• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Irobot82

Now that's a Thanksgiving dinner I could get behind.

My wife works evening/nights, she's working Thanksgiving this year so we aren't in the festive mood for all the traditional stuff. So Friday night/Saturday morning I'll be smoking it all up and we'll just have a BBQ feast. I might try smoking some taters too.

ColdPizza

Banned
My wife works evening/nights, she's working Thanksgiving this year so we aren't in the festive mood for all the traditional stuff. So Friday night/Saturday morning I'll be smoking it all up and we'll just have a BBQ feast. I might try smoking some taters too.

I suggest if you do just the breast, to roll it up in a cylinder and tie it...or get 2 smaller breasts and roll it up and tie it, whatever you can get as close to a cylinder shape as possible for more even cooking. I'd also recommend brining it.

Irobot82

I suggest if you do just the breast, to roll it up in a cylinder and tie it...or get 2 smaller breasts and roll it up and tie it, whatever you can get as close to a cylinder shape as possible for more even cooking. I'd also recommend brining it.

I've yet to brine anything. What kind of solution do you recommend?

DrSlek

Okay, so I just hit the 4 hour mark. Wrapped the pork shoulder in foil at 73.3C (164f in freedom units). Sprinkled a little apple juice and brown sugar on top as well for some added sweetness in the end product.

Should hopefully be ready to come off the weber in 2-3 hours. I've been so distracted with trying to maintain a stable temp that I've forgot to take any photos. I'll remember to post one of the finished product.

I had the best pork chops I've ever had the other night. Just over an inch thick, bone-in and rubbed at 400 for 3 minutes per side, then close it up with a very liberal coating of orange pineapple jalepeno jelly and let it rest for 2 minutes. Divine. If you don't have any pepper jelly, I'd recommend it. There's some great stuff online / at craft fairs.

DrSlek

SUCCESS! Delicious, moist pulled pork!

Qra3ehM.jpg

ag-my001

Did a trial run a few weeks ago to plan for today. Turkey will go on around 2, should be ready in plenty of time for a 5:30/6 meal.

mcfrank

My mother in law insisted on a traditional oven roasted turkey this year rather than a smoked brisket like have done the last 5 years. Makes me very sad.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Little late, but remember to brine your turkeys!

My mother in law insisted on a traditional oven roasted turkey this year rather than a smoked brisket like have done the last 5 years. Makes me very sad.

Sometimes you gotta put your foot down... And have your wife put her mom in her place. Lol

I'm at my in-laws in new York, they don't own a smoker, but we did convince mother in law to brine the turkey. We did a brined and smoked one last year on the egg and even my mom said it was some of the best poultry she's had.

NysGAF

I have my turkey on. 2 hours of smoking is done and about an hour left (minimum) at 325. Did a trial run in the summer and it was delicious. High expectations for today, plus the added pressure of the mother-in-law who never likes any meat she doesn't cook herself.

Just did a 6lb breast since there weren't may of us. This thing looks so small on this plate and the cell cam ain't helping. Been doing this on the Egg for the last 4-5 years or so. No brine, olive oil and a little rub on the skin = money. Used pecan for the wood. Yes, I have a Thermapen and don't go by the pop-out thing. That's a large serving plate, really.

22710225873_371a367bf8_z.jpg

captive

We did that 2 years ago but didn't have the sense to realize you couldn't use the juice to make Gravy in that case. Everyone gravied up their food before we figured it out. Funny and terrible.
Oh god. Oh dear god. That's awful.

ag-my001

We did that 2 years ago but didn't have the sense to realize you couldn't use the juice to make Gravy in that case. Everyone gravied up their food before we figured it out. Funny and terrible.
Eh, I like the extra salt, and it makes the dressing excellent. But yes, moderation is important.

rothgar

Par of my Black Friday haul is a Masterbuilt electric smoker. My smoking experiments will start as soon as it's delivered. I'm a total newbie to this and pretty excited to start some ribs and brisket.

ag-my001

Par of my Black Friday haul is a Masterbuilt electric smoker. My smoking experiments will start as soon as it's delivered. I'm a total newbie to this and pretty excited to start some ribs and brisket.
Start with ribs or pork shoulder.

Save the brisket money until you know how everything works.

And congrats, welcome to the BBQ club.

DrSlek

I didn't sleep between Saturday and Sunday so I could serve pulled pork for lunch on Sunday.

It may have been a mistake. I slept for 14 hours on Sunday night, and I'm at work now....and I'm still exhausted. The sacrifices I make for good food...

ColdPizza

Banned
I didn't sleep between Saturday and Sunday so I could serve pulled pork for lunch on Sunday.

It may have been a mistake. I slept for 14 hours on Sunday night, and I'm at work now....and I'm still exhausted. The sacrifices I make for good food...

Get a wireless thermometer with dual probes and alarm so you can sleep.

captive

Or do it the day before you want it. IMO Leftover brisket and pulled pork taste exactly the same as fresh out of resting after coming off the pit.

for brisket I put it in a pyrex with beef broth and cover with foil, put in the oven at 325 for about an hour and its great. More less the same thing with pulled pork, just with the natural juices from the butt.

ColdPizza

Banned
Or do it the day before you want it. IMO Leftover brisket and pulled pork taste exactly the same as fresh out of resting after coming off the pit.

for brisket I put it in a pyrex with beef broth and cover with foil, put in the oven at 325 for about an hour and its great. More less the same thing with pulled pork, just with the natural juices from the butt.

I get this sentiment, but you lose a little bit if you care about presentation when it comes to pulling and slicing in front of guests.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
If you foil the food you can always put it in the oven when you foil. You're not getting any smoke to the meat anyways after it's wrapped. A good friend of mine will smoke large briskets for 8-10 hours, wrap, refrigerate overnight and finish cooking for a few hours the next day on a propane grill still wrapped. He has been turning out consistent results that way for years.

captive

I get this sentiment, but you lose a little bit if you care about presentation when it comes to pulling and slicing in front of guests.

so do what applesauce said, the key being not losing sleep over something that's going to taste and look the same just about anyway you do it.

DrSlek

Same one I'm using, it's great.

I don't think Amazon Australia has anything like that. eBay wasn't that much better either. I could buy it from Amazon in the US, but I'd still be looking at $100+ thanks to postage and exchange rate stuff.

Looks like there's some on ebay that'll put you right under $100 shipped to Australia.

captive

h-town Gaf, HEB has pork butts for 88cents a lb and brisket for $1.95/lb

for those doing the traditional beef rib roast Kroker has it for 4.49/lb

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Yeah I just picked up 2 since that's the limit. I'll go back and get 2 more a couple of times.

You can never have too much pork.

ag-my001

h-town Gaf, HEB has pork butts for 88cents a lb and brisket for $1.95/lb

for those doing the traditional beef rib roast Kroker has it for 4.49/lb
I was in Houston a few months back and saw a similar price. Best brisket price I can find around home is nearly $5/lb, so I took a picture. No one has price matched it, sadly.

Top Bottom