• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn Open Beta thread: April 8 (PS4)/ April 13 (PC/XB1) - April 18

BiggNife

So are the queues gone today? I kinda want to try it just out of morbid curiosity but I'm not gonna bother if I have to wait a half hour between missions.

Ricker

So are the queues gone today? I kinda want to try it just out of morbid curiosity but I'm not gonna bother if I have to wait a half hour between missions.

Yep...well they where this morning,not sure if it will keep up in the afternoon and evening...

So sick and tired of the same 30 fps,60 fps,blah blah unplayable in every goddamn threads about a new game now...like 30 FPS is unplayable...? jesus christ c'mon guys.

Halo 5 has sluggish and unresponsive aiming? What is this I am reading?

Uhm yes it has. It got changed for no reason after the beta. It feels like im aiming trough water...
If you only play this game, you maybe wont notice it. But coming from other games its very noticable. Doom has the same kind of issues.

I would hope Battlefield has different aiming feel than Halo.

They're two completely different fucking games.

Halo 5 wants to be a Arena Shooter... i seriously expect crisp and responsive aiming mechanics from such shooter.

Both are shooters, both are 60fps on Consoles. So yeah the comparison isnt off.

nOoblet16

Uhm yes it has. It got changed for no reason after the beta. It feels like im aiming trough water...
If you only play this game, you maybe wont notice it. But coming from other games its very noticable. Doom has the same kind of issues.
Problem from your side then.

I play Halo 5, Rainbow Six and a couple of other shooters and no it's not sluggish. It probably has the most responsive controls out of any shooter I have on consoles.

Halo 5 isnone game that is tuned for pro scene from ground up and as such it simply cannot be sluggish.

kiri

Been playing this for most of the morning.

Agreed with others about the floaty weapons - just doesn't feel like you're doing any damage.

But the thing that gets me the most are the fucking characters. Whilst, yeah, I get that I can mute the voices - I don't need 'wacky', I just wanted character without things going off the rails.

Montana especially drives me fucking insane. LOVE Ian Sinclair as Rashid in SFV but here its the most painful Patrick Warburton clone I've ever heard.

Yep...well they where this morning,not sure if it will keep up in the afternoon and evening...

So sick and tired of the same 30 fps,60 fps,blah blah unplayable in every goddamn threads about a new game now...like 30 FPS is unplayable...? jesus christ c'mon guys.

Read the thread. Depending on the character you pick and how much is going on screen, there are HUGE frame drops consistently on PS4 at least. People(including myself) are getting dizzy, nauseous, and headaches from playing this game for a short amount of time. It has to do with all the effects on screen, the FOV, and of course the frame drops. With the way this game looks it really is a head scratcher how and why this happening.

I have zero issues playing BF4, BLOPS3, Battlefront, and many others for HOURS at a time without any problems. This game has some serious issues.

I have poor internet but the vs matches I got into last night were great, solid connections. The sp mode I tried solo and was boring but I genuinely had fun with the two online battles I had. I hope the final product has more explanation on the mechanics as I can see it confusing those not familiar with MOBAs. Also more story/character stuff to get a handle on who they are.

Went from "hey I'm tentatively excited cuz I love Borderlands/enjoy moba in theory" to actually excited for this.

Herla

I played a couple matches, used the archer lady and robot sniper.
Feels like the perfect PS+ game to me. It's fun while it's free, but I'm not going to miss it as soon as they ask 70€ to play.

At least it'll be a good distraction until Dark Souls day.

vaderise

I played a couple matches, used the archer lady and robot sniper.
Feels like the perfect PS+ game to me. It's fun while it's free, but I'm not going to miss it as soon as they ask 70€ to play.

At least it'll be a good distraction until Dark Souls day.

And let's not forget Ratchet and Clank.
GOTY 2016

patchday

I tried to like this game, but there are too many downside for me (seriously a lot ...) :(
The most important is the RNG and the consequent grinding. This kind of stuff really don't fit in a game like this.

