• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Week 2. So far so good.

Any snack tips? I'm doing veggies, greek yogurt. I also have some Clif Builder Bars which seem pretty good. I don't eat meat.

Week 2. So far so good.

Any snack tips? I'm doing veggies, greek yogurt. I also have some Clif Builder Bars which seem pretty good. I don't eat meat.

Doesn't exactly fit with the P90x diet, but not everything has to

http://www.beachbody.com/product/tonys-top-10-snacks.do

Similarly, I have or had

1. Lara Bar
2. Pro Bar
3. Turkey Jerky
4. Extra protein shake
5. Rather than cliff bars, some of us Quest Bars
6. Seaweeds
7. Ricecakes

on an unrelated note, just want to share something that I wasn't exactly proud of but felt compelled to do. I was catching up with an old friend and he shared that he was thinking about losing weight. I got excited talking about something that I have a knowledge of, so my head was filled with ideas and even got a little bit preachy at times.

Anyway, to convince my friend the importance of dieting, I used the following example to drive the point. I asked him, given that he was a heterosexual, if I magically produced a penis and asked him to shove down his throat - would he do it? Of course, he said no - and thankfully he understood the point I was trying to make and didn't tell me to fuck off on the spot. lol

burnfout

I started Body Beast two weeks ago. Got about halfway into P90X2 and abandoned it. ( for now)

Body Beast is a completely different uhhh beast than the P90 workouts damn, my chest, biceps but especially my legs are sore almost the whole week, incredible.

Haven't been this sore since first week of P90X, loving it so far.

____

Don't need luck, just your best (and keep coming back here)!

Most def. Started yesterday -- chest and back is a breeze. Ab Ripper X tried to rip my midsection into tiny little pieces and stomp them into the ground. It made a bitch out of me and it knows it.

Now that I'm going to start focusing more on my nutrition, would it be a good idea to try Shakeology? Seems pricey, especially to think of it as a monthly fee I'd be paying to have it, but when thinking of it replacing a meal a day, it actually seems like it might save me a little bit in the long run.

Anyone here recommend it? Anyone recommend against it?

Also, I'm headed to Publix during my lunch hour today to pick up some things I can leave here at work to eat / snack on throughout the day. Since I'm in 'Fat Shredder' mode, I want to pick up things tailored around high protein, low carbs. As of now, I'm going for greek yogurt, turkey jerky, low-fat cottage cheese, almonds and baby carrots (I know, not protein, but need some). Any other suggestions?

KingGondo

Banned
Most def. Started yesterday -- chest and back is a breeze. Ab Ripper X tried to rip my midsection into tiny little pieces and stomp them into the ground. It made a bitch out of me and it knows it.
A little advice when you're first starting out:

None of the workouts should be a "breeze." If that's the case, you're simply not pushing yourself hard enough.

As for ARX, I personally prefer to do it before my main workout, and there's nothing wrong with pausing it every 3-4 moves to rest so you can give it your all in every segment of the workout.

Now that I'm going to start focusing more on my nutrition, would it be a good idea to try Shakeology? Seems pricey, especially to think of it as a monthly fee I'd be paying to have it, but when thinking of it replacing a meal a day, it actually seems like it might save me a little bit in the long run.

I don't think Shakeology is necessary. Sure there's a convenience factor, but cooking your own food and having a quality diet will do far more for you in the long run (and will be far cheaper).

Think of learning to cook and developing a healthy diet as another aspect of your lifestyle change that comes with the workout program.

Also, I'm headed to Publix during my lunch hour today to pick up some things I can leave here at work to eat / snack on throughout the day. Since I'm in 'Fat Shredder' mode, I want to pick up things tailored around high protein, low carbs. As of now, I'm going for greek yogurt, turkey jerky, low-fat cottage cheese, almonds and baby carrots (I know, not protein, but need some). Any other suggestions?
Hummus is a pretty solid option.

I'd also see if they have Quest Nutrition Bars. Those things are spectacular and have really helped me stay on plan. If Publix doesn't have them, just order some from Amazon (Strawberry Cheesecake and Cinnamon Roll are my favorite flavors, with Chocolate Peanut Butter a close 2nd).

____

A little advice when you're first starting out:

None of the workouts should be a "breeze." If that's the case, you're simply not pushing yourself hard enough.

As for ARX, I personally prefer to do it before my main workout, and there's nothing wrong with pausing it every 3-4 moves to rest so you can give it your all in every segment of the workout.

I don't think Shakeology is necessary. Sure there's a convenience factor, but cooking your own food and having a quality diet will do far more for you in the long run (and will be far cheaper).

Think of learning to cook and developing a healthy diet as another aspect of your lifestyle change that comes with the workout program.

Hummus is a pretty solid option.

I'd also see if they have Quest Nutrition Bars. Those things are spectacular and have really helped me stay on plan. If Publix doesn't have them, just order some from Amazon (Strawberry Cheesecake and Cinnamon Roll are my favorite flavors, with Chocolate Peanut Butter a close 2nd).

Cool, I was actually hoping someone would talk me out of buying Shakeology lol. Also, definitely will grab some hummus and look for those Quest bars to try out.

I definitely want to learn to cook, and that's part of why I'm going to Publix too. To take a look around and start slowly trying things out to see what I can pre-make and have readily accessible instead of wondering each day what I'm going to eat.

Regarding the first workout being a "breeze", I should probably preface that by saying that I had an obsession with pushups for a lot of 2012. I had gotten pretty good at them, although I would do them sporadically for months, get lazy and stop, then get back into doing them again. I had gotten to a point where I could do sets of 50 on the regular. I also tried going 75 once, and was successful, but never tried it again. So, in doing chest and back, the pushups weren't as challenging as I imagined, even with the quantity of variations, BUT since I figured it will get harder as I go forward, I kept my reps between 20 - 30 for each different exercise, leaving room to push myself as the weeks go on.

Pull-up wise, I can do 10 with good form and steady speed for the first 7-8 and then for the last 2-3, I take a slight pause in between each one. As the workout progresses, I'm able to do less and less (proper form) pullups, so I set my goal lower for the remainder of the pull-up variations to 5.

With heavy pants, lawnmowers, and the other exercise that has you sitting down with the weights behind your feet, I have 30 lb dumbbells that I use. I'm somewhat used to doing back exercises with them from earlier in the year that I think my body had gotten used to. I may need to invest in some heavier weight.

So, all in all, I didn't necessarily mean it was a breeze breeze BUT the total workout was something I could see myself sustaining without feeling like I'm gonna pass out or can't move the next day. (for instance, I did that yesterday, muscles felt tight and tired and I slept good, but I'm not that sore today) By the end of the workout, I had broken a sweat and felt very slightly lightheaded, but those are feelings I've been used to.

Now....ARX. "After" trying it for the first time last night, I had an idea that I might be better off by doing it prior to the other resistance workouts. Good to see I'm not alone there. I did try to take pauses, but it felt like my tailbone was grinding into the floor and I couldn't stay balanced enough to do most of it. I tried using the yoga mat, which helped, but by then, my body was exhausted and I could only manage about half of the workout.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The only time I've ever had problems doing an Ab Ripper exercise immediately after a workout is after P90X2 Base & Back. Otherwise, no prob. It's designed to be done after a workout, so while it is true the you can "get through it" more easily if you do it before or at another time, I think it's best to do it as designed -- immediately following the workout.

Now ask me if I'm glad there's no X2 Ab Ripper after PAP Upper or Lower ;-)

KingGondo

Banned
The only time I've ever had problems doing an Ab Ripper exercise immediately after a workout is after P90X2 Base & Back. Otherwise, no prob. It's designed to be done after a workout, so while it is true the you can "get through it" more easily if you do it before or at another time, I think it's best to do it as designed -- immediately following the workout.

Do you think it really affects the workout's effectiveness?

I find that I'm able to "bring it" much better if I do it before the main workout, but that's just me.

