• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One opens to $29M during Thursday previews shows in the US+Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I love how people still keep trying to convince themselves a year later TFA wasn't a mediocre remake of ANH.
I love how people keep trying to convince themselves that the majority of film critics were wrong and that general audiences are all wrong as well on the quality of a great film. It's hilarious to see really. "No no guys, YOU'RE ALL WRONG, the movie sucks, because I said so, on a forum."

DeathyBoy

Banned
I love how people keep trying to convince themselves that the majority of film critics were wrong and that general audiences are all wrong as well on the quality of a great film. It's hilarious to see really. "No no guys, YOU'RE ALL WRONG, the movie sucks, because I said so, on a forum."

No, but see ROTS was a better film because there was a light sabre fight that went on long time and it was so intense and choreographed and egmagerd Rey has a vagina and made Han look old.

Bronx-Man

Banned
A majority of film critics and general audiences loved Skyfall and Marvel movies but GAF still keeps the knives out of those. Nothing is sacred here in these walls.

Bronx-Man

Banned
No, but see ROTS was a better film because there was a light sabre fight that went on long time and it was so intense and choreographed and egmagerd Rey has a vagina and made Han look old.
I'm gonna let you in on a secret

it's possible to think that tfa is mediocre and all the prequels are dogshit

kswiston

I'll let you in on a secret, I think The Avengers is mediocre. But I don't start countless threads over it and call Black Widow a Mary Sue.

Black Widow would be the worst Mary Sue of all time. What did she even do in Age of Ultron?

I get your point

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'll let you in on a secret, I think The Avengers is mediocre. But I don't start countless threads over it and call Black Widow a Mary Sue.
I don't even think Rey is a mary sue, so if you wanna complain about that, go to Max Landis' dumbass and confront him about that.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
TFA was a great remake of ANH.

image.php

I love how people still keep trying to convince themselves a year later TFA wasn't a mediocre remake of ANH.

TFA is an enjoyable but highly derivative film. That is and always will be part of Abrams shtick. It was a fun, nostalgic trip back to Star Wars. It however does not hold a candle to any of the original three films but it is infinitely more watchable then the Prequels.

I only saw TFA once while it was in the theatres. I'll definitely see Rogue One at least once more.

TFA was a great remake of ANH.

It was a great 'remake' of the entire OT. All that material is pretty much used up now. And the slate is mostly clean? The FO is probably in pieces, the Republic definitely is, and the Resistance has like 8 X-Wings left and Leia's dumpy converted B-Wing.

Agreed. Just got back, it's a good SW movie, very good, but not close to TFA

RO seems inferior to me in every way - acting, characters, CGI, budget, dialogue - in every major area TFA has it beat yet there is this growing tide of people claiming RO is the better film. People, watch TFA again after watching RO.

You must've seen the cut without 15 minutes of those goofy-ass Rhatars and the First Order building something other a 3rd goddamn death star.

The Rhatars were goofy, but the point of the scene was to show Han was still in the game. Plus Rey and Film's excitement at surviving that whole scene was great.

I don't fault Death Star #3, because why not? No one's bothering you and their first strike destroyed five goddamn planets in one shot. Much better than a Death Star. Is your problem that they built another superweapon?

Seriously, if we're talking about 10 minutes bringing down a 2 hour, 15 minute film, then we should be all over RO's rogue opening acts and missed characterization opportunities. Of course, I'm not the one making that argument.

RO seems inferior to me in every way - acting, characters, CGI, budget, dialogue - in every major area TFA has it beat yet there is this growing tide of people claiming RO is the better film. People, watch TFA again after watching RO.

Watched it before RO and after RO and still think RO is better.

Sanjuro

The charisma and performance from the leads in Force Awakens already pushed the needle farther for me in direct comparison.

The best performance in Rogue One is from a droid, then there is a steep drop off.

Watched it before RO and after RO and still think RO is better.

They're very different films. They do different things well and has different aims. TFA was meant to bring back Star Wars for a mainstream audience. RO is meant to show how flexible the concept and universe is.

I think they both succeed and which one you enjoy depends on what you want out of Star Wars.

Edit: as an example
The charisma and performance from the leads in Force Awakens already pushed the needle farther for me in direct comparison.

The best performance in Rogue One is from a droid, then there is a steep drop off.

TFA creates a strong emotional connection to the involved characters. RO is more about their mission and the overall meaning of that sacrifice. TFA is about Rey and Finn. RO is about the Rebellion and its third act tension is seeing everyone pitch in against overwhelming odds.

They're very different films. They do different things well and has different aims. TFA was meant to bring back Star Wars for a mainstream audience. RO is meant to show how flexible the concept and universe is.

I think they both succeed and which one you enjoy depends on what you want out of Star Wars.

Oh I agree. I completely understand what TFA had to do for Lucasfilm and the franchise and I thought it worked out really well. But I enjoy this time period in Star Wars and it felt inherently different than anything I've seen in the franchise, and unlike the prequels it was a good different.

I think that TFA did have the better leads, but they also had the knowledge they had more movies with the cast. The characters in this film felt like soldiers to me, a single goal and insurmountable odds that didn't need to have a ton of focus thrust upon them, unlike Rey.

Oh I agree. I completely understand what TFA had to do for Lucasfilm and the franchise and I thought it worked out really well. But I enjoy this time period in Star Wars and it felt inherently different than anything I've seen in the franchise, and unlike the prequels it was a good different.

I think that TFA did have the better leads, but they also had the knowledge they had more movies with the cast. The characters in this film felt like soldiers to me, a single goal and insurmountable odds that didn't need to have a ton of focus thrust upon them, unlike Rey.

Pretty much, as I said in my edit. I don't fault those that preferred one to the other. I think RO has one if the strongest third acts on the franchise.

To use an Extended Universe example, some prefer the Rogue Squadron books to something like Traitor or the rest of the New Jedi Order. Different story types.

Sanjuro

TFA creates a strong emotional connection to the involved characters. RO is more about their mission and the overall meaning of that sacrifice. TFA is about Rey and Finn. RO is about the Rebellion and its third act tension is seeing everyone pitch in against overwhelming odds.

That difference in narrative is set up perfectly to learn more about these characters through foxhole driven dialog. Leaving the film, I learned practically nothing interesting about these new characters, even when I wasn't anticipating the same level of attachment to the viewer. I needed to care about someone. This film just didn't set out to accomplish that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom