• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman Friday Boxoffice Estimate: $82M

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bad WoM is from the hardcore comic fans i was listening to the normal fan and many people in my theater seem to like the movie and they clapped at the end.

Maximo

The Bad WoM is from the hardcore comic fans i was listening to the normal fan and many people in my theater seem to like the movie and they clapped at the end.

xVqkYsk.gif

TransTrender

Gold Member
Maybe I didn't notice before but they were showing 'previews' all day Thursday at the movie theater. Last I checked there would be one or two showings Thursday night one one screen but for this one they had multiple screens starting around 330PM going all the way to Midnight.
Always been this way?
New normal to frontload demand?
Numbers are skewed due to the amount of screens?

Peterthumpa

Exactly. Same with me. People are judging the movie based on Metacritic scores, I'm still not convinced that those really affect a movie performance that much.

Take the last Steve Jobs movie with Fassbender for example. Horribly bad at the BO, but considered an excellent movie by the critics.

Stop thinking that hardcore comic fans are the biggest chunk of the audience here people.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

I'm a normal fan (who read some comicbooks) and I didn't like it that much, it was an alright movie that could have been much better.

Why don't people accept that this movie has a mixed reception? Some people hate it, some just like it and some love it.

btw. my theater was really quite (and ~ 3/4 full) and some people got bored.

Trust me, they're are not that many hardcore comic fans. I was being generous and saying one in every ten wouldn't come back for a sequel. The hardcore detractors will see it regardless. Even then, this is the event. JL with this exact creative team will likely come under these numbers. Being 18 months away will not help it.

Exactly. Same with me. People are judging the movie based on Metacritic scores, I'm still not convinced that those really affect a movie performance that much.

Take the last Steve Jobs movie with Fassbender for example. Horribly bad at the BO, but considered an excellent movie by the critics.

Stop thinking that hardcore comic fans are the biggest chunk of the audience here people.

It doesn't really apply to the inverse. Great movies make bugger all at the box office all the time, but very rarely do "bad" movies make huge money, and even the exceptions like Transformers and Twilight have awful legs. They fold hard by the second weekend.

guek

Banned
I admire the ambition and I'm glad it exists despite the freaking often bad mess it is but it was certainly a mistake to pin the hopes of a franchise off of this.

Still I'm also freaking impressed that WB let him do this with the characters. Riskiest superhero movie since Ang Lee Hulk easily. Some of the themes were great and I at least unequivocally love the first 20 minutes.

I wonder if it isn't so much that WB approved of what he was doing and more that they let Snyder do whatever he wanted and were then forced to deal with the final result. I heard a story on NPR a few weeks ago about the production of Sucker Punch and how there were half a dozen drastically different cuts that were tested. The studio had final cut but couldn't figure out what to do with the movie Snyder shot. It's possible something similar happened here.

IconGrist

I wonder if it isn't so much that WB approved of what he was doing and more that they let Snyder do whatever he wanted and were then forced to deal with the final result. I heard a story on NPR a few weeks ago about the production of Sucker Punch and how there were half a dozen drastically different cuts that were tested. The studio had final cut but couldn't figure out what to do with the movie Snyder shot. It's possible something similar happened here.

Snyder also said a few months ago his version of Sucker Punch had heavy studio interference. His Director's Cut is finished and ready to go but WB hasn't let him release it.

kswiston

Snyder also said a few months ago his version of Sucker Punch had heavy studio interference. His Director's Cut is finished and ready to go but WB hasn't let him release it.

Probably because there's no money to be made releasing a director's cut of Sucker Punch.

They were probably trying their best to make it into a movie and not just a pile of trash on the floor

Probably because there's no money to be made releasing a director's cut of Sucker Punch.

They could recycle it!

It looks like the theater across the street from my house added an extra screen for BvS after selling out multiple shows last night. The movie seems to be doing really well in spite of reviews.

I really need to read up about the production of this movie. I've wondered since the first time I saw it if it started out as a musical. The end credit sequence sure made it seem that way.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Civil War is going to decimate Batman v. Superman's Box Office numbers, marks my words.

Dead

well not really...yet
The extended cut is on the blu-ray?

or is it something else?

I'd consider myself a, uh, "normal" fan I suppose. I started loving Batman since seeing TDK and have since read a handful of graphic novels. After watching the movie the left the theater confused and a bit mad. I'm not hardcore fan but the way they portrayed these characters not only betrayed their origins, but was just dumb imo. The story started somewhat strongly and then once we reached the middle of the film it went all over the place.

I respect that they wanted to throw in nods to fans such as the Knightmare scene and the cameos, but the way they presented these aspects left the majority of the audience confused, as was I. It was not an objectively good movie, imo.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I just hope it does well enough so DCCU can continue on it's current trajectory. I really liked BvS and the tone in particular of the DCCU. Every movie will not be directed by Snyder so there should be plenty of variety.

element

I don't think you know what decimate means. But going by this thread 150-175 million is disappointing opening weekend box office.
I think most people understand that it was going to do those numbers opening weekend no matter what. Just in marketing alone, it was going to get that many butts in the seats. It is the next two weekends that are really going to show financials for the film. How many people will see it multiple times? Is it good enough for fans to bring a general movie fan? Will it get the interest of the general movie fan to go? It wouldn't shock me if Zootopia has a higher weekend gross in two weekends.

I respect that they wanted to throw in nods to fans such as the Knightmare scene and the cameos, but the way they presented these aspects left the majority of the audience confused, as was I.
I put myself in that same boat. I've watched all the previous DC moves, various animated features, old animated series and comics years ago. But hearing DC fans geek out "how could you not know
it was Flash using the Speedforce to talk to Bruce? The Mother Box making Cyborg is so cool! Omega symbol in the team is a total nod to Darkseid. How can you call yourself a comic fan and not know this?

kswiston

Oh. OH! I never really thought about it, but looking at the word it absolutely make sense. Mind blown.

It just means destroy or devastate now.

The Romans used to punish groups of soldiers by killing 10% of them.

I think most people understand that it was going to do those numbers opening weekend no matter what. Just in marketing alone, it was going to get that many butts in the seats. It is the next two weekends that are really going to show financials for the film. How many people will see it multiple times? Is it good enough for fans to bring a general movie fan? Will it get the interest of the general movie fan to go? It wouldn't shock me if Zootopia has a higher weekend gross in two weekends.

I don't think there is any real chance of Zootopia topping BvS in 2 more weekends. Assuming $25M this weekend, and 20% drops for the next two weeks, Zootopia will be at $16M in its third weekend.

Even Amazing Spider-man 2 made more than that in its third weekend, and ASM 2 opened ~$70M lower than BvS will open.

Godzilla 2014 legs gives BvS a $22M third weekend off of $160M this weekend.

Bleepey

Link to the NPR piece?

Oh. OH! I never really thought about it, but looking at the word it absolutely make sense. Mind blown.

Really OT, but I remember reading that it comes from an old Roman army punishment against capital offenses. Commanding officer would come and literally kill off 10% of the unit.

kswiston

Really OT, but I remember reading that it comes from an old Roman army punishment against capital offenses. Commanding officer would come and literally kill off 10% of the unit.

Units were broken into groups of 10. Everyone in a group would draw lots. Whoever got the short stick (or whatever was used) was stoned to death by the other 9 in the group. The remaining soldiers got shittier rations for a period of time.

kmag

Civil War is going to decimate Batman v. Superman's Box Office numbers, marks my words.

Not box office wise, but in terms of the actual film, I worry that Civil War is going to have a number of the same problems as BvS, setting up a convoluted vs story, with 3rd party manipulation and introducing 'new' superpowered characters. Hell it's probably going to have the 3rd act cameo superhero pivotally changing the end fight.

Be interesting to see how they do it, it's a film which will be touching on some of the same themes and some similar plot points. Arguably Civil war's got a harder job has it has to break down a friendship instead of pitting two strangers against each other.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Not box office wise, but in terms of the actual film, I worry that Civil War is going to have a number of the same problems as BvS, setting up a convoluted vs story, with 3rd party manipulation and introducing 'new' superpowered characters. Hell it's probably going to have the 3rd act cameo superhero pivotally changing the end fight.

