• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleblock Theater |OT| An engrossing tale of friendship, betrayal and some cats.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is it really hard to see what took them years for this game? 450 stages and 300 character-heads don't make it obvious from the get-go?

All the cute lttle battle animations, Co-Op actions, detailed hub areas, multiplayer match types, and the level editor don't sway the perception just a bit?

I just played the trial today (Expect to buy tomorrow), but I could see this sitting alongside Spelunky as a fantastic Couch Co-Op XBLA Experience. I love how The Behemoth can make a game like this, but actually have characters that DO things; It's one of the things I dislike most about games like N+, Super Meat Boy, or Braid; the characters have memorable base deigns, and are iconic for their games, but they don't DO anything.

These little guys here are full of emotion; even looking through the XBLA screenshots shows a wide variety of expressions and reactions to their surroundings. The Behemoth is masterful at making even the most mundane, "Line and 2 Dots" faces look like there is some personality behind their stares.

It's something you rarely see from Smaller developers (who are just happy to get everything working in the game in the first place!), and calls back to the old Arcade era (where the most insignificant characters still had theme music, memorable death / extra life motions, and at least 1 unique, memorable gameplay mechanic.)

While this isn't a BEU like C-Crashers, I can say The Behemoth delivered very well in one way to me, from the very start: They made a game that is stupid-full of content! I loved that about CC; So many Characters, so many unique stages, Weapons, Pet Familiars, memorable battles... it's one of their trademarks at this point.

I look forward to getting into the game, and seeing how everything else works out!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think I was hyped for this about 2 years ago. What took so long?
IIRC, there was a point where they had a working game that they could have polished up and shipped, but they didn't like how it played. So they overhauled it into what we have today. It's been playable at PAX events for almost 3 years, so the development time is probably closer to 5.

TripOpt55

I like it, but am not blown away or anything. Not as good as Castle Crashers at the moment, but that isn't exactly an easy feat to match. And I've only played it singleplayer. This game will really be tested when I have a friends over for some local multiplayer. Pretty fun though. Lots of funny character designs. Tight platforming. Some tricky to get gems. Glad I bought it. I am somewhere in Chapter 3.

Is the game like the PDA mini game in Alien Hominid? Because me and my friends played the shit outta that, one of the funniest 4 player couch experiences I've had

So I downloaded this and played it for a few hours. It's super fun. I played solo for a little while, and while it's a neat little platformer I could tell it's really going to shine in multiplayer. So I hopped online for some random multiplayer matches and ended up in an arena game and then doing some of the campaign with a random stranger. The arena game was fun, and it's especially fun going into the shop and just tossing all your shit around at everybody. Me and the random guy that was on my team got the other two guys stuck in a spawn loop where they kept dying and spawning in between us as we killed them.

This is definitely one of those games where fucking with your friends is just as much fun as the actual game itself.

My gamertag is in my profile, for anybody interested I'll probably be around playing this a lot the next few days at the very least. This is a really great time-waster game to play for a while after the heavy Bioshock Infinite.

I played this yesterday and thought it was alright, but not something special. I think it would be fun with friends but that's just because all games are fun with friends. I'll probably check it out when it's like 5 bucks someday.

legbone

Seriously, I haven't loved a narrator in a game this much since Bastion.

yeah, the narrator is excellent. music is out of this world. i'm glad they let the music play when you are paused. also i love that you can change the way your character looks on the fly. i went from my little yellow square headed friend to a little brown monkey with hand grenades. this game is just plain fun.

Never heard of this but love Castle Crashers so I'm willing to give it ago. From the trailers I'm guessing it's a puzzle/platformer.

Haven't bought it yet, but based on the beta, it's the perfect co-op game to play with a unskilled companion. You can go at your own pace, don't run out of lives, and can skip most of the gems and still beat the level. One of the few non-mobile games that caught the attention of my decidedly "casual" wife.

Don't get why so many complain that it took so long. Isn't their team super small? That's how you get something good without killing or bankrupting yourselves.

Beckx

Man, the Behemoth's playlist is vicious. Really shows off what's possible in the editor & how well the game controls. Kind of reminded me of playing Aben Hawkins and the 1000 Spikes - I finished the first level, celebrated, took a look at the next and started crying.

BTW: I could see someone who only plays solo, or plays lone wolf online, not getting as much enjoyment from the game. It's one of those games that generates so much laughter and lunacy when playing with friends that it probably loses something playing alone. That said, the challenge levels that are possible & the tight controls mean there's something on offer for the solo player.

Honestly was always curious about this game, but never considered purchasing it very strongly. Bought it. These guys make much better platformers than beat 'em ups (I found CC boring) and BBT is great. Not sure about the price point, since $15 feels steep for what I'm playing, but I'm not all that far in yet.

Man I'm loving this game, it's so fun. I love the "Capture The Horse" and "Soul" multiplayer game types.
I do wish this game was available on other platforms though (like PSN), so more people could experience it.

