• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

xbhaskarx

Holy shit I'm only 15-20 minutes into it and this game is amazing!

Whoever is in charge of picking XBLA games for the Summer of Arcade promotion does a really good job (for the most part, of course there was TMNT and we'll see about Fruit Ninja)...

Have the developers made anything else of note?

Everyone with a 360 should at least go download the trial version of Bastion ASAP!

acm2000

xbhaskarx said:
Holy shit I'm only 15-20 minutes into it and this game is amazing!

Whoever is in charge of picking XBLA games for the Summer of Arcade promotion does a really good job (for the most part, of course there was TMNT and we'll see about Fruit Ninja)...

Have the developers made anything else of note?

its their first game, the team is made up of ex EA devs

xbhaskarx

I just got to the end of the trial and unlocked the game, I thought the narrator was supposed to say something at that point? Did I miss it?

xbhaskarx said:
I just got to the end of the trial and unlocked the game, I thought the narrator was supposed to say something at that point? Did I miss it?

He said something along the lines of "Well, look who's back" when I unlocked the game.

Reknoc

Just played through the trial. Loved it, shame I don't have the points to get it though it's definitely on top of my to get list when I can get some points.

During the tutorial section, as soon as you get the bow the music was really familiar to me and it was bugging me for a bit but now I know where I recognise it from; it's very similar to music used during idents for a UK TV channel (FIVE US):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXMULjFaaBc

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Just finished the demo, not my cup of tea really, I think I'm learning I'm just not a fan of 'brawler' type games, I find them too repetitive, not to say that's a bad thing, it's just a repetition I'm not a fan of, I absolutely love the art direction though, and the narrator is a nice touch, I think my heart wishes this game was a classic RPG tbh.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
DeadRockstar said:
He said something along the lines of "Well, look who's back" when I unlocked the game.

He says that anyway eventually after a few times of quitting and reloading.

zlatko

Banned
Played the demo loved it, and hate that I'm a poor man right now. Scratches that long Mana game itch I've had for a while now.

Will draw something horrible in paint for 1200 points. Takers? :p

Keasar

Squirt
thumblg.png

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Squirt/00001000-9ca2-a2a3-c390-f67758410b66?cid=SLink

The name and shape of this thing just ruins it for me. :p

Fjordson

xbhaskarx said:
The art is obviously beautiful but I'm really liking the music too.
Yeah, I knew about the art going in, but the music is surprisingly brilliant. A few pieces remind me of Firefly. Western vibe with some weird sci-fi sounds to it.

Having an insanely fun time. On my fourth "area' right now. The narrator is so cool and all the little details you learn about the Kid's world are really neat.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Just played the trial and thought it was good. It probably didn't prove it justice though since it's an RPG. Might buy it during a deal of the week.

Vire

S1kkZ said:
no, not for me. constant slight stutter and framerate problems (when the first enemy showed up, it ran in slowmotion for a few seconds).
Are you running it off a usb stick or something? I honestly haven't noticed that nor did any review mention that.

S1kkZ

Vire said:
Are you running it off a usb stick or something? I honestly haven't noticed that nor did any review mention that.
slim, 250gb hdd. i am still in the first area of the trial, maybe it gets better later on.
love the game so far, didnt expect the fighting system to be that good.

zlatko

Banned
toythatkills said:
There is really, really obvious slowdown in the area where it's raining.

That's the only area in the demo I noticed it too. You drop down, rain starts, and game chugs there for a solid amount before it catches itself again. Not a biggy though since it was the only time I noticed, but if it's a constant thing throughout the game that is a shame...

Just hit level 3 and the only slowdown I've come across so far was from the musket hitting a ton of enemies at once, but you're locked in an animation at that point anyway so it wasn't an issue. The game feels really smooth for me.

S1kkZ

ok, finished the trial with my us account, bought the game and started from the beginning with my main (german) account. now the game runs much better, maybe a problem with the trial? anyway: game is fantastic!

Shaneus

I've put a bit of time into this (spoiler?
just unlocked the Bastion
) and love it. The soundtrack has me absolutely floored, too... any idea if it will be available for download somewhere?

Geoff9920

bathala said:
i wonder if u'll able to replay levels later. I missed a material then I got warped out
There's a new game plus, but I don't believe you can replay a level on the same playthrough.

Phatcorns

So do you get experience for every enemy you kill? That is actually something that is really important to me. I hate brawler type games where I'm just beating the shit out of everyone but not really getting anything from it.

bathala

Banned
wanted to get all of it on one playthrough.

I hope I don't have to redo proving ground challenges.

Phatcorns said:
So do you get experience for every enemy you kill? That is actually something that is really important to me. I hate brawler type games where I'm just beating the shit out of everyone but not really getting anything from it.
yes u get exp. even health and skill vile if its max

angelfly

Finished the demo and won't be picking this one up.

+ great music
+ great art direction

- constant narration became bit annoying and was distracting when it happened during combat
- combat just doesn't feel that great to me

Shurs

I'm excited to download Bastion tonight.

I don't know when I'll get around to playing it, but I want to show some Day One support for what looks like an interesting game.

Top Bottom