• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Finished the game this morning, I have no idea what the story was about. Not that I was paying the best attention, you pretty much have to be a pretty good auditory learner if you want to pick it up. I had captions on so I could read and listen, but hell, sometimes I couldn't do both and play the game.

... I don't know if I would have liked the game so much if it not had been for everyone already telling (reading online, podcasts) how awesome it was. There isn't one thing that I didn't like about the game... but there just wasn't anything about it that I found particularly brilliant. The visuals and music were solid, the narration is a neat thing to play the game through, and I enjoyed the combat.

But in the end nothing about the game wow'ed me. I have never been a fan of these isometric beat-up games, in fact I'm pretty sure Bastion is the first type that I've ever finished, maybe ever. So that's high enough praise for me for this game - I don't even like the genre.

I give it a personal 3/5.

So what the hell was the story about, anyone?

Jonm1010

Banned
Bought this game yesterday and I'm absolutely addicted. So fun. I never followed the lead up or the hype threads and only on a whim from boredom downloaded the demo. So glad I did though.

The story narration is also very brilliant. I guess though I can understand the knock the last poster said about not being an auditory learner hampering their ability to understand the story.

For me though I thought it was a brilliant way to tell a story that doesn't break the flow of gameplay or necessitates long cut scenes or hours of reading. If you don't like it you can turn it off but for me it added another dimension to the game. I do admit at times so far I have tuned out due to hyper focus on the gameplay. Hopefully I dont miss too much though.

Gaspode_T

Still enjoying it slowly like a fine wine..love it so much

I was getting frustrated with some of the weapon challenges so I had a crazy idea..I decided to hook up my Hori arcade stick which has turbo buttons, omg you have no idea how fast you can fire with turbo lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Gaspode_T said:
Still enjoying it slowly like a fine wine..love it so much

I was getting frustrated with some of the weapon challenges so I had a crazy idea..I decided to hook up my Hori arcade stick which has turbo buttons, omg you have no idea how fast you can fire with turbo lol

I did all the weapon challenges before the final stage. With 3 upgrades they're very doable, don't stress yourself out early on.

Jonm1010

Banned
Alright just finished the game. Loved every second of it!

The story, the music, the gameplay, the challenges. All top notch.

Definitely my early game of the year contender(granted I havent got to play too many this year).

One of the few games where the decisions really made me think and think very philosophically about what my decision may mean. Very well done.

The more time I put between myself and my playthroughs of Bastion the more I realize that this game is definitely one of my all time favorites. Not just my GOTY, but one of those gaming experiences I'll remember for the rest of my gaming years with incredibly fond memories. Strong recommendation from me to anyone still on the fence or just considering giving it a try

HenryHSH

The soundtrack is fuckin amazing. Love the game so far. I'm almost done
I just brought Zia back to the Bastion
, but I can't stop listening to the Gramophone. This is definitely my most enjoyed game so far this year.

Oh and for some weird reason I got a Diablo II vibe in some areas in the game.

Cmagus said:
Last night I was struggling hard with some of the weapon challenges today I said screw it went in and destroyed everyone in no time but the shield one was still tough especially with that blob guy at the end

Edit: The shield one was pretty annoying. The narrator gives you a great hint about the blob at the end though.
Don't counter the blob but lead it off the edge of the map.

_woLf

Just finished it.

Saved Zulf, executed evacuation plan. Zulf was just vengeful, and tried to save me. Zia liked post-calamity world. And I <3 Rucks.

Jaw dropping experience, really. You don't get them like this that much these days, and it's a great thing to play a game like this. And the end theme was just amazing.

Should be a serious contender for GOTY, and every gamer needs to play this.

kai3345 said:
Any word on if/when this is coming to PSN?

Greg Kasavin said that a move to other platforms are still in flux in quite a few post release interviews, so it could happen. But don't forget Super Giant Games are still a small team of guys/gals (only 5 people I believe), so porting to PSN - or any other platform - would most likely completely halt what they have planned next. I guess they'd have to be very sure a late PSN would still sell well before devoting resources.

LiK

Keyser Soze said:
Greg Kasavin said that a move to other platforms are still in flux in quite a few post release interviews, so it could happen. But don't forget Super Giant Games are still a small team of guys/gals (only 5 people I believe), so porting to PSN - or any other platform - would most likely completely halt what they have planned next. I guess they'd have to be very sure a late PSN would still sell well before devoting resources.
7 guys actually. But yea, team is TINY.

Card Boy

Banned
Whats the point of doing new game plus in this? Whats it do? is there anymore story? I'm about to clock it i think. I saved
Zia for the second time, and am going after the last shard

Avoid spoilers please.

LiK

Gez said:
Whats the point of doing new game plus in this? Whats it do? is there anymore story? I'm about to clock it i think. I saved

Avoid spoilers please.
You'll see.

Gez said:

Avoid spoilers please.
Seriously, pretty much nothing. There's almost zero change to the gameplay and the narrator has almost no lines changed, and the few instances where you'll recognize he says something different it's not something that alters the story in the least. The main reason to go through twice would be
to see the other ending outcome
and for achievements.

I'll be honest, not sure why LiK made it sound so secretive when I thought it was pretty much a waste in terms of what could have been different. Everything I read prior to beating it twice made it sound like it'd almost be on the terms of Nier's second playthrough but there's seriously almost no reason to go through a second time, aside from just enjoying the game and wanting to go through it again.

Wibblewozzer said:
Seriously, pretty much nothing. There's almost zero change to the gameplay and the narrator has almost no lines changed, and the few instances where you'll recognize he says something different it's not something that alters the story in the least. The main reason to go through twice would be to see the other ending outcome and for achievements.

I'll be honest, not sure why LiK made it sound so secretive when I thought it was pretty much a waste in terms of what could have been different. Everything I read prior to beating it twice made it sound like it'd almost be on the terms of Nier's second playthrough but there's seriously almost no reason to go through a second time, aside from just enjoying the game and wanting to go through it again.

Well there's not no reason, there's upgrading all your other weapons and all that jazz. Completing everything is enough for some.

randomlyrossy said:
Well there's not no reason, there's upgrading all your other weapons and all that jazz. Sure there's no story reasons to go through again other than
to see the other outcomes
but completing everything is enough for some.
Well, that's why I added that you can go through for the pure joy or whatever. I set the goal to hit level 10 and to fully upgrade everything but by him saying not to post spoilers I got the impression he also meant in what significant reason is there to go through. And the changes are extremely minimal to the point that they're insignificant.

I don't fault the game for having a New Game+ mode, though. I really wish more did it, mainly just so I can go back through areas powered up if I desire to do so. I felt like I was misled leading up to going through again because I got the impression that I'd have an altered experience and that's simply not the case.

LiK

^ The dude asked for no spoilers and you mentioned you can get the
alternate ending
. He's only going for the last shard now so I assume he's not at the end game yet. Maybe you should spoiler tag that.

NG+ a waste of time? I disagree. No one ever said NG+ was a completely different experience. Where did you get that impression? The ability to replay with everything you leveled up/collected made the game even more fun.

Edit: Rossy beat me.

Spoilered it at your suggestion. I had read his post wrong and for some reason thought he had beaten it once or something and was about to start the New Game+. Mainly just me skimming too quickly.

And at this point I can't think of why I thought there'd be more significant changes to New Game+ but for some reason I had that impression going in. Not sure if it was a review, Giant Bombcast comment, or just gleeful comments within this thread, or perhaps just sheer hope. Whatever the case I had expected a lot more out of the second time through and I didn't get it.

Aside from that, comments like your "You'll see" with nothing else definitely make it seem like there's some neat surprise. I know that's what I'd take away from that. I agree with you that playing through again with leveled up gear is a great time, though I popped some idols on for my second go to level the challenge closer to appropriate with the maxed weapons I was using and a full set of spirits.

I think they could have really made New Game+ neat with the set-up in the game and it was a missed opportunity. That's all.

Bastion is still my top pick from the Summer of Arcade line up and a great game. I've told many coworkers about it in hopes of earning it more sales.

LiK

Wibblewozzer said:
Spoilered it at your suggestion. I had read his post wrong and for some reason thought he had beaten it once or something and was about to start the New Game+. Mainly just me skimming too quickly.

And at this point I can't think of why I thought there'd be more significant changes to New Game+ but for some reason I had that impression going in. Not sure if it was a review, Giant Bombcast comment, or just gleeful comments within this thread, or perhaps just sheer hope. Whatever the case I had expected a lot more out of the second time through and I didn't get it.

Aside from that, comments like your "You'll see" with nothing else definitely make it seem like there's some neat surprise. I know that's what I'd take away from that. I agree with you that playing through again with leveled up gear is a great time, though I popped some idols on for my second go to level the challenge closer to appropriate with the maxed weapons I was using and a full set of spirits.

