• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam |OT|

This is a definitely a different take on Battlefield. Everything DICE did here was seemingly meant to reinforce in-your-face infantry fighting and de-emphasize the more spread out, nonlinear gameplay usually associated with Battlefield.

Except for Phu Bai valley the maps are largely designed around pushing chokepoints rather than go-where-you-want strategy, which sucks for conquest mode as three out of four maps clearly aren't made for that. Even Rush suffers from the excessive chokepoint focus; it's far too easy to lock areas down and combined with too few tickets I have yet to see an attacking team win a match.

It's still fun, I suppose, but I hope they got this out of their system and BF3 is absolutely nothing like this. Rather play 1943 to be honest.

And having no scopes really makes zero difference that I can see. Make no mistake, you will get sniped by shotguns, UZIs, and MGs from across the map.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
No scopes hasn't made much a difference for me, still pretty easy to kill people at long with the the LMGs and assault rifles.
Huggers said:
Am I reading this right? Everything is unlocked from the outset? Snipers can't spot?? wtf
I think everything is unlocked, I had everything in BC2 so I don't know, and Snipers can spot.

n0n44m

I like how all the guns are unlocked from the start; grabbed it with BC2 on steam sale, but for BC2 I need to grind to even get the most basic abilities (repair/revive and so on), not to mention guns or "perks" ... already seemed like a chore at times when I played it on PS3 half year ago :/

lots of variety between both BC2 and Vietnam for around €30 on steam, and great DX11 graphics + performance so I'm happy =]

Arnie

Confidence Man said:
And having no scopes really makes zero difference that I can see. Make no mistake, you will get sniped by shotguns, UZIs, and MGs from across the map.
This has always been the case in Battlefield but as it stands now it should be less frequent. Yes it's still possible but not as easy for your average player. That slight difference changes the gameplay dramatically and allows a fraction more time before you're gunned down.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fersis said:
Q: ZOMFG!! Teh flame thrower its so broken! WTF Dice!!! >8(
A: Hi TheSeks. ;P

What, is everyone abusing my troll weapon on PC? Because I was going to abuse the hell out of the flamethrower with a trollface.jpg on my face when it launches on PS3 and not bitch about "ZOMG BROKEN" like I do Magnum Ammo in BC2.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TheSeks said:
What, is everyone abusing my troll weapon on PC? Because I was going to abuse the hell out of the flamethrower with a trollface.jpg on my face when it launches on PS3 and not bitch about "ZOMG BROKEN" like I do Magnum Ammo in BC2.
:lol

Early reports said that the flamethrower is fine.
<3 TheSeks <3

See you tonight buddy.

richiek said:
I like the historical authenticity of the weapons, but like COD it pisses me off when other players use the wrong weapons (like when US troops use the AK47) :D

The Recon class seems heavily nerfed now. I understand that there are no motion mines, but you can't spot enemies anymore? Weak.
They can, plus they get TNT (C4) AND mortars so you never have to decide which would be best. Plus the M40 packs a huge punch and I love me some M21. Snipers are fine.

DSmalls84

It's been a while since I have played BFBC2 and I downloaded onslaught mode and Vietnam. Will I level up by playing these modes?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DSmalls84 said:
It's been a while since I have played BFBC2 and I downloaded onslaught mode and Vietnam. Will I level up by playing these modes?
Yup.

scitek

I'll probably be picking this up now thanks to that deal on BC2 yesterday on Steam. Did BC2 garner much recognition for its sound?

todahawk

TheSeks said:

I'll be on tonight so you can roast my ass. Didn't get to play this weekend, everyone in my house was sick. :(

Fitz

Brakara said:
I'm pretty sure the two maps I played on (don't remember the names) had the bases at a triangular shape. At least it didn't feel like rush at all.

But there's nothing wrong with straight lines either, and several of the standard maps are like that as well. I don't see how Vietnam is different in that regard?

Edit: here's one of the maps I played on:

http://i.imgur.com/GGw4K.png[IMG]

The other was the Hill something-something map.[/QUOTE]

Phu Bai is the only Conquest map with that that layout in Vietnam, just about every Conquest map in vanilla either has a non linear layout, or at least has a considerable amount of room to manoeuvre around the enemy. Oasis for example, the points are laid out in a somewhat straight line, but the map still has a huge amount of space to move and flank the enemy. The problem is compounded by the lack of vehicles, again, outside of Phu Bai.

Don't get me wrong, I have no specific problem with maps that are laid out in a line and have the players constantly pushing against each others front, but it just feels like they've made that the exclusive way you have to play the game, outside of Phu Bai.

Sanjay

JBuccCP said:
I don't know why I bought it. I'm tired of Rush mode and 3 linear points conquest sucks.

Can't argue with you there, maps are made for Rush first in BC2 games.

Mr Solo Dolo said:
I think the maps are too big and so far every game I've played in has been full of campers and no team work.

Spawn run to the action get shot by sniper repeat until 360 controller goes out the window, I am recovering from flu at the moment so that probably isn't helping.

I have also been noticing a increase of snipers and players who just camp their own spawns and even refuse to move to disable NCOM stations. But really why don't you play with GAF? they play like a team and really its the only way I like to play BC2, with good squad members.

MDSLKTR said:
maybe the fact that the maps are some of the most beatiful I have ever seen in a fps (be it solo or multiplayer)? In any case it's worth every penny.

