• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

So what are Gaf's thoughts on braces? I'll be coming back from my injury in the next few days and I'm considering getting a brace for my left thigh...but I'm not sure what they actually do. I know that they're for people who, like me, are recovering from injury but would it be beneficial?

Ubersnug

Well, Fitness GAF, I just completed my 4th Insanity fitness test and almost halfway through the second last week of Month 2.

resultsmwrxp.png

Not quite sure how I managed to let myself down on the switch kicks, especially when I did better on all the other exercises. Also, what the chart doesn't show here, was between fitness test 3 and 4, I had actually got myself down to 202.5 lbs, but managed to gain a pound, despite the heavy workouts, by the end of week 6. I couldn't help but feel as if I had let myself down.

Also, since Saturday afternoon through to Monday night, my entire body felt extremely fatigued. I could barely move. Doing ANYTHING felt like an effort I was incapable of achieving. It was the worse crash my body has ever experienced. I had an appetite that was insatiable and I even lowered myself to eating some junk food to try and satisfy it that way - which it didn't. When it was time to do Monday's routine, I had never felt so unmotivated since I started this almost 2 months ago. Getting out of bed was a struggle and getting into the actual routine was more difficult than usual - I still worked through it though.

However, come Monday night, I managed to find the energy to do the fitness test after work (I split the fitness test up from the scheduled routine, didn't have the time to do both in the morning before work), no idea where from. I did have a moment where I told myself off for letting myself slip over the weekend. not sure if that was enough to get me back into it.

But, regardless, here I am. 1 and a half weeks away from finishing my first run through of Insanity. Thought I may have lost a bit more weight than I had this far, but at least I have made some gains.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I feel bad for not doing my workouts for about a month now.

I've been doing Insanity from March - June, but then stopped. I'm going to start it up again with T25 today, hoping it's good!

It's great, hope you enjoy it!

So what are Gaf's thoughts on braces? I'll be coming back from my injury in the next few days and I'm considering getting a brace for my left thigh...but I'm not sure what they actually do. I know that they're for people who, like me, are recovering from injury but would it be beneficial?

I have a knee brace the soft neoprene kind that velcroes around your leg and an ace bandage for my ankle. If I tweak a knee or an ankle I'll work out with them on for a few weeks until the joint feels better. The point is to keep the joint stable & straight during exercise.

If you keep getting injured, your form is probably off, so when you're feeling well enough to exercise, slow down & concentrate on your form. Make sure you land toe-ball-heel and bend your knees slightly when you come down from any jump. And make sure your toes and knees are always tracking in the same direction during squats & lunges and landings. You don't want to buckle your knees inward or outward. The brace/wrap will help you do that, but you also want to train yourself to do it right.

But, regardless, here I am. 1 and a half weeks away from finishing my first run through of Insanity. Thought I may have lost a bit more weight than I had this far, but at least I have made some gains.

You sure have! Congrats, you're almost there! Don't sweat numbers that are down a bit in your fitness tests, or even off-days. They happen. As long as you keep pushing Play you're doing the right thing!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well T-25 is doing something. I haven't really lost much weight but I am noticing my midsection is shrinking a bit and everything is looking a bit tighter. Still have this stubborn mini tire and some love handles (thanks genetics) but I'm looking better.

Just 'got through' day 2 of Insanity. I had an even harder time getting through than the fit test, it seemed a lot more intense. I could only do a few things for the last 2-3 sets per exercise. I managed to keep up the martial arts a bit longer... when I pushed extra hard I could do it at an incredibly fast speed, even keeping the form intact (probably since I used to do martial arts when I was little and sometimes did a few minutes of hitting air every now and then to keep my punches sharp). But my legs were kinda out. I just couldn't jump anymore. My condition is very bad and I've never had very strong legs though (my feet and lower legs always start to hurt when I walk a lot or stand still a lot... basically, that part is the first that runs out of juice).

Only could do the beginning of the cooldown. Then I dropped down to the floor and I just couldn't do anymore.

Sometimes my water tastes crappy, so it's not very refreshing to drink at those moments. Need to figure something out for that (maybe use my other water crane). I feel like I have to throw up again, but I can hold it in. I ate less the 1.5 hours before, thats probably why.

Man, I really hope my condition improves. I'll be glad if I can manage to get through a cooldown once. At the moment it doesn't seem to matter that much. I run out of energy before my muscles will become sore... or maybe I'm wrong and I'll feel it in a few hours or tomorrow.

Chris R

Well T-25 is doing something. I haven't really lost much weight but I am noticing my midsection is shrinking a bit and everything is looking a bit tighter. Still have this stubborn mini tire and some love handles (thanks genetics) but I'm looking better.

You are my twin. Scale isn't moving but I feel better and was able to do much better on Cardio last night than the first day.

Also I guess I missed the stretching on Sunday bit of the calendar, I'll just throw it in sometime this week.

Just 'got through' day 2 of Insanity. I had an even harder time getting through than the fit test, it seemed a lot more intense. I could only do a few things for the last 2-3 sets per exercise. I managed to keep up the martial arts a bit longer... when I pushed extra hard I could do it at an incredibly fast speed, even keeping the form intact (probably since I used to do martial arts when I was little and sometimes did a few minutes of hitting air every now and then to keep my punches sharp). But my legs were kinda out. I just couldn't jump anymore. My condition is very bad and I've never had very strong legs though (my feet and lower legs always start to hurt when I walk a lot or stand still a lot... basically, that part is the first that runs out of juice).

Only could do the beginning of the cooldown. Then I dropped down to the floor and I just couldn't do anymore.

Sometimes my water tastes crappy, so it's not very refreshing to drink at those moments. Need to figure something out for that (maybe use my other water crane). I feel like I have to throw up again, but I can hold it in. I ate less the 1.5 hours before, thats probably why.

Man, I really hope my condition improves. I'll be glad if I can manage to get through a cooldown once. At the moment it doesn't seem to matter that much. I run out of energy before my muscles will become sore... or maybe I'm wrong and I'll feel it in a few hours or tomorrow.

I was sick after my first fit test as well. I did it in the afternoon after my lunch. If you can, try doing your workout in the morning before breakfast. I'd wake up, have a spoonful of peanut butter, give it 15 minutes to digest and then to the workout. After that I'd make breakfast/shower. Give it a try and you might feel better :)

Korosenai

Yea, I do all of my Insanity workouts as soon as I wake up. I usually take a scoop of no xplode and some creatine about 30 minutes before to get me going.

izakq

Got back from vacation and I've continued on the third week of month 2 for Insanity. Couldn't do Insanity during vacation, as I had no access to a DVD player. I thought I would gain some weight with the crazy amount of food that was being cooked and such, but it wasn't too bad. That and the long hiking/walking that we did, had helped somewhat. But man, getting back into it again yesterday, I was hurting. C'mon, two more weeks, two more weeks!

I was sick after my first fit test as well. I did it in the afternoon after my lunch. If you can, try doing your workout in the morning before breakfast. I'd wake up, have a spoonful of peanut butter, give it 15 minutes to digest and then to the workout. After that I'd make breakfast/shower. Give it a try and you might feel better :)

Yeah, I think doing it in the morning might be best. It also means I'll be less pre-occupied with doing it and that I have plenty of energy to do things during the day. Doing it early evening or late afternoon isn't very handy.

I feel good afterwards though. I don't know why, I just do, despite some pain in my legs. A few years ago I found out that I had an extremely poor condition when my biology teacher had some kind of blow test. I think I had the poorest in the class (and I wasn't even that fat, though I gained a bit since). It was like... diabetes-low. It's not just caused due to lack of exercise though... I don't smoke, but there were a lot of smokers around me (my mom never cared that smoking is very detrimental for her children's health, even moreso than her own and she probably classifies it as bull). Always wanted to exercise, but never really got around doing it after my teenage years.

Man, I used to be above average. Not to the extreme, of course, but still significantly better than most folks in terms of condition. I want to be able to run a few miles instead of running out of juice before even finishing a single kilometer.

Yeah, I think doing it in the morning might be best. It also means I'll be less pre-occupied with doing it and that I have plenty of energy to do things during the day. Doing it early evening or late afternoon isn't very handy.

I feel good afterwards though. I don't know why, I just do, despite some pain in my legs. A few years ago I found out that I had an extremely poor condition when my biology teacher had some kind of blow test. I think I had the poorest in the class (and I wasn't even that fat, though I gained a bit since). It was like... diabetes-low. It's not just caused due to lack of exercise though... I don't smoke, but there were a lot of smokers around me (my mom never cared that smoking is very detrimental for her children's health, even moreso than her own and she probably classifies it as bull). Always wanted to exercise, but never really got around doing it after my teenage years.

Man, I used to be above average. Not to the extreme, of course, but still significantly better than most folks in terms of condition. I want to be able to run a few miles instead of running out of juice before even finishing a single kilometer.

Keep it up then :D Just keep thinking of how you feel after your workouts at the moment as there will be times in the 60 days when you just want to give up and never get out of bed again. Do you have anyone to do it with you? I didn't, which I think makes it much harder. It's also difficult not to have anyone to check your form is ok, so make sure yours is or else you'll get injured like I did!

Also, if you haven't already, I'd suggest taking some photos (front, side, at an angle, tensing etc). You don't have to put them on here or anything, but on day 30 I had an off-day and lost a lot of motivation. However, I decided on day 1 that I would take photos on day 1, 30 and 60 to keep track of my progress. Comparing day 1 to day 30 was a massive boost for my motivation as the difference was waaay more than I expected :)

Sadly, I don't have anyone to do it with or to motivate me. I'm trying to do it by keeping a log that says how I feel afterwards and by putting a big red cross through the schedule every day. As for the form, I do try to do it as best I can. For the pushups, if I have too little energy, I'm not able to stop just above the floor and get myself up again. I either have to do it roughly halfway or drop to the floor, but I do keep the form right. At times it's very hard to keep the form right for some exercises due to being too exhausted. If I get a bit too frustrated for not being able to keep going with an exercise, I do remember to keep moving so I flail my arms and body around a bit (legs moving too) to keep moving and then I can go for a bit again. Seems to help get some extra spare energy for a few more.

And yes, I did indeed take some pictures. Also intended to do so after month 1 and then month 2. I could use the extra motivation, since month 2 is supposed to be harder.

During the entire exercise I do often get some negative thoughts, but I also keep regaining my will to continue. It's like a mental process of hitting walls, knowing you may not be able to break them, but to continue hitting them, just because you can.

Tobinishi

Finally got my P90X today :). Hopefully i will be able to start in the next few days.

Some questions:

How bad is it to skip some days? I'm on vacation with some friends and i wont be able to train a whole weekend.

Alcohol absolute no-go? Smoking?

Thx in advance :)

Sadly, I don't have anyone to do it with or to motivate me. I'm trying to do it by keeping a log that says how I feel afterwards and by putting a big red cross through the schedule every day. As for the form, I do try to do it as best I can. For the pushups, if I have too little energy, I'm not able to stop just above the floor and get myself up again. I either have to do it roughly halfway or drop to the floor, but I do keep the form right. At times it's very hard to keep the form right for some exercises due to being too exhausted. If I get a bit too frustrated for not being able to keep going with an exercise, I do remember to keep moving so I flail my arms and body around a bit (legs moving too) to keep moving and then I can go for a bit again. Seems to help get some extra spare energy for a few more.

And yes, I did indeed take some pictures. Also intended to do so after month 1 and then month 2. I could use the extra motivation, since month 2 is supposed to be harder.

During the entire exercise I do often get some negative thoughts, but I also keep regaining my will to continue. It's like a mental process of hitting walls, knowing you may not be able to break them, but to continue hitting them, just because you can.

All sounds good. It sounds like in your mind you're motivated to do it, which is the most important thing of all. And good idea with the photos. If you don't mind me asking, are you trying to lose weight or gain fitness?

