• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 | Console Community Thread | Pleasant Entertainment

Milennia

I'll try to add you when I get home.
Not gonna guarantee anything, since my friend list is quite full -_-

-----------------

EDIT: I don't know who is assigned to do the official OT, but depending on who it is, I kinda feel like a separate console thread for bf4 will be needed.

No worries=p

For bf4 a seperate thread would be needed yes, seeing as how the original bf4 thread was going.

meppi

If I buy BF4 from the UK do I have to buy Premium from UK as well?

I got BF3 from the UK and premium from the Belgium PSN, so if everything remains the same, that wouldn't be a problem.
Only had problems with Uncharted 2 DLC that was region locked for some reason.

Hey GAF, DawnofLife here. Haven't been on here in a looooong time. Just wanted to check in and hope to see you guys on PS4! I'm assuming our friends list will transfer to PS4, right?

JJD

I got BF3 from the UK and premium from the Belgium PSN, so if everything remains the same, that wouldn't be a problem.
Only had problems with Uncharted 2 DLC that was region locked for some reason.
Thanks for the answer Meppi! I think I'll get the disc since it seems the PS4 game downloads are going to be huge. I wanted to go all digital next gen but I already have Killzone pre ordered (bundled with the console).

Hey GAF, DawnofLife here. Haven't been on here in a looooong time. Just wanted to check in and hope to see you guys on PS4! I'm assuming our friends list will transfer to PS4, right?

I believe it will. Good to see you back man!

I hope to see all the regulars in a few months! :)

I have a question... Who is getting BF4

i5vr8OaPP4DuP.gif

on the Xbox One?

iGtXdmjpjJUmP.gif

meppi

Thanks for the answer Meppi! I think I'll get the disc since it seems the PS4 game downloads are going to be huge. I wanted to go all digital next gen but I already have Killzone pre ordered (bundled with the console).

Thought about going digital like I did with the 3DS, but seeing as how the 500GB will be filled up within a couple of months, I decided against it. Not to mention digital only games and PS+.
It just wouldn't work for me. Well except for certain games perhaps. Certainly getting Mario Kart digitally for instance.
If they did a MP only download version for BF4, I would probably bite as well.

One strange thing I've noticed in the beta is how the controls seem a bit floaty, yet when you turn aim assist off it's much snappier, even when not trying to aim at someone.

Had this awful experience where I was trailing 2 guys in a narrow corridor, the moment I bring my sights up to aim at the back one, the first one runs through a door on the left. Neither know I'm there.
As I bring the sights up towards the one moving straight forward, my reticule snaps 2 meters to the left in an attempt to follow the one who has disappeared through the door and in now behind a wall.
Hope they dial down the aim assist in the final version as it really is baby mode this way. :-/

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You guys seem pretty tech savvy... I'm a bit worried now about my audio solution for PS4.

Atm I have my PS3 hooked up to a PC monitor that doesn't have speakers/audio jacks. I run the audio through a stereo using those old-ass PS3 AV cables and my video is just the HDMI.

PS4 is just HDMI though. So I don't know how I could do this. I use headphones pretty much 100% of the time, so I figured I'd just spring for the Pulse headset and pull audio directly from the console. But now Sony is saying Pulse won't be available straightaway?

Um... what is my solution that doesn't cut too heavily into my Day 1 gaming fund?

meppi

Shouldn't the headphone jack in the controller itself be able to help you out?
Not sure if it's correct but I read before that it would be putting out the same sound that goes to your TV/amp.

Evolved1

Shouldn't the headphone jack in the controller itself be able to help you out?
Not sure if it's correct but I read before that it would be putting out the same sound that goes to your TV/amp.

Hmm... idk. I'm imagining a pretty scary looking wires "tether" if that does work, lol!

olimpia84

Thought about going digital like I did with the 3DS, but seeing as how the 500GB will be filled up within a couple of months, I decided against it. Not to mention digital only games and PS+.
It just wouldn't work for me. Well except for certain games perhaps. Certainly getting Mario Kart digitally for instance.

If I end up getting BF4 for the PS4 it will be digital since I figure I'll be playing it very often (I"m banking on DICE fixing the controls) but I forgot how games will be much larger in size this gen. Do we know how big BF4 is for the PS4?

meppi

If I end up getting BF4 for the PS4 it will be digital since I figure I'll be playing it very often (I"m banking on DICE fixing the controls) but I forgot how games will be much larger in size this gen. Do we know how big BF4 is for the PS4?

No idea at this point but seeing how big BF3 got with the 360install, patches and everything, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 one ends up being over 50GB in total when all is said and done. :-/
Unless DICE learns how to actually program, but we all know that's not going to happen anytime soon. ;)

You guys seem pretty tech savvy... I'm a bit worried now about my audio solution for PS4.