____

I think it might be because I'm largely unconditioned when it comes to my core / abdominal area. I've never been a situps / crunches kind of guy and trying ARX last night showed me just how bad of shape I'm in in that area.

I find that I'm able to "bring it" much better if I do it before the main workout, but that's just me.

This is my frame of thought, too. I think I will try to continue it 'after' the workouts as outlined for the rest of this week, and if I still fail, I'm going to try doing it at the beginning of the workout next week and see how that works for me.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Well, I'm a purist, at least the first time through these workouts. I know that the order of workouts is designed with a lot of thought put into it, and so if Beachbody thinks it's best to do the Ab Rippers after the workout, that's what I'm going to do, even if it is harder.

Plus in P90X2, many of the workouts that precede X2 Ab Ripper involve the core considerably. If you were to do X2 Ab Ripper prior to those, you may not be as effective in the main body of the workout.

Anyway that's my rationale. I doubt I'll do P90X or X2 "pure" again -- I'll probably do hybrids -- so I may opt to change the order or drop the Ab Rippers, or do them after different workout, in the future. But first time through any of these I'm going to stick to what the schedule says.

FOOTE

I think that when you do it afterward there's much more room to improve. Imagine ARX getting too easy after doing it for a while before the workouts, and how much time it would take for you to reach that point.

Now think about how much time it would take to get to that point by constantly doing them after the workouts.

You're going to get good results regardless of before or after,. However, I believe that the more you do it after the stronger you will get and you will also get better results over time.

With that said, if ARX is just too hard to do after the workout. Do it before and build your core. After a while though, everyone needs not worry so much about matching Adam and just try their best to get on his level. It isn't easy, but no one said it was. Right?

KingGondo

Banned
Well, I'm a purist, at least the first time through these workouts. I know that the order of workouts is designed with a lot of thought put into it, and so if Beachbody thinks it's best to do the Ab Rippers after the workout, that's what I'm going to do, even if it is harder.

Plus in P90X2, many of the workouts that precede X2 Ab Ripper involve the core considerably. If you were to do X2 Ab Ripper prior to those, you may not be as effective in the main body of the workout.

Anyway that's my rationale. I doubt I'll do P90X or X2 "pure" again -- I'll probably do hybrids -- so I may opt to change the order or drop the Ab Rippers, or do them after different workout, in the future. But first time through any of these I'm going to stick to what the schedule says.
That's fair.

I did ARX before the main workout for the most part last year, maybe for X2 I'll try the other way and see what I prefer. ARX2 is quite a bit less strenuous than ARX, anyways.

@FOOTE: That's a good rationale as well. My main goal this year is to work on my weaknesses, and I suppose doing ARX after my workouts is one weakness I can attempt to rectify.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION

For me, it's Base & Back (P90X2) and to some degree Legs & Back (P90X). But it also depends on how much energy I have left. Doing Ab Ripper on Shoulders & Arms days is the best though!

FOOTE

Believe me. The last thing I want to do after the workouts is ARX. You cool down stretch out... then you hear Tony saying, "this isn't ab ripper 100 or 200 this is ab ripper 329". Or whatever. The first time I heard that I almost squealed.

"It's time for crunchy frog, EVERYBODY get their hands in the air!". It's almost the torture some days.

KingGondo

Banned
Believe me. The last thing I want to do after the workouts is ARX. You cool down stretch out... then you hear Tony saying, "this isn't ab ripper 100 or 200 this is ab ripper 329". Or whatever. The first time I heard that I almost squealed.

"It's time for crunchy frog, EVERYBODY get their hands in the air!". It's almost the torture some days.
Ugh. Crunchy frog, Fifer Scissors, and Heels to the Heavens are my nemeses.

I like ARX2 quite a bit, but at the same time I recognize it's not as good of a workout as ARX1.

Finally managed to get Les Mills Combat shipped over to the UK. Did 2 days....

After a few weeks of doing Insanity the cardio hasn't affected me much. The exercises are really fun though. The stretching exercises are fun too.

The only problem I have is that I am that used to Insanity/P90X/Body Beast etc... that when I do the exercises whilst not being easy I don't struggle. I don't know if its me or the exercises are just generally easier. I'll give more info in the coming weeks when i've tried all exercises.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
can anyone recommend an exercise to do in lieu of a pull-up bar? I'm only looking for a stop-gap while I build some basic upper-body strength. The doorway to my room faces a communal area, so I'm not keen on having my housemates watch me struggle to achieve one pull-up.

Also, and this can possibly be worked around, but I'm renting my house. I assume using a pull-up bar requires nails in the wall?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
can anyone recommend an exercise to do in lieu of a pull-up bar? I'm only looking for a stop-gap while I build some basic upper-body strength. The doorway to my room faces a communal area, so I'm not keen on having my housemates watch me struggle to achieve one pull-up.

Also, and this can possibly be worked around, but I'm renting my house. I assume using a pull-up bar requires nails in the wall?

All P90X pull-up stuff can be done with resistance bands too, they always have one person doing them. You still need a doorway to lodge them in though.

No, you don't nail for the pull-up bar. It just goes over the frame of the door.

KingGondo

Banned
None of the ones I'm aware of require any mounting, they simply brace against the door frame.

As for your housemates, are they friends? If so, I wouldn't be so ashamed about struggling in front of them. You'll seem that much more badass in 3 months when you're banging out 10-15 at a clip. :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the responses, guys! I'll measure out the door-frame and test this all out soon.

And I'm super close with my housemates, it really wouldn't be an issue after the first handful of times, but just to give some perspective, I can barely manage one push-up. I know this is relatively normal for some people starting out, but the shame, man. The shame.

fuenf

I'm currently doing the pull-up exercises with resistance bands instead of a pullup bar and it's okay, it's obviously much easier but it's fun... the only problem is that the band exercises are more or less an after thought in the program. They arent really explained (tony will sometimes correct the band users but that's it), so it can be a little bit difficult to pick up the correct form.

I'd recommend Shakeology only if you can afford it. It's a great meal replacement if your goal is weight loss. It has amazing tons of nutrients that make it a great supplement. However, if those things don't factor into your plan right now, as Gondo said, getting healthy foods is more important. You can also use the money to invest on protein bars/protein powder/recovery drinks

I had Shakeology for a while...at least 5 months. I stopped because I couldn't afford that and Tony Horton Kitchen

KingGondo

Banned
Thanks for the responses, guys! I'll measure out the door-frame and test this all out soon.

And I'm super close with my housemates, it really wouldn't be an issue after the first handful of times, but just to give some perspective, I can barely manage one push-up. I know this is relatively normal for some people starting out, but the shame, man. The shame.
As long as you have a doorframe to mount it, I'd just go for it and do your best. There's really no substitute for a real pull-up.

I think you'll enjoy the program more if you start from ground zero and track your progress. When you finish in 90 days you'll be amazed at how far you've come.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I used today a pair of jeans that I haven't used in a while and, man, do they feel tight. Is as if I was wearing freaking skinny jeans! Beast Legs workout is definitely the responsible for this.

fuenf

Any shoe recommendations? Plyo is killing me without shoes, I read in this thread that the Reebok Crossflex shoes are supposed to be pretty good, but I dont want to drop another 110€ on shoes just for P90X. Can the Crossflex double as a running shoe?

Any cheaper ideas?

Any shoe recommendations? Plyo is killing me without shoes, I read in this thread that the Reebok Crossflex shoes are supposed to be pretty good, but I dont want to drop another 110€ on shoes just for P90X. Can the Crossflex double as a running shoe?

Any cheaper ideas?

Oh man, I can't even imagine Plyo without shoes. I wear shoes for everything except Yoga.

If I were you I would go try some pairs on in-store to see what feels right. What I do is go to a running store, as the people that work there tend to be knowledgeable and help me find a really good fit for my feet. Well, that has been my experience.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Any cheaper ideas?

I have the Reebok CrossFit Nano 2.0s. I suppose they could be used as a running shoe, though I haven't used it for that. I have a pair of Nike minimal running shoes, but they are not suitable for Insanity or Asylum as they have little/no lateral support. My Reeboks have both, plus toe protection (important for burpees, mountain climbers, in & outs, that sort of thing).

I use the Reeboks for everything except Yoga, where I use my Vibram FiveFingers, and Recovery & Mobility and the Ab Ripper routines, which I do barefoot.

I do not enjoy running, but if I were to go I'd probably opt for the Nikes.

fuenf

Thanks for the advice, guess I'll just have to invest another 100€ *gulp* I'm not into running either but I'm an avid inline skater and I'm thinking about making the switch to running in the spring.

____

I'd recommend Shakeology only if you can afford it. It's a great meal replacement if your goal is weight loss. It has amazing tons of nutrients that make it a great supplement. However, if those things don't factor into your plan right now, as Gondo said, getting healthy foods is more important. You can also use the money to invest on protein bars/protein powder/recovery drinks

I had Shakeology for a while...at least 5 months. I stopped because I couldn't afford that and Tony Horton Kitchen

I can afford it, but I'm not extremely interested in weight loss. Right now, I'm 175lbs and 5'10'' and when at my lowest weight of 165lbs early in 2012, people said I was too skinny. I would actually prefer to gain a little weight, but lose the body fat.

SIDE NOTE: Just did Plyo for the first time. Holy. Shit. Buckets of sweat. And weak leg muscles got exposed today. Definitely looking forward to see how I hold up during next week's Plyo.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Oh man. Insanity Asylum may be harder than Insanity. Did the fitness test and first workout day 1. Felt like day 1 of Insanity all over again.

fuenf

I do plyo without shoes on carpet with the plyo mat

I'm using my Yoga Mat (6mm thick, on a carpet) and it's okay, as long as I land on my toes everything is fine and I've got no problem doing the workouts. But after I've completed it I can feel me knees flare up a little, that's why I want to reduce the impact on my landings.

SIDE NOTE: Just did Plyo for the first time. Holy. Shit. Buckets of sweat. And weak leg muscles got exposed today. Definitely looking forward to see how I hold up during next week's Plyo.

I'm in the same boat, but luckily it does indeed seem to get easier. I completed my 2nd Plyo workout today and already said "fuck plyo" way less during the workout, which was really surprising because I totally dropped the ball on Chest&Back yesterday (I had absolutely no energy left) . I've decided to skip the Plyo bonus round though, I've no idea how to pitch a baseball / shoot a left handed jumpshot and therefore my form was all over the place during my first. I think it did more harm than good (hyperextended joints etc.) and it left a sore taste in my mouth, without it I actually felt really good after Plyo.

I can afford it, but I'm not extremely interested in weight loss. Right now, I'm 175lbs and 5'10'' and when at my lowest weight of 165lbs early in 2012, people said I was too skinny. I would actually prefer to gain a little weight, but lose the body fat.

Then sometime I'd recommend you try Shakeology out. I think it's worth the price. Use it as a supplement and not a meal replacement. Might even try it as a preworkout
drink like Tony does
I'm using my Yoga Mat (6mm thick, on a carpet) and it's okay, as long as I land on my toes everything is fine and I've got no problem doing the workouts. But after I've completed it I can feel me knees flare up a little, that's why I want to reduce the impact on my landings.

Hmm problem is with your knee? Well id still say try a plyo mat if you can - it's thicker and softer, and its purpose is to reduce impact on the landing

fuenf

Hmm problem is with your knee? Well id still say try a plyo mat if you can - it's thicker and softer, and its purpose is to reduce impact on the landing

Well the Beachbody mat is only as thick as my Yoga Mat (I bought an especially thick/ soft one). Tbh I just think that dropping another $100 on a mat (that might or might not be better) is more ridiculous than buying a good pair of shoes.

A couple of years ago I crashed while I was inline skating and experienced knee trouble for the first time, but my ortho guy said that everything was fine and that I should just strengthen my leg muscles more (which I didnt do, apart from skating).