In my quest to recover from my injury, I've done the warm-up to Plyometric Cardio Circuit three times. The first workout I did in the morning, and I just did the initial, slow version of the workout. This afternoon I did the first wave of the workout followed by the second, and then tonight I did all three waves of the warm-up, except for wave three I repeated the speeds I reached in wave 2 instead of going all out like Shaun tells us to.

Mercifully, I didn't feel my injury bothering me at all :D I'll be starting again on either Thursday or Friday and I can't bloody wait!

Just finished day one of P90X. I meant to start yesterday but riding a century on Sunday was a bit harder than I anticipated.

Here's some thoughts:

I probably don't have enough weight. I went and bought 25lb dumbbells to go with my 5, 10, and 15s, but in time I can see 25 not being enough. Also, ow, everything from my chest up hurts after Chest and Back.

Also, Ab Ripper X does not fuck around. I could barely do any of those moves. Some seem straight up impossible. Oh god.

Plyo is tomorrow. Looking forward to it/dreading it.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Finally got my P90X today :). Hopefully i will be able to start in the next few days.

Some questions:

How bad is it to skip some days? I'm on vacation with some friends and i wont be able to train a whole weekend.

Alkohol absolute no-go? Smoking?

I'd wait until you are back from your vacations to start the program. The thing with P90X is, is not just a "program" that you do for a period of time and then quit. Instead, you should be looking at it as a reason to change your current life style, meaning that excuses for not working out should stop (don't skip days) and also eliminate (or at least try to avoid) unhealthy stuff like smoking and drinking. It will be hard, but you need to be willing to make those changes if you want to experience the best results possible.

Good luck man.

Just finished day one of P90X. I meant to start yesterday but riding a century on Sunday was a bit harder than I anticipated.

Here's some thoughts:

I probably don't have enough weight. I went and bought 25lb dumbbells to go with my 5, 10, and 15s, but in time I can see 25 not being enough. Also, ow, everything from my chest up hurts after Chest and Back.

Also, Ab Ripper X does not fuck around. I could barely do any of those moves. Some seem straight up impossible. Oh god.

Plyo is tomorrow. Looking forward to it/dreading it.

If you have the chance, you should get one of those sets od adjustable dumbbelss, since you'll need more weight for back/shoulder exercises.

Also, tomorrow Plyo X is gonna be a lot of fun ;)

gotoadgo

By the end of Insanity you'll be able to run more than a few miles, trust me on that one. I went from being able to do 5km stop and start in about 45 minutes. At the end of Insanity I could do 9km straight in under an hour and probably could have kept going. Keep at it, the first week you'll be sore and tired but just keep pushing and the results will come.

FOOTE

Starting week three of T25 tomorrow morning at 5am. These things seem to fly by when you first start them...(I skipped the stretch day last week and started the week a day early so Wednesdays are my new day 1 of my workout week)

HORRORSHØW

Some questions:

Alcohol absolute no-go? Smoking?

You can take off days, depending on your goals. Are you trying to bulk up or trim down? If you're aiming for the former, skip the cardio days; if you're aiming for the latter, skip the weight days.

Alcohol is calorie dense, but you can have a few drinks here and there. You should definitely try to cut back, though. Smoking is one of the hardest things to quit! I guess it's okay if you can keep up during plyo, but you should also try to cut back. Good luck!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just a reminder, today is the last day of Beachbody's special pricing on the Focus T25 Challenge Pack. Normally $205, the challenge pack is on sale through the end of today (July 31) for $180 with free shipping. Challenge Packs include the workout program as well as Shakeology. If you were to buy these separately, it would cost you $250 plus shipping, so it's over $70 savings.

Tomorrow the price goes back to normal. So if you've been thinking about it, it's a great time to go ahead & take the plunge.

Also, Shaun T has released details of his Focus T25 challenge, which starts on August 5. Details are here on his Facebook page. Shaun T's great about stuff like this, he did something similar with Insanity earlier in the year & posted about his workouts daily. In this case, at the end there'll be prizes -- two people will win a one-on-one phone call with Shaun T. You have to post before & after pictures (with proof of the date in each) and weekly accountability videos, so there's a bit of work involved. But it should be fun even if you're just following Shaun T's accountability.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Grimløck;73954803 said:
You can take off days, depending on your goals. Are you trying to bulk up or trim down? If you're aiming for the former, skip the cardio days; if you're aiming for the latter, skip the weight days.

Alcohol is calorie dense, but you can have a few drinks here and there. You should definitely try to cut back, though. Smoking is one of the hardest things to quit! I guess it's okay if you can keep up during plyo, but you should also try to cut back. Good luck!

I don't recommend skipping anything, specially if it is your first time doing the program.

All sounds good. It sounds like in your mind you're motivated to do it, which is the most important thing of all. And good idea with the photos. If you don't mind me asking, are you trying to lose weight or gain fitness?

In my quest to recover from my injury, I've done the warm-up to Plyometric Cardio Circuit three times. The first workout I did in the morning, and I just did the initial, slow version of the workout. This afternoon I did the first wave of the workout followed by the second, and then tonight I did all three waves of the warm-up, except for wave three I repeated the speeds I reached in wave 2 instead of going all out like Shaun tells us to.

Mercifully, I didn't feel my injury bothering me at all :D I'll be starting again on either Thursday or Friday and I can't bloody wait!

I don't care about 'weight' at all. But I do want to get rid of my fat to get a flat belly (might be a bit too much for 2 months, but I hope to at least lose a significant amount). So I suppose losing weight is something that comes with it, but I'm not really that heavy in the first place. I'm not very tall though, so maybe slightly overweight. And I also want to gain fitness.

Well, did day 3 of the test. It was very heavy, but I couldn't do it in the morning. My legs were still hurting too much to start. I did do it earlier, so I'm hoping to move it to my morning routine. I did the stuff I was supposed to do today in the morning instead. I think I kept up a bit longer at the start before I needed to take breaks or slowed down. But in-between I think I got exhausted a bit more. Part of that is that some of my muscles did felt a bit sore (mostly, below the shoulders a bit). I also had a decent amount of pain in my right foot, but that went away a bit later. It did cost me extra energy and concentration though. I'll keep in mind that I may need to get some support for my feet if that keeps happening. Don't worry, I won't overdo it and I know my limits.

I also get a sore throat. I noticed it yesterday as well. Seems to be common for someone who's not used to exercising (anymore). Had no urge to vomit though, but it was roughly 2 hours since I ate.

After today I felt bad, it felt hellish even. I feel fairly good again now though. I'm expecting sore arms tomorrow from the pushup walk from today (I didn't think I could do anymore and only could do 3-4 before needing a few seconds rest... but all of a sudden I was able to do 10+ without resting). Same for the jumping... at some point I just couldn't jump anymore and then I had a sudden burst of energy where I could manage to do so faster than before, for a short amount of time. Seems like I'm tapping into my hidden energy reserves a bit more often now (well, hidden... more like energy reserves my body usually refuses to use). I also sweated more than the days before.

And for some reason I start to crave for a shower and something other than water. I usually love water, but during the exercise it doesn't really taste very well. Do you think light lemonade instead would be fine (made with syrup)?

By the end of Insanity you'll be able to run more than a few miles, trust me on that one. I went from being able to do 5km stop and start in about 45 minutes. At the end of Insanity I could do 9km straight in under an hour and probably could have kept going. Keep at it, the first week you'll be sore and tired but just keep pushing and the results will come.

I definitely hope so. I'm happy that I managed to keep up for 3 days so far and I'm happy with 3 crosses in the schedule.

Thanks for the encouragement of you guys so far. It's definitely a bit motivating. At some point I'll probably stop posting daily updates.

big_z

I'd like to see video of you doing T25 workouts, big_z. Alpha Cardio and Speed 1.0 are the easier Alpha workouts, with Ab Intervals and Lower Focus in the middle and Total Body Circuit on top in terms of challenge -- but all of them can be made challenging depending on how you do them.

In lunges, is your torso completely vertical? Does your back knee almost touch the ground at the bottom of the move, and is your front leg completely straight at the top?

In squats, at the bottom do you keep your chest up, your weight in your heels, butt pushed back, and drop your hips so your upper legs are BELOW parallel -- and then at the top are you standing up perfectly straight, hips thrust forward?

