• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

So what difficulty level will you guys start with?

I am going with hard, now that the counter icons are included. Then from there New Game +

Lifejumper said:

I am going with hard, now that the counter icons are included. Then from there New Game +
Probably normal then hard for new game+, I don't want too much of a challenge my first time.

DrBo42

Lifejumper said:

They put the counter icons in hard difficulty? Why? That was part of what made that difficulty worth playing.

DrBo42 said:
They put the counter icons in hard difficulty? Why? That was part of what made that difficulty worth playing.

They won't be in New Game +

Also New Game + is a separate difficulty it will always be a step above hard.

BeeDog

There, preordered my copy of the game. I'm going in practically blind (thank God for other shit that distract me lately), so can't wait to dive in after Dark Souls!

RPGCrazied

I hope the PS3 version runs fine. What are the odds of it having no screen tearing? Specially when flying/gliding around Gotham.

Salsa

counter icons on hard? booooooooo-urns

why not just give me a separate option to disable them? i want to not have them from the get-go, not just for my second playthrough

Anybody know if the Walmart edition includes Arkham Asylum disc within the same case, as a sleeve, or simply the game in its original case?

vg260

Yenrot said:
I'm fairly sure they will be DLC after release sometime.

The question is how long. It took ridiculously long for all the premium edition DLC maps to come out for download.

Nori Chan

So is there any pre order skin for Best Buy besides Robin?

I know in the Robin one you get two skins for Robin, but is there anything for Batman?

Vire

Noriega said:
So is there any pre order skin for Best Buy besides Robin?

I know in the Robin one you get two skins for Robin, but is there anything for Batman?
Nope just Robin. It's probably the best pre-order bonus though since it's the most extra content besides Walmart's inclusion of Arkham Asylum.

GQman2121

Banned
SabinFigaro said:
Anybody know if the Walmart edition includes Arkham Asylum disc within the same case, as a sleeve, or simply the game in its original case?

The million dollar question that no one has the answer to. If I had to take a guess, I think Walmart might have special packaging and both games will be in the same case.

Vire

duffyside said:
... Guys? Special Batman exemption?
Read

Why do you care anyway? Mods seem okay with it.

Or are you that kid who tells the substitute teacher we already watched that video?

Plus we are running a community contest for a free copy of Arkham City! Now go write a poem.

Duffyside

Banned
Vire said:
Read

Why do you care anyway?

Plus we are running a contest for a free copy of Arkham City! Now go write a poem.
That doesn't answer the question of why this is still up. I care because I like NeoGAF and want to know the rules of the OTs, as I literally get excited when it's a week before a big game I care about and the OT is coming up. Should I change it to 2 weeks?

Thanks for the head's up, but I would rather buy a copy to support the developer. Yes, really.

jackdoe

So, this game will use pretty much no FMV? Cause that would be the only way for the alternate costumes to really make an impact.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
SabinFigaro said:
It looks like the band across it would wrap two cases together. Generally, any sticker I've seen for a single-case product there would just be a small one.

jackdoe

Vire said:
I doubt it. The skins are just fun little extras - I highly highly doubt they would change in cutscenes.
That would be a shame for two reasons. The DLC costume reason and the Bink video looking like absolute ass on the PC reason.

jackdoe

Hero_of_the_Day_1985 said:
What are you refering to here?
The Bink FMV cutscenes from Arkham Asylum looked awful as do all other Bink encoded FMV on the PC. I was hoping that since they were pushing DLC costumes that they put an end to that nonsense and used in-game cutscenes.

I have no clue what Bink is/means?

EDIT: Found it on google. I take it Arkham Asylum used this, and looked like shit on PC? Think I'm caught up now.

Vire

jackdoe said:
The Bink FMV cutscenes from Arkham Asylum looked awful as do all other Bink encoded FMV on the PC. I was hoping that since they were pushing DLC costumes that they put an end to that nonsense and used in-game cutscenes.
In game cutscenes can't render the crazy special effects and all sorts of other goodies without the framerate going to hell. So companies use FMV's to pre-render it to accomplish bigger spectacles. It's understandable and is much cheaper to produce.

The downside is that if these videos are heavily compressed to fit on a disc or constrain the size, then the cutscenes suffer.

In the grand scheme of things it's a fairly minor sacrifice for creating a 20 hour experience.

ReaperXL7

RPGCrazied said:
I hope the PS3 version runs fine. What are the odds of it having no screen tearing? Specially when flying/gliding around Gotham.

If I remember correctly AA was fine on PS3, so i'm not sure why this one would be much worse/ if it all. However i'm not really sensitive to stuff like tearing, or frame rates so I don't usually notice it as much as others unless it's completely in your face.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU-

My Arkham Asylum save file got corrupted. I blindly deleted the file before seeing if there was a way to fix it, but fuck it now. I bet it was GFWL's fault.

Vire

ReaperXL07 said:
If I remember correctly AA was fine on PS3, so i'm not sure why this one would be much worse/ if it all. However i'm not really sensitive to stuff like tearing, or frame rates so I don't usually notice it as much as others unless it's completely in your face.
Frame-rate/Screentearing was Rocksteady on both console platforms for Arkham Asylum. I highly doubt it would change much.

beastmode

I can't stand watching shitty pre-rendered cutscenes. I'd rather they be less "amazing" and be in-engine. Wish I had the balls to skip them first time through. :(

RPGCrazied

I got some screen tearing on AA, it was very slight, but it was there. But since this is more open worldish, there might be more.

Oozer3993

SabinFigaro said:

According to some one over on CAG, there are advertisements in Walmart stores that show it coming in a separate case.

GamesMaster (UK) 97%

Batman: Arkham City has received its first UK review. Gaming magazine GamesMaster have awarded the game with a very impressive 97% review score and claiming the game is a "must buy".

"'Brave, brutal, brilliant - the gold standard by which all future videogames should be judged'"
- GamesMaster

More coming soon...

source: http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5956

Mikeside

Loving the entries to the competition so far - there's still plenty of time, though, people!

Doesn't have to be a poetic masterpiece - a hilarious and stupid one is just as likely to win as a poignant epic masterpiece.

And seriously, I want to hear some dramatic readings - you're FAR more likely to be in my top 5 with a dramatic reading.

Top Bottom