Well the Beachbody mat is only as thick as my Yoga Mat (I bought an especially thick/ soft one). Tbh I just think that dropping another $100 on a mat (that might or might not be better) is more ridiculous than buying a good pair of shoes.

A couple of years ago I crashed while I was inline skating and experienced knee trouble for the first time, but my ortho guy said that everything was fine and that I should just strengthen my leg muscles more (which I didnt do, apart from skating).

Yea it can be issues with your knee. I mentioned plyo mat because I really like it, and I know it's expensive. I don't know your yoga mat but I really feel the plyo mat is of a different caliber.

In any case, I wish you the best

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
As long as you have a doorframe to mount it, I'd just go for it and do your best. There's really no substitute for a real pull-up.

I think you'll enjoy the program more if you start from ground zero and track your progress. When you finish in 90 days you'll be amazed at how far you've come.
Thanks man. :)

fuenf

Yea it can be issues with your knee. I mentioned plyo mat because I really like it, and I know it's expensive. I don't know your yoga mat but I really feel the plyo mat is of a different caliber.

In any case, I wish you the best

Thanks, I appreciate your advice. It's just really hard to get the Beachbody gear here in Germany at an affordable price (shipping /customs). The P90X base set (just the dvds) already set me back $190.

____

I'm in the same boat, but luckily it does indeed seem to get easier. I completed my 2nd Plyo workout today and already said "fuck plyo" way less during the workout, which was really surprising because I totally dropped the ball on Chest&Back yesterday (I had absolutely no energy left) . I've decided to skip the Plyo bonus round though, I've no idea how to pitch a baseball / shoot a left handed jumpshot and therefore my form was all over the place during my first. I think it did more harm than good (hyperextended joints etc.) and it left a sore taste in my mouth, without it I actually felt really good after Plyo.

That's good to know that it gets better soon, which means I can push myself harder without my muscles failing. Also, that baseball thing threw me for a loop too lol. I'm definitely gonna practice, but I can only imagine how my 'pitching' looked from someone else's point of view. I know it was hilarious because I could feel my rhythm and coordination were completely off.

Then sometime I'd recommend you try Shakeology out. I think it's worth the price. Use it as a supplement and not a meal replacement. Might even try it as a preworkout
drink like Tony does

Ok, I'll definitely see about trying some (maybe the 30 day trial?) and maybe buying a plan a little later down the line after I get a sufficient diet in place.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The baseball move and rock star hops were pretty LOL-worthy for me as well, but as Tony says, just do your best & forget the rest. You'll improve over time. I ended up modifying the rockstar hops as I recall.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ha. Starting with chest and back was trial by fire for me. Some of the later push up variants were completely impossible for me. It's hard to understate how underpowered my upper body is relative to my mid-section. I guess I'll just keep up my one or two knee push-up per set thing. I certainly feel it now, but nowhere near as much as I feel the chin-ups (the resistance bands let me set a much kinder starting weight).

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Nothing wrong with going to your knees if you need to. I'd do as many off my knees as I could with good form to start, then continue on my knees. Write down your reps of each, and each workout try to do more off your knees.

Just keep at it & be patient. It'll come in time.

____

Man, my legs (where my leg bends at the hip) are killing me today lol. I'm fine if I'm just sitting not thinking about it, but every time I get up from my desk, I'm quickly reminded of last night's plyo. Thank GOD it's arms / shoulders today, although I'm not looking forward to ARX after the way my hips feel now. But no pain, no gain I guess.

KingGondo

Banned
Man, my legs (where my leg bends at the hip) are killing me today lol. I'm fine if I'm just sitting not thinking about it, but every time I get up from my desk, I'm quickly reminded of last night's plyo. Thank GOD it's arms / shoulders today, although I'm not looking forward to ARX after the way my hips feel now. But no pain, no gain I guess.
Yep, persevering through the first couple weeks is probably the hardest part. Keep it up!

Also, plyo does an excellent job of working the hips, glutes, IT band... Really the entire area from the waist through the thighs.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, man, Plyometrics. I don't think I've ever sweated as much as I did this morning.

Top Bottom