In high knee runs & mountain climbers are your knees coming ABOVE your waist?

And are you doing all the agility moves at their pace with no missteps and perfect form?

If so, then yes, maybe t25 is too easy for you. But there aren't many people who can do all of the difficulty mods and call the workouts "easy".

I always do correct form, full motion. I'm nearly complete my 6-7th round of insanity so I'm no stranger to these workouts. I was at the worst shape of my life when I first started insanity. i had to take breaks during the warm up, that's how bad but i was able to stick with it. Now I can rip through the workouts with only the odd break usually later in the video. They're still great workouts. T25 is substantially easier, even shaun t says if you've done insanity t25
might not be for you. If insanity is doable when really out of shape and is a better workout then why bother with t25 if choosing between the two?

T25 would be an okay supplement to a weight lifting routine if you want to add a little bit of cardio instead of just running but otherwise insanity IMO. Btw If you are doing t25 you should absolutely not be doing the Tanya modifiers unless recoving from an injury.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
big-z, you have to remember that most people aren't like you. You're clearly very athletic. Most people are not. I'm happy for your success, but to be honest you're coming across as more than a bit arrogant.

big_z

big-z, you have to remember that most people aren't like you. You're clearly very athletic. Most people are not. I'm happy for your success, but to be honest you're coming across as more than a bit arrogant.

both can be done even if you're an out of shape 300lb beginner. Insanity is a better workout that you won't grow out of as fast so its a better investment. That's all I'm trying to say.

tmarques

Finished P90X about a week ago. Wanted to see whether I could do without my gym membership and ended up enjoying it a lot. I actually gained an inch of biceps (which I realise sounds ridiculous but I had been stuck at the same measurements for almost a year, so please don't laugh).

So... not sure where to go next. As much as I love cardio, I actually would like to put on a couple of pounds of (hopefully lean) mass, so Insanity is out of the question. Looks like way too many people were disappointed with P90X2 and just by reading descriptions it does seem like it focuses a lot more on cardio than weightlifting. Thinking of ordering Body Beast and combining it with P90x, but I have no intention of buying a bench, barbell, etc. Anyone tried it with a Pilates ball (or whatever it's called), dumbbells and a chin-up bar? I'm mostly concerned about the safety of lifting weights while lying on a ball.

Also, any word on P90X3?

Day 4 Insanity done. Had a hard time holding the positions. Other than that it was mostly doable. Maybe weird to describe, but I felt 'stretched' afterwards. Still pretty rough, but it feels rather light compared to the previous days.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
both can be done even if you're an out of shape 300lb beginner. Insanity is a better workout that you won't grow out of as fast so its a better investment. That's all I'm trying to say.

I understand what you mean, but I don't think that most people will "grow out of" T25. The difficulty increases progressively as you move through. Even in the Alpha phase, there are relatively easy and relatively difficult workouts -- Alpha: Cardio and Speed 1.0 are fairly "easy", while Lower Focus and (especially) Total Body Circuit are harder. And as you progress through Alpha, you're doing the harder exercises more frequently, until in Week 5 of Alpha you're doing Total Body Circuit 3 times. The Beta schedule is similar (although I haven't started Beta yet).

In addition, Insanity does have a couple flaws. For one, it does not talk at all about modifications, or what to do if your form starts slipping as you get fatigued, and that can lead to injury. A lot of people get injuries their first time through Insanity. Second, the stretch period after the warm-up is kind of old-school thinking -- trainers and fitness experts are now thinking that shorter, dynamic and active stretches are better for you than static stretches. Beachbody acknowledges this, too -- the newer live Insanity classes are structured with dynamic & active stretches instead of the static stretches in the video program and the first round of live classes.

This doesn't make Insanity any less effective, and shouldn't turn people off from doing it, whether as a beginner or if they're already in good shape! But T25 does incorporate the newer thinking about stretching, and shows you how to modify when you need it, and I think it as a whole is better designed than Insanity.

Plus, Shaun T is absolutely at the top of his game in it.

