make i guess.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
LastWindow said:
Speaking of achievements, regarding one of the secret one's in the PC version...

Has anybody gotten the achievement for using the Portal sentries? According to someone on the Steam forums it's obtainable by getting so many kills using it but I've had no luck with it.

I got it early on in NG+ when
you have to deal with lots of enemies while the cage that holds the core goes up. That's a big open area and your turrets can get lots of kills. I figure it's also easy to do in Who Knows Where.

Kyaw

Just finished the game!

Such a great adventure from start to finish. Everything is nearly perfect.
Ran through the game with Army Carbine and Fire Bellow, best combo ever!

I chose to save Zulf and go for the evacuation plan. Seems like the most reasonable thing to do. That and Zia prefers the life after the Calamity.

Onto New Game+ !

Also i didn't get the 'End Game' achievement. lol
Steam says i've finished it in 6 hours, i know it probably didn't record 2 hours.

I need to see those Portal stuff.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
So how do you get the
Portal-related
achievement?
I did a Who Knows Where and had like 15 turrets set up that just annihilated everything immediately but I didn't get it.

Also it looks like there is 7 new ones, they are all hidden though.

ArjanN

NameGenerated said:
So how do you get the
Portal-related
achievement?
I did a Who Knows Where and had like 15 turrets set up that just annihilated everything immediately but I didn't get it.

Also it looks like there is 7 new ones, they are all hidden though.

I don't think the other new achievements are active yet, there's a post on the steam forums that says they're testing them for an upcoming update. (patch, or maybe DLC I guess)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
New Steam achievements revealed (new game update) :

Man-at-Arms
Use the Forge to fully upgrade every weapon.

Whatever's Out There
Complete the Kid's Dream with five or more Shrine Idols invoked.

Just Like That
Complete the Kid's Dream with all ten Shrine Idols invoked.

Lock Yourself In
Complete the Singer's Dream with five or more Shrine Idols invoked.

Calamity All Around
Complete the Singer's Dream with all ten Shrine Idols invoked.

A Lasting Peace
Complete the Survivor's Dream with five or more Shrine Idols invoked.

Ashes in the Sky
Complete the Survivor's Dream with all ten Shrine Idols invoked.

Note: These achievements will not be awarded retroactively to players who met the requirements before this update. Man-at-Arms will be awarded when entering a fully upgraded Forge.

hiverbon

Neo Member
Just finished the bit where Zia's theme is playing in the background... when it all comes together towards the end of that level, I think I just sat there, mouth open. What a perfect combination of music, atmosphere and story. Such a fantastic, fantastic game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dammit, I just started a new game plus. It'll be a while until I get a true forge to finish off the last weapon I didn't upgrade.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
LiK said:

meh :p

23wp2eu.png

ArjanN

thetrin said:
Dammit, I just started a new game plus. It'll be a while until I get a true forge to finish off the last weapon I didn't upgrade.

You can get through a new game+ in like an hour and a half. :p

Shuusui

How is the PC performance? I've been hesitant because of reports of performance issues. Also, is this more of a gamepad > keyboard title? Might need to invest if that's the case.

dmshaposv

Man I love this game, the awesome narrator and the combat feels tight and fun to me.

I'm still somewhere at the wilds, got the fire bellows some time ago - roughly how much of the game is left? I'm assuming I'm close to finishing and discovering what is up with zulf.

Kyaw

dmshaposv said:
Man I love this game, the awesome narrator and the combat feels tight and fun to me.

I'm still somewhere at the wilds, got the fire bellows some time ago - roughly how much of the game is left? I'm assuming I'm close to finishing and discovering what is up with zulf.

About 2 hours away from the end? I'm not sure.

Fire bellows + Army Carbine = best combo!

Marco1

Finished this today and it's worth the time and money invested in it.
The leaderboards show 160,000 on xbox live and 65,000 on steam.

wutwutwut

Shuusui said:
How is the PC performance? I've been hesitant because of reports of performance issues. Also, is this more of a gamepad > keyboard title? Might need to invest if that's the case.
Keyboard all the way! PC performance is great.

dLMN8R

I love this game, and it's sold very well so far.

For Story leaderboards:
XBLA is at 147998
PC is at 65588

That alone isn't bad at all for a PC version that came out a month after the XBLA version, but then consider that we actually know the percentage of PC purchasers who have played the game so far:

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/bastion/achievements/

You can safely say that 92.8% of people who have purchased the game have played the game so far.

65588/.928 = 70676

So the total sales are around 218674 (at least, since probably not everyone on Xbox has played it yet)

Well deserved :)

hiverbon

Neo Member
Yeah
saving zulf
was one of the best moments in the game besides
finding zia and her music playing amazingness. The way that the enemies gradually stopped firing (and the ones that didn't got killed) along with the music was just phenomenal.

dmshaposv

Alright duders, this game is in my top 5 of this year.

Imma buy the shit out of the OST. The best of the year, right there up with Portal 2 and possibly Deus Ex.

Now gonna go finally start Human Revolution! such a fuck awesome year for RPGS!

Zafir

I guess the disk soundtrack got more publicity than they were expecting. I remember when I bought my copy it said there was only going to be 1000. Seems it went up to 2500.

derder

Should I buy this on PC or 360?

I'll be playing it with the same tv, controller, etc. I just care to know what the benefits are for each version. I've searched for about an hour now and can't find anything solid.

Stallion Free said:
Valve doesn't decide to put a game on sale, the publisher does.

They both do AFAIK, a publisher can initiate a sale, or Valve can recommend to a publisher that it's time to have one.

For example for the daily sales Steam recently started, I think it's safe to say it's Valve that has made a schedule for putting a new game on sale each day (and they have got permission from the publishers), not the other way around.

Cmagus

playing through this now it's pretty awesome.The challenges for each weapon are tough as hell though.Right now I am roughly half way through and my combo is War machete, breaker bow and grenades.As for the price it is well worth it support these guys.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
angular graphics said:
They both do AFAIK, a publisher can initiate a sale, or Valve can recommend to a publisher that it's time to have one.

For example for the daily sales Steam recently started, I think it's safe to say it's Valve that has made a schedule for putting a new game on sale each day (and they have got permission from the publishers), not the other way around.
Yeah they organize stuff obviously, but what I was saying is that they don't have control over whether a game goes on sale or not. It's better to beg the publisher/dev for a sale.

Cmagus

Last night I was struggling hard with some of the weapon challenges today I said screw it went in and destroyed everyone in no time but the shield one was still tough especially with that blob guy at the end

Top Bottom