Be interesting to see how they do it, it's a film which will be touching on some of the same themes and some similar plot points. Arguably Civil war's got a harder job has it has to break down a friendship instead of pitting two strangers against each other.
I don't know how there is enough screen time for everyone. It will definitely be interesting to see how they execute it. It's Cap's movie so I assume he will have the largest part but you also have Iron Man who is MCUs bigget draw. Add to that the introduction of Black Panther and Spider-Man plus all the other dozen characters and I don't know how it will all come together. I'll be there opening weekend to find out though!

kswiston

I don't know how there is enough screen time for everyone.

It's a Cap movie, so I don't think they really need to give equal screen time to all of the Avengers characters.

I expect the Winter Soldier crew to be the focus, with Iron Man and probably Black Panther getting the most screen time on the other side. Ant-Man, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, etc will just be bit players. We already know Spider-man has a Wonder-Woman sized role or less.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/batman-v-superman-international-box-office-1201739893/

The Warner Bros. release has now tallied more than $137 million from 65 foreign markets across more than 30,000 screens. Friday saw the addition of 17 more markets, including China, the U.K. and Japan.

“Batman v Superman” is dominating the stateside box office as well, having picked up $82 million on its opening day. This brings the worldwide cumulative gross past $200 million. The film should end the weekend with a U.S. total around $170 million, despite less-than-stellar reviews. Some of the film’s actors are taking the film’s negative critical reception better than others.

Just got back from seeing it. I had some issues with it but its nowhere near as bad as reviews imply imo. The theatre I was in seemed to enjoy it as well

Verendus

Banned
I bet CW comes in under BvS opening weekend but better overall.
If this was just Captain America 3, then I'd say that's a given even with the current potential weekend gross, but Civil War has Iron Man front and center in its marketing. Iron Man last pulled off a $174 million opening weekend with Iron Man 3. It's not like he's gotten any weaker since then in terms of brand power. Everything would have to go wrong like it has for BvS, and that's not going to happen.

For Civil War to possibly fall short, BvS would have to pull off the near impossible with its Saturday and Sunday grosses to gets its potential gross north of $180 million. That's highly unlikely as it stands if you look at this weekend historically. Not to mention, the beating its taken in the reviews and the general social media awareness will have impacted those on the fence so we don't know the long-term impact yet either.

Civil War should be able to beat it in the opening weekend and long-term. If it hits peak potential in terms of marketing buzz, it'll probably do even better. This movie is Avengers without Hulk or Thor, but it has Spider-Man in their place. That's a trade in its favor if anything, especially since this is Spider-Man's introduction to this universe.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

I'm confused at where you are getting that from. Reviews are very low, The user reviews are around 70%, which isn't bad.

Even if we want to go personal experience. No one clapped in mine. And coming from someone who has read barely any comics in his entire life. I thought it sucked.

kswiston

Rth's early estimate for Saturday is between $49-53M.

Furious 7 did $46.6M on its first Saturday, so that range is fairly decent.

My guess would be $165M to $172M for the entire weekend based on that. WB might overpredict Sunday though to give themselves a better figure for the Monday paper.

Rth's early estimate for Saturday is between $49-53M.

Furious 7 did $46.6M on its first Saturday, so that range is fairly decent.

My guess would be $165M to $172M for the entire weekend based on that. WB might overpredict Sunday though to give themselves a better figure for the Monday paper.
Agreed with what you've said. If Sat is >$50M, we'll at least see WB estimate be $170M so they can claim a new company record.

kswiston

Agreed with what you've said. If Sat is >$50M, we'll at least see WB estimate be $170M so they can claim a new company record.

If Saturday hits that $53M higher end, I think the temptation will be there to go for an optimistic Sunday so that they can edge out Iron Man 3's $174.1M in the initial weekend reports.

Would they risk the potential blowback (which would likely be amplified considering the current atmosphere surrounding the film) for having overestimated returns solely to get 48 hours of people thinking "at least it beat Iron Man 3" though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom