• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleblock Theater |OT| An engrossing tale of friendship, betrayal and some cats.

bannerjbi.jpg

Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios
Developer: The Behemoth (The creators of Castle Crashers and Alien Hominid)
Platform: Xbox 360
Genre: Platformer
Players: 1-4 (Local and online)
ESRB: Teen
Price: 1200 MSP
Release Date: April 3, 2013

The Story: Having shipwrecked on a mysterious island you find yourself and all of your friends both betrayed by your all-around bestest friend Hatty Hattington and captured by the locals (a bunch of deranged cats) who force you into deadly performances in their theater.

This however, is just the beginning of your problems...

battleblocktheater222.jpg

Multiplayer Arena Modes:

The arena modes of BattleBlock Theater can be played by up to four people playing in separate teams.

Grab the Gold - Each team must collect gold periodically released by a golden whale flying around the stage and then deposit it inside a safe which is also floating freely somewhere in the stage. Successfully banked gold become points for the team. If a player dies, all gold gathered will fall out of that player, giving the other players a chance to steal them away.
Soul - Players try to kill members of the opposite team. Once a player dies, their soul comes out and can be held onto by the other team. A team's score constantly increases as long as they holds the soul of their opponents. The more souls held, the faster the score increases.
Color the World - This mode has the players try to touch every single gray block in the level. When a player touches a block, it begins to blink that team's color and eventually solidifies. If the opposing team touches the block before the color solidifies they have a chance to steal it, but solid colored blocks cannot be stolen. Occasionally, the game will reset the color of various platforms, giving the losing team a chance to come back. Final score is determined by number of blocks each team has in their color.
Ball Game - Players grab, pass, and dunk a soccer ball into the opposing team's net to win. The more you pass, the more points you earn for scoring a goal.
King of the Hill - A traditional mode where players standing on designated golden blocks to increase the team's score. The more team members standing on the blocks, the faster the score increases. Players must use weapons and attacks to remove opposing team members from the golden blocks.
Horse - The players must ride their horse into their stables to score points. All the while, players may also steal their opponent's horse to lead them astray.
Muckle - Earn points by beating up your opponents senseless. Use your weapons, throw them into hazards, or even rely on your own two fists to score the most points before time runs out.
Challenge - In this time attack mode, players race through a stage to see how fast they can clear it, or more accurately how much faster they can clear it than others. Work alone or with others to try and achieve the best time.

Videos:

Tutorials:

Reviews

Metro GameCentral 90
Official Xbox Magazine 90
EGM 90
Destructoid 90
GamesRadar 90
Official Xbox Magazine 90
Polygon 85

hattymasku.png
catguardmasku.png
catguardoutfitm.png

popyea

lmao, the trailer is great. Advertises the level editor with "If you hate our stuff, shut up and do better."

Anyone have free xbox live trials they're willing to be rid of?

And is the game out now, just hit midnight here. Will have to rehook up the 360.

Spierek

Wow, this game is actually coming out? I completely forgot about it after all of those release pushes.

Those gifs are kinda adorable.

I've been wanting this game for years. Years! But I don't really have the excess money right now.....I shouldn't buy it, I shouldn't buy it, I shouldn't buy it.

I'm going to buy it.

Oublieux

Do want. But didn't they say they were trying to push for a PC release too? Or did that fall through...?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Interested in this game, but it looks very multiplayer oriented, can you play with bots or by yourself?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
OMG THEY ADDED 4 PLAYER LOCAL?

WAT WAT WAT

I was already gonna buy it but now it's looking that much sweeter.

EDIT: Great OP BTW. Is co-op still only 2 players or does it go up to 4?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Thanks, I saw the launch trailer on the Xbox and it looked quite interesting, will definitely check this out tomorrow.

Teknoman

I've been Behemoth day one on everything else...I just hope the online problems Crashers had, dont plague BB theater. Castle Crashers could have been SO much more if online 4p co-op worked month 1.

Stoze

I've been looking forward to this for quite a while. I adored Castle Crashers and Alien Hominid, so I trust The Behemoth with my money at this point. I must say though it's kinda surprising to see this game come out completely under the radar, considering how popular and well known Castle Crashers is. I guess that's what happens when development takes so long though. Hopefully with incoming impressions and reviews combined with XBL dashboard promos this game will get some hype.

Has THE BEST secret zone music in a game EVER!
Was laughing my head off at it, Stamper/Behemoth are some very funny dudes.

C4Lukins

Downloading now. Add c4lukin as a friend if anyone wants to try multiplayer, but I probably will not be able to play until tomorrow.

Reminds me how much I hate Microsoft's barbaric points system. Had to add 800, and then 400 and got taxed both times >_>

Excited to play this though, although I won't be able to play online for a bit.

atomsk

Party Pooper
how the fuck does an XBLA game not have a trial version? I thought that was a mandate. This is the first time I can remember ever not seeing it

Chairhome

Reminds me how much I hate Microsoft's barbaric points system. Had to add 800, and then 400 and got taxed both times >_>

Excited to play this though, although I won't be able to play online for a bit.

It would be the same amount of tax if you bought them together...
but it does suck that you have to do two transactions.

how the fuck does an XBLA game not have a trial version? I thought that was a mandate. This is the first time I can remember ever not seeing it

Sometimes in arrives a bit late (a few hours). I've seen it recently in i-don't-remember-the-game.

Rlan

Get get the feeling the guys at Behemoth basically had the urge of "Man, I just really want to make some sweet platform levels" for Battleblock Theater. I got an early code and enjoy it a lot! So many different block types. You can clearly see these guys had a fuckton of fun making these crazy-ass levels.

TimmiT

Downloading it now, can't wait to play it. It's too bad that it took so long for them to release it, I think a lot of the hype has died down since it was announced. I'd be surprised if this sells even nearly as well as Castle Crashers did.

ShogunX

Really want to pick both this and Terraria up in the next few days. Problem is I have a shit load of stuff to play already.

Hopefully if a trial appears later on it will convince me to pick this up.

It would be the same amount of tax if you bought them together...
but it does suck that you have to do two transactions.

You're totally right, I was confusing it with paypal's send money gifting charge. Totally unrelated but I'm tired so please excuse that.

Sanjuro

Played this game the last few years at PAX. Only two games in so far, but this game is brilliantly fun.

EDIT: A trial wouldn't do this game justice unless you have three offline friends to go. Online multiplayer is where it's at.

Zia

Looking forward to watching some streams as I don't have gold. Who is doing the music?

I'm not sure if any established artists are in the game, but I know that they held a contest on Newgrounds where winners got their tracks in the game. What I heard was really good (kitty rap!).

I really, really like this game, and this is coming from someone that doesn't like Castle Crashers or the Dan Paladin/Edmund McMillen Newgrounds-bred aesthetic or humor.

Top Bottom