I think they could have really made New Game+ neat with the set-up in the game and it was a missed opportunity. That's all.

Bastion is still my top pick from the Summer of Arcade line up and a great game. I've told many coworkers about it in hopes of earning it more sales.
I thought it was a "neat surprise". To each their own.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
pnFlW.png

I was a little late on this, but I was lucky enough to finally be gifted it by Khatoz after having it at #2 on my wishlist and it is amazing. The art, soundtrack, narration, everything. Finished it with all achievements today so I guess I'm done, but I'd love to see DLC or a sequel someday.

Love the "Build That Wall" song, stopped in my tracks and listened when I heard it. It's rare that a song with lyrics makes complete sense with the story, and it kinda touched me in a way because the message was completely different from how beautiful it sounded at first. The ending song was great too. Haven't heard such a great soundtrack in a game in a while.

So awesome! I think this is easily one of my top games of the gen. Can't believe it was made by such a small team.

I took a few screenshots (1920x1080) that could be used as desktops and made the first one; thought I'd share. Last few have possible spoilers / spoiler-ish:

http://minus.com/iwWKoq9zmspL8.png
http://minus.com/ib0EqdQnhEdEwc.png
http://minus.com/izuiKuvCNC2Ve.png

Cmagus

Just finished the game and what an experience this game was.Such a great game, good story, amazing art and fantastic music.I seriously haven't had an enjoyable experience like this in a long time serious props to Super Giant Games.

The end if you choose to save Zulf and you carry him through the area while getting hurt was so damn awesome

Seanspeed

Banned
So I beat Bastion. I had a lot of fun playing with the different weapons and experimenting with different upgrades and whatnot, but holy hell, did any of you understand anything that was going on in the story? I seriously never had a clue the entire time. I liked the narration, but mainly for flavor rather than the information he gave.

Scapegoat

Seanspeed said:
So I beat Bastion. I had a lot of fun playing with the different weapons and experimenting with different upgrades and whatnot, but holy hell, did any of you understand anything that was going on in the story? I seriously never had a clue the entire time. I liked the narration, but mainly for flavor rather than the information he gave.
Generally after the narrator reveals something about the story (usually in a cryptic fashion) the next loading screen will tell you what this means in plain and simple terms.

xelios

Seanspeed said:

The story as I understood it (spoilers, obviously -- only read if you are satisfied you saw everything you wanted to see):

The main story was of a war between the Ura (Zia & Zulf are Ura) & the Caelondians (like Kid & the narrator) which resulted in the Calamity (mass destruction of both civilizations). In our terms think of Caelondians as an advanced western society and the Ura as a more primitive eastern who lived "underground". Ura refugees were allowed in Caelondia as long as they never went back to their home, the Tazal Terminals, but there was still a lot of racism and they were watched closely by the Marshals/Mancers of the city. They were regarded as potential traitors who would sell out city secrets to the Tazal Terminals if they were allowed to leave.

Zia and her father (a brilliant scientist named Venn) lived in Caelondia, and in the dreams which tell the stories of the characters Zia meets a young man and tries to escape the city walls with him, but he betrays her and tells the authorities her father is using her as a spy to sell Caelondian secrets to the Ura. In exchange for Zia's freedom her father agrees to work for the city's Mancers.

The Caelondian Mancers task her father to work on a weapon of mass destruction which would destroy his own people (Ura). He resents this and rigs the weapon to backfire on them but it ultimately causes the Calamity, destroying most of both civilizations; there are few survivors and everyone else is turned to ash.

It was Zia who sang the bitter song "Build That Wall" during the story, which was basically a war chant telling the Caelondians they better build that wall stronger because one day the Ura would destroy it and the refugees (like herself) would be free. As beautiful as it sounds the message is one of deep resentment.

Zulf was on a mission to form peace between the Ura and Caelondians, so there is also a lot of bitterness and resentment at what they did to the Ura, and also because the Calamity killed his lover. He wants revenge on the only thing left of Caelondia, the Bastion, which Caelondia built as a means to reverse time/mistakes or, as a last resort, for a mass evacuation of its people. The narrator helped build it, and most of the time while you are gone he is telling these stories to Zia.

In the end the narrator wants you to reverse time, all the mistakes, death and suffering, and take back the Calamity. So he tasks you with finding the cores the Bastion needs for power to do this, which were scattered in the Calamity. The areas are floating because the Calamity ripped the world apart and tossed the pieces into the heavens.

