• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
The nominations are in for the event to be held on the 16th of December:

Nicola-Adams-001.jpg

Nicola Adams
She made history by becoming the first woman to win Olympic boxing gold with victory over China's Ren Cancan in the flyweight division.
Odds: 200-1

Ben-Ainslie-002.jpg

Ben Ainslie
Ainslie's dramatic gold in the Finn class made him the first sailor to win medals in five different Olympics, four of them gold. He was given the honour of carrying the British flag in the closing ceremony.
Odds: 150-1

Jessica-Ennis-003.jpg

Jessica Ennis
The poster girl of London 2012 certainly did not disappoint, bringing the Olympic Stadium to its feet with a dominant victory in the heptathlon.
Odds: 10-1

Mo-Farah-004.jpg

Mo Farah
Farah won his first gold medal in the 10,000 metres on a glorious night that also saw victories for Ennis and Greg Rutherford in the long jump. He added a second gold in the 5,000m, becoming only the seventh man in Olympic history to do the double. Hugely popular and could well improve on last year's third place.
Odds: 5-1

Katherine-Grainger-005.jpg

Katherine Grainger
Three times a silver medallist at previous Games, the 37-year-old Scottish rower finally won gold in London in the double sculls with Anna Watkins.
Odds: 200-1

Sir-Chris-Hoy-006.jpg

Sir Chris Hoy
The Scot successfully defended two of his three Olympic titles from Beijing. That gave the 36-year-old six gold medals, making him the most successful British Olympian of all time. Odds: 150-1

Rory-McIlory-007.jpg

Rory McIlroy
The world No1 golfer is the only non-Olympian or Paralympian on the list. He has had a superb year, winning his second major at the USPGA Championship, topping the money lists in both the United States and Europe and helping Europe win the Ryder Cup.
Odds: 100-1

Andy-Murray-008.jpg

Andy Murray
After so many near-misses, Murray hit the jackpot in 2012, beating Roger Federer to win Olympic singles gold on the same court he had tearfully lost to the Swiss four weeks earlier in the Wimbledon final. He then ended Fred Perry's 76-year reign as the last British man to claim a grand slam singles title, by winning the US Open. It still may not be enough to make him Sports Personality of the Year.
Odds: 8-1

Ellie-Simmonds-009.jpg

Ellie Simmonds
Simmonds emerged as a star at the Beijing Paralympics when she was only 13, winning two gold medals. She added two more golds, a silver and a bronze in London, where she was one of the star attractions.
Odds: 50-1

Sarah-Storey-010.jpg

Sarah Storey
Storey's extraordinary dominance of women's cycling at the Paralympics landed her four gold medals and cemented her reputation as one of Britain's finest Paralympians, having switched from swimming after Athens 2004 – a sport in which she won five gold medals. Odds: 200-1

David-Weir-011.jpg

David Weir
The Londoner stole the show where Paralympic athletics was concerned, winning four gold medals at distances from 800m all the way up to the marathon, taking his tally to 10 medals overall, six of them gold.
Odds: 25-1

Bradley-Wiggins-012.jpg

Bradley Wiggins
The hot favourite to win the award, the Guardian columnist has been one of the faces of 2012. He became the first British rider to win the Tour de France and then added Olympic gold in the time trial, his seventh medal overall. He certainly fulfills the personality element.
Odds: 2-5

==================================================

What a great shortlist. It's been a crazy year for British sport. The best thing about it? No fucking footballers.

Will anyone upset Wiggins from getting the top honour?

Wiggins should win, although I hope not, the less publicity that horribly tainted "sport" he competes in gets, the better. Cycling is less a sport than WWE is imo. Institutionally corrupt.

I hope McElroy or Murray get it.

Would love Mo to get it

Him winning his golds were among my favourite sporting moments it was so tense and it seemed the whole country was willing him on

Plus he beat the cube

Meier

Wiggins came to mind for me immediately (well, I couldn't remember his name, but I thought the cyclist). Mo Farah would be neat especially since he trained in the US. :D

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Wiggins, Farah, Murray in that order me thinks.

Yeah, I think those will be the top three. I don't envy the guys that have to make the choice that's for sure. It is crazy to think that there are people who won multiple gold medals at the Olympics and didn't make the shortlist.

volpone

Banned
I'd like to see Murray get it. Been a big fan for a few years now and his loss at Wimbledon followed by that speech was heartbreaking. To see him strike back in not only the Olympics but to also win his first grand slam was wonderful.

But since we did host the Olympics this year and many will be anticipating that Murray will have another chance to win down the line, it's really between Ennis, Farah and Wiggins.

DrFurbs

The word sports and personality should never used in the same sentence. Ive yet to see any sports person with a personality lol.

Juicy Bob

Farrah or Wiggins. Ennis or Simmonds I'd be very happy with too.

What a year it's been for British sport. There are so many on that list who deserve it and would've taken it easily if it was any other year.

The word sports and personality should never used in the same sentence. Ive yet to see any sports person with a personality lol.

KYhQ3.jpg

-£300,000 fine for throwing darts at the youth team.
-Can't dress himself.
-Threw tomatoes at a Serie A manager.
-Threw Water Balloons at a Serie A disciplinary hearing.
-Sent to the shops by his mother to buy essentials for the house, came back with a giant trampoline and a Vespa and a Scalectrix.
-Was stopped by police going around his hometown of Hulme with £25,000 cash in the passenger seat. When asked why he replied " because I'm rich"
-£10,000 in parking fines along with 27 total impoundings on his Maserati.
-Chanted "Rooney, Rooney" at the prostitute who claimed to have slept with Wayne Rooney.
-Set his house on fire as he shot fireworks from window

Mourinho about Balotelli :
“I could write a book of 200 pages of my two years at Inter with Mario, but the book would not be a drama – it would be a comedy,” the tactician noted.

“I remember one time when we went to play Kazan in the Champions League. In that match I had all my strikers injured. No Diego Milito, no Samuel Eto’o, I was really in trouble and Mario was the only one.

“Mario got a yellow card in the 42nd minute, so when I got to the dressing room at half-time I spend about 14 minutes of the 15 available speaking only to Mario.

“I said to him: ‘Mario, I cannot change you, I have no strikers on the bench, so don’t touch anybody and play only with the ball. If we lose the ball no reaction. If someone provokes you, no reaction, if the referee makes a mistake, no reaction.'

“The 46th minute – red card!”

xRSyd.jpg

hA8Fo.jpg

iRFNicjXakAjW.gif

isxKI4PTELYU6.gif

Dude probably got too much personality, it's getting in the way of him becoming world class.

Wiggins will get it and Murray will the year he wins Wimbledon.
But who knows its a tight one, don't think it can be called with confidence.

I think it will be difficult for Bradley to win. With all recent scandals surrounding Tour de France winners who knows if his victories still stand in a few years time.
I think it will be between Jess and Mo, and I think Jess will win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom