• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

Fuck me, this was a great meal.

feZ2TcM.png

v6RcKjj.png

giphy.gif

KingV

Got my brisket from Costco, rubbed it today to set overnight in the fridge. Made sure the Heatermeter I built is connecting to the wifi at home properly (along with public viewable URL!). Got a fresh bag of BGE lump in the truck.

I'm ready for this.

Tomorrow...

Small brisket... Or going higher temp? If you got a full Packer, it's time to fire her up!

KingV

It's a myth that good brisket takes 16+ hours.

I put mine on at 8am this morning.

I'm starting to realize that on the one I'm doing today, I'm at 190 a full 5 hours before I expected, without the Texas crutch...

I guess I don't know if it's a good brisket yet, though :)

Small brisket... Or going higher temp? If you got a full Packer, it's time to fire her up!

It's a myth that good brisket takes 16+ hours.

I put mine on at 8am this morning.

I do mine with a hot and fast and it comes out fine if you do it "right" instead of just cranking it. It's also nearly a necessity since the Akorn, even when using an extra Nomex gasket on top, has a tiny bit of air leak on the bottom damper and possibly where the ash pan on the bottom is. I have enough Nomex left to do the bottom pan and possibly use some at the damper to seal it better, but I need to rig p a better way for the fan to stoke the fire, since I literally just have it attached to the damper handle with some utility wire (but it works, I swear!).

EDIT: of course it got away from me! Working it down with some spray...

zbarron

God damn.

Whats the consensus on smoking a cut of sirloin? Just like smoking a brisket?

Brisket has a ton more fat and connective tissue. I'd treat it like smoking a steak and finish it however you like your steak.

These just came out.
27982053972_5b5cdfb264_b.jpg

They passed the bend test and the one I cut off the end tasted good and tender but I'm throwing them in the oven for a bit while I have the beer brats on the grill. I've learned that I constantly undercook ribs so I'm going a little longer than I normally would.

ColdPizza

Banned
Looks great. How did you season the meat? What kind of wood did you use?

It was an Achiote paste (made from ground anatto seeds) with added lemon juice,
Garlic, oregano and orange juice. That's what makes it look red.

Then there was a citrus finishing sauce with melted sugar, rum, cocentrated oj, like juice, garlic, white wine vinegar and butter.

I used cherry wood for this.

ColdPizza

Banned
Brisket has a ton more fat and connective tissue. I'd treat it like smoking a steak and finish it however you like your steak.

These just came out.
27982053972_5b5cdfb264_b.jpg

They passed the bend test and the one I cut off the end tasted good and tender but I'm throwing them in the oven for a bit while I have the beer brats on the grill. I've learned that I constantly undercook ribs so I'm going a little longer than I normally would.

Did you foil wrap at any point with some liquid? That always seems to push them over the finish line for me, while softening up the bark a little.

zbarron

I didn't wrap at all, that's how they got that dark color. I also served them dry, The outside had a thin jerky like layer with moist juicy pork underneath. They also had a nice thick smoke ring and these weren't packaged in a solution. They were really good served with a Carolina Gold BBQ sauce.

JaY P.

If you recall from this post, I attempted my first Pork Butt yesterday. I am happy to say that it came out quite well. It was tender, moist and smokey. Well here are the results.

Bark Shot
XztM3pT.jpg

Pulled
eNBNitF.jpg

Served with Homemade Fries, BBQ Sauce, and Cole Slaw
N0TCjWD.jpg

My first attempt at ribs using the smoker box and wood chips turned out great. It was a little difficult to get the temp under control, but they took about 45 minutes to cook and came out beautifully.

ColdPizza

Banned
I didn't wrap at all, that's how they got that dark color. I also served them dry, The outside had a thin jerky like layer with moist juicy pork underneath. They also had a nice thick smoke ring and these weren't packaged in a solution. They were really good served with a Carolina Gold BBQ sauce.

My ribs continue to darken even under a foil wrap. Excited to try them wrapped in butchers paper soon.

Tonight for Independence Day I made homemade Big Macs
on the stove.

13549463_146479099089516_907965461_n.jpg

How long did you smoke them?

Guys are pigs aka I forgot to take pictures before they devoured it, but last night turned out pretty good. My new pork butt turned out really good, but my bbq sauce failed. I added too much vinegar, but still edible. I also smoked a rack of ribs that turned out nice and pretty. I cooked up five packages of chicken wings. I grilled up 16 ears of corn. I did a one layer of charcoal across the bottom and put foil on top of the grate to protect it. Then I roasted some veggies and cooked up some fish on top of the foil (have friends that can't eat pork). A friend of ours let us borrow his weber kettle grill, so I had both of them going all day long.

I failed at two things, making baked beans from scratch (I did presoak, but they still were hard), and I completely forgot to make my southern green beans.

zbarron

My ribs continue to darken even under a foil wrap. Excited to try them wrapped in butchers paper soon.
Is that normal? I don't see how it could continue to get darker in a relatively low temperature humid environment.

Let us know how the butcher paper results go. I haven't had a problem with my Q unwrapped or in HD foil so I can't justify it currently but I'd love to hear how much of a difference it makes.
Tonight for Independence Day I made homemade Big Macs
on the stove.

How long did you smoke them?
Big Mac looks great.

I smoked the ribs about 4 hours at 250. I usually do 225 but I wanted to make sure it was done in time for our meal.
Smoked brisket :
Geeze. Put some NSFW tags for that gif.

Guys are pigs aka I forgot to take pictures before they devoured it, but last night turned out pretty good. My new pork butt turned out really good, but my bbq sauce failed. I added too much vinegar, but still edible. I also smoked a rack of ribs that turned out nice and pretty. I cooked up five packages of chicken wings. I grilled up 16 ears of corn. I did a one layer of charcoal across the bottom and put foil on top of the grate to protect it. Then I roasted some veggies and cooked up some fish on top of the foil (have friends that can't eat pork). A friend of ours let us borrow his weber kettle grill, so I had both of them going all day long.

I failed at two things, making baked beans from scratch (I did presoak, but they still were hard), and I completely forgot to make my southern green beans.
Glad to hear it went well.

It seems everyone had a good fourth.

ColdPizza

Banned
Is that normal? I don't see how it could continue to get darker in a relatively low temperature humid environment.

Let us know how the butcher paper results go. I haven't had a problem with my Q unwrapped or in HD foil so I can't justify it currently but I'd love to hear how much of a difference it makes.

I think by the time I foil them they the crust has enough smoke and is hard enough. I also usually add a layer of brown sugar on top of the meat during the foiling process (and add whatever beer I'm drinking). I'm guessing the moisture and the heat just continue to darken it (note: I do my ribs at 275 tho so that probably accounts for a lot of the coloring)

GiJoccin

So I cooked the creekstone brisket. sadly no pics, because it took quite a bit longer than anticipated, and everyone was too drunk/hangry to remember to snap a few pics

head and shoulders better taste and texture than my previous two brisket attempts (restaurant depot certified angus beef briskets). smoke level was great, salt was on point, nice peppery taste, and huge beef-y flavor

however, not enough bark formed, and i ended up with kind of a thin layer of sticky bark (supremely tasty though)

i have a few thoughts as to why that is...

A) not enough trimming, i removed as much hard fat as i could, and tried to get the fat below 1/2-1/4 inch, but i could tell in certain places that i didn't do that

B) brisket took so much longer than i anticipated. i kept the temp at around 250-275 throughout much of the cook, but it took more charcoals than i thought, and i couldn't figure out why that was. i started with a chimney and a half via minion method, which lasted a while, and then added two more chimneys of lit charcoal, but i wasn't sure if i should have just added cold charcoal, or a mix of the two...

i ended up wrapping with butcher paper and finishing in the oven until it was 196-205 in different parts of the brisket, then let it rest for about half an hour (couldn't wait any longer)

ColdPizza

Banned
So I cooked the creekstone brisket. sadly no pics, because it took quite a bit longer than anticipated, and everyone was too drunk/hangry to remember to snap a few pics

head and shoulders better taste and texture than my previous two brisket attempts (restaurant depot certified angus beef briskets). smoke level was great, salt was on point, nice peppery taste, and huge beef-y flavor

however, not enough bark formed, and i ended up with kind of a thin layer of sticky bark (supremely tasty though)

i have a few thoughts as to why that is...

A) not enough trimming, i removed as much hard fat as i could, and tried to get the fat below 1/2-1/4 inch, but i could tell in certain places that i didn't do that

B) brisket took so much longer than i anticipated. i kept the temp at around 250-275 throughout much of the cook, but it took more charcoals than i thought, and i couldn't figure out why that was. i started with a chimney and a half via minion method, which lasted a while, and then added two more chimneys of lit charcoal, but i wasn't sure if i should have just added cold charcoal, or a mix of the two...

i ended up wrapping with butcher paper and finishing in the oven until it was 196-205 in different parts of the brisket, then let it rest for about half an hour (couldn't wait any longer)

What size brisket and what kind of smoker?

KingV

I do mine with a hot and fast and it comes out fine if you do it "right" instead of just cranking it. It's also nearly a necessity since the Akorn, even when using an extra Nomex gasket on top, has a tiny bit of air leak on the bottom damper and possibly where the ash pan on the bottom is. I have enough Nomex left to do the bottom pan and possibly use some at the damper to seal it better, but I need to rig p a better way for the fan to stoke the fire, since I literally just have it attached to the damper handle with some utility wire (but it works, I swear!).

EDIT: of course it got away from me! Working it down with some spray...

I have an Akorn too.

I'm not sure if I won the Akorn lottery, but I'm able to to keep mine down to 225F with no mods. Basically, I keep the bottom vent about maybe 3/4 inches open and the top vent is almost closed.

Like there is a little tiny notch on the outer edge part of the upper vent where. I basically position the vents to where it's only those little notches that are open once the smoker gets to about 150-200 and then adjust from there. And adjustments on the Akorn are like "push the little lever until you feel it move, and that's it. Very very small adjustments, and I never adjust the bottom vent at low in slow, unless it's to close it more

Other things that help:

1: Use regular-ass Kingston instead of lump charcoal. It burns a lot lower temp wise. I was never able to keep it easily below 300 until I switched to regular Kingston.

2: Basically start with one small lit area. I start with a Weber starter cube on the edge of my pile.

3: Consider putting the meat in way before you are up to temp. The meat is a big heat sink and IMO makes it easier to control early. I put it on when the smoker is around 100F.

4: use the smoker a lot. IMO, Akorn's get easier to control the more they are used. All the smoke buildup on the sides of the smoker helps to keep it air tight.

I'm interested what your high and fast method is on a brisket. Mine came out pretty well, everyone like it, but for my tastes the flat was not as moist as it could be. The point was tender, but the flat was a little dry, especially on the thinner end.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The grain of the flat and point run in different directions so half of it is cut with. Doesn't matter since I cut the point off and diced it up for sandwiches like this I had for lunch

you and i are on the same plan, i am typing this with my chop beef sandwhich next to me.

I accidentally took mine to 209 internal temp yesterday and it turned out great.

I kind of wish i had taken a pic of just the meat before i put the rub on it. It was probably one of the best looking briskets i've ever gotten from HEB. It had great marbling.

on at 8am

couple of hours later

right before wrapping it in foil ~8 or 9 hours

out of the foil

and into my mouth.

I have an Akorn too.

I'm not sure if I won the Akorn lottery, but I'm able to to keep mine down to 225F with no mods. Basically, I keep the bottom vent about maybe 3/4 inches open and the top vent is almost closed.

Like there is a little tiny notch on the outer edge part of the upper vent where. I basically position the vents to where it's only those little notches that are open once the smoker gets to about 150-200 and then adjust from there. And adjustments on the Akorn are like "push the little lever until you feel it move, and that's it. Very very small adjustments, and I never adjust the bottom vent at low in slow, unless it's to close it more

Other things that help:

1: Use regular-ass Kingston instead of lump charcoal. It burns a lot lower temp wise. I was never able to keep it easily below 300 until I switched to regular Kingston.

2: Basically start with one small lit area. I start with a Weber starter cube on the edge of my pile.

3: Consider putting the meat in way before you are up to temp. The meat is a big heat sink and IMO makes it easier to control early. I put it on when the smoker is around 100F.

4: use the smoker a lot. IMO, Akorn's get easier to control the more they are used. All the smoke buildup on the sides of the smoker helps to keep it air tight.

I'm interested what your high and fast method is on a brisket. Mine came out pretty well, everyone like it, but for my tastes the flat was not as moist as it could be. The point was tender, but the flat was a little dry, especially on the thinner end.

I use similar starters on mine, same way. I'm beginning to think I simply put too much into the pit, since this stuff does tend to burn hotter anyway.

To be fair, I've been coming from using a BGE XL at work for a while. I've more or less gotten used to how this one smokes, I just did a lot of dumb crap yesterday (left the top damper open too wide, for one). I eventually got it back down to where I wanted.

The hot and fast I usually start at 225/250 and keep it there, then ramp up to 300 around an hour or so in. Once the meat is at around 100 or a little over I kick it to 350 and hold ti there for a while. I did all of my past 3 briskets this way.

Unfortunately this one, the flat came out a bit dry. I was actually kind of experimenting this time and used a different rub (which we didn't like), put water in the drip pan this time (I haven't in the past) and apparently had one of my probes in the fat of the pocket instead of in the flat where it should have been. I also didn't trim it nearly as well as I should have before rubbing the night before. I also didn't wrap it in foil and put it into the cooler before slicing it, since it was cooking later than I had wanted.

I think, in the end, I was impatient from start to finish and got bit by it. The marble didn't taste so bad and was plenty moist, but the flat was the driest I've ever made.

Makes good tacos, though!

AzerPhire

you and i are on the same plan, i am typing this with my chop beef sandwhich next to me.

I accidentally took mine to 209 internal temp yesterday and it turned out great.

I kind of wish i had taken a pic of just the meat before i put the rub on it. It was probably one of the best looking briskets i've ever gotten from HEB. It had great marbling.

on at 8am

couple of hours later

right before wrapping it in foil ~8 or 9 hours

out of the foil

and into my mouth.

Looks awesome, how did the flavor turn out?

Are you willing to share your recipe? Making a brisket this weekend and haven't settled on a rub yet.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

ColdPizza

Banned
16 lb brisket on an 18" weber smokey mountain

Interesting...I've done a 13lb brisket on my 18" WSM in about 10-11 hours at 250F.

Were you going by dome temp or did you have a digital probe at grate level? It's possible the smoker wasn't as hot as you thought.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I cooked a 8.5 pound brisket on the 4th. I will add pictures to this post later, but it turned out so good. The cook was done much sooner than I thought it would be and it was moist as can be. I love cooking brisket in the summer!

GiJoccin

Interesting...I've done a 13lb brisket on my 18" WSM in about 10-11 hours at 250F.

Were you going by dome temp or did you have a digital probe at grate level? It's possible the smoker wasn't as hot as you thought.

i had a digital probe at grate level. i'll be doing the digital probe just above the meat more in the dome next time for more accurate temps.

guess i'll just have to try again! getting closer :)

Anybody here use recipe books? I don't know rub recipes or ways to make great sauces. I only know one of each but of course, I don't want to use that on every meat I get!

Winco has a great selection of cheap seasonings sold by the pound. It's a great way to experiment with different flavors or replicate premade ones.

zbarron

I ended up ordering the Javelin Digital Instant Read Thermometer.

It arrived this morning and I tested it out. In 165*F water it registers 0.4*F lower than my Anova and got a reading in about 3-3.5 seconds. Both of these exceed the stats quoted for the device.

Compare that to Thermoworks Video comparison. I feel this is misleading since Thermoworks is definitely faster at getting a reading of 32*F but honestly that is so far from normal usage for a chef it makes the competitors seem worse than they are.

I'm currently happy with it. The only thing that remains to be seen is how durable it is longterm.

Paskil

I ended up ordering the Javelin Digital Instant Read Thermometer.

It arrived this morning and I tested it out. In 165*F water it registers 0.4*F lower than my Anova and got a reading in about 3-3.5 seconds. Both of these exceed the stats quoted for the device.

Compare that to Thermoworks Video comparison. I feel this is misleading since Thermoworks is definitely faster at getting a reading of 32*F but honestly that is so far from normal usage for a chef it makes the competitors seem worse than they are.

I'm currently happy with it. The only thing that remains to be seen is how durable it is longterm.

Cool, hope it serves you well!

What's going on this weekend, BBQGAF?

I have two pork shoulders and an 11lb packer brisket to smoke. Hoping it all turns out well. I need to make up some vinegar mustard for the pork (thanks for the earlier links). Pretty excited since I procrastinated last weekend and didn't end up smoking like I had planned.

Do any of you ever put a rub on your meat and vacuum seal it overnight? Do you think it's more effective than just applying the rub? Also, I tend to use a mustard base to hold my rub, but I have been seeing people just applying their rub directly to the meat. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I usually just put my rub directly on the meat, then throw it in the fridge overnight so I don't have to prep anything come morning time. I know some people will use something to help the rub stick, but I just make sure to press down on the rub and it's worked well.

zbarron

I do a pre-rub of kosher salt as a dry brine. I wait 5 minutes and the surface of the meat is a little moist. At this point I put on my main rub and wrap it in plastic wrap and throw it in the fridge overnight. I've gotten better bark doing it this way than when I used mustard.

Paskil

I mention the vacuum sealing because there's a local meat/butcher shop here in town that also makes sandwiches and one thing they cook up is brisket (for sandwiches and for sale). They have a video of their prep and they vacuum seal it and throw it in the fridge for 24 hours.

Their charcuterie stuff is amazing but haven't tried their brisket.

https://vimeo.com/35920197

I do a pre-rub of kosher salt as a dry brine. I wait 5 minutes and the surface of the meat is a little moist. At this point I put on my main rub and wrap it in plastic wrap and throw it in the fridge overnight. I've gotten better bark doing it this way than when I used mustard.

Wow, I never would have thought of this and I do a lot of my smoked meat up with a dry brine overnight. This is an incredible idea and I'm going to try it this weekend. Thanks!

zbarron

Wow, I never would have thought of this and I do a lot of my smoked meat up with a dry brine overnight. This is an incredible idea and I'm going to try it this weekend. Thanks!
I can't take the credit. I basically stole the idea wholesale form Malcolm Reeds' Brisket Video and I think one of his other ones where he uses a dedicated packaged pre-rub that said it's instructions to put it on 5 minutes before the main one.

Lenardo

Banned
i've started dabbling and so far have been successful, my biggest fault imo is not waiting long enough to put the meat on (smoke is still the whitish vs the whispy blue they all say wait for.

got a picture of what i did sunday but no idea where to upload the picture to show, ya'll

3 racks of baby back ribs with a bacon bourbon molasses glaze/sauce.i use a sweet spice rub the day before, wrap in saran wrap, and let sit overnight. for a smoker grill - i have a kamado grill (visiongrill's pro-s) bought a bbqguru to help control temp. i set up a snake style burn (charcoal lining the sides of the grill in a circle)

use a rib rack and then smoke at 235 for 2 hrs, wrap in foil with a slathering of butter, brown sugar and honey for 90 minutes then finish with the ribs meat side down for 10 minutes (put glaze on bone side) flip then put glaze on meat side for 20 minutes...

if not using the bacon glaze but a more traditional sauce, i mix the juices from the foil wrap into a cup or so of bbq sauce...then do the 10 min/20 minute thing to finish.

when i am going to a party, i've wrapped the finished ribs in foil then toss them in an insulated cooler bag and they stay hot for up to 4 hrs...

also done smoked wings, smoked bbq chicken and pulled pork with a carolina vinegar sauce...

going to smoke a turkey in a week or so and a prime rib roast....

Top Bottom