Is it really hard to see what took them years for this game? 450 stages and 300 character-heads don't make it obvious from the get-go?

All the cute lttle battle animations, Co-Op actions, detailed hub areas, multiplayer match types, and the level editor don't sway the perception just a bit?

I just played the trial today (Expect to buy tomorrow), but I could see this sitting alongside Spelunky as a fantastic Couch Co-Op XBLA Experience. I love how The Behemoth can make a game like this, but actually have characters that DO things; It's one of the things I dislike most about games like N+, Super Meat Boy, or Braid; the characters have memorable base deigns, and are iconic for their games, but they don't DO anything.

These little guys here are full of emotion; even looking through the XBLA screenshots shows a wide variety of expressions and reactions to their surroundings. The Behemoth is masterful at making even the most mundane, "Line and 2 Dots" faces look like there is some personality behind their stares.

It's something you rarely see from Smaller developers (who are just happy to get everything working in the game in the first place!), and calls back to the old Arcade era (where the most insignificant characters still had theme music, memorable death / extra life motions, and at least 1 unique, memorable gameplay mechanic.)

While this isn't a BEU like C-Crashers, I can say The Behemoth delivered very well in one way to me, from the very start: They made a game that is stupid-full of content! I loved that about CC; So many Characters, so many unique stages, Weapons, Pet Familiars, memorable battles... it's one of their trademarks at this point.

I look forward to getting into the game, and seeing how everything else works out!

Great post.

Really like this, had no idea there was such a lengthy (I believe) single-player campaign, thought it was pretty much all MP. I'm impressed.

Has some totally dumb issues like no controller-deadzone which does my fucking head in and I can't believe so many professional game developers overlook something so simple, but I'm enjoying it in spite of that, because death isn't usually too bad, yet anyway.

Is there some way to see which levels you've collected the yarn in? It seems to be a one-per-level thing so it's weird that if you don't keep track you'll have no idea where to go looking for the ones you've missed. Unless I haven't noticed something obvious.

Good game.

Beckx

Has some totally dumb issues like no controller-deadzone which does my fucking head in and I can't believe so many professional game developers overlook something so simple, but I'm enjoying it in spite of that, because death isn't usually too bad, yet anyway.

I think it's really set up to be d-pad controlled. It's divine on a stick.

pswii60

Holy shit this game is awesome and incredibly substantial for a downloadable game too!

YouTube vids don't do this game justice, silky smooth 60fps with great IQ. Looks and feels great to play.

waypoetic

Banned
So they release Castle Crashers on PS3 and when they release their next game they go back to being Xbox exclusive. Mmm-hm.

So they release Castle Crashers on PS3 and when they release their next game they go back to being Xbox exclusive. Mmm-hm.

Well Castle Crashers released first on Xbox and later on the PS3, this is probably a similar deal. Keep in mind Sony denied Castle Crashers at first because they didn't want flash like games on their system. This was pre pro-Indie Sony.

ekim

Finished the first chapter (alone) - how is the coop for the campaign changing the gameplay? Are there special coop levels?

Really like what I played so far. Hilarious narrator and intro. :)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Finished the first chapter (alone) - how is the coop for the campaign changing the gameplay? Are there special coop levels?

I think all the co-op levels are different from the solo levels. Not sure if they're just modified for co-op, rather than all-new, but they are different IIRC.

So far it seems like all the levels get modified for co-op. So a lot of the jumps are lengthened to require a team mate, they add in basic switch puzzles that require other players and things like that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone want to trade hats right now?

This game is so extremely polished, goddamn.

EDIT: OH FUCK I ACCIDENTALLY TRADED AWAY MY ALIEN HOMINID HAT. WTF I THOUGHT BOTH PARTIES KEPT WHAT THEY TRADED WTF WTF

Con_Smith

Banned
I'm really kind of addicted to this game right now. Had some fun in co op earlier and I enjoy their game types for team multiplayer games. Story kinda has this weird Adventure Time feel where everything is super cute yet super fucked up. Shame BBT isn't getting much attention.

Mr. Robot

Fuck me! i don't have a 360 anymore and the only reason i was holding on it for 2 years was for this game to release, with all the delays i deceided to just sell it...

I hope that a PC or Wii-U version gets announced sooner or later, with Castle Crashers on Steam and Nintendos friendly stance to indie companies this has to happen... right?... anyway, for you lucky 360 owners, The Behemoth games are a blast for local multiplayer, if you are in the need of a game like that, get this.

<--- Also, i really liked this guy since the game was first announced.

RaginRoss

Anyone had a chance to do much local 4 player? Got some friends coming round at the weekend and this looks like it'd be a good fit alongside old favourites like Bomberman and Worms.

Beckx

Do you guys think if I reset my save file ill get alien hominid back? :(

I think it's saved to profile. :(

I'd be happy to trade you one, though. We're getting AH in my house this weekend, so I can always trade another back to my tag from my wife's account.

Anyone had a chance to do much local 4 player? Got some friends coming round at the weekend and this looks like it'd be a good fit alongside old favourites like Bomberman and Worms.

