• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleblock Theater |OT| An engrossing tale of friendship, betrayal and some cats.

EagleEyes

I'm really enjoying this so far. The controls are spot on for a platformer and all the different blocks really make you think in each level how to get all the gems. <3 the Behemoth.

Enjoying the game so far although only doing the single player. Isn't what I expected but there are some real mind benders.

Although the game is super cute, the narration and story is almost unbearably twee. Narrator needs to just stop talking.

Beckx

Yay! Happy release day Behemoth!

Super cool group of people with one of the best booths at PAX East this year.

I freaking love that when you launch the game it goes into attract mode rather than a static menu. More games need to have attract modes.

And the narrator is awesome. Warning: YMMV.

Wow, this game is actually coming out? I completely forgot about it after all of those release pushes.

Those gifs are kinda adorable.

Adorable? :p

Suicide button
ieyadHqbYKutp.gif

Just don't go suicidal near others.
iQogAnSwGxYL.gif

Super adorable crouching
iC8W0qVu4Kaom.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just a note:

I don't own Alien Hominid, but played it once at a friend's place to get the single achievement I needed for Castle Crashers, and it gave me the head right off the bat at the press any button to start screen. I just waited there and it gave me hats for CC and Alien Hominid. Schweet.

Just a note:

I don't own Alien Hominid, but played it once at a friend's place to get the single achievement I needed for Castle Crashers, and it gave me the head right off the bat at the press any button to start screen. I just waited there and it gave me hats for CC and Alien Hominid. Schweet.
Pretty awesome, indeed! The unlocks, according to The Behemoth, are based solely upon achievements.

Sanjuro

People are upset about the narration, yet they'll play a game where Mario / Link goes YAHH YIPPP HARAHHH a billion times.

Beckx

People are upset about the narration, yet they'll play a game where Mario / Link goes YAHH YIPPP HARAHHH a billion times.

"People" is a small group right now. It may not be to everyone's tastes. I think it's hilarious. My son and I were dying listening to the launch trailer last night. "Rated T for blued, vee-oh-lents, and crud hue-more. Crud hue-more, is that like french or something?" But there's no accounting for taste, after all.

--------

Behemoth is doing an IAmA right now.

I played it for like 3 hours this afternoon, single player and co-op arena with my brother and yes, it's FUUUN!
Single player is quite challenging but it's in his multiplayer component that this game gives his best, imo.

Con_Smith

Banned
Kinda dig this game. Nice music and fun interesting levels. Doubt anyone I know will pick this up so I'll be checking this thread for co-op games.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Please someone tell me the full game is much better than the closed beta. The beta didn't impress me at all, I still prefer Castle Crashers.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Played the first chapter or so. Brief thoughts:

- Lots of content. Lots. Tons of hidden gems, and lots of levels too.
- Lots of replayability. Chances are you're not going to find every gem and hit the par time on everything the first time through. I do wish when you hover over a level they showed you what you're missing from that level though.
- Level editor is.. Not the most intuitive. For starters, it looks like I can't individually colour blocks? They just have to be either the primary or secondary colour that's there for the entire level? A lot of stuff you can tweak though. I'm not getting a good vibe from it at all. Also, the left joystick isn't really good at navigating the menus.
- What appears to sub-optimal sharing options. Don't think you can even search for individual levels, only playlists, and I wish we could play individual levels.
- Platforming mechanics are super tight. Takes a while to get used to how the grid works and the perspective for the more pixel perfect jumps and positioning, but overall it's fantastic.
- LOVE LOVE LOVE the unlock system.
- Impressive level design, a lot of stuff hidden behind fake blocks but there are *usually* cues to tip you off to that.
- The announcer is hilarious. Love the dialogue.
- Art and music are great too. Art is especially impressive coming from Castle Crashers. You can see the evolution in their style and the greater amount of detail they've put into it.

I can see myself putting a lot of time into this game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm collecting all square heads first in case anyone wants to trade in the future.

Wonder what most of the gold heads are. Probably references to other indie games within there? Alien Hominid and Castle Crashers heads fall into that category.

Beckx

I'm collecting all square heads first in case anyone wants to trade in the future.

Wonder what most of the gold heads are. Probably references to other indie games within there? Alien Hominid and Castle Crashers heads fall into that category.

Wait, there's trading? SWEET. I'll be going for circles, all of my favorites from PAX were in that category. Since I've got kids who will be playing, I should get access to a lot of heads fast, heh. How does trading work?

Glad they got the demo sorted before the prime time period.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

official wiki. (not much there yet.)

Sanjuro

The quitting of games by the host is going to ruin this game.

- Get three straight wins.
- Ton of gems to spend.
/host quits as a fuck you.

Salsa

game seems like a fun mess that could easily become just a mess

I barely played any of it at a friend's and it already sold me on it if it ever comes to the PC, but in it's current state it still falls below what i'd expect out The Behemot, having loved both Alien Hominid and Castle Crashers

t's alright. Need to play more of it, but so far it hasnt met my expectations (wich, to be fair, was huge considering the time gap)

Got to put two hours into it (one hour solo, one hour co-op):

- Fantastic atmosphere. Behemoth really knows how to make dying funny/cute.
- Co-op is my preferred mode of play. Playing solo let me beat levels faster but the chaos of co-op is a total blast. Screwing over your partner by accident then they decide to get you back and all the while you are fighting to get gems. Normally you would get pissed off but the death penalty is low low that it is just pure fun.
- Tight controls and feel
- The secret levels probably have the best music I have ever heard....I just couldn't believe it was happening. Also, the announcer when you first enter a secret level.
- Platforming was pretty easy but maybe it will get harder? It is definitely a more relaxed platformer than Super Meatboy with all of the checkpoints.

Vire

Color me disappointed.

The game just isn't very fun, it doesn't feel like it takes much skill to multiplayer and instead just comes off across as a hot mess that gets frustrating after a round or two.

This is really what they've been working on for so long?...

GhaleonEB

I played the demo a bit. And by "a bit" I mean I went to the shop, got bounced to the second level of it, and then spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get down from the second level of the shop. I quit out having not figured it out.

How do you get down?

I played the demo a bit. And by "a bit" I mean I went to the shop, got bounced to the second level of it, and then spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get down from the second level of the shop. I quit out having not figured it out.

How do you get down?

Touch the teleporter where you came from.

Or just hold down the Y button to kill yourself and spawn at the entrance.

Elixist

Color me disappointed.

The game just isn't very fun, it doesn't feel like it takes much skill to multiplayer and instead just comes off across as a hot mess that gets frustrating after a round or two.

This is really what they've been working on for so long?...

ya was lookin forward to this, but the gb quicklook made it look boring . just kept thinking theyve been working on this for 4 years? with level editors and watnot never know what the community can do with it tho. might grab it on a sale or somethin.

Top Bottom