Atm I have my PS3 hooked up to a PC monitor that doesn't have speakers/audio jacks. I run the audio through a stereo using those old-ass PS3 AV cables and my video is just the HDMI.

PS4 is just HDMI though. So I don't know how I could do this. I use headphones pretty much 100% of the time, so I figured I'd just spring for the Pulse headset and pull audio directly from the console. But now Sony is saying Pulse won't be available straightaway?

Um... what is my solution that doesn't cut too heavily into my Day 1 gaming fund?

For game audio:

If the PS4 supports PCM/LPCM like the PS3 did, then this will work fine. I plan on purchasing it once I get a PS4 since I have an amp that only has analog inputs.

For voice/game chat:

I'm really hoping the PS4 has an option similar to the 360's (not sure if the PS3 has it). You can choose to have game chat, along with game audio, heard through "TV speakers" which would be routed to your headphones. Any 3.5mm mic should work with the controller.

One strange thing I've noticed in the beta is how the controls seem a bit floaty, yet when you turn aim assist off it's much snappier, even when not trying to aim at someone.

Had this awful experience where I was trailing 2 guys in a narrow corridor, the moment I bring my sights up to aim at the back one, the first one runs through a door on the left. Neither know I'm there.
As I bring the sights up towards the one moving straight forward, my reticule snaps 2 meters to the left in an attempt to follow the one who has disappeared through the door and in now behind a wall.
Hope they dial down the aim assist in the final version as it really is baby mode this way. :-/
see, stuff like that is why i always turn aim assist off in games.

meppi

see, stuff like that is why i always turn aim assist off in games.

Yeah, me too.
But this being a beta, I didn't even think about looking for such an option at first.
Until that incident happened and I thought: well enough of this!
Controls certainly feel a lot tighter, even though hitting a moving target at range with nothing but iron sights over and over again is certainly a bit harder.

I hope that the unlocks will be a lot quicker in the final release. Getting only random drops when you level up a couple of times is going to get old real fast.
Then again, they are probably thinking about the millions they will be making by selling battle-packs alone. :-/

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

PC is 30GB. So expect that much

Same here.

Now that I think about it,I don't mind that I have to put the disc in the ps4 to play the digital ps4 version

Sup console battlefield gaf! I played BF3 on 360, will be playing BF4 on PS4. My psn id as of now is BeekleMatter (didn't play too much PS3) but I might change it, I'm not sure. None of my friends are getting PS4's launch day so you all should hit me up release day :)

JJD

i don't mind the size of the PS4 digital version... right now, i'm worried about the size of the PS3 digital version... gotta clean out my fridge!!!

Don't forget you gotta have at least twice the size of the download available! I Hope Sony fixes this on PS4.

I've been seeing a lot of Xfactor's Beta videos and Shangai looks like a great map! I can't wait to play the game with 64 players!

Don't forget you gotta have at least twice the size of the download available! I Hope Sony fixes this on PS4.

I've been seeing a lot of Xfactor's Beta videos and Shangai looks like a great map! I can't wait to play the game with 64 players!
that's what i'm worried about. i'm sure i have enough space, i just dunno about double...

Jas

Thanks Dream and Bo for the invites but it put me in queue even when I was already in the game, haha.

Hope that gets fixed before it's released.

Didn't want you guys thinking I ignored them.

Thanks Dream and Bo for the invites but it put me in queue even when I was already in the game, haha.

Hope that gets fixed before it's released.

Didn't want you guys thinking I ignored them.

was hoping you would get the message and join our squad :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
that's what i'm worried about. i'm sure i have enough space, i just dunno about double...

Check PS3 Utilities above the save data stuff. Should information how much space is taken. Now calculate how much your harddrive has left.

Now should be 12 gigs or so given BF3 but it may be a few gigs more.

Evolved1

Check PS3 Utilities above the save data stuff. Should information how much space is taken. Now calculate how much your harddrive has left.

Now should be 12 gigs or so given BF3 but it may be a few gigs more.

You can just go into system settings and it tells you how much HDD is available. No math necessary.

Obliteration is hella fun, needs a time limit though. Really like how the action is laser focused on the bomb carrier, makes for really interesting/intense battles. Good addition to CQ and Rush.

Evolved1

Btw... battlelog emblem creator is too crappy to make a gaf logo. Sorry guys.

Evolved1

Hmm... I came up with something similar, it just ate up so many layers I wasn't able to make it looked finished. Same as that one.

It's a crappy tool imo. Wish they would have spent about five more mins developing it, could have been much better.

I think they're too worried about copyright. And penises.

Top Bottom