• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

Ohwiseone

I have played I think an hour and half or so of it. I love it so much, it's a fantastic first game from SuperGiant.

Once I got the way the combat felt and moved, it became really fluid and I love it, It was a little bit weird, but after the adjustment it was great.

The story is interesting, I am very much into it and I am enjoying it.

dock

I've never had any interest in this. I wonder what's wrong with me. The environments seemed really stiff and conspicuously just a painting, and the idea of narration always sounded more goofy to me than anything.

I'm curious as to whether the gameplay is anything special, or whether people are especially smitten by the art and voiceover.

This game is quite a joy and honestly I'm glad it's close to a half a gig. I love XBLA games that pack a huge amount of content in just a couple hundred megabytes i.e. Torchlight.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
MarshMellow96 said:
I don't want to be too much of a bother but...

(From the last page)

If you haven't bought it yet you might as well get it with The Maw. If you've already got that, well, I've nothing else to say to you..
Anybody done this yet? How does it work?

MarshMellow96 said:
I don't want to be too much of a bother but...

(From the last page)

If you haven't bought it yet you might as well get it with The Maw. If you've already got that, well, I've nothing else to say to you..

I assume this doesn't work if you bought the game over Xbox live?

edit: Nevermind I read the fine print and it states that this doesn't count for previous purchases. :(

HBroward

My favorite line so far:
He cuts down every stabweed like there's gonna be a prize for it.
Yeah, I've got OCD in games like this. :)

AEREC

Emerson said:
Anybody done this yet? How does it work?

Id like to know as well...I was actually pretty close to buying The Maw last week but decided to wait for a sale.

edit: nm, read the fine print..guess ill have to do it through the MS store when I get From Dust or Toy Soldiers.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
AEREC said:
Id like to know as well...I was actually pretty close to buying The Maw last week but decided to wait for a sale.

edit: nm, read the fine print..guess ill have to do it through the MS store when I get From Dust or Toy Soldiers.

*Valid for Bastion game only.

:(

So if you bought it already you're out of luck? Laaaame.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm actually pretty disappointed with the combat. There's something about it that just doesn't feel sharp and snappy. Coming from Falcom Action RPGs (who admittedly, are the masters of visceral action RPG combat), this just doesn't compare.

Real shame, too. I really really like the art direction, but the combat just isn't my thing.

Atomski

Really enjoying this game. The story, atmosphere, music and controls are just great. I did start to think it was kind of easy but
my first visit to a temple fixed that problem :p.

LJ11

thetrin said:
I'm actually pretty disappointed with the combat. There's something about it that just doesn't feel sharp and snappy. Coming from Falcom Action RPGs (who admittedly, are the masters of visceral action RPG combat), this just doesn't compare.

Real shame, too. I really really like the art direction, but the combat just isn't my thing.

I got the same vibe from the demo, maybe it gets better but the demo wasn't doing it for me.

Amir0x

Banned
thetrin said:

I was thinking the game feels a bit too loose myself. It's enjoyable enough but not GREAT, is how I'd label it.

But everything else is notch so far. Not disappointed in purchase.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
LJ11 said:
I got the same vibe from the demo, maybe it gets better but the demo wasn't doing it for me.

The hammer and repeater thing you get are pretty standard. It gets better with the single shot weapons that you have to time properly, atleast to me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Amir0x said:
I was thinking the game feels a bit too loose myself. It's enjoyable enough but not GREAT, is how I'd label it.

But everything else is notch so far. Not disappointed in purchase.
I'll try the Steam version when that comes out. Playing the demo has pretty much just informed me that I can wait for the PC version.

bought immediately to support these kinds of games

not feeling it though so far, I really hope there are better and more satisfying melee weapons later on the starting hammer seems slow and boring to use, and near useless vs ranged attacks

love the art style though reminds me of the old ps2 colorful art RPG's

Tokubetsu said:
How do I shave time off my machete room time?

I did it in 59 seconds. Just barely. Go to the spawn point of the squirts and slash away until they stop coming. Then go to the 3 other spawn points, slashing stray squirts in your way. Then power up the throw for the cannons. Finally should be a few loose squirts that you have to hope are in good position for some thrown machetes.

zam

Finished the game, loved it, now for some New Game+

Also, does anyone know if the soundtrack is/will be available sometime? Loved the music in this game, especially the first song with lyrics you hear in the game, can't get it out of my head.

REV 09

zam said:
Finished the game, loved it, now for some New Game+

Also, does anyone know if the soundtrack is/will be available sometime? Loved the music in this game, especially the first song with lyrics you hear in the game, can't get it out of my head.
how long is it?

Tawpgun

If it was 800 I'd buy it.

