• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

ColdPizza

Banned
I ordered a 14 kg piglett, but got a 28 kg pig.

I *did* fit and turned out awesome.. :p

hq

What time/temp did you do on this? I'm just curious because every time I do a pig roast the pig is splayed so it's cooking in one night even layer. Just worried because it's folded like this that the center isn't really cooking at the same rate as everything else.

I went to college in charleston for 2008-2012 and was honestly disappointed with the bbq options. there's home team bbq which is the best bbq that's close to downtown imo unless some new stuff opened up. it's nothing too special though but everything's good. their chicken and wings are really good. the best bbq near charleston that I've had was JB's smokeshack but that's on john's island which can be a drive depending on where you're coming from. avoid jim-n-nick's or whatever it's named now.

I'm actually staying on an island off Johns Island so JB's sounds like the winner. Thanks for responding.

mnannola

Going to stick a 12 pound pork butt on the smoker tomorrow morning. Will be having BBQ, homebrew and HTC Vive party tomorrow since the Vive shows up today (Fedex don't fuck me). Should be glorious.

Liljagare

What time/temp did you do on this? I'm just curious because every time I do a pig roast the pig is splayed so it's cooking in one night even layer. Just worried because it's folded like this that the center isn't really cooking at the same rate as everything else.

It did turn out amazing, but had to hide the head from the kids. :)

I started cooking at 5 AM, the pig was almost at 15 celsius then, and the core was 82 celcius at 1700, so I did it in 12 hours, at about 160, indirect heat, just shuffling coals in the sideburner, and mounted a fan because I knew it wouldn't cook otherwise, in the side vent.

I usually tend to cook smaller pieces, but this was actually fun to do. :p And since it was 28 kg's, I thought I would have lunchboxes for the spring, but, 12 people devoured it during the course of the evening. :0

All I was left with was the head and trotters.

zbarron

As they said Weber Kettle Premium. I got one a couple months ago and smoke a ton on it using the fuse method. I'm probably getting the slow n sear for father's day. Both are well within your budget.

Anyone here make beef jerky on the smoker? Do I just cook it until it's the right texture? I don't have a cold smoking setup and would like the meat to be cooked.

zbarron

I have two decent sized pork shoulder steaks I was planning on smoking but it's raining and my thermometer broke. Any one know the best way to make pulled pork with them in the oven? I was thinking of throwing them on a rack over a sheet pan at 225*F and wrapping when they stall. I could then crisp the edges a bit with the broiler.

This sound good?

ColdPizza

Banned
I have two decent sized pork shoulder steaks I was planning on smoking but it's raining and my thermometer broke. Any one know the best way to make pulled pork with them in the oven? I was thinking of throwing them on a rack over a sheet pan at 225*F and wrapping when they stall. I could then crisp the edges a bit with the broiler.

This sound good?

I'd do like 200...will take longer, but you can be assured the meat temp never goes over 200...lol

Also slower breakdown of the fats/collagens.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Made some BBQ chicken two weekends in a row.

and a BBQ Raspberry chipotle pork loin roast, brined, rubbed, smoked for 1.5 hours then put chipotle sauce and broil for 5-10 minutes in the oven.

zbarron

I'd do like 200...will take longer, but you can be assured the meat temp never goes over 200...lol

Also slower breakdown of the fats/collagens.
Thanks. It's in at 200 with a cast iron pizza pan on the bottom shelf to help regulate the temperature. At the moment it's at 140. It seems like it should be done in the perfect amount of time. When it hits 160 I'll wrap it up for an hour and let it finish for at least an hour unwrapped. I know it's heresy around here but I might toss a splash of liquid smoke in the finished pulled pork.

I'll post tasting results.

Made some BBQ chicken two weekends in a row.

and a BBQ Raspberry chipotle pork loin roast, brined, rubbed, smoked for 1.5 hours then put chipotle sauce and broil for 5-10 minutes in the oven.
[/URL]
Those look delicious. What temperature did you do your chicken at?

captive

Thanks. It's in at 200 with a cast iron pizza pan on the bottom shelf to help regulate the temperature. At the moment it's at 140. It seems like it should be done in the perfect amount of time. When it hits 160 I'll wrap it up for an hour and let it finish for at least an hour unwrapped. I know it's heresy around here but I might toss a splash of liquid smoke in the finished pulled pork.

Those look delicious. What temperature did you do your chicken at?

i cook chicken right at ~290 degrees. I found doing it at 325 or hotter the skin starts to either break all over or get burned and you have to tinfoil, but at just under 300 you dont have to tinfoil.

ColdPizza

Banned

Will be interesting to see how it reacts to the stall around 170, the foil should help with that. Did you put any rub on it etc? I'm curious how a heat only application will do for a bark.

zbarron

Will be interesting to see how it reacts to the stall around 170, the foil should help with that. Did you put any rub on it etc? I'm curious how a heat only application will do for a bark.
The stall should be identical if not longer since the lower the temperature the longer the stall. That's why I'll be foiling. As for the bark I am expecting it to turn out similar to a gas/electric smoker except maybe a little lighter without the smoke. The pellicle should still form and the sugars should still caramelize if I finish it under the broiler. I used Weber's Dry Smoking Rub. I'm doing keto right now so counting the carbs. Luckily each steak should only end up with about 4g carbs and I'll be eating about half a steak I think.

turns out my oven method is very similar to oven smoking. The only difference is I was supposed to put some wood chips and water in the bottom of the pan and then tent foil tightly over it all. I'll have to try that come cold weather.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I ordered a 14 kg piglett, but got a 28 kg pig.

I *did* fit and turned out awesome.. :p

hq

I hope you don't mind, but I just set this as my cover photo on Facebook.

My Weber is going to be here tomorrow and I think the first thing I want to make on it is some chicken wings. Fogo de Chao has INCREDIBLE chicken drummies and want to use their recipe. Problem is, I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have any tips on how I could go about finding it? My Google-fu is failing me today. All I can find is that they marinate it in a marinade that contains beer and brandy for 24 hrs, but I don't know what else is involved.

zbarron

The pork in the oven was a complete failure. Even after 8 hours it didn't pass 170. I had to turn the heat way up which really dried it out and I still didn't get it to hit 190 by dinner. Bad meal.

I just picked up an iGrill 2 from Sam's club for $39.91 (YMMV) This is the model that comes with 4 probes instead of the normal 2. They don't ship but I called my store and they had several in stock at that price so I jumped on it. Anyone here interested in graphs of my next smoke? iGrill has a nice graphing feature to show how well or poorly I am maintaining my temperature.

26859118970_1155e206dc_z.jpg

All set up for indirect grilling tonight.

Not sure if it was posted yet, but Lowe's has a deal on a 2 Pack of 18.6lb Kingford Blue Bag for $9.88. Not a bad deal, limit 2 per purchase.

gruenel

Got an 18" WSM as a birthday present from my parents. This thing is amazing. Really easy to set up and the temperature is rock steady.

I used it to make some ribs last weekend for a bunch of friends. Here they are after 3 hours:

They were so good. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the finished ribs because we couldn't wait to eat :)

I'm gonna try to make pulled pork this weekend if the weather is fine.

BBQ is life.

Hello! I have a general cooking question I was hoping you could help with.

Normally I get a 3 pound pork roast, rub it and then cook it in the over at 250 for 2 hours a pound and it turns out great.

Well they had a weird sale at the store, buy 1 get 1 free. So instead, today I have two 1.5 pound roasts. They are going to cook side by side so do I need to cook them like it's one 3 pounder or can I set the time for a 1.5 pound cook and have them cook correctly because it's not all one big piece?

Thanks!

zbarron

Got an 18" WSM as a birthday present from my parents. This thing is amazing. Really easy to set up and the temperature is rock steady.

I used it to make some ribs last weekend for a bunch of friends. Here they are after 3 hours:

They were so good. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the finished ribs because we couldn't wait to eat :)

I'm gonna try to make pulled pork this weekend if the weather is fine.

BBQ is life.
Congrats and happy birthday. That's a hell of a gift. How did the ribs compare to the kettle?

Hello! I have a general cooking question I was hoping you could help with.

Normally I get a 3 pound pork roast, rub it and then cook it in the over at 250 for 2 hours a pound and it turns out great.

Well they had a weird sale at the store, buy 1 get 1 free. So instead, today I have two 1.5 pound roasts. They are going to cook side by side so do I need to cook them like it's one 3 pounder or can I set the time for a 1.5 pound cook and have them cook correctly because it's not all one big piece?

Thanks!
It should in theory be slightly over the time for 1.5lbs. It's less thick so it needs less energy or the heat to travel all the way to the center.

That said you shouldn't be going by time but rather temperature or preferably feel. Are you making pulled pork? You should test it by sticking a fork in and twisting.

nin1000

Banned
Hi there fellow GAF-fers ! grill Noob speaking here.
I had the idea to make some spare ribs at my girlfriends place. Considering i NEVER made pare ribs or any other BBQ this will be my first try to get into the BBQ-world.

First off some questions.
One of my fathers friends is an American ( i am Chilean living in Germany ) and he said you have to boil the ribs in order to get them real tender., is it really true ? as i heard from different internet sources that this is not the case.

I will be using this Weber Grill to try the ribs out. its using gas.
img20140902wat16cogmxzw.jpg

How long do i have to grill them ?
Again i am sorry for asking but this is like my first try to grill BBQ and i heard that the grilling phase can take from 30 minutes up to 6 hours. How shall i do the ribs them ? 20 minutes or 6 hours ? and at what temperature?

Next question will be regarding the actual sauce.
I want to try to make it myself and not use bought BBQ sauce. Is that the best idea for a BBQ-Noob or shall i stick to the bought BBQ sauce? And if , can you guys suggest me some good recipes ?
I also heard that it is very important to season the Meat beforehand ( removing the membrane in order for it to take full effect) and at the end of the grilling phase, how often should i brush the meat with the sauce ?

I know those are a lot of questions but i want to make this right and finally try to BBQ and BBQ the right way :)

Thanks in advance and have a good day guys !

Hello Again BBQ gaf its this time of the year and i am using this baby once again.
Just wanted to ask the experienced players here how to prepare some good BBQ.
I intended again to do some babyback ribs aswell as a slow roasted pork.

What are your suggestions for this kind of grill. What would be the best BBQ experience :).

Congrats and happy birthday. That's a hell of a gift. How did the ribs compare to the kettle?

It should in theory be slightly over the time for 1.5lbs. It's less thick so it needs less energy or the heat to travel all the way to the center.

That said you shouldn't be going by time but rather temperature or preferably feel. Are you making pulled pork? You should test it by sticking a fork in and twisting.

I always test it before pulling it but I really wanted to know how the separate pieces would effect cooking time. I cooked it last night so I went with 3.5 hours for the two pieces and that worked out well. It tore apart very nice and I got a good dressing with Rice vinegar and hotsauce.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Post Pics Damnit...how am I supposed to climax using only my imagination?
But thank you for the recipe

Whoops! I only took one pic and it didn't turn out great, but here you go.

I actually made two batches of the wings. Half them went in the sous vide at 160° for a couple hrs and then finished on the grill. The other half were cooked on the grill from start to finish (these are the wings shown in the picture). I apparently didn't use enough charcoal and didn't get the grill hot enough, so the skin wasn't quite as crispy as I would have liked on the sous vide wings, but I didn't want to leave them on too much longer and overcook the meat.

The meat was better on the sous vide batch, but the skin was better on the fully grilled batch. Once I get the grill hotter, I think I'll get the perfect combo. Flavor on both was tremendous.

New deck, new grill.

It's BBQ time.

Got this grill installed last week. Finally being able to use it! Was missing a natural gas connector.

giphy.gif

Whoops! I only took one pic and it didn't turn out great, but here you go.

I actually made two batches of the wings. Half them went in the sous vide at 160° for a couple hrs and then finished on the grill. The other half were cooked on the grill from start to finish (these are the wings shown in the picture). I apparently didn't use enough charcoal and didn't get the grill hot enough, so the skin wasn't quite as crispy as I would have liked on the sous vide wings, but I didn't want to leave them on too much longer and overcook the meat.

The meat was better on the sous vide batch, but the skin was better on the fully grilled batch. Once I get the grill hotter, I think I'll get the perfect combo. Flavor on both was tremendous.

Awwwwww yissss..... I've yet to try sous vide... is the meat juicier?

any suggestions for a good baby back and pulled pork reciepe ?

Really comes down to rub and wood. Some people foil, some don't. One popular choice is Car Wash Mike's ribs:
http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com

Also, some don't sauce during the cook. Look up 3-2-1 ribs for another option.

Pork butt is about the same as far as rub and wood. The sauce is where the fights begin: mustard, vinegar, KC-style, etc.

I enjoy Meat Church rubs for ribs and butt. Plenty of options. Try different cooks and you'll figure out what you like. Ribs are good because you can put a different rub on each rack.

mcfrank

any suggestions for a good baby back and pulled pork reciepe ?

For my pulled pork I use a 50/50 mix of brown sugar and http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ODE4F8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Rubbed on at least 24 hours prior to smoking.

Smoke on the wood of your choice at 225 - 275 until the internal temp hit 200 (probably 90 minutes/lb but it could be different)

Wrap in foil and rest for 1 - 2 hours in a pre warmed cooler

Shred pork, mix with 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup bbq sauce of your choice

Eat.

I like mine with some pickled vegetables on top.

zbarron

New deck, new grill.

It's BBQ time.
Very nice. Looks great. We've been eating dinner on the deck most warm nights. there's something great about eating outside.

I like the PK. I don't see those very often. If this is your first cook on it please give impressions.
Got this grill installed last week. Finally being able to use it! Was missing a natural gas connector.
Nice. If I had the gas hooked up to a natural gas line I'm not sure if I'd cook indoors in the summer.

I grabbed one of these for my iGrill 2. Well worth the $5. It really makes the ambient probe more convenient.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Very nice. Looks great. We've been eating dinner on the deck most warm nights. there's something great about eating outside.

I like the PK. I don't see those very often. If this is your first cook on it please give impressions.

On a whim I ended up breaking it in Saturday evening with a few ribeyes for friends and family. I used 1/3 the coals I previously used on my old grill. You read about it maintaining temps well but I couldn't believe how well it held the heat. I decided to grill corn on the cob at the end and even had time to throw on some pineapple.

Sunday I tried my hand at smoking a couple of whole chickens indirectly. It held 250 almost exactly for over 3 hours with little to no adjustments. Beginners luck I guess. After 3 hours I needed to adjust the vents and at some point after that I added a few more coals. I completely failed at taking pics but they both turned out tender and just smokey enough. If I had to do it again I'd have liked them a bit more mesquite if that's the right term.

There's no ash catcher but the grill is still super easy to clean and I've yet to see a flare up. So far I'm really happy with it.

gruenel

Thanks! I can't say they tasted much different compared to the kettle, but the setup and cooking process was much easier. And of course I can fit much more stuff on there.

nin1000

Banned
For my pulled pork I use a 50/50 mix of brown sugar and http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ODE4F8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Rubbed on at least 24 hours prior to smoking.

