• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn Open Beta thread: April 8 (PS4)/ April 13 (PC/XB1) - April 18

mcrommert

Banned
The thing is, just slapping 60fps into games, wont be enough. The other big point is the aiming mechanics.

Play something like Battlefield 4 and Battlefront and then go to DOOM or Halo 5. The aiming in the last two games feels sluggish and unresponsive by contrast to the first two where it feels so crisp and VERY responsive.

A lot of games, sure adapt to 60fps, but when the aiming just plain sucks and annoys, i couldnt care less about 60fps...

I really hope Overwatch hasnt the same issues with the aiming mechanics.

What? I mean seriously...what?

Jolkien

That looked pretty fantastic, thanks. Well, I only have room for one of these games, so I might as well play the beta for Overwatch on the Xbox One before making a decision. Different games, sure, but the campaign resonated way more for me in Battleborn than the PvP, so I need to decide whether I need another campaign game in my collection. I know that I need a new PvP.

Has anyone played Overwatch? Is it fairly easy to jump into?

I played on PC. It's the standard Blizzard game, extremely easy to go into. Quite a bit of a skill ceiling to master the game but pretty much anybody can pick it up and start playing.

mrqs

The very small FOV in this game and the slow motions made me really dizzy, actually. Funny that it seems like a Gearbox game gameplay wise, wich i honest don't like that much. They can do really cool concepts but the gameplay in general never felt good enought for me to have fun by itself.

The artwork is what bothers me the most, it seems so divided. They tried to blend cartoony stuff in the background with cartoony 3d models but they just don't blend well. It really looks like a slight more stylish Borderlands spin-off than it's own thing. Some of the comic style overlays feel out of place and the overall result didn't impressed me at all.

Later i might post some screenshots to explain a little bit better what i'm saying, but my first impressions were a bit chaotic.

Warxard

Banned
The thing is, just slapping 60fps into games, wont be enough. The other big point is the aiming mechanics.

Play something like Battlefield 4 and Battlefront and then go to DOOM or Halo 5. The aiming in the last two games feels sluggish and unresponsive by contrast to the first two where it feels so crisp and VERY responsive.

A lot of games, sure adapt to 60fps, but when the aiming just plain sucks and annoys, i couldnt care less about 60fps...

I really hope Overwatch hasnt the same issues with the aiming mechanics.

I would hope Battlefield has different aiming feel than Halo.

They're two completely different fucking games.

I like this game more any any of the borderlands :| still widh this game was third person tho, it would have been a lot better. On the dialogue, i agree that its tradh, theyre not funny at all

mrqs

Don't be silly, obviously every game in the genre has to be THE SAME.

Same as The Witcher 3 would have been much better with Bloodborne combat!

/s

It's really hard to say that 60fps games has less responsiveness than 30fps ones, 'cause that just the opposite. More frames means more time to be precise and the game to react. That's why MGSV is 60fps and has such a pitch perfect gameplay, it's absolutely precise.

Obviously it can be different depending on the game, but saying that Halo 5 and DOOM gameplay's are imprecise implying that the framerate has anything to do with it is silly.

I got into a match with Rath the ninja guy and liked it after I got a bit of a sense of what is going on. Once you get a sense of the flow you can make some cool plays. I do think third person would have maybe been better though.

Warxard

Banned
Might be weird but I think Battleborn is way funnier than anything Gearbox has written for Borderlands.

Aaron Linde's heading the writing for this, right? It's campy enough to tolerate.

casnix

I didn't like it at first but it grew on me after I learned what was what. Those queue times are horrendous though. That's a huge turnoff. I know that'll probably be fixed by launch but the odds of me buying this game is still slim to none.

patchday

Only played 1 incursion and 1 Meltdown on PS4.

- Frame rate :(
- I love the character designs
- I love the setting

Might buy Idk. Might not buy though cause performance issues

Plus this game has RNG which sucks!!!

That looked pretty fantastic, thanks. Well, I only have room for one of these games, so I might as well play the beta for Overwatch on the Xbox One before making a decision. Different games, sure, but the campaign resonated way more for me in Battleborn than the PvP, so I need to decide whether I need another campaign game in my collection. I know that I need a new PvP.

Has anyone played Overwatch? Is it fairly easy to jump into?

