• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
9.5lbs of pork shoulder sitting in brine, getting up at 0400 tomorrow to start the coals, soak the wood and smoke that sumbitch. Gives me an excuse to get up from my desk every hour. Going to smoke it 9ish hours and then finish it in the oven. I want to just smoke through until dinner time, but I'm not sure it would be done (or that I have enough wood!)

it most likely will not be done in 9 hours unless you wrap it in foil. When I have done unwrapped pork butts its about 14 hours or so. Plus don't forget rest time, for a big hunk of meat it really should rest for an hour if not more.

also internet high five, ill be doing a pork butt tomorrow as well.

Paskil

I have an 18 pound brisket to smoke this weekend. Pictures to come. It's bigger than I would normally go (10-14) but the relatively uniform thickness and the fat cap pulled me in. I'm going for broke, this time. Last time I made brisket, the point turned out really well, but I pulled the flat too soon and it was a little tough. This time, I'll split the sucker if only one part is done. Also going to do a pork shoulder for a coworker. My last two pork shoulders were perfection. The bone slid out like it wasn't even attached.

Pretty excited.

MRSA

Banned
Of course. The problem being that the cut of meat I want is most often sold as corned beef. Most butchers will sell it already cured and don't sell just a regular brisket cut. As someone else on another forum found out:

Most butchers if you call and order in advance will get that cut to you.

Anybody tried doing brisket hot and fast?

otapnam

I have an 18 pound brisket to smoke this weekend. Pictures to come. It's bigger than I would normally go (10-14) but the relatively uniform thickness and the fat cap pulled me in. I'm going for broke, this time. Last time I made brisket, the point turned out really well, but I pulled the flat too soon and it was a little tough. This time, I'll split the sucker if only one part is done. Also going to do a pork shoulder for a coworker. My last two pork shoulders were perfection. The bone slid out like it wasn't even attached.

Pretty excited.

Are you going to do a long rest?

I may be doing 2 briskets in a few weeks for a family thing. Had bought a new cooler recently to act as the warmer

Too many unknown variables here. What time is it needed? How much does it weigh? What are you smoking it on?

just scroll up, there's lots of information on briskets from myself and others.

Freezing is like any other meat, let it cool off, wrap it in something to protect it and put it in the freezer.

Thanks for the replies guys, I actually got too distracted with smoking meat and cutting grass to check back in. I figured it out though. Texas Crutch saved me 3-4 hours AND I took my first stab at burnt ends. They came out pretty decent though I know next time I'll rock 'em properly.

jchap

This may come off as sacrilege to the BBQ purists but I tried something new out of necessity and it turned out great! Was at the megamart yesterday and saw that they had brisket flat's marked down to next to nothing. It was late and after work so I knew I didn't have time to properly smoke the thing but I got it anyways because a) it was cheap and b) I love brisket more than any other cut. When I got home I seasoned it with black pepper and salt and threw it on the smoker at 7:00 PM. At midnight I decided to pull it off. Normally I wouldn't even wrap a brisket until 7 or 8 hours but I didn't have the time or patience to babysit the smoker all night so I vacuum sealed the half cooked brisket and put it in the immersion circulator at 155F. Today when I got home it had been in the water bath for 20 hours. I took it out and put it in a 250 oven to dry out the bark. The texture of the thing is so spot on. Very moist and tender (especially for the inferior quality of the meat). The downside is that I prefer my meat a little more smokey than what I got out of only 5 hours. Still it was damn good for an unattended weeknight cook.

Paskil

Are you going to do a long rest?

I may be doing 2 briskets in a few weeks for a family thing. Had bought a new cooler recently to act as the warmer

I usually foil it up and put it in a cooler, wrapped in towels for two hours. This time, I think I will separate the point when it's ready and cube it for burnt ends. I will likely only rest the flat for two hours.

captive

BBQ pron

after a few hours on

After 8 or so hours and put in foil.

It was at 173 internal after I took it off the egg and put it in foil. After putting it in foil it took maybe an hour and a half to get to 194 where I took it off. 3 hours rest in the oven and another 30 uncovered and it was still quite warm when I pulled it. Probably would have taken another 4 or 5 hours to get through the stall.

Pulled

Paskil

BBQ pron

after a few hours on

After 8 or so hours and put in foil.

It was at 173 internal after I took it off the egg and put it in foil. After putting it in foil it took maybe an hour and a half to get to 194 where I took it off. 3 hours rest in the oven and another 30 uncovered and it was still quite warm when I pulled it. Probably would have taken another 4 or 5 hours to get through the stall.

Pulled

The things I would do to that bark. I'm getting more and more hyped for my brisket this weekend. I'm making a shoulder for a coworker since she helps me out and I will shred it for her before bringing it to her Monday. She won't notice if I nip away a few pieces of bark...

Paskil

It's smoking day, GAF. Happy Saturday! Hope I'm not the only one. Just popped in my brisket and a pork shoulder for a coworker. The rub I mixed up had to be stretched a bit since I was guesstimating how much I would need. I think I ended up trimming at least 2 pounds of fat from the brisket. Hoping for a uniform cook. My last shoulder took around 16 hours. I expect the brisket to take less since it isn't as thick and I imagine I will be pulling it at some point to separate the point and flat.

6EWXYcQh.jpg

And yes, each time I smoke, my want of a legit charcoal smoker or BGE increases. Think I might take the plunge on a BGE at some point next year, but currently funding fulltime school out of pocket without loans, sooooooooooo yeah.

Paskil

Brisket and pork shoulder. Took about 18 hours total. My brother also got a package of brats and a whole chicken. First time smoking brats (funny since I'm from Wisconsin) and they were really good. Brisket turned out phenomenal, except I forgot smoked paprika in my rub. Flat was actually done first, although when I pulled it, I was able to cube the point for the burnt ends. The shoulder almost fell apart when I pulled it out. Bone pulled out like it had never been attached. Can't wait to eat dinner tonight and brisket sandwiches for lunch this coming week.

Pork looks dry, but that is only the light.

Have you tried the Stubbs briquettes yet?
Yes, I used them when I smoked ribs. They definitely smell more cleaner than regular blue bag Kingsford. Since they are more expensive and all natural, I'm going to use Stubbs for smoking where flavor really matters, and Kingsford for grilling because it's consistent and cheap.

zbarron

Yes, I used them when I smoked ribs. They definitely smell more cleaner than regular blue bag Kingsford. Since they are more expensive and all natural, I'm going to use Stubbs for smoking where flavor really matters, and Kingsford for grilling because it's consistent and cheap.

How much is charcoal around you? I get a 15lb bag of Stubbs for $8.44 at Walmart and they charge $8.97 for Kingsford. The only reason I am using Kingsford currently is there was essentially a buy one get one sale on the blue bag so I stocked up on enough to last the season. Come next spring, I'm switching back to Stubbs. I very much prefer it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Captive, I sent you a PM about it, but you may be as bad about PMs as I am. HEB has pork butt on sale again for 1.00/pound. Not sure how long it lasts though.

As for me, I did pulled pork and ribs over the weekend. Pulled pork was perfect, the ribs were great until I sauced them. I got distracted and the sauce was on too long. it basically burned instead of caramelizing. First time I let that happen and I was NOT pleased. I was taking them for a tailgate and the people actually liked it. I hated it and was not happy about it at all.

Awesome, I can't wait to try out a bag, but I most likely won't be smoking anything until Thanksgiving, unfortunately.

Captive, I sent you a PM about it, but you may be as bad about PMs as I am. HEB has pork butt on sale again for 1.00/pound. Not sure how long it lasts though.

Did that start over the weekend? I hope the deal is still there, I like stocking up on some pork butts.

captive

Did that start over the weekend? I hope the deal is still there, I like stocking up on some pork butts.

the deals are usually Thursday to Thursday.

I bought the one pictured above last Monday at 1.27lb then saw the 1.00 butts on Thursday, not happy. Not that big of a deal though.

DrSlek

My Slow 'n' Sear has arrived. It is time to prepare for my first smoking.
What should a complete novice know? Any particular recommended dry rubs I should use on beef brisket?

zbarron

What should a complete novice know? Any particular recommended dry rubs I should use on beef brisket?

You're doing brisket for your first time? I hear pork shoulder is recommended since it is much more forgiving.

I'm still a novice myself but my suggestion is don't stress too much on hitting exactly 225 or whatever temperature you are going for. Just keep in in the range. Smoking is supposed to be relaxing and fun.

Definitely take pictures.

Specifically about the Slow n Sear - be super careful pouring the water into it. I almost felt like I needed full arm protection because the water splashes up very high.

I think next time I'll pour it in earlier than the directions say so the metal isn't so hot when it's time for the water.

Anything else I can say about the SnS is very positive. It's an amazing device for holding 225 for several hours.

Curious what kind of wood you're planning on using for brisket?

captive

Thanks ernie for the recipe. I ended up winging it between a couple of recipes.

Bacon wrapped smoked meatloaf.

I also made moink balls, my 1 year old son loves them.

DrSlek

Specifically about the Slow n Sear - be super careful pouring the water into it. I almost felt like I needed full arm protection because the water splashes up very high.

I think next time I'll pour it in earlier than the directions say so the metal isn't so hot when it's time for the water.

Anything else I can say about the SnS is very positive. It's an amazing device for holding 225 for several hours.

Curious what kind of wood you're planning on using for brisket?

I've decided on hickory. I've got plenty of cherry and apple wood thanks to some unwanted trees in my back yard, but according to what I've read fruit woods are too mild for beef.

I've decided on hickory. I've got plenty of cherry and apple wood thanks to some unwanted trees in my back yard, but according to what I've read fruit woods are too mild for beef.

