• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

ColdPizza

Banned
oh man, so the brisket turned out amazing. first packer brisket that I've done and the first overnight smoke I've done. everything went really well, I smoked consistently between 235 and 245 for 17 hours. wrapped the brisket in foil when it got to about 175 internal. took it up to 199 internal and then let it rest for about 3 hours. for the rub I just did half kosher salt half black pepper. I actually found a guy near me who has a bunch of seasoned wood so I smoked it with some oak that he had. it just went really well, no hiccups or anything and everything tasted phenomenal. the flat slices passed the pull test perfectly and the point slices were so juicy.
You stud. I did just salt & pepper and it's amazing the flavors that come out as if you added a bunch of other shit to begin with.

Ok guys, my wife and I bought a house and are all moved in. It's time to get on the grill game.

I'm eyeing two options a Weber 22 inch Kettle

or Weber Spirit E 330

We are primarily gonna use it for grilling chicken, beef, and some fish. I doubt I will jump into smoking that often, but you never know.

Reasons why I want to go gas...easier? I can get home from work and toss some protein on the grill and be eating dinner quickly. That is about it.

Reasons why I want to go charcoal, tastes better and its much cheaper.

Is the difference between gas v. charcoal that different in terms of prep, heading, cook time? Anyone around here smoke on a gas grill?

Ok guys, my wife and I bought a house and are all moved in. It's time to get on the grill game.

or Weber Spirit E 330

We are primarily gonna use it for grilling chicken, beef, and some fish. I doubt I will jump into smoking that often, but you never know.

Reasons why I want to go gas...easier? I can get home from work and toss some protein on the grill and be eating dinner quickly. That is about it.

Is the difference between gas v. charcoal that different in terms of prep, heading, cook time? Anyone around here smoke on a gas grill?

Obviously starting the coals will take some extra time. I use a chimney and get it started while I prep my food for grilling or get a few dishes done since I can watch it from my kitchen window.

It took me a year before I started smoking some pork butts. It just taste amazing. You know you'll venture into that territory soon enough.

Most on here use a weber kettle or smoker. There's a learning curve and lots of ways to cook on charcoal, so you'll find way more information in this topic on charcoal.

Charcoal grills just seem so much easier to maintain. I mean a weber kettle will work the same 5 or 25 years down the road. Just have to remove the ashes ever so often (every two or three uses). They don't die.

Made some yum yums for a friends go away dinner last sunday (yesterday):

Smoked Rib Steak, using Kansas city style rub and BBQ sauce for glazoning - I didnt end end up with a deep bark but what I did get was amazing:
iguPKUf.jpg

Made some butter milk fried chicken, on the side

Also sweet potato biscuits...

Classic thermapens are on sale (open box) $63

http://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen-Open-Box-7-2016?utm_source=Nl-2016July18&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Feature&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=July2016-Classic-Open-Box-ends-soon-cs

Just as good as the newer MK4 they just don't have the auto rotating display and backlighting.

I would have jumped on this a few months ago. As it is, I bought 2 Thermopops when they were on sale for like $17 each when buying multiples.

phanphare

Banned
You stud. I did just salt & pepper and it's amazing the flavors that come out as if you added a bunch of other shit to begin with.

it was crazy. I've never been to texas before but there are two NC joints that I've been to that have stellar brisket (midwood smokehouse in charlotte and 12 bones in asheville) and when you eat it it makes you go, "holy shit, what's in this?!?!"

turns out the answer is just good beef with salt and pepper

Ron Mexico

or Weber Spirit E 330

In almost the exact same boat. Bought a Spirit E-310 and it's been an absolute joy to cook on. The preheat times are incredible-- something like 5-6 minutes and I'm good to go. I've done beef, chicken (both wings and breasts), pork, a cedar plank salmon and more that I've already forgotten-- each one more consistent than the last.

Haven't smoked anything on it yet but I've seen tons of tips online for smoking on gas.

Only other piece of advice-- be careful when you're choosing which model. I accidentally picked up the natural gas line at first before catching the error. The models are almost too similar.

or Weber Spirit E 330

Start off with the Spirit and pick up a kettle down the road,best of both worlds. I was in this predicament very recently and ultimately I choose both for the same reasons you posted, gas is quicker for when I dont have as much time and the kettle for when I do have time and want that superior flavor. Im gonna try out some smoke boxes for my webber genesis but I know they wont compare to what the kettle will do. Cant go wrong with either choice!