Try both. I think both games are a lot different. I'm definitely getting Overwatch (already ordered, etc)

hear4beer

Played for a few hours last night and the frame rate on PS4 is almost unplayable in versus. Gets super choppy while sprinting around the map, and the sound likes to stop while in ISACs turret mode for me :/

Bollocks

so is the mp part f2p or was that overwatch?
always mix them up

e: 500 viewers on twitch with the beta just released, doesn't bode well

Warxard

Banned
Does anyone have a link on the RNG stuff? I thought most of the stuff we're just EXP boosts and cosmetic items.

Menome

so is the mp part f2p or was that overwatch?
always mix them up

Both games are Buy-To-Play.

As for my impressions: Framerate is obviously a concern having played the Closed Test on PC. It's not unplayable, but it's night and day comparison given the art style really suits itself to smooth motion.

Aside from that, it's as fun as ever. I'm really enjoying it and keeping both pre-orders on for now.

patchday

Does anyone have a link on the RNG stuff? I thought most of the stuff we're just EXP boosts and cosmetic items.

What you get out of the loot packs is random loot. Which sucks if you are looking for a specific item

I dunno what crazy person at Gearbox thought its a great idea to introduce random loot to a competitive shooter.

Granted the shooting elements in this game... Well won't comment much on that (YET) but I will comment in another match or two

mrqs

That's not good at all. This game is so under the radar for so many people that it scares me. If Gearbox is betting hard on it's success, i don't know how they'll react to a somewhat failure for 2K.

taoofjord

I haven't been following the game at all so I went in pretty much blind this morning and came away with a seriously negative first impression. Art direction, framerate, feel of aiming, writing and tone, all were surprisingly bad. Can't speak for anything beyond that as the game might have a bit of depth to it that I didn't get to yet. But i don't think I'll give it another shot. Ah well.

what a shame this game turned out to be. it feels extremely dated with the 30fps and just all around laggy feel to the controls. after being in the overwatch beta since day 1 i can easily say overwatch's gameplay and technical feats make it a far more enjoyable game. Battleborn almost feels unplayable after having tried both.

Koutsoubas

Something is wrong on PS4. Either there is Input Lag or it plays on a low frame-rate(20-22fps) because the movement and aiming seems really laggy and unsatisfying

Something is wrong on PS4. Either there is Input Lag or it plays on a low frame-rate(20-22fps) because the movement and aiming seems really laggy and unsatisfying

For me, the assist aim ain't as strong as other games. Playing it on it doesn't seem to make much difference. If it had the assist aim on strong like other console FPS it would have helped out other people.

Jito

Banned
This is shambles, just went through the full couple minutes long pre match setup (why the hell is it so long?) just for the game to disconnect on load up. The matchmaking system is still as bad as in alpha, they can't release the game in this state.

Only had a quick go on single player yesterday but it runs like shit on PS4.

Played for a few hours last night and the frame rate on PS4 is almost unplayable in versus. Gets super choppy while sprinting around the map, and the sound likes to stop while in ISACs turret mode for me :/

It was pretty awful all round last night and I had a lot of glitches where my characters arms disappeared and sound cutting out.

It's been great all day today though, no queue times, quick matchmaking and switching over to my newer tv has made the frame rate more bearable.

Jito

Banned
Nah this is really shit, just does not play well at all, there's not feedback to any of the weapons and feels so loose and floaty.

patchday

I really like Meltdown. It actually feels like Tower Defense almost where you have to make decision to spend money on your own equipment -or- upgrade defenses

I think its quite fun game (multiplayer wise- didnt try SP)

Aiming is actually fun.

FRAMERATE is unforgivable though. Simply atrocious (PS4)

eshwaaz

So many explosions, so few sound effects. Seems like most robotic enemies explode without an accompanying sound. Shame, because the actual fx animations look terrific.

Koutsoubas

Nah this is really shit, just does not play well at all, there's not feedback to any of the weapons and feels so loose and floaty.

I agree to the loose and floaty part of weapons. As I wrote before, I cant understand if there is Input Lag problems, Low framerate or just bad implementation in the movement in general

So many explosions, so few sound effects. Seems like most robotic enemies explode without an accompanying sound. Shame, because the actual fx animations look terrific.

I'm wondering if this build of the game has quite a few pieces the sfx/bgm missing?. Both The character select screen and win/loose screen seem very silent and devoid of any fanfare or atmosphere!

