• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

fuenf

P90X update Week 3:

I've had to insert an extra rest day because I'm currently helping my family move and after lifting furniture all day, I was too tired for Plyo yesterday. Today was pretty much the same, except that I was feeling down and despite lifting quite much, all I wanted to do was to continue my workout and do the Plyo routine. To my surprise I've had a great workout and I'm feeling rejuvenated. I never would've expected things to change that fast, I mean 3 and half weeks ago I had to stop the workout after 20minutes of Plyo and now I'm doing it despite an relatively exhausting day.

It's too early to judge whether P90X will change my body the way I want it to, but what I can safely say is, that it has already helped me unlocking my body's potential. I'm really excited for the rest of the program.

Thanks! And noise concern/volume is generally the same between Asylum 1 and 2?

You know it's been awhile since I've actually done Vol. 1 and I think the jumping is about the same but I don't want to lead your astray. DC just started Vol. 1. Maybe he can give you his thoughts on the amount of jumping.

You know it's been awhile since I've actually done Vol. 1 and I think the jumping is about the same but I don't want to lead your astray. DC just started Vol. 1. Maybe he can give you his thoughts on the amount of jumping.

Thanks! DC, any thought?

Either way...this was super helpful. I got excited just thinking about starting a brand new program again

oh and also, for what it's worth, Beachbody changed their recipe for protein bars - I don't know nutritionally how good they are, but I am eating one right now (Cafe Mocha), it tastes really, really nice.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
One more week of X2 left.

This weekend I had to do a bunch of fence work. We got a new horse and she is a good jumper. The fencing in parts of the fields is wire mesh & wooden posts, not ideal for horses but effective enough, but in some areas it's heavily overgrown and pushed down fairly low, only 18" in some parts.

Anyway I had to install t-post & nylon tape fencing to cover those areas, which'll discourage the horse from attempting to jump them. I installed about 30 t-posts & strung 3 courses of tape. The t-posts are 6' long & metal, and the way you put them in is with this heavy metal tube that's capped on one end and has handles on the sides. You slip it over the top of the post & use the handles to raise & pound in the posts.

And after a year of beachbody workouts -- it was EASY. Didn't get winded or sore.

KingGondo

Banned
One more week of X2 left.

This weekend I had to do a bunch of fence work. We got a new horse and she is a good jumper. The fencing in parts of the fields is wire mesh & wooden posts, not ideal for horses but effective enough, but in some areas it's heavily overgrown and pushed down fairly low, only 18" in some parts.

Anyway I had to install t-post & nylon tape fencing to cover those areas, which'll discourage the horse from attempting to jump them. I installed about 30 t-posts & strung 3 courses of tape. The t-posts are 6' long & metal, and the way you put them in is with this heavy metal tube that's capped on one end and has handles on the sides. You slip it over the top of the post & use the handles to raise & pound in the posts.

And after a year of beachbody workouts -- it was EASY. Didn't get winded or sore.
Functional fitness!™

Nakazato

P90 Day 1 Ass got Kicked so you of shape body hurts legs hurt had to stop a few times missed 10 rips on abs but i got 90 done which im proud off (sweat 1-2)

I wonder of difficult sculpt 1-2 will be tomorrow. Tho i had a rough time today im dectaited to get myself through this. I need a body change im tired of being fat and want to Join the military. but here's to a good start and hopefully a great finish.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
After a month of Asylum Vol. 2 I can safely say that Upper Elite is my all time favorite Beach Body workout. It has everything. Going from press, to arm and shoulder work and then into agility ladder moves is truly exhausting.

The workout keeps you thinking constantly and makes a 60 min routine feel like 30. The lower ab work you get in the press/fly moves is some of the hardest I've come across. Plus, assisted 1 arm push ups is genius. One arm does almost all the work while your other arm acts as a kickstand. With one arm push ups in P90X I feel like its just thrown at you. I now have the tools to actually knock out some 1 arm pushups which was something I've always struggled with. I highly reccomend this program to anyone that wants a total body routine. A +++

How is it compared to Asylum 1 (which I'm on now)? Should I do another month of Asylum 1 just to get the groove, then order 2?

Only thing I dislike about Asylum 1 right now is the weird schedule. Only 2 rest days total, and random stretching days. I know it's only 30 days, but compared to the rigid P90X/2/Insanity schedule it takes some getting used to.

How is it compared to Asylum 1 (which I'm on now)? Should I do another month of Asylum 1 just to get the groove, then order 2?

Only thing I dislike about Asylum 1 right now is the weird schedule. Only 2 rest days total, and random stretching days. I know it's only 30 days, but compared to the rigid P90X/2/Insanity schedule it takes some getting used to.

I like it a lot more than Vol. 1. More emphasis on upper body work with weights. Also less jump rope. I'd like to give it a go with the jump rope but my ceiling fan is in the way.

I'd say do two months of Vol. 1. When I did it the first time I felt like it took me a couple weeks to really get the moves down. So by the second month I really felt like I was giving it 100%.

With the Asylum scehdule I take one whole day off and on the other off day I alternate between Pure Cardio and X2 Yoga. I like the simplicity of the schedule. Maybe you just need a little more time to get used to it.

Btw, BeautifulMemory is wondering how much jumping is in Vol. 1. It's been awhile since I've done it. Would you say it's comparable to the jumping in X2?

Jzero

Add my name to the P90X1 graduate list please!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I did Body Beast Bulk Legs yesterday. This is me today:

oQaMy8m.jpg

I can safely say to everyone.

Les Mills Combat is shit,

If you want to lose weight, do Insanity/Asylum
Want to get bigger, do P90X/Body Beast

I haven't felt pushed in the slightest. I even managed to full 60 min workout without feeling drained.

Save your money.

I can safely say to everyone.

Les Mills Combat is shit,

If you want to lose weight, do Insanity/Asylum
Want to get bigger, do P90X/Body Beast

I haven't felt pushed in the slightest. I even managed to full 60 min workout without feeling drained.

Save your money.

That's a bummer to hear. Could you elaborate a bit?

That's a bummer to hear. Could you elaborate a bit?

The cardio routines just aren't intense. After a night of insanity or asylum cardio you felt dead even if you've done it 50+ times. I've done LMC for 2 weeks now doing the Ultimate Warrior plan (which is the hardest) and I feel like its a beginners program. I just don't feel tired or fatigued even when doing the 30+ minutes exercises.

I think the whole program is aimed around enjoying the experience. It feels more like a sparring session than a cardio program.

Although now typing this out that may be what the program is for.....

I've noticed flexibility improvements in my kicks and I can punch for longer.

But all in all for a fat burner or "getting in the best shape of your life" as they put it. Just stick with the other BB programs.

I'm still sticking with this for the full 90 days and I'll post the results as always. The only way I could recommend this is to someone looking to get into martial arts as that is the areas it will work you.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I still have a month of BB to go, but I'm already looking forward to my next hybrid. I think is gonna look like this:

Day 1: P90X Chest & Back
Day 2: P90X2 P.A.P. Lower
Day 3: P90X2 Shoulders & Arms
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Body Beast Arms
Day 6: Body Beast Shoulders
Day 7: P90X2 Yoga

D23

well im back on doing p90x again after 2 months hiiatues and its killing me.
everything feels so hard and im so sore right now after chest n back

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
infinite_daremo -- shame about LMC. I start next week, also Ultimate Warrior. We'll compare notes. I've been thinking about adding X2 Yoga in on the rest days. Have you considered adding weighted gloves & ankle weights?

SteeloDMZ -- that hybrid looks like it skimps on core & lower body -- maybe you could make it a 14 day schedule & get some more leg workouts in plus some ab rippers?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Thinking further about adding workouts to LMC, I propose a new one:

PAP Gauntlet.
Warm up is a combo of the two PAP warm ups, foam roll lower for 3 minutes.. Then do:
PAP Lower Complex 1 x3
Rest 60 seconds
PAP Lower Complex 2 x3
Rest 3 minutes, foam roll upper
PAP Upper Complex 1 x3
Rest 60 seconds
PAP Upper Complex 2 x3
NIS Stretching lower
NIS Stretching upper
Shavasana on stability ball 60 seconds

This would be once a week.
Thoughts?

____

Hey guys,

I'm on day 13, (P90X) feeling and looking pretty good. Definitely made some great improvements in terms of being able to follow the workouts in transitioning from week 1 to week 2. Especially on Legs & Back and Yoga X -- I was able to do almost all of the strenuous leg routines to completion and keep up this week without my poor little quads and hamstrings breaking down like they did last week. Makes me optimistic for going forward.

Also, with Shoulders & Arms, during week 1, I used 10lb dumbbells, because I didn't know what to expect and didn't want to fatigue my arm muscles before finishing the entire workout. Turned out I don't think I worked myself as hard as I should have, because the weight was too light and I only had 30lb dumbbells to switch to. This week, I used 20lb dumbbells I borrowed from a friend and it felt much more like what I think an arm workout should feel like. Once I was done, my muscles were pumped and solid, and I felt great (while w/ the 10lbs, I felt like I had done 'something' with my arms, but not a complete workout). I think I might try to start using the 30lb dumbbells with lower reps within the next couple weeks.

I have a couple quick questions if you guys don't mind:

1) Before starting P90X, I used to run few miles (outside, not treadmill) 3 - 4 days a week. Can I / Should I continue to do that? Since starting P90X, I have not done any exercise outside of the program but I can't help but feel like if I add some additional running in, I will lose some extra body fat, which is my first goal.

2) Also, before starting P90X, I used to do pushups on a daily basis (anywhere between 50 - 100 a day). Usually some in the morning and some at night. Again, since starting P90X, I have been trying to stick strictly to the program, but I feel like I'm going too many days without doing chest / pushups. Of course, Chest & Back is day one of my weekly routine, but I don't do chest again until the small and spread out amount of pushups done in Yoga X. Should I / Can I mix in some pushups daily or every few days, or should I follow the program so I allow my chest muscles have proper time to heal?

Hey guys,

I'm on day 13, (P90X) feeling and looking pretty good. Definitely made some great improvements in terms of being able to follow the workouts in transitioning from week 1 to week 2. Especially on Legs & Back and Yoga X -- I was able to do almost all of the strenuous leg routines to completion and keep up this week without my poor little quads and hamstrings breaking down like they did last week. Makes me optimistic for going forward.

Also, with Shoulders & Arms, during week 1, I used 10lb dumbbells, because I didn't know what to expect and didn't want to fatigue my arm muscles before finishing the entire workout. Turned out I don't think I worked myself as hard as I should have, because the weight was too light and I only had 30lb dumbbells to switch to. This week, I used 20lb dumbbells I borrowed from a friend and it felt much more like what I think an arm workout should feel like. Once I was done, my muscles were pumped and solid, and I felt great (while w/ the 10lbs, I felt like I had done 'something' with my arms, but not a complete workout). I think I might try to start using the 30lb dumbbells with lower reps within the next couple weeks.

I have a couple quick questions if you guys don't mind:

1) Before starting P90X, I used to run few miles (outside, not treadmill) 3 - 4 days a week. Can I / Should I continue to do that? Since starting P90X, I have not done any exercise outside of the program but I can't help but feel like if I add some additional running in, I will lose some extra body fat, which is my first goal.

2) Also, before starting P90X, I used to do pushups on a daily basis (anywhere between 50 - 100 a day). Usually some in the morning and some at night. Again, since starting P90X, I have been trying to stick strictly to the program, but I feel like I'm going too many days without doing chest / pushups. Of course, Chest & Back is day one of my weekly routine, but I don't do chest again until the small and spread out amount of pushups done in Yoga X. Should I / Can I mix in some pushups daily or every few days, or should I follow the program so I allow my chest muscles have proper time to heal?

Personally, I'd probably take it pretty easy on both. I don't see any harm in a run every once in awhile. Just be careful with your knees. Plyo day can sneak up on your fast. Same goes with push ups. You might not even realize how much of your upper body you're using on other days. You wouldn't want to be sore and not give 100%. The fat loss will come with hard work, diet and time. Be in this for the long haul.

____

Personally, I'd probably take it pretty easy on both. I don't see any harm in a run every once in awhile. Just be careful with your knees. Plyo day can sneak up on your fast. Same goes with push up. You might not even realize how much of your upper body you're using on other days. You wouldn't want to be sore and not give 100%. The fat loss will come with hard work, diet and time. Be in this for the long haul.

Cool, seems like solid advice -- I'll stick to the program as is. I don't have too much fat to get rid of, and I definitely notice a difference in the short time I've been doing the program (I'll post pics later) so I figured it might be worth a shot, but I also don't want to rush my progress.

KingGondo

Banned
I used to be a heavy runner as well, but I waited until my second round of P90X to incorporate running into my routine (via the Doubles schedule).

It's utterly exhausting to do a 5K in the morning then say, ch/sh/tris in the afternoon/evening, but you'll definitely see results.

I used to have bad shin splints and knee tenderness, and after doing P90X my leg strength gains (and weight loss) made running enjoyable again.

____

I used to be a heavy runner as well, but I waited until my second round of P90X to incorporate running into my routine (via the Doubles schedule).

It's utterly exhausting to do a 5K in the morning then say, ch/sh/tris in the afternoon/evening, but you'll definitely see results.

I used to have bad shin splints and knee tenderness, and after doing P90X my leg strength gains (and weight loss) made running enjoyable again.

Cool, good to hear, too. I can definitely wait until later -- I just didn't want to lose out on the progress I had made with my running as far as endurance / fatigue / lung capacity went. I went from not being able to run on the treadmill without having extreme soreness / weird tingling sensation in my legs to running on the treadmill pretty comfortably for 20 mins at a time to jogging 2 - 3 miles outdoors without stopping or getting winded at all.

I hated leg workouts my entire life, and I think I pay for it each time I decided to skip out on legs or go easy, because once I do the next leg workout, I feel like I have puny baby legs again and break down early lol. But with the combination of running a lot in 2012 for endurance, and now doing the P90X leg workouts for size, definition, etc., I feel muuuuuch better about my leg muscle performance overall.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
infinite_daremo -- shame about LMC. I start next week, also Ultimate Warrior. We'll compare notes. I've been thinking about adding X2 Yoga in on the rest days. Have you considered adding weighted gloves & ankle weights?

SteeloDMZ -- that hybrid looks like it skimps on core & lower body -- maybe you could make it a 14 day schedule & get some more leg workouts in plus some ab rippers?

Oops, yeah, I forgot to add the ab workouts. I'll be doing beast abs on monday, x2 ab ripper on wednesday and beast abs on friday.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
How well dose p90/p90x get you in running shape? I would like to run a 5k by the end of it with out stopping.

Absolutely awesome results, specially with P90X2. I did my first 10k last November and it went really well without ever training for it, other than my regular X2 schedule.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Going for a jog on rest/yoga days, yay or nay? I also did a lot of jogging before this and I'm missing the opportunity to get outdoors a bit. What would be the ideal time to work a jog in?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
If your body is ready and recovered, do it. If you struggle during the jog or during an actual P90X workout, it would be better to not do it and instead take a well deserved rest day.

Nakazato

Absolutely awesome results, specially with P90X2. I did my first 10k last November and it went really well without ever training for it, other than my regular X2 schedule.
Thanks for the head up :) got to get into running shape very soon. im only on my 4th day of p90 but so far so good hope to be on p90x by april.

I went from 128 lbs. in early 2012 to 158 lbs. today.

I haven't done P90X in a while (since Summer 2010) so I used two weeks as a "warmup" to go slow and do Day 1-3 at my own pace and I didn't really set aside a schedule so it was a bit of a messy plan. I started my official Day One yesterday and I was actually able to perform so much better so I'm kind of glad I did a "warmup". I drink whey and take Zinc/Omega-3 Fish Oil pills as supplements and try to loosely follow the nutrition guide (I'm still 18 and growing so I need a lot of dairy, etc.)

Feels good to be back! :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's only been two weeks now, but I'm already seeing noticeable results across the board in terms of my performance. This has been great.

Kerrinck

Just started Week 1 of P90x and plyo completely destroyed my legs and it's still painful to move. Day 5 now and I am sure I can't do the legs and back exercise.
Do I take a rest day until my legs recover or switch to a different exercise?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'd just stick with the schedule. Once you're warmed up and doing the routine you should feel better. And if you do find yourself unable to do the moves, then go ahead and stop & wait another day -- but I found that on those days I was able to push through just fine.

For myself, I treat rationales like "I'm too sore from yesterday" as excuses. Excuses are a slippery slope. Once you start skipping workouts because you're too sore, too tired, want to watch a TV show 'just this once', etc you might find yourself doing it more & more often until you're simply not working out regularly anymore. So for me, injury, illness or some disaster are my only excuses. If I'm traveling I will try to do at least SOMETHING each day.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Great job! What area(s) have you noticed the most?
My flexibility has *hugely* improved, I can actually do some unassisted push-ups, I'm getting further and further into Ab Ripper X without having to take a break or pause and my body no longer feels like shit for days after a workout.

I've also continued to lose some weight (I was already thanks to some jogging) and I'm seeing some slight muscle definition (this could be in my head, it's only been two weeks).

Overall, I'm very happy. It's improved my daily routine-management and sleep-scheduling almost by accident, which is a nice perk.

Kerrinck

I'd just stick with the schedule. Once you're warmed up and doing the routine you should feel better. And if you do find yourself unable to do the moves, then go ahead and stop & wait another day -- but I found that on those days I was able to push through just fine.

For myself, I treat rationales like "I'm too sore from yesterday" as excuses. Excuses are a slippery slope. Once you start skipping workouts because you're too sore, too tired, want to watch a TV show 'just this once', etc you might find yourself doing it more & more often until you're simply not working out regularly anymore. So for me, injury, illness or some disaster are my only excuses. If I'm traveling I will try to do at least SOMETHING each day.

Thanks for the help.
Actually managed to go through with it. The pain mostly disappeared after the body got warm so I am glad I didn't skip it.
By the way, are you guys doing ab ripper x immediately after the session or do you take a break?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Thanks for the help.
Actually managed to go through with it. The pain mostly disappeared after the body got warm so I am glad I didn't skip it.
By the way, are you guys doing ab ripper x immediately after the session or do you take a break?

Excellent!

I always did the Ab Ripper as scheduled, immediately following the workout. The exception was P90X2's Base & Back workout, I was always too wiped out afterwards to jump right in to X2 Ab Ripper. Several people here recommend doing the Ab Ripper workout first, but it's my belief that the program is designed with the Ab workouts where they are for a reason, and switching them around may not give me the macimum benefits the program's designers intended. But that's just my own rationale. Do what works best for you.

owlbeak

Starting P90X again tonight and then doing the program with a coworker before work each morning.

I made it to around day 60 or so when I did this last time in May-July last year and had great results. I've stayed around the same weight since I stopped doing it, but time to get down to 150 from 160.

This thread was a great motivator last time, so I'll be sure to stay with it.

Red

I tried getting into p90x at the beginning of January, after doing basically nothing for about three months. I used to go to the gym regularly, and I've been pretty active before that for years... But man, the first week wiped me out. I like p90x much more than i thought i would. I used to lift heavier than what I'm doing for this routine, but i think it's about time i give up chasing size. Been sticking primarily to bands.

My only two problems:
Roof in the house is too low for me to fully extend arms overhead or jump high
No part of my house can support a pull up bar, so i am missing a good chunk of back exercises

You guys have suggestions for what could be substituted for pull ups?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I tried getting into p90x at the beginning of January, after doing basically nothing for about three months. I used to go to the gym regularly, and I've been pretty active before that for years... But man, the first week wiped me out. I like p90x much more than i thought i would. I used to lift heavier than what I'm doing for this routine, but i think it's about time i give up chasing size. Been sticking primarily to bands.

My only two problems:
Roof in the house is too low for me to fully extend arms overhead or jump high
No part of my house can support a pull up bar, so i am missing a good chunk of back exercises

You guys have suggestions for what could be substituted for pull ups?

If you have the resistance bands, then you can use them like the kids on the vids for a pull up variation.

Top Bottom