Good luck anyway with this game (May seems pretty packed with high quality releases ...) !

Yeah no idea what's possessing Epic Games and Gearbox to add RNG to their little MOBAs (Granted, battleBorn isn't a MOBA per se as they have stated)

I can only imagine when these devs design these new MOBA-Inspired games- they are like

Dev A: "Hey we need to innovate so people won't call us a Dota clone!!!"
Dev B: "Right on bro. I got this sweet idea. People love loot right? And they love RNG!! Let's add it to our new MOBA-Inspired game"
Dev A: "Hell yes dude let's do this!"

Screw RNG

But seriously most console gamers might be okay with RNG but they won't be okay with subpar 30 fps (game dips below 30 fps all the time)

<edit- At least Paragon will add Card crafting eventually and its f2p anyways....>

Problem from your side then.

I play Halo 5, Rainbow Six and a couple of other shooters and no it's not sluggish. It probably has the most responsive controls out of any shooter I have on consoles.

Halo 5 isnone game that is tuned for pro scene from ground up and as such it simply cannot be sluggish.

Talking to him about Halo 5 is a lost cause. The game had custom aiming settings since the very first update and the devs even told the community on how to revert to the same settings used before.

OT: tried a little more of the beta, the framerate is just as bad. Also the UI consistency is just laughable, the overall beta lacks polish as hell, I play with Chinese language and some of the main screen announcements are in blocks because that section does not have Chinese font support lol.

.hacked

Liked the 2 story missions but here is my problem with the game.

I'd have to get 2 copies (my brother and I play together coop) so $75 each for looks like 8 story missions and what ever the season pass holds. Looks like all the playable guys are locked until you rank up, if this beta is any indication I'll have to grind the 8 story missions over and over to unlock them. Then looks like you have to spend in game currency on almost everything. Feels like a free to play game.

Why am I expected to play $75 and still everything is locked behind a grind?

I had fun with the 2 levels but if I am just grinding away for the sake of it I'll stick with Destiny and Division.

Camjo-Z

OK, so I've tried a good bit. I picked Miko on a whim the first time I played, but I stuck with her because I generally like playing as the healer class.

First off, they seriously need to add the ability to pass through teammates and jump over enemies/bots. Not only do I often die because of it, I accidentally become a detriment to my teammates because I limit their mobility as I'm keeping the healing beam up behind them. And when you can't move through bots you're pushing, it becomes a major hassle to do anything around them.

Secondly, the healing beam is really weird. It sort of locks you onto the thing you're healing but not really, so I end up having a mostly normal camera that decides to start bizarrely spinning around if I get to too close to my healing target, totally disorienting me. It also tends to lock on to things I didn't ask it to, and sometimes decides to not activate if I use it right after using a throwing knife.

And speaking of which, these throwing knives are just AWFUL. Medic characters are supposed to have weapons that make it hard to go Rambo, but are still strong enough that you're not a free kill if you're caught alone. Here, the throwing knives are just ass. Low ammo, extremely precise aim needed, and weak damage output. Unless I find an enemy with a sliver of health left, I know I'm not killing them. And because of the aforementioned inability to move through other players, they end up killing me because I can't fucking escape.

Anyway, as for the gameplay, it basically just devolves into "Does your team know how to push bots instead of attempting to play team deathmatch? Does your team know how to purchase the turret in the middle of the only lane? If so, you win!" Will watch as this bombs and goes F2P.

i feel better about cancelling my preorder now that i've played the beta.

unless the movement + aiming + gunplay is severely fixed to feel, you know, actually good, then i can't see it being anything other than a pain to play. i was getting a headache last night due to the gunplay being so bad along with the framerate issues. the FOV doesn't help either.

conceptually i dig it, and i love the art style and what the core gameplay is supposed to be. not quite enough to spend $60 on it though. hopefully they take a lot of feedback into consideration and tweak it heavily like a lot of "games as a service" titles have been doing these days.

patchday

maybe the price will drop at some point and some of us that are on the fence will be more eager. Plus hopefully they will optimize to hit a consistent 30 fps

Johndoey

Banned
It's like if they cut the single player and dropped this for like 20-30 bucks I might've picked this up, but as it is I can't hang with this.

Cess007

There are several things i liked (i found some powerups fun, and the Borderlands "feel"), but at the same time, it's missing some stuff from Borderlands (i.e second wind) that i find weird.
I played the first mission yesterday with some friends, and while fun (i found the boss battle pretty fun), i think i will wait for a sale (and my friends to get it too) to buy it.

Edit. Also, run into a couple of bugs yesterday. One for instance: when the mission started, we weren't able to move (we just saw a purple scree), and performing the taunt let us change the camera, and suddenly i can see my own character from a fixed camera.

The dialogue is really bad isn't it? It's like they thought people liked Borderlands' dialogue and so they decided to lean on that style of dialogue even harder this time.

Well, last I checked the franchise sold double digit millions and has a sizeable fanbase. It's probably a reasonable assumption that people from that group do like the writing.

Thewonandonly

Damn as someone who has borderlands 2 as their favorite game of all time and borderlands 1 in the top 5 it pains me to hate this. It's just not fun. Gunplay feels like how borderlands does and well that works wonders in PvE but for PvP it really sucks. It feels like it's chucking along and the frame rate is really bad.

O well at least I will have overwatch next month :)

Man, this game needs to buff a team when people leave.
It's so annoying to do so well in a match only to have it completely flip because 2-3 people suddenly decide they don't feel like playing anymore.

hydruxo

Damn as someone who has borderlands 2 as their favorite game of all time and borderlands 1 in the top 5 it pains me to hate this. It's just not fun. Gunplay feels like how borderlands does and well that works wonders in PvE but for PvP it really sucks. It feels like it's chucking along and the frame rate is really bad.

O well at least I will have overwatch next month :)

Yeah I agree. I don't think the community for it will have legs beyond the first month or so, probably not even after the first week. Overwatch is going to eat it alive when it launches.

I'm trying to ply this game but stuck in matchmaking... either no one is playing or its borked.

I'd say if you don't see the system get you a player in about 30-60 seconds to exit and try again. I've played about 10 solo Incursion matches from last night till today and haven't had a single issue with matchmaking. The games have also been quite "even" in the sense of matching 2-3 player groups with other 2-3 player groups and similar levels. Haven't ran into the dreaded solo players vs full team so that is one positive so far.

Memory

So is this going to have split screen or no?

Feels... Alright I guess.

The trailer shows split screen play so thats a positive for people looking for that feature

You can play split screen in the beta, just sign in with another account at the start up screen to test it if you want.

However the screen real estate is tiny, 1/5 of the screen is taken up by blank space and maps. Since the FOV is already small and everything is so large and cluttered you don't have much space to see things. We were playing on my 50inch and it was a headache, I'm sure there was some addition frame drops and slow down but I wasn't testing it or anything.

Wow, trying to have melee combat with a FOV this low? Jesus Christ did they even try?

Yeah, if they're going to have all the melee characters take the same amount of damage as ranged characters they either need to increase the FOV or change them all to 3rd person perspectives because you have ZERO awareness of your surroundings while flailing around.

Made worse on someone like Phoebe where she has a teleport but it doesn't matter because you have no idea where you are after teleporting before you get destroyed by every other character.

daedalius

You can play split screen in the beta, just sign in with another account at the start up screen to test it if you want.

However the screen real estate is tiny, 1/5 of the screen is taken up by blank space and maps. Since the FOV is already small and everything is so large and cluttered you don't have much space to see things. We were playing on my 50inch and it was a headache, I'm sure there was some addition frame drops and slow down but I wasn't testing it or anything.

Cool I'll give that a shot

My wife would like to play the pve missions I'm sure. The pvp stuff looks better watching it on GB, I'll try it later.

I have to say it's pretty hard as a melee character to track close range enemy players, especially when you knock them up or something. Pretty fun for me so far though after 5-6 matches. Disconnects/quitters are an issue of course like most games of this type.

