• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

It honestly doesn't sound like they've changed the controls since the beta. Just that Battlefield 4 (and the beta) brings a new control scheme and they want to point out that even in the beta you could change it to something "similar to Battlefield 3" with the Veteran control scheme.

Yeah that's how I read it too, they must have been getting a lot of complaints since they've been promoting these "veteran"controls and how to get to them on all their social media. Was kinda confused to see it mentioned again in the press release.

Kak.efes

If the controller layout isn't fixed, I'm out. That sticks out more than anything for me, but beyond that, I feel they've made some really poor design and balance choices (running out of ammo as armour, losing entire clips upon reload). Why are they hampering gameplay with these stringencies? Were these even issues in BF3? Was anyone calling for these changes in BF4?

It's just changing shit for the sake of changing shit.

If the controller layout isn't fixed, I'm out. That sticks out more than anything for me, but beyond that, I feel they've made some really poor design and balance choices (running out of ammo as armour, losing entire clips upon reload). Why are they hampering gameplay with these stringencies? Were these even issues in BF3? Was anyone calling for these changes in BF4?

It's just changing shit for the sake of changing shit.

the reload issue was just a beta problem. i mean, reloading the shotgun took 6 shells per shell put in...

So RPGs and SMAWs will no longer lock on designated targets anymore in the release build.

Keep fixing your errors DICE and I may reconsider BF4.

Biggest news is the legacy control layout but I wonder what they mean by similar. Knowing DICE they'll find a way to fuck it up instead of straight up copying the layout from BF3.

Control layout or sticks? I'm thinking the latter.

Bros. Get on.

10min

I think it was supposed to be a hardcore thing at the most.

It was meant to be global, but those who got their hands on it early complained. So, they decided to keep it in Hardcore.

I haven't been paying any attention to the developments of the beta, but I thought that was a design choice - that reloading a clip meant losing all remaining ammo in the clip.

nah, in hardcore, what happens is each magazine keeps its own count and you rotate thru them. losing the whole mag on reload is a beta issue.

DoubleD

Neogaf. What's up?! I've played bf3 with a few of you guys that play with Lostsupper. Currently a 360 player, but moving over to the PS4 for bf4. Hope to get to play with more of you all.

LEGGZZZZ

Kinda regretting canceling my Ps4 order now, gonna miss playing with Ps3 gaf here and there, but I'll be getting one eventually in the coming months if I can't find one at launch. Xbox One version for now though.

*joins game*

[is on the wrong team]

*hears suqadmates talking*

"watch out! on your six. on your six!"

*boom*

"fuck! my god... this olimpia dude... he's everywhere"

*laughs*

olimpia84

*joins game*

[is on the wrong team]

*boom*

*laughs*

Yeah, I was giving that other team a hard time in a big way since my team wasn't that good and had to carry it with my shoulders. Dat last clan we faced...yeah no way we were winning xD

Yeah, I was giving that other team a hard time in a big way since my team wasn't that good and had to carry it with my shoulders. Dat last clan we faced...yeah no way we were winning xD

that and we were outnumbered.

Don't know honestly. I was assuming that after the flood of complaints in their Battlelog/Facebook/Twitter accounts that they were going to change every damn thing to the BF3 layout. Now you have me worried...

they change the controls *every game* though

Modern Combat had its own layout
Bad Company had its own layout
1943 had its own layout
Bad Company 2 had its own layout
Battlefield 3 had its own layout
and now this

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
*joins game*

[is on the wrong team]

*boom*

*laughs*

Hahaha, I know that feeling from playing him a few rounds before. It's like "surely he's at the other flag." NOPE.

they change the controls *every game* though

Modern Combat had its own layout
Bad Company had its own layout
1943 had its own layout
Bad Company 2 had its own layout
Battlefield 3 had its own layout
and now this

Modern Combat, yeah.

BC1->1943->BC2->BF3, WAT?

No. If you use the crouch-on R3 function it's basically the same across games.

Only like... minor changes happened.

BC1 dropped prone but crouch on R3 was still there (dropping prone from BF2/Modern Combat until BF3 returned it), L/R2 (L/Rbumpers on 360) was kit items and gun/primary/grenades.
BC2 changed kits to D-pad on both. Crouch was still R3. Vehicles were still triggers (but they dropped stick-drive? Or was it an option? Forgetting). Instead R2 (RB) became grenade. L2 (LB) became Knife.
BF3 changed L2 to grenade(?) and R2 to knife (or was it still the same? Fuzzy memory).

But otherwise the controls for crouch, reload, arming crates/objectives, getting in vehicles was the same across all the titles. BF2: MC being the only most radical being the first "Battlefield" port for consoles and the most "PC-like" at the time.

olimpia84

Like Seks said, they always make minor changes. But the real question is why even make changes (minor or major?). Sure, offer more options but keep the previous layouts.

TheSeks

Probably to try to find a "standard" layout for people. Really, the spot-function since BC2 has been on select, so I dunno why the radical change on PS360. I could see the 720 and PS4 change, sure, but if the PC version kept Q for spot why wouldn't the previous generation? That's the most bizarre one. The others are "trying to find a better spot" changes with the exception of vehicles.

yeah, that's the point i was making. moving spot is a minor change just like most of the changes in previous games, and if you use the classic configs included in the beta, it's almost the same. and stickdrive isn't even a change, it's a glorious return of a beloved classic config!

TheSeks

Eh, even the defaults weren't huge changes. The only thing they changed was putting melee on R3 IIRC. Something that I fixed by going with legacy or tactical or whatever they call it because I played on "Tactical" in CoD4 for too long and can't be assed to change from my prone on stick system.

burnfout

Man I fell off the BF3 wagon hard, trying to finish up my backlog before PS4 hits.

74/75 assignments done, will probably never get the last 30 xbow kills.

I hope I still get accepted into the PS4 gaf clan though :), took a whole week off during launch!

olimpia84

yeah, that's the point i was making. moving spot is a minor change just like most of the changes in previous games, and if you use the classic configs included in the beta, it's almost the same. and stickdrive isn't even a change, it's a glorious return of a beloved classic config!

Minor change? They moved spot, which in turn affects melee, which in turn affects hte action button which moved to reload. And adding to insult they make all these changes to add a shortcut to Battlelog? No DICE, I'm not going to stop mid-battle to check what's the latest scope my buddies have unlocked and how many points they need to the next rank.
Don't even get me started on the vehicles...even the tanks of Battletanx on the N64 drive more realistically than BF4.

Man I fell off the BF3 wagon hard, trying to finish up my backlog before PS4 hits.

74/75 assignments done, will probably never get the last 30 xbow kills.

I hope I still get accepted into the PS4 gaf clan though :), took a whole week off during launch!

I don't blame you. I bailed out of the whole assignment deal as soon as they put that 'get a headshot from 350 meters' or whatever objective.

Minor change? They moved spot, which in turn affects melee, which in turn affects hte action button which moved to reload. And adding to insult they make all these changes to add a shortcut to Battlelog? No DICE, I'm not going to stop mid-battle to check what's the latest scope my buddies have unlocked and how many points they need to the next rank.
Don't even get me started on the vehicles...even the tanks of Battletanx on the N64 drive more realistically than BF4.

I don't blame you. I bailed out of the whole assignment deal as soon as they put that 'get a headshot from 350 meters' or whatever objective.

minor change

and i used melee on a face button anyway!

they need to make Battlelog hold and not toggle in-game like how the scoreboard/map screen is.

TheSeks

Hmm... Battlefield 4 PS3 for $30 on Black Friday at Gamestop is mighty tempting... but no one is going to play that version. And it doesn't include Premium. :(

Top Bottom