If you want a more mild smoke, fruit woods work pretty well actually.

Hickory / Mesquite is what we use for brisket usually, but I often throw in a couple cherry chips since our BBQ sauce is sweet just to get all fancy.

mcfrank

Here we go with the first smoke at the house I just bought.

2 smokers
30lbs Brisket
20lbs Pulled Pork
5 Racks of Ribs
32 Sausages
50 friends/family

gWPIcY5.jpg

Here we go with the first smoke at the house I just bought.

2 smokers
30lbs Brisket
20lbs Pulled Pork
5 Racks of Ribs
32 Sausages
50 friends/family

gWPIcY5.jpg

Hell yeah mcfrank, going hard! let us know how you go. Are you burning logs? Should get an old weber to use as a firepit to feed those suckers right in the middle there. Great to get logs burnt down to control heat.

Smithy C

I'm a vegetarian but every time I see this thread pop up I like seeing all the pictures of the stuff you guys make.

You're making it real hard to stay vegetarian, guys.

DOWN

Banned
Hey just found this thread and not to post sacrilege but what do you guys think of Wendy's pulled pork sandwich?

And what's your favorite BBQ chips? I'm loving Cape Cod varieties the most lately, and these are the greatest I've ever had:

cape-cod-bbq-ranch-e1425034796395.jpg

andycapps

Hey just found this thread and not to post sacrilege but what do you guys think of Wendy's pulled pork sandwich?

And what's your favorite BBQ chips? I'm loving Cape Cod varieties the most lately, and these are the greatest I've ever had:

cape-cod-bbq-ranch-e1425034796395.jpg

I would never even try something like that. It's precooked, probably presauced, etc. No thank you.

Those chips look good though, never had them.

zbarron

Pulled pork on home made buns w/ home made fries.

That looks phenomenal. If you don't mind sharing, what recipe did you use for the bun? Also what seasoning is that on the fries? I make fries more often than I should but I usually just use fine sea salt and maybe a spray bottle full of malt vinegar.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
That looks phenomenal. If you don't mind sharing, what recipe did you use for the bun? Also what seasoning is that on the fries? I make fries more often than I should but I usually just use fine sea salt and maybe a spray bottle full of malt vinegar.

Sure :

Recipe for buns : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ace-TXcX6GY (I used 350F not 375F)

foil rings : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xvTAeA3MXM (use the heavy duty foil )

If you want them soft and airy like a bakery you need to bake in a humid oven and as soon as they are done cover them with foil and let them cool.

For the fries I just seasoned with salt and pepper

Icefire1424

Crud, now I really, really want some pulled pork. Thanks BBQ Gaf. (Since I either have to wait for the weekend to let the smoker do its thing all day, or give in and resort to (*gasp) the Crock Pot method).

zbarron

Sure :
If you want them soft and airy like a bakery you need to bake in a humid oven and as soon as they are done cover them with foil and let them cool.

For the fries I just seasoned with salt and pepper
Thanks.

This isn't traditional BBQ but I grilled pizza for the first time tonight.

I used a Smokey Joe Silver filled with a chimney of Kingsford Blue. I then placed three chunks of apple wood on top, put the grate on and put a 12" cast iron pizza pan on the grate.
22302126022_7ec5819088_b.jpg

The top half was my first batch. I built the pizza on the peel and transfered it to the pan. The pan was smoking hot but the dome temperature so to speak was extremely lacking. I don't know if the 12" pan blocked too much air in my 14.5" grill or if it was too close to the charcoal and was suffocating it.

The bottom half I flipped after about a minute and then covered with sauce and cheese and cooked until the cheese was melted.

They both cooked through which I was concerned about but in a taste test the bottom won hands down. They both distinctly had an apple wood smoke taste to them which was different but not bad by any means.

dity

Hi everyone, I made a random topic in OT some days ago about wanting to get into BBQing (or grilling, still sort of confused about which it is I was wanting to do) and last night I did it.

I have this little tiny BBQ. I bought some Redlights charcoal, a BBQ lighter, some fire starter cube things, and some kindling.

It took me a long time to understand how the charcoal worked. My partner thought it needed to be a roaring fire type thing, but that destroyed some sausages, so we let the charcoal just burn for a while until they turned sort of grey and red-ish. Took way more fire lighter cubes than it should have but eventually I got it going. After that we cooked 4 sausages, some chicken and vegetable skewers, and some lamb. We were out there eating, drinking, and cooking for like two hours. It was so much fun.

Eventually I'll upgrade to a full on big BBQ, but for now this tiny one is nice.

captive

billeh

Just bought a Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"! Heard it was pretty good for beginners. Any essentials that a total newb would overlook?

Want to grab one of those wireless thermometers with diodes for the meats as well as grill temp so I can monitor it while I'm working around the house if need be. Not sure which is the best quality/$.

Top Bottom