But I want to buy it now... If I get the points... Insane Twisted Shadow Planet looks awesome also. From Dust is a day 1 for me too. Summer of Arcade looking good so far. Wish there was something better MP wise. Not a fan of Toy Soldiers. Not sure if anything will ever surpass BF 1943 and Monday Night Combat as XBLA multiplayer titles.

Fox Mulder

MarshMellow96 said:
I don't think I've seen this posted..

I know it's only The Maw, but I'll be damned if you US guys get all the cool shit on Live. And on PSN, too...

Buy Bastion, get The Maw free.

thanks for the heads up. I got this, but still waiting for any email from them. It shows that I bought it when I log in to the website, but I guess they're just slow as fuck with the codes.

AEREC

Papercuts said:
*Valid for Bastion game only.

:(

So if you bought it already you're out of luck? Laaaame.

But it also says:

Bonus: Get arcade game The Maw free with any Summer of Arcade purchase*

no angel

A27 Tawpgun said:
If it was 800 I'd buy it.

But I want to buy it now... If I get the points... Insane Twisted Shadow Planet looks awesome also. From Dust is a day 1 for me too. Summer of Arcade looking good so far. Wish there was something better MP wise. Not a fan of Toy Soldiers. Not sure if anything will ever surpass BF 1943 and Monday Night Combat as XBLA multiplayer titles.
Just buy it. It's entertaining and needs to be played so as to experience it's gorgeous narrative style.

MarshMellow96 said:

I'm a bit confused. If I buy this off the Microsoft Store, am I buying it for my computer or for the 360? Is it just going to give me a download code to put into my 360? (I know I look kind of dumb here.) But I don't have The Maw yet so I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting here before I put my credit card info in.

Vire

Just checked the sales thus far based on the leaderboard

Not bad for the first day! Let's keep it going guys, this game deserves it.

Incendiary said:
I'm a bit confused. If I buy this off the Microsoft Store, am I buying it for my computer or for the 360? Is it just going to give me a download code to put into my 360? (I know I look kind of dumb here.) But I don't have The Maw yet so I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting here before I put my credit card info in.
The Microsoft Store has been processing my order for over an hour now even though my card has already been charged. If you plan on playing the game right away you could be in for some disappointment.

It gives you a code after the order has been processed.

DaBuddaDa

Vire said:
Just checked the sales thus far based on the leaderboard

Not bad for the first day! Let's keep it going guys, this game deserves it.
I have a feeling this game is going to end up selling much better on Steam than it ever will on XBLA.

Schopenhauer said:
The Microsoft Store has been processing my order for over an hour now even though my card has already been charged. If you plan on playing the game right away you could be in for some disappointment.

It gives you a code after the order has been processed.

Ah, well I went ahead and bought it via Store since getting Maw too was too good a deal to pass on. I'm not particularly looking to play it right now since I've got stuff to do. Tonight I've basically been catching up on all my downloads anyway (Fallout DLC, LA Noire DLC, Mortal Kombat DLC) that I have been procrastinating on.

^ A customer service rep told me it would take around 4 hours. I did want to play it tonight, but I suppose tomorrow will be just as good. Or, at least that is what I will tell myself now that I am stuck with it.

Vire

DaBuddaDa said:
I have a feeling this game is going to end up selling much better on Steam than it ever will on XBLA.
Well it just sold another 3,000 copies in a hour. :)

Cool stuff.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Dislike most of the super hyped xbla games
Tomb Raider/Limbo/Braid/Shadow Complex

Still glad I bought this after I got a 20$ points card for 12$ last week. Have had alot of fun so far, and the narrator is much better than I expected it to be even after watching all the giantbomb coverage.

I don't think I'm buying anything else this summer except Toy soldiers.

I need help on one of the weapon challenges. I'll spoiler-tag it but its the 4th ranged weapon you get

how the hell do you get 750 on the dual pistol challenge? The most ive managed to get is 715. Every time I finish off one of the targets it also says -36 above its head. what does this mean?

Vire

LuchaShaq said:
Dislike most of the super hyped xbla games
Tomb Raider/Limbo/Braid/Shadow Complex

Still glad I bought this after I got a 20$ points card for 12$ last week. Have had alot of fun so far, and the narrator is much better than I expected it to be even after watching all the giantbomb coverage.

I don't think I'm buying anything else this summer except Toy soldiers.
Tomb Raider - Ok
Limbo - Sure
Braid - Fine..
Shadow Complex - ?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?111

Havok

Does anyone know what the (minor structure)
mailbox
is for? I don't think its been explained yet, feels like I missed something here.

Really impressed with the game so far.

Top Bottom