Yah I think after reflecting on this we are just gonna go with the spirit for now and pick up a kettle later on. Mainly looking for something to grill up some meat's after work.

Thanks guys!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
so im still working on that brisket from the other day. I had to go out of town last week, so i froze it. But i just had a chop beef sandwhich and i put monterey jack on it, toasted buns and bbq sauce. This is a big geal for me cause im a little bit of a texas style bbq traditionalist, the only thing that goes on a chop beef sandwhich is beef and maybe bbq sauce sometimes, I see you people putting coleslaw on pulled pork, you make me want to throw my mouse at you through the monitor ;-)

ColdPizza

Banned
so im still working on that brisket from the other day. I had to go out of town last week, so i froze it. But i just had a chop beef sandwhich and i put monterey jack on it, toasted buns and bbq sauce. This is a big geal for me cause im a little bit of a texas style bbq traditionalist, the only thing that goes on a chop beef sandwhich is beef and maybe bbq sauce sometimes, I see you people putting coleslaw on pulled pork, you make me want to throw my mouse at you through the monitor ;-)

memphis style for life!

zbarron

I didn't think pulled pork was Texas style BBQ.

I'm thinking of taking some pork loin I have and smoking some char sui pork for egg rolls and pork fried rice. Anyone have experience with this? I know I'll only be taking it to about 145*F which is low for smoking and basting it in the sauce so I'm not sure how much smoke it'll absorb.

phanphare

Banned

I also oppose coleslaw on a pork sandwich, which is weird because I'm a native North Carolinian

some cider vinegar-based sauce is a must though. they always say good bbq doesn't need sauce, and that can be true, but man it's just so damn good on a pork sandwich. just a bit though.

ColdPizza

Banned
I also oppose coleslaw on a pork sandwich, which is weird because I'm a native North Carolinian

some cider vinegar-based sauce is a must though. they always say good bbq doesn't need sauce, and that can be true, but man it's just so damn good on a pork sandwich. just a bit though.

I know some people like that Carolina gold sauce, but goddamn if this other one isn't my favorite on pork.

2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, or more to taste
5 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

captive

memphis style for life!
probably the only style of bbq i haven't had yet.

I didn't think pulled pork was Texas style BBQ.
Its not, but a pulled pork sandwhich and a chop beef sandwhich are functionally almost the same. Putting coleslaw on it is just weird as all get out.

NC bbq is way to vinegar-y for me.

We should tell funny stories about bbq culture.

My wife is from new york, lived in NC and lived in tennesee and when she got here she didnt like the bbq. Of course for her BBQ in new york is hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill, which we call grilling out (yes i know there's real bbq in new york, its a saying thing). Then she tells me in NC they have hush puppies with bbq, im like wtf, in texas thats called a fish fry. You get a bunch of catfish and or shrimp, and make hush puppies and fry it all up.

LMAO

We kinda do that with our hotdogs here in Mtl, but then again our hotdogs are on the bottom of the totem pole when compared to those around the world

zbarron

Its not, but a pulled pork sandwhich and a chop beef sandwhich are functionally almost the same. Putting coleslaw on it is just weird as all get out.
They're both shoulder sure but beef has a much different stronger flavor which stands better on it's own.

Your basic sandwiches sound a little European to me. This is my kind of sandwich.
food-sandwichijuhs.png

Do any of you have a Quaker Steak & Lube near you? I just picked up some of their Buckeye BBQ sauce. It was expensive but this is my favorite BBQ sauce. It's very sweet and very spicy and has a great flavor to it. The next BBQ sauce I want to try is by Great Lakes Brewery. I'm not sure if any of you have had their beers but their Edmund Fitzgerald is in my top 3 and they made a sauce with it as the base.

phanphare

Banned
I know some people like that Carolina gold sauce, but goddamn if this other one isn't my favorite on pork.

2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, or more to taste
5 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
4 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper

yeah I'm not a big fan of the carolina gold sauce. was never a big mustard fan. that's a SC thing though. I do see it in NC occasionally.

NC bbq is way to vinegar-y for me.

We should tell funny stories about bbq culture.

My wife is from new york, lived in NC and lived in tennesee and when she got here she didnt like the bbq. Of course for her BBQ in new york is hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill, which we call grilling out (yes i know there's real bbq in new york, its a saying thing). Then she tells me in NC they have hush puppies with bbq, im like wtf, in texas thats called a fish fry. You get a bunch of catfish and or shrimp, and make hush puppies and fry it all up.

if it's too vinegary than there's too much sauce on there. just needs a little spritzing. shouldn't be making the bread damp or anything.

and yeah hush puppies are a staple bbq side here. I mean, it's basically just cornbread batter fried and cornbread is great with bbq!

captive

They're both shoulder sure but beef has a much different stronger flavor which stands better on it's own.

Your basic sandwiches sound a little European to me. This is my kind of sandwich.
food-sandwichijuhs.png

Do any of you have a Quaker Steak & Lube near you? I just picked up some of their Buckeye BBQ sauce. It was expensive but this is my favorite BBQ sauce. It's very sweet and very spicy and has a great flavor to it. The next BBQ sauce I want to try is by Great Lakes Brewery. I'm not sure if any of you have had their beers but their Edmund Fitzgerald is in my top 3 and they made a sauce with it as the base.
-_-

yeah I'm not a big fan of the carolina gold sauce. was never a big mustard fan. that's a SC thing though. I do see it in NC occasionally.

if it's too vinegary than there's too much sauce on there. just needs a little spritzing. shouldn't be making the bread damp or anything.

and yeah hush puppies are a staple bbq side here. I mean, it's basically just cornbread batter fried and cornbread is great with bbq!
i meant the BBQ sauce itself is too vinegary

zbarron

-_-

I'm just fucking around referencing this:
img_5844_156999231.jpg

It is fascinating how there are such regional differences on preferences of BBQ and how states with no BBQ identity like the one I'm in are just a hodgepodge of whatever comes this way.

I wonder how it compares with other countries. In Germany for example it seems to do with topography and their neighboring countries while here it seems more to do with what immigrants grouped in which states. I wonder if they have the same sense of friendly rivalry.

phanphare

Banned

oh yeah, that's true. for the longest time I was a vinegar based naysayer because when you put a finger in to get a taste it's not good so I just always thought I didn't like it. then I actually tried it on a pork sandwich and it was nothing short of a revelation.

There is one north of me. I must have passed it a dozen times before I figured out it's a restaurant

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I never could get behind carolina style BBQ sauce, no matter what I tried it on. I like the KC style, sweet and tangy and smoky. And I never put it on sliced brisket

BBQ sauce is one of the few things I never wanted to fuck with making myself, until a couple of months ago when I started building my own recipe and got finally got something I really like.

gruenel

Pulled pork pizza is godly. Use a provolone/mozzarella mix for maximum awesome

I saw your comment too late unfortunately, I'll try provolone next time (we used mozzarella only)!

What kind of sauce do you put on pulled pork pizza? The recipe I used has a mix of creme fraiche/BBQ sauce which was good, but I feel like there must be something better out there.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I saw your comment too late unfortunately, I'll try provolone next time (we used mozzarella only)!

What kind of sauce do you put on pulled pork pizza? The recipe I used has a mix of creme fraiche/BBQ sauce which was good, but I feel like there must be something better out there.

I'm sure it was still delicious with only moz but do try provolone you won't be disappointed. I use my homemade bbq sauce mixed with a little bit of cream cheese.

I never could get behind carolina style BBQ sauce, no matter what I tried it on. I like the KC style, sweet and tangy and smoky. And I never put it on sliced brisket

BBQ sauce is one of the few things I never wanted to fuck with making myself, until a couple of months ago when I started building my own recipe and got finally got something I really like.

I just tried kansas city style last weekend, I enjoyed immensely as well.

But Carolina sounds like my next sauce project

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I just tried kansas city style last weekend, I enjoyed immensely as well.

But Carolina sounds like my next sauce project

Don't hover too close to the pot! The last time I tried it the sting of vinegar got me so bad I inadvertently sneezed into the pot and had to pour it out.

zbarron

The pastrami I made over the weekend turned out great, a lot better than the first 2 times I made it. Took around 7 or 8 hours
That looks so delicious.

Any tips? It's next on my list of things I want to BBQ. I'm thinking of starting with a raw corned beef and soaking it in water overnight to speed up the process compared to starting with brisket.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
That looks so delicious.

Any tips? It's next on my list of things I want to BBQ. I'm thinking of starting with a raw corned beef and soaking it in water overnight to speed up the process compared to starting with brisket.

I started with this guide and then changed a few things to my liking, like less pickling spice and more garlic. I also didn't steam it, it spent 6 hours in the smoker and then about 2 in the oven, not wrapped, and got a much better and flavorful bark that way.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/home_made_corned_beef.html

Also didn't like his rub at all so I found a different and tweaked it. (The link to pastrami is in this article)

ColdPizza

Banned
Any recommended rib racks that work with a Weber smokey mountain 14.5"?

None...not unless you plan on cutting the racks in half.

Just curl them up and pin them together.

Unfortunately there aren't any pics of the 14.5" capacity, but I'm hoping you could fit 2-3 full racks on each level as such:

Below is the 18.5"

18ribs2.jpg

as you can see in the picture below, you can barely fit full racks on the 18.5"

18ribs1.jpg

None...not unless you plan on cutting the racks in half.

Just curl them up and pin them together.

Unfortunately there aren't any pics of the 14.5" capacity, but I'm hoping you could fit 2-3 full racks on each level as such:

Below is the 18.5"

18ribs2.jpg

as you can see in the picture below, you can barely fit full racks on the 18.5"

18ribs1.jpg

Oh!! I just saw that on youtube...think I might give that a try

Was googling at the same time and apparently these folks suggest a brinkman or that even a weber rack might work...whats your opinion?

Yeah, that should work...you'll still probably have to cut your racks (the ribs, not the holders, lol) in half though.

That website is a great resource for all things WSM.

Awesome....Im off to amazon then.

Btw, I found wood chunks... It took a bit of digging at the home depot but I found em

zbarron

I started with this guide and then changed a few things to my liking, like less pickling spice and more garlic. I also didn't steam it, it spent 6 hours in the smoker and then about 2 in the oven, not wrapped, and got a much better and flavorful bark that way.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/home_made_corned_beef.html
Also didn't like his rub at all so I found a different and tweaked it. (The link to pastrami is in this article)

Any tips on the rub? All the ones I'm finding online seem pretty similar. Do you just not like the traditional flavor? Tomorrow morning I'll be smoking my first pastrami. The corned beef is soaking in a pot of water tonight and I'll rub it it the morning and then smoke it. It's about 4 lbs and I'm trying to have it ready by dinner. I'm not too worried with the light weight and thinness. I'll be serving it with rye bread with caraway seeds in it and deli mustard. I should have grabbed some full sours to complete the experience but it should still be a damn good meal.
Awesome....Im off to amazon then.

Btw, I found wood chunks... It took a bit of digging at the home depot but I found em

Congrats. What kind of wood did you go for?

Also damn ColdPizza, you got yourself banned again?

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Any tips on the rub? All the ones I'm finding online seem pretty similar. Do you just not like the traditional flavor? Tomorrow morning I'll be smoking my first pastrami. The corned beef is soaking in a pot of water tonight and I'll rub it it the morning and then smoke it. It's about 4 lbs and I'm trying to have it ready by dinner. I'm not too worried with the light weight and thinness. I'll be serving it with rye bread with caraway seeds in it and deli mustard. I should have grabbed some full sours to complete the experience but it should still be a damn good meal.

I forgot which recipe I used, just pick one and go from there. Meatheads uses too much pepper in my opinion. Also, grind your own peppercorns and corriander seeds if you can, it makes a big difference.

Edit : I applied the rub the night before and let it set up overnight. I let it sit bare without wrapping in the fridge, and I think it turned out great. It was definitely my best one yet.

zbarron

I forgot which recipe I used, just pick one and go from there. Meatheads uses too much pepper in my opinion. Also, grind your own peppercorns and corriander seeds if you can, it makes a big difference.

Thanks. I like a nice peppery pastrami so I'm not so concerned about that. I ground my own pepper using a manual burr coffee grinder but was only able to find coriander in powdered form. Hopefully it being a new package will make it somewhat fresher than sitting open in a spice cabinet for years.

I threw it on a little less than 2 hours ago and is at 125*F internal temperature. I'm struggling a bit keeping the smoker high enough. It seems to want to sit at 215*F. I'm using less than a full basket and the charcoal is on it's second or third use which I'm regretting right now. I also didn't put any foil on the bottom rack under the beef. I'll probably make one more adjustment and then stop messing with it so at least it can start being stable.

Here it is so far. This was one of my worst smokes for temperature control.
28848276085_fc3ca85962_b.jpg

Congrats. What kind of wood did you go for?

Also damn ColdPizza, you got yourself banned again?

All they had was Hickory.... I looked around to see if I could get chunks of mesquite, apple wood and perhaps even maple but all they had were chips. And this is Canada, I just assumed we would have wood available for smoking...

Coldpizza banned again? I hope its not permanent

Top Bottom