Smoke on the wood of your choice at 225 - 275 until the internal temp hit 200 (probably 90 minutes/lb but it could be different)

Wrap in foil and rest for 1 - 2 hours in a pre warmed cooler

Shred pork, mix with 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup bbq sauce of your choice

Eat.

I like mine with some pickled vegetables on top.

How much pork would be appropriate for 2 persons ? I am also using a weber Grill. How can i check the internat temp, since i lack a thermometer ( total begginner ).
Regarding the Cooler thing. Could an oven be used for this ?

EDIT: LOL i just realized that it should be put in an actual Cooler. english is one hell of a language lol

zbarron

How much pork would be appropriate for 2 persons ? I am also using a weber Grill. How can i check the internat temp, since i lack a thermometer ( total begginner ).

EDIT: LOL i just realized that it should be put in an actual Cooler. english is one hell of a language lol
For one meal no leftovers I'd say about 2 pounds but you're not going to find a pork butt that small. I make one and then use leftovers throughout the week. It's good with eggs, good on tacos, nachos, pizza etc.

Does your grill have a built in dome thermometer? It's not ideal but better than nothing. What smoking method were you planning on using? I'm a big fan of the fuse method in the kettle. Before I got a probe thermometer I used a $5 oven thermometer. I put it on the opposite end of the direct heat and it gave decent grate level temperature readings. It sucks that you need to open the lid every time you check the thermometer which adds air to the coals and changes it so it's not ideal either but better than the built in thermometer.

An oven could be used to keep it warm. A cooler would be better.

nin1000

Banned
For one meal no leftovers I'd say about 2 pounds but you're not going to find a pork butt that small. I make one and then use leftovers throughout the week. It's good with eggs, good on tacos, nachos, pizza etc.

that was my plan aswell

Does your grill have a built in dome thermometer? It's not ideal but better than nothing.

i would be using this beauty

What smoking method were you planning on using?
Since it will be a Gas Grill i think Gas ?

Will try to find one :) Thanks again

zbarron

that was my plan aswell

i would be using this beauty

Since it will be a Gas Grill i think Gas ?

Will try to find one :) Thanks again

Ah. My apologies I missed your earlier post. Smoking on that thing would be a little tricky. Is it able to maintain a low and slow heat for hours on end? Definitely give it a test run before putting meat on it. Normally I do pulled pork at 225*F but from the 5 minutes of research I just did it seems the Q doesn't go below 250*F consistently. Smoking is also usually done with indirect heat and I'm not sure if that is possible on a grill that size with one burner.

nin1000

Banned
Ah. My apologies I missed your earlier post. Smoking on that thing would be a little tricky. Is it able to maintain a low and slow heat for hours on end? Definitely give it a test run before putting meat on it. Normally I do pulled pork at 225*F but from the 5 minutes of research I just did it seems the Q doesn't go below 250*F consistently. Smoking is also usually done with indirect heat and I'm not sure if that is possible on a grill that size with one burner.

Would be an Oven the better choice then ?
Can ribs on the other hand be done on it ?

captive

Does your grill have a built in dome thermometer? It's not ideal but better than nothing. What smoking method were you planning on using? I'm a big fan of the fuse method in the kettle. Before I got a probe thermometer I used a $5 oven thermometer. I put it on the opposite end of the direct heat and it gave decent grate level temperature readings. It sucks that you need to open the lid every time you check the thermometer which adds air to the coals and changes it so it's not ideal either but better than the built in thermometer.

this is the best thing about smoking meat for me. For a 8 or 9lb pork butt i literally use it for like 2+ weeks. One time i counted how many "meals" it provided for my wife and i, it was close to 30 meals between using it on potatoes, eating it by itself etc. 30 meals when the butt cost 10 bucks (when on sale) is a pretty damn good cost per meal.

mcfrank

The smallest piece of pork you are gonna find is 3-4 lbs probably.

Top Bottom