Graphics wise its a step down to BC2 but I do love the Vietnam environment that's for sure.

Hellcrow

Colkate said:
Phu Bai is the only Conquest map with that that layout in Vietnam, just about every Conquest map in vanilla either has a non linear layout, or at least has a considerable amount of room to manoeuvre around the enemy. Oasis for example, the points are laid out in a somewhat straight line, but the map still has a huge amount of space to move and flank the enemy. The problem is compounded by the lack of vehicles, again, outside of Phu Bai.

Don't get me wrong, I have no specific problem with maps that are laid out in a line and have the players constantly pushing against each others front, but it just feels like they've made that the exclusive way you have to play the game, outside of Phu Bai.

So smoke grenades is the way to flank, or is it enough obstruction in the form of buildings and bushes to allow it without.

Better question, are there smoke grenades?

Fitz

Hellcrow said:
So smoke grenades is the way to flank, or is it enough obstruction in the form of buildings and bushes to allow it without.

I wish. :( That would certainly help the problem.

Arnie

Hellcrow said:

Don't think so although I'd have to check to be sure. In BC2 you fired the smoke from your tube attachment on your assault rifle whereas in Vietnam Assault has a separate Thumper grenade launcher rather than an attachment for their primary weapon. I don't recall seeing the option to equip smoke rounds for your Thumper.

1-D_FTW

Ikuu said:
I think it's Vantage point that if the just opened up the map it could be so much better on Conquest, the maps are just too small and limited.

:lol Or just play it because it's fun?

What kind of blasphemy talk is that? You're supposed to unlock the fun. That's the fun. Unlocking stuff.

Thank god. I tip my hat to whoever decided against this ADD crap for Vietnam. If I level up enough and unlock all the garbage in the main game while playing Vietnam, I might even boot that up.

Horns

I'll be on tonight. Wish this was a stand alone pack because I had to buy the game again. Then again why did I get rid of it in the first place?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Hellcrow said:

No smoke grenades. Explosions and the like do seem to kick up more smoke than before though. Haven't tried setting fire to anything to see if that provides smoke for cover.

USF

DLC size on PS3? And is there a new disc update?
Currently stuck with 512kbps connection :(

Huggers said:
Am I reading this right? Everything is unlocked from the outset? Snipers can't spot?? wtf
That seems odd. Can only the Sniper class not spot, or is spotting removed from Vietnam for all classes? If so, wtf?

poppabk

USF said:
DLC size on PS3? And is there a new disc update?
Currently stuck with 512kbps connection :(
If you played on the new maps recently then you already downloaded it.

EYEL1NER

Hmmm, I don't know why I got it in my head that this expansion had some kind of single player story with it, but somehow I did. Finding out it doesn't is disappointing, because it looks so cool.
I've had BC2 since June and have not played multi even once. I haven't even used my VIP code. So I don't know about this.
But it looks so damn cool!

todahawk

poppabk said:
If you played on the new maps recently then you already downloaded it.
yup, patch 1.05 was 1.5+GB

edit: @violater, dude your sig always freaks me out, i always think i'm catching you changing it. :lol

Kade

Darkshier said:
That seems odd. Can only the Sniper class not spot, or is spotting removed from Vietnam for all classes? If so, wtf?

All classes can spot. At least on the PC version they can. Not sure about the console versions.

RedSwirl

I know I've asked this somewhere on NeoGAF before, but I bought the EA Store download of the base game for PC. Is that where I need to get the expansion pack too?

xclaw

Man, if I have to wait until like 10PM PST for the entire PSN Store to update in order to play this I'll... umm... be frusterated.

Don't like it as much as I thought I would but its fun enough I suppose. The maps seem smaller to me. That one map that starts immediately at a chokepoint in the rocks is yuck. The lack of motion mines and the effect that has is a turn off to me. If motion mines are gone I wished it use a spotting system more similar to 1943. I also never like the lighting filter they put into these games.

I think I prefer the base game. But the value is good so I'll definitely put some hours into it.

todahawk

xclaw said:
Man, if I have to wait until like 10PM PST for the entire PSN Store to update in order to play this I'll... umm... be frusterated.

One thing I've noticed on the PSN store is that they'll add the games before they update the main pages to advertise them.

I'd recommend searching the PSN store for Vietnam instead of browsing around looking for it. I got something before that took another couple of hours to show up on the main storefront.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm annoyed by several of the Rush maps that only have a few stages. And on PC one of the longer maps tends to end in the first stage every time.

poppabk

RedSwirl said:
I know I've asked this somewhere on NeoGAF before, but I bought the EA Store download of the base game for PC. Is that where I need to get the expansion pack too?
Its just a CD key, so anywhere that will sell it to you (anyone but steam basically) should work. EA store is as good as anywhere though, no-one has any deals on it, and it'll keep all your stuff in the same place. EA's download manager is much improved and they have added steam like game registration for it.

DMczaf

poppabk said:
Its just a CD key, so anywhere that will sell it to you (anyone but steam basically) should work. EA store is as good as anywhere though, no-one has any deals on it, and it'll keep all your stuff in the same place. EA's download manager is much improved and they have added steam like game registration for it.

Is there a list of CD-Keys that work on EADM, or is it just all games that are available on EADM?

Top Bottom