Finished P90X about a week ago. Wanted to see whether I could do without my gym membership and ended up enjoying it a lot. I actually gained an inch of biceps (which I realise sounds ridiculous but I had been stuck at the same measurements for almost a year, so please don't laugh).

So... not sure where to go next. As much as I love cardio, I actually would like to put on a couple of pounds of (hopefully lean) mass, so Insanity is out of the question. Looks like way too many people were disappointed with P90X2 and just by reading descriptions it does seem like it focuses a lot more on cardio than weightlifting. Thinking of ordering Body Beast and combining it with P90x, but I have no intention of buying a bench, barbell, etc. Anyone tried it with a Pilates ball (or whatever it's called), dumbbells and a chin-up bar? I'm mostly concerned about the safety of lifting weights while lying on a ball.

Also, any word on P90X3?

You can absolutely do Body Beast using a stability ball and dumbbells. In every video they have someone doing just that. Note that you *MUST* have a heavy duty stability ball. I recommend buying Beachbody's Premium Stability Ball, because then you know for certain that it'll stand up to the work you'll put it through.

As to P90X3, I haven't even heard any hints. That said, this year it's all been about Focus T25 and so I'm sure Beachbody doesn't want to dilute attention from it.

I think that Body Beast + Focus T25 is pretty much a perfect combination. I'm not doing both right now, because it's my first time through Focus T25 and I like to do the workouts "pure" at first, but I AM doing Body Beast's Lucky 7 workout once a week plus I just started an MMA class and am in my first week of doing heavy bag practice several times a week.

But for you I'd definitely say Body Beast, and maybe add in a couple cardio workouts from P90X per week.

Tomorros's the day I start Insanity again. I'll have been out for 15 days tomorrow and it's sucked. But, I'm back. I'm gonna take it slowls at first and see if I can build into it. And I ended up getting a knee support for my left leg. I tested it a bit yesterday and it felt good.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
And speaking of Body Beast, Beachbody announced today that for the entire month of August, Body Beast challenge packs with Shakeology are on sale for $160. Normally $180. Body Beast by itself is normally $89.95, and Shakeology by itself is $129.95, plus shipping. With Challenge Packs there's no shipping charge, so you're saving that amount. With the challenge pack, you're basically getting Body Beast for $30, or Shakeology for less than half-price. It's a pretty good deal.

So I'm a big guy (300+ lbs.) trying to do P90 again. It is $130 for a months worth (once a day), correct? Doing the math, I think I can afford Shakeology on the justification that I'd be drinking that instead of eating out for the day.

My questions are:

1. Is this appropriate for someone of my fitness level? Or would I need more calories?
2. Any specials for gaffers, or first-timers?

Thank you in advance!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So I'm a big guy (300+ lbs.) trying to do P90 again. It is $130 for a months worth (once a day), correct? Doing the math, I think I can afford Shakeology on the justification that I'd be drinking that instead of eating out for the day.

My questions are:

1. Is this appropriate for someone of my fitness level? Or would I need more calories?
2. Any specials for gaffers, or first-timers?

Thank you in advance!

As a meal replacement it's hard to go wrong with Shakeology. It's nutritionally dense and you can mix in fruit & other healthy ingredients for a huge variety. My wife & I have been drinking it daily since March of this year & love it.

If you're going to incorporate Shakeology as a meal replacement you're doing a lot to a) reduce calories and b) eat healthier food. For your other meals you should also try to eat mostly fresh vegetables and meats, and try to avoid processed food and refined carbs (sugar, white flour mostly). This'll go a long way to helping you burn fat as you do P90.

Shakeology is $129.95 plus shipping if you just want to buy one bag at a time, which is a 30 day supply. You can also get it on "home direct" automatic shipping, and if you do that shipping is free.

You can also get a "Challenge Pack", which is a workout program PLUS Shakeology on home direct shipping. They range in price from $140 to $205 with no shipping charge. Right now, Body Beast + Shakeology is on sale for $160. It's a good way to get a workout program for not much more than Shakeology by itself.

My favorite flavors are Vanilla and non-vegan Chocolate. The vegan Tropical Strawberry and vegan