Zia wants to stay in the present and evacuate instead. She assumes that if you turn back time the Calamity will just happen again and everyone will have to relive it. It's your choice. She says that all her good memories are after the Calamity, not before. She doesn't want to lose her new found freedom.

Zulf is seen as a traitor by the Ura and they almost kill him at the end. If you take Zulf's body he lives and is shown sailing on the Bastion with everyone else, if you choose evacuation. If you leave him he is missing from the art work, presumably left to die. When you carry his body out the Ura attack you initially, but then, as a sign of respect for a Caelondian showing empathy for an Ura, they just watch you and allow you to leave. There is even a point where a single Ura archer tries to attack you during this and he is cut down by a higher ranking Ura.

If you take Zulf and choose restoration he is shown being with his lover again in the credits, the narrator is shown by the monument working on the Bastion again (with the squirts being docile again), and Zia alone and sad at once again being a prisoner of the city walls -- looks like she's playing her harp and singing Build That Wall. You can see these photos in the top screenshot of my last post.

The kid's story is less interesting and told during the Kid's dream if you want to know more about it. He worked building the wall and sent money home to his mother.

Seanspeed

Banned
Scapegoat said:
Generally after the narrator reveals something about the story (usually in a cryptic fashion) the next loading screen will tell you what this means in plain and simple terms.
I mean, I can understand single sentences and all, but putting them into context within the plot was lost on me. Its not a long game and everything progressed so quickly(story-wise) that I was lost within the first half and hour and never recovered after that.

xelios said:
The story as I understood it (spoilers, obviously -- only read if you are satisfied you saw everything you wanted to see):

The main story was of a war between the Ura (Zia & Zulf are Ura) & the Caelondians (like Kid & the narrator) which resulted in the Calamity (mass destruction of both civilizations). In our terms think of Caelondians as an advanced western society and the Ura as a more primitive eastern who lived "underground". Ura refugees were allowed in Caelondia as long as they never went back to their home, the Tazal Terminals, but there was still a lot of racism and they were watched closely by the Marshals/Mancers of the city. They were regarded as potential traitors who would sell out city secrets to the Tazal Terminals if they were allowed to leave.

Zia and her father (a brilliant scientist named Venn) lived in Caelondia, and in the dreams which tell the stories of the characters Zia meets a young man and tries to escape the city walls with him, but he betrays her and tells the authorities her father is using her as a spy to sell Caelondian secrets to the Ura. In exchange for Zia's freedom her father agrees to work for the city's Mancers.

The Caelondian Mancers task her father to work on a weapon of mass destruction which would destroy his own people (Ura). He resents this and rigs the weapon to backfire on them but it ultimately causes the Calamity, destroying most of both civilizations; there are few survivors and everyone else is turned to ash.

It was Zia who sang the bitter song "Build That Wall" during the story, which was basically a war chant telling the Caelondians they better build that wall stronger because one day the Ura would destroy it and the refugees (like herself) would be free. As beautiful as it sounds the message is one of deep resentment.

Zulf was on a mission to form peace between the Ura and Caelondians, so there is also a lot of bitterness and resentment at what they did to the Ura, and also because the Calamity killed his lover. He wants revenge on the only thing left of Caelondia, the Bastion, which Caelondia built as a means to reverse time/mistakes or, as a last resort, for a mass evacuation of its people. The narrator helped build it, and most of the time while you are gone he is telling these stories to Zia.

In the end the narrator wants you to reverse time, all the mistakes, death and suffering, and take back the Calamity. So he tasks you with finding the cores the Bastion needs for power to do this, which were scattered in the Calamity. The areas are floating because the Calamity ripped the world apart and tossed the pieces into the heavens.

Zia wants to stay in the present and evacuate instead. She assumes that if you turn back time the Calamity will just happen again and everyone will have to relive it. It's your choice. She says that all her good memories are after the Calamity, not before. She doesn't want to lose her new found freedom.

Zulf is seen as a traitor by the Ura and they almost kill him at the end. If you take Zulf's body he lives and is shown sailing on the Bastion with everyone else, if you choose evacuation. If you leave him he is missing from the art work, presumably left to die. When you carry his body out the Ura attack you initially, but then, as a sign of respect for a Caelondian showing empathy for an Ura, they just watch you and allow you to leave. There is even a point where a single Ura archer tries to attack you during this and he is cut down by a higher ranking Ura.