Yeah, if they're going to have all the melee characters take the same amount of damage as ranged characters they either need to increase the FOV or change them all to 3rd person perspectives because you have ZERO awareness of your surroundings while flailing around.

Made worse on someone like Phoebe where she has a teleport but it doesn't matter because you have no idea where you are after teleporting before you get destroyed by every other character.

i sound like a broken record by now but im telling you, this game NEEDS a third person camera option, the game would be 100 times better with it.

From all the impressions it sounds like i dont have to download this beta huh.

When i got Alpha access or stress test access, i deleted this thing after 10 minutes of playing.
Sounds like it still hasnt changed for good.

Unlocked Reyna and tried the story mission to test her out. Almost unviable without leveling as her damage is minuscule, but while supposed a shielding character she also takes normal to high base damage.

Unlocked Shayne and Aurox, got killed anytime I tried to shadow sneak attack an Elite Bot. Not sure if bug or spec but extremely annoying either way as she has paper defense and pea shooter attack despite Aurox looking imposing.

I know the characters are probably balanced to require teamwork to some degree but there seems to be big discrepancies in what you'd expect based on the descriptions and what you get in gameplay. Playing with Miko the first time solo I came near death maybe once from rushing in at the start but between constant regen, the L1 boosted regen with a 15 sec cool down, and high base defense, it's not really possible to die PvE and even PvP is super easy if you pay attention to the map.

J_Viper

Yeah, this isn't very good at all.

The combat isn't satisfying, the weapons have no punch (seriously devs, they're called hit markers, USE THEM), the levels go on way too long, the abilities aren't very exciting, and the writing...good fucking god the writing.

Borderlands went 50/50 with its humor hit rate, but every line of dialogue here is like shattered glass stuffed into my ears.

Special note to Gearbox, stop using the word "badass". Please fucking stop.

Tapejara

I...like it. I always thought the game looked interesting from trailers, glad to see it's a lot of fun. I really think they should have gone for 60fps on console - same mistake Turtle Rock made with the console version of Evolve imo. Hopefully they can improve the inconsistent framerate for launch.

Unfortunately I'm not sold on the game yet, mostly because I worry the community won't be there.

daedalius

Played the other story mission with Oscar Mike, he seems alright, definitely better than Montana. I need to do some of the pvp, but I am liking it a bit better so far.

If its split screen and has some decent coop/pve missions, I'll definitely buy it.

Make sure your tv is not overscannig. As that cuts of 10 percent of the image borders. 16 by 9 is not what you want it on on newer tv's.

30fps is a minimum for many in this day and age. As in, games should be able to run at a steady 30 fps.

Caim

I don't like how playing melee feels in this game.

Played El Dragon and Phoebe and it just felt so sluggish compared whenever I used Marquis.

Zomba13

So I've only played two matches and already had an idiot shouting shit over voice chat about our team being noobs and not knowing how to play when we were just 5 points down on our first shield spider thing. So, at least it has the MOBA like community?

I'm not liking it so far. Maybe the characters I picked but they felt slow and sluggish and weapons didn't seem to feel like they had power. Enemies were teleporting around with no indication (like smoke or glow) so I assume lag? Situational awareness is terrible, I seem to get held up by our own creeps and not really know where damage is coming from and have trouble telling enemy players from their creeps. Minimap is pretty bad because the icons are so small I can't tell which enemy is which. It just feels like it's not a very good. Maybe I'd like it more on a PC with a mouse? Not a fan of the humour or VO at all either and usually I can let that stuff slide.

I still like some of the character designs (that mushroom man!) and I like the currency system, with buying/upgrading turrets, getting bigger robots, buying stuff from your gear loadout.

So I've only played two matches and already had an idiot shouting shit over voice chat about our team being noobs and not knowing how to play when we were just 5 points down on our first shield spider thing. So, at least it has the MOBA like community
This makes me laugh. Something is seriously wrong when you tilt on the second day of an open beta. Not surprised though.

Top Bottom