• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

____

Good luck!

Cool, thanks.

Quick question -- I'm gonna start writing a daily food log, but I know for a fact what I eat for breakfast every day. There are 2 on-site cafes at my job that cook for breakfast and lunch. Lunch is kind of expensive but breakfast is reasonable.

Every day (M - F) I wake up at 6 - 6:30am, then around 9am, I eat:
1-2 eggs with green/red peppers, onion and mushrooms. No cheese.
Plain yogurt w/ strawberries + granola (parfait, I guess)

And then sometimes I have a banana or apple with it, and a bottle of water.

Regarding wanting to build muscle and also lose unwanted body fat, would that be considered a decent breakfast? Should I be eating more? Substitutions or suggestions?

Lunch for me varies every day (fast food 9 times out of 10), but I usually do the following:

1) Subway - 6" or Footlong (black forest ham / turkey) on Wheat w/ spinach, green peppers, onion, banana peppers, sweet onion teriyaki sauce + bottled water

or

2) Pollo Tropical - small chicken Tropichop w/ 1/2 brown rice + 1/2 lettuce + tomatoes + pineapple rum sauce + bottled water

or

3) Wendy's - Small chili + Small apple pecan chicken salad w/ half the dressing + bottled water

I get off work at 5pm and then from there, dinner turns into whatever's available, which usually means more fast food.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
One more week of P90X2 Phase 2 for a total of 6 weeks in Phase 2. This'll be a third week substituting in V-Sculpt and X2 Chest/Shoulders/Tris for Chest Back & Balance and X2 Shoulder & Arms respectively. I have auto-scheduled 3 weeks of Phase 3 starting next Thursday, and then I'll be finished with P90X2 on 1/31!

TrounceX

Thanks man. For the extra ab ripper - sometimes it is a struggle to do them, but I am always concerned that if I don't do them I will lose the strength I have gained.

And ditto on changing things up every 3 weeks. I am actually leaning now towards working out 4 days a week. What do you think of creating some kind of tri/biceps workout? No pull-ups (for it is covered in legs/back, base and back. etc) and just straight tri/biceps.

Body Beast has a great bicep/tricep workout that I would swear by. If you wanted to try it I could post the entire routine. Great part about Body Beast is there's nothing fancy about it, in fact it's almost pointless to buy the videos. I downloaded an excel spreadsheet of the workouts and do them myself now. Screw Sagi and his troop of annoying dudebros.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
From the funny pics thread. A new move in P90X3?

zHyHM.gif

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So before I actually order this, do you guys recommend Asylum 1 and 2? For weight loss and general fitness? Or should I do P90X1 again?

I'm getting a bit tired of the P90X videos since I just did a X1/2 hybrid so was thinking Asylum would at least be something new.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So before I actually order this, do you guys recommend Asylum 1 and 2? For weight loss and general fitness? Or should I do P90X1 again?

I'm getting a bit tired of the P90X videos since I just did a X1/2 hybrid so was thinking Asylum would at least be something new.

Do Asylum 1. It's only 30 days. After you're done you can always get 2, or go to some other program.

Body Beast has a great bicep/tricep workout that I would swear by. If you wanted to try it I could post the entire routine. Great part about Body Beast is there's nothing fancy about it, in fact it's almost pointless to buy the videos. I downloaded an excel spreadsheet of the workouts and do them myself now. Screw Sagi and his troop of annoying dudebros.

hahaha. Thanks for the suggestion I will keep it in mind. So it sounds like most of the moves in this workout are pretty easy to figure out without the videos? Because man if I can workout 4 days a week and still hit all parts of the body, that'd be jackpot

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Haha, I just finished that routine and yeah, it's pretty easy to memorize since a lot of the moves you've already seen in P90X.

nateeasy

Banned
Just ordered P90X. Should have it by Monday. But I may have it sooner since it is shipping from Ohio. I plan on starting on Monday. Any advice? What is the minimum amount of equipment I need? Just a pullup bar?

I'm currently 5-11 194 pounds. I have decent muscle mass.

I think I got a pretty good deal on the program. Found it for $99 on ebay brand new. Would have costs around $150 from beachbody after shipping.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just ordered P90X. Should have it by Monday. But I may have it sooner since it is shipping from Ohio. I plan on starting on Monday. Any advice? What is the minimum amount of equipment I need? Just a pullup bar?

I think I got a pretty good deal on the program. Found it for $99 on ebay brand new. Would have costs around $150 from beachbody after shipping.

Nice.

Do your best and forget the rest. Whatever fitness level you are, P90X will kick your ass. Stick to it, change the way you approach fitness and life in general and you'll enjoy great results that go farther than just visual improvements.

Oh, and don't skip the yoga.

As for equipment, I'd recommend:

A set of dumbbells that are pretty light (5-10 pounds). A set of dumbbbells that give you a burn after 8-10 reps, and a set of dumbbells heavier than the last one. Also the pull-up bar if you have where to put it, or resistance bands. A Yoga mat is also necessary depending of the type of floor you'll be working out on, and one yoga block may come in handy too.

Have fun.

Depending on the type of surface you are working out on you might want some type of mat/yoga mat. Yoga blocks are well worth the money as well.

nateeasy

Banned
Nice.

Do your best and forget the rest. Whatever fitness level you are, P90X will kick your ass. Stick to it, change the way you approach fitness and life in general and you'll enjoy great results that go farther than just visual improvements.

Oh, and don't skip the yoga.

As for equipment, I'd recommend:

A set of dumbbells that are pretty light (5-10 pounds). A set of dumbbbells that give you a burn after 8-10 reps, and a set of dumbbells heavier than the last one. Also the pull-up bar if you have where to put it, or resistance bands. A Yoga mat is also necessary depending of the type of floor you'll be working out on, and one yoga block may come in handy too.

Have fun.

Depending on the type of surface you are working out on you might want some type of mat/yoga mat. Yoga blocks are well worth the money as well.

Thanks. So can I use resistance bands in place of dumbbells?

____

Because of your post, I decided not to wait on my friend and went to eBay, where I found it for $80 used w/ $10 shipping. Seller says the original box is a tiny bit worn and he filled in the weight info on the nutrition guide, but otherwise, everything is in good shape.

Can't wait till it gets here!

fuenf

Because of your post, I decided not to wait on my friend and went to eBay, where I found it for $80 used w/ $10 shipping. Seller says the original box is a tiny bit worn and he filled in the weight info on the nutrition guide, but otherwise, everything is in good shape.

Can't wait till it gets here!

You can dowloand the weight info part of the nutrition guide from there website: http://www.teambeachbody.com/home/-/dl_get_file/32ea4c06-2287-4660-8adc-8db758929d28

Unfortunately the PDF version only shows the meal approach, and not the more practical portion approach. If you want to get a head start on your diet / shopping list, you can take a look at http://www.thefitclubnetwork.com/2009/01/p90x-nutrition-plan-made-easy/ . They basically took the portion approach section and made a a couple of excel spreadsheets out of it (Nutrition guide and shopping list).

KingGondo

Banned
Cool, thanks.

Quick question -- I'm gonna start writing a daily food log, but I know for a fact what I eat for breakfast every day. There are 2 on-site cafes at my job that cook for breakfast and lunch. Lunch is kind of expensive but breakfast is reasonable.

Every day (M - F) I wake up at 6 - 6:30am, then around 9am, I eat:
1-2 eggs with green/red peppers, onion and mushrooms. No cheese.
Plain yogurt w/ strawberries + granola (parfait, I guess)

And then sometimes I have a banana or apple with it, and a bottle of water.

Regarding wanting to build muscle and also lose unwanted body fat, would that be considered a decent breakfast? Should I be eating more? Substitutions or suggestions?

Lunch for me varies every day (fast food 9 times out of 10), but I usually do the following:

1) Subway - 6" or Footlong (black forest ham / turkey) on Wheat w/ spinach, green peppers, onion, banana peppers, sweet onion teriyaki sauce + bottled water

or

2) Pollo Tropical - small chicken Tropichop w/ 1/2 brown rice + 1/2 lettuce + tomatoes + pineapple rum sauce + bottled water

or

3) Wendy's - Small chili + Small apple pecan chicken salad w/ half the dressing + bottled water

I get off work at 5pm and then from there, dinner turns into whatever's available, which usually means more fast food.
General guidelines to follow:

Emphasize protein, de-emphasize carbs. Try to stay between 75-100 grams of carbs/day.

And again--your lunches sound fine for the most part, but if you make lunches in advance you'll save money and have more control over exactly what goes into your body.

Also, it sounds like dinner is your wild card--you should plan all your dinners for the entire week, and grocery shop for ingredients on the weekend. That way you can't cheat or get impulsive with your dinner choices. "Whatever's available" should rarely be how you determine what you eat.

Feel free to ask people in this thread for some good recipes or dish ideas.

____

You can dowloand the weight info part of the nutrition guide from there website: http://www.teambeachbody.com/home/-/dl_get_file/32ea4c06-2287-4660-8adc-8db758929d28

Unfortunately the PDF version only shows the meal approach, and not the more practical portion approach. If you want to get a head start on your diet / shopping list, you can take a look at http://www.thefitclubnetwork.com/2009/01/p90x-nutrition-plan-made-easy/ . They basically took the portion approach section and made a a couple of excel spreadsheets out of it (Nutrition guide and shopping list).

Damn, nice! Thanks for the links. Reading up on everything now, and just printed out most of it.

General guidelines to follow:

Emphasize protein, de-emphasize carbs. Try to stay between 75-100 grams of carbs/day.

And again--your lunches sound fine for the most part, but if you make lunches in advance you'll save money and have more control over exactly what goes into your body.

Also, it sounds like dinner is your wild card--you should plan all your dinners for the entire week, and grocery shop for ingredients on the weekend. That way you can't cheat or get impulsive with your dinner choices. "Whatever's available" should rarely be how you determine what you eat.

Feel free to ask people in this thread for some good recipes or dish ideas.

Cool -- All good info.

And yes, lol dinner is definitely the meal where I have the biggest question mark. After your advice, I plan to start to shop and pre-cook my lunches / dinners. I have a mini-fridge at my desk at work so things should work out nicely. The Creatine you suggested (and the shake bottle) arrived yesterday, so I think I'm just about ready.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Have you guys heard about / used ZMA? It's a supplement that seems to help with muscle growth and recovery. It was recommended a lot while I was doing some research.

I'm gonna start taking it today.

I really like Back and Six Pack in Asylum 2. Good pairing for a routine. Some great core work using weights.

Got Chamionship today. Still not sure how I feel about the fit test being at the end of it. I'm so dead at the end. Guess that's where the real challenge it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I really like Back and Six Pack in Asylum 2. Good pairing for a routine. Some great core work using weights.

Got Chamionship today. Still not sure how I feel about the fit test being at the end of it. I'm so dead at the end. Guess that's where the real challenge it.

The workout starts when you get tired :)

I'm still gonna do Les Mills Combat after X2, but please keep posting your Asylum 2 impressions. I might do it later.

I'll be starting on the 31st, we'll probably overlap by quite a bit no?

I'm doing three months of Vol. 2.

I've been thinking about getting a tattoo myself so anything that looks good and unique, like yours, stands out to me.

Good luck with the new programs. I look forward to your impressions of and experiences with them!

Thanks, what are you doing next?

Asylum is on it's way. Here's to 2013!

Right on. I'd reccomend doing two months. It takes a little bit to get used to the agility ladder. You'll be a pro by the end of the first month.

FOOTE

I'm probably going to do Insanity next. Never did a complete run with it and I will need to cut after doing body beast.

Did anyone try replacing the P90X cardio days with workouts from Insanity? Good/bad idea?

Last time I did X I replaced Kenpo with Pure Cardio. I really don't like Kenpo and my heart rate monitor logged about 200 more calories burned with Pure Cardio so I never looked back. The fact that Pure Cardio is shorter helped too. Is this your first time through? For the most part I think first timers should follow the schedule exactly but I don't see any harm by swapping out Kenpo. It's not as crucial as the other workouts.

I'm probably going to do Insanity next. Never did a complete run with it and I will need to cut after doing body beast.

Funny, that's exactly how I felt after I did BB. Cardio back in my life feels good.

TrounceX

ugh man i am not feeling an hour and a half of freakin yoga over here

so that means it's time to do some freakin yoga

Good thing that yoga is not really necessary at all.