If you take Zulf and choose restoration he is shown being with his lover again in the credits, the narrator is shown by the monument working on the Bastion again (with the squirts being docile again), and Zia alone and sad at once again being a prisoner of the city walls -- looks like she's playing her harp and singing Build That Wall. You can see these photos in the top screenshot of my last post.

The kid's story is less interesting and told during the Kid's dream if you want to know more about it. He worked building the wall and sent money home to his mother.
Wow, thats actually pretty interesting. Thanks for taking the time to write that out. I might have to go back one day and replay it so I can actually take the story in as I go.

marcurius

Quick question, sorry if it's been asked. Is it possible to turn off the narration? In all the videos I've seen of this I found it extremely jarring and distracting, I also don't like the voice of the narrator. I'd rather disable it altogether and read up on the story somewhere else.

Really enjoyed this game.

Anyone know how it doing on Steam? (ie numbers posted to the leaderboards). I have it on the 360. In a recent article in Gamasutra they speculated it has (so far) sold around 150K on the 360. I really hope it does well, given the love and detail put into this game. They really deserve success.

Seanspeed

Banned
marcurius said:
Quick question, sorry if it's been asked. Is it possible to turn off the narration? In all the videos I've seen of this I found it extremely jarring and distracting, I also don't like the voice of the narrator. I'd rather disable it altogether and read up on the story somewhere else.
Yea, you can. But I wouldn't recommend it. The game holds up well on its own gameplay-wise, but the narration is part of the experience.

Risible

For people saying they didn't understand the story elements - did you do all of the "Who Knows Where" segments? They explain a LOT of the story in there.

xelios

marcurius said:

Yeah, but the narration and learning about the world, the characters and why I was doing what I was doing as I played was what kept things interesting for me. Also the voice acting was top notch.

Captain Bluey said:
Really enjoyed this game.

Anyone know how it doing on Steam? (ie numbers posted to the leaderboards). I have it on the 360. In a recent article in Gamasutra they speculated it has (so far) sold around 150K on the 360. I really hope it does well, given the love and detail put into this game. They really deserve success.

As far as the leaderboards it's 80,000+ for the story, 48,000 for the first dream, 31,000 for the second and around 16,000 for the third. I managed to get 134-268 at one point in the three dreams with all idols, but fell some lately and for the life of me can't figure out what affects the score.

Seanspeed

Banned
Risible said:
For people saying they didn't understand the story elements - did you do all of the "Who Knows Where" segments? They explain a LOT of the story in there.
Dont know what you're talking about specifically. I stopped caring about all the names of things after a while since I realized it meant nothing to me.

xelios

Seanspeed said:
Dont know what you're talking about specifically. I stopped caring about all the names of things after a while since I realized it meant nothing to me.

The pipe, the cooking pot and the bedroll in the Bastion. Kid's, Zia's and Zulf's stories respectively.

Seanspeed

Banned
xelios said:
The pipe, the cooking pot and the bedroll in the Bastion. Kid's, Zia's and Zulf's stories respectively.
Those wave-based sidequest things? I did the pipe and cooking pot one. Dont think I ever got the bedroll one(I dont think). Like I said, though, I kind of gave up on the story after a while since I already had no idea what was going on.

xelios

Seanspeed said:
Those wave-based sidequest things? I did the pipe and cooking pot one. Dont think I ever got the bedroll one(I dont think). Like I said, though, I kind of gave up on the story after a while since I already had no idea what was going on.

Yeah, and the bedroll comes in really late, near the end. They're really only for backstory of the characters and to challenge yourself (with all idols they can be pretty difficult) since they each have leaderboards. Nothing necessary.

Tokubetsu

Did everyone else get the score that ordered it? I got mine last week or the week before I forgot to post haha. Forgot it was gonna be signed too. Hope they don't make anymore merch haha, I've already bought the game twice and spent 15 on the soundtrack lol.

dLMN8R

Beat this game a few weeks ago, and absolutely adore it! So glad that it's sold so well on both platforms.

So I've nerded out and kept track of Steam stats for the last few weeks. The game's still selling surprisingly well.

9/4
73,965 on leaderboards
93.1% had first achievement
79,446 total customers including those who hadn't played yet (you don't get on leaderboards until you start playing)

9/11
81,588 on leaderboards
93.4% played
87,353 total customers
(7,907 new purchases in a week)

9/18
87,392 on leaderboards
93.5% played
93,467 total customers
(6,114 new purchases in a week)

Not bad for a game 1 month after the release of the PC version, 2 months after the XBLA version :)

Top Bottom