Yes. It's just as good as you think.

Does anyone know if this is a timed exckusive?

Given the Microsoft Studios logo on it, I think it's going to be a long time before it's on PSN. :/

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
As in, the release came out of nowhere, who knew it was coming out in April?

Not me. I just learned today it was out, but then I haven't switched my 360 on since June.

Man, this game took way too long that I think some people would've forgotten about it.

Does anyone know if this is a timed exckusive?

Man, I gotta say that this is one of finest platformers I've ever played. Certainly, if you've ever liked or loved the World of Illusion, Sega's 16-bit co-op Disney platformer, you will love this game. What a great co-op game! Single player is also great, but I'm more interested in finishing the co-op campaign.

Polished, extremely well made when it comes to interface and flow from level to level with a nice auto-transition from stage to stage that spares players the traditional annoyance of pressing a button to proceed from one event window informing you of your score or collectible count to another and into the next area seamlessly, allowing you to replay a level by pressing a button during the automatic flow of info. Decisions, like the focus on conveying everything through the immediacy of quick animated visuals and/or the narrator dynamically piping in to get you moving, is nicely done. Simple things, like informing you at the start of each area that you're supposed to collect a number of gems without text or putting signposts with a some icon depicting what you should be doing to help learn the mechanics for each situation... these things keep the focus on the game itself. And the decision to allow for what feels like limitless zooming/scaling to accommodate players quite some distance from each other helps. Nice IQ, too, with no real jaggies and a nice refined line art look that seems trademark for these guys now. The soundtrack...holy shit, great stuff! None of the above is new, by itself, but all very well done and all contained in one package. If this is the result of years of an extended incubation period that allowed for crazy amounts of preening and careful consideration, then this is what ought to happen more often.

Didn't care that much about you before, Behemoth, but now I do.

Minyobi

Well I'll be damned. This actually came out!?
I was starting to think that the game was made exclusively for their Comic-Con booth.
Now I have to spend money.

Hopefully with incoming impressions and reviews combined with XBL dashboard promos this game will get some hype.

I think that sales of these smaller downloadable games are really going to suffer on PSN and XBL as we head toward the new consoles. People are generally kind of done with the current gen, there is little to no marketing, AAA backlogs are huge at this point, and the lack of BC also plays a factor. I'd hate to be releasing my small studio game now on any of the 3 console services at this point if you're not Minecraft.

If you could also port up this fall and be part of the first wave of downloadable titles on the new consoles it would be ideal, I think.

Stoze

Man, this is really, really fun.

I pretty much flew by the first two chapters, it was good but I was worried it wasn't going to pick up. Starting with chapter 3 though, things got a tad bit trickier, and they started using the game objects in really clever ways. I just finished chapter 4, and the smart level design seems to just keep snowballing. The controls are pretty tight and fluid, the game controls really well even on Xbox's shitty d-pad. You'd be surprised how interesting things get even though you have a static speed of running and a static height of your first jump. The different kinds of blocks really change up movement and momentum.

So far I'm just playing through the campaign solo, and the only thing that has really bugged me is how unintuitive the information about what I've collected is. If you stand under level doors, it shows what your best grade is on that level. You can miss a gem or a yarn and still get an A, so it's only if you get an A++ that you know you've truly gotten everything. What's even more unconventional is the bar gauge outside the chapter doors, in which one color indicates the levels you've beaten and the other colored bar indicates the levels that you've beat the time trial on. There's also half-bars in another color that show what levels you haven't got the secret on...I think. You actually have to count the bars to figure out what levels they are too, it's kinda stupid.

I played some online multiplayer arena, and it was a blast. I was cracking up at a basketball game where everyone kept missing when they went to spike the ball in, and beside the net there was a well placed fan that sent it flying to the other side when players missed. The fighting moves are kinda finicky, but they do work once you get used to them. I would say the modes that were pretty lame are king of the hill and deathmatch. These game types kind of force everyone near each other and it becomes too much of a clusterfuck, especially on smaller levels. All the other modes I played were really damn fun, I played basketball and soul-catcher (or whatever it's called) the most.

I only played arena for a couple hours, but here's some weird things I've noticed: What the hell determines MVP? I played a playlist where it was me versus 2 others, and I just so happened to win all three matches, but I think I only got MVP once. In deathmatch, grenade kills give you 20 points where as everything else only seemed to give 10. Not sure why this is. Also, I tried picking which specific game modes I wanted to play in both Ranked and Player matches, yet I could never find games. I just kept hitting quick-match to play. Lastly, it needs host-migration. I should also mention the games I played were lag free except for one, and input felt spot on.

So far it's great, it just has some weird issues that I'm surprised weren't fixed in beta, as I'm sure a lot of people have noticed these things. I briefly played some of the encore levels, and they seem significantly harder than the regular levels. There's also the insane mode you can play where you don't get checkpoints, so more challenge is there for those who want it.

Top Bottom