Vire

No exaggeration, felt dizzy after literally 30 seconds of play.

The FOV and framerate are horrible. It also controls very floaty and the aiming is terrible. Beyond atrocious. Didn't even get a chance to try out the game in earnest because of it.

What the fuck?

IvanJ

Banned
After reading all this and the other topics, I just went ahead and deleted the beta without even playing it.
I did try last night, sat in the queue (that was helpful as I managed to prepare myself dinner and take a shower while still waiting), then got tired of it and left.

I was never planning to get this day one, but was hoping that the beta can convince me to wait it out on a sale. But it seems that by the time sales hit, there will be nobody left to play with or against. So for me another Evolve - avoid forever.
Plenty of other, better games to spend my time and money on.

wipeout364

Played three rounds of game last night. They will need to do something about uneven matches (maybe add an AI character) as these MOBA can get lopsided pretty quick. Overall I enjoyed what I played will seemed to be only one MOB route which seems like it would be limiting the strategy. IT kind of felt like there were choke points where everyone would battle which is kind of different then LOL or DOTA. I only played the first mode so maybe there is more variation in the other modes.

I want to complement gearbox for great job in varying the feel of the characters I played Thorne (archer) montana (large machine gun wielding tank) ORenchi (the mage) and I felt their aiming mechanics, movement, and special abilities were quite distinct. This will become more problematic as the roster grows (see League of legends) but they are off to a good start.

Overall I was surprised at the game iI feel t is better than many have said here, whether it has the staying power of MOBA's I don't know but I think they may have been better off going the League route with F2P and paying for skins and characters as these games are very dependent on player base for a good experience.

vaderise

Game is kinda fun but there are some really obvious problems:
-For an objective based multiplayer game it is too hard to follow the objectives.As a newcomer i can't do anything but just focus the PVP. It's mainly because of the visual style gearbox has chosen.
-PVP battles are sometimes impossible to follow because of all the chaos.
-I like the fact that this is a more shooter,less MOBA type game but some characters just feel ''off''.There are a lot of fun ones to play as there are a plenty of boring ones.

Like i said it's a fun game but there's NO WAY i'm paying 60$ for this.I can't see why i would give my time or my money to this instead of Overwatch or even Paladins which is completely free and more fun to play even with very limited content.

vaderise

Played three rounds of game last night. They will need to do something about uneven matches (maybe add an AI character) as these MOBA can get lopsided pretty quick. Overall I enjoyed what I played will seemed to be only one MOB route which seems like it would be limiting the strategy. IT kind of felt like there were choke points where everyone would battle which is kind of different then LOL or DOTA. I only played the first mode so maybe there is more variation in the other modes.

I want to complement gearbox for great job in varying the feel of the characters I played Thorne (archer) montana (large machine gun wielding tank) ORenchi (the mage) and I felt their aiming mechanics, movement, and special abilities were quite distinct. This will become more problematic as the roster grows (see League of legends) but they are off to a good start.

Overall I was surprised at the game iI feel t is better than many have said here, whether it has the staying power of MOBA's I don't know but I think they may have been better off going the League route with F2P and paying for skins and characters as these games are very dependent on player base for a good experience.

Yep,definetely aggree with that diversity stuff.What i like most about this is how different each character plays.It makes me want to unlock and try them all.And Gearbox did a great job with progression and unlocking systems,more i unlock new heroes more i wana keep playing.

Mass One

This game is weird.
At peak times took me 20 mins to get into a Story mission. It was lackluster.
Tried PVP early this morning. Cosmically meh borderline awful.

I played Montana the FOV sucks and his body takes up the lower sixth of my monitor. I thought my controller was busted. I was holding down the right trigger but I wasn't sure if anything was coming out. The heat gauge was fine and I saw numbers. Then I realize I'm not getting any kind of feedback. I exited then played another game.

The characters (for me) feel like those pre-made unity assets (I know its UE). No mesh, no flow, just there. I guess the flat graphics don't help.

No exaggeration, felt dizzy after literally 30 seconds of play.

The FOV and framerate are horrible. It also controls very floaty and the aiming is terrible. Beyond atrocious. Didn't even get a chance to try out the game in earnest because of it.

What the fuck?

Same I tried to fight through it but fuck is this game atrocious!

Top Bottom