I honestly cannot imagine a scenario where you're time wouldn't be spent more productively on a different workout. All yoga does is make you feel good and help a bit with flexibility. Do one of the cardio workouts instead.

I'm totally serious.

Have you guys heard about / used ZMA? It's a supplement that seems to help with muscle growth and recovery. It was recommended a lot while I was doing some research.

I'm gonna start taking it today.

I supplemented ZMA once. I was already taking a preworkout/whey/creatine at the time and getting good results so it's hard to say if the ZMA had anything to do with it. Muscle builds so slowly that it's just really hard to tell what is working sometimes.

KingGondo

Banned
Cool -- All good info.

And yes, lol dinner is definitely the meal where I have the biggest question mark. After your advice, I plan to start to shop and pre-cook my lunches / dinners. I have a mini-fridge at my desk at work so things should work out nicely. The Creatine you suggested (and the shake bottle) arrived yesterday, so I think I'm just about ready.
Good to hear--if you use the creatine and protein powder as recommended, you'll see results quicker than you would otherwise.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
ugh man i am not feeling an hour and a half of freakin yoga over here

so that means it's time to do some freakin yoga

I sometimes do Fountain of Youth Yoga from Tony Horton One on One instead of the 1.5 hour version from P90X. It is about 45 minutes long - around 30 of the "poses" and another 15 or so of stretching and abs.

IrishNinja

yeah, harry potter called it - that first half of yoga x is boring as fuck and not very fun at all, thank christ its week 3 so i only gotta do it a few more times according to this schedule

I sometimes do Fountain of Youth Yoga from Tony Horton One on One instead of the 1.5 hour version from P90X. It is about 45 minutes long - around 30 of the "poses" and another 15 or so of stretching and abs.

okay, this sounds a bit better - honestly im down for flexibility (my right hamstring could use the work), but an hour and a half of it, especially so many repeated moves, is pretty off-putting

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Good thing that yoga is not really necessary at all.

I honestly cannot imagine a scenario where you're time wouldn't be spent more productively on a different workout. All yoga does is make you feel good and help a bit with flexibility. Do one of the cardio workouts instead.

I'm totally serious.

I supplemented ZMA once. I was already taking a preworkout/whey/creatine at the time and getting good results so it's hard to say if the ZMA had anything to do with it. Muscle builds so slowly that it's just really hard to tell what is working sometimes.

Tony has said multiple times that, if he could only do one workout for the rest of his life, it would be yoga. The man knows his fitness, so I take his word as to why it is so important.

KtSlime

How do you all do switch grip pull ups without banging into the side of the door frame? I can't seem to keep myself balanced with only one hand. Should I switch to close grip for it?

Also, any tips on Crane pose? I can't get my knees in my armpits. Thanks!

IrishNinja

^man if ive got one foot/toe on a chair i kinda stop a second to switch grips; i have the same problem as you - my room's small and something's gonna give if i try to that shit in midair

also: fuck the crane! that's like the one move i can't do nearly anything with, struggled today just to stay on a toe or two

FOOTE

How do you all do switch grip pull ups without banging into the side of the door frame? I can't seem to keep myself balanced with only one hand. Should I switch to close grip for it?

Also, any tips on Crane pose? I can't get my knees in my armpits. Thanks!

I get off the bar and switch. There is no need, that I can see, to swing around and blast the door frame trying to switch. In X2 Tony and the crew get off and plant their feet before switching. (I believe so anyway, I have to go to another room for my pull-ups so I only watch them once(the very first time)

nateeasy

Banned
41sgYImNrmL._SS400_.jpg

http://sport.woot.com/

The Iron Gym 4 Piece set is on sale at Sport Woot for $19.99. $5 shipping. The lowest price on Amazon for the set is $48.99.

In the box:

(1) Iron Gym IGKIT-MC4 4-Piece Kit includes:

Workout Bar
(2) Ab Straps
(2) Rotating Push-Up Grips
Electronic Ropeless Jump Rope

Seems like a great deal for anyone that needs a pullup bar.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Right on. I'd reccomend doing two months. It takes a little bit to get used to the agility ladder. You'll be a pro by the end of the first month.

Sounds good. I did a lot of agility ladder in high school football, but that was almost 10 years ago, we'll see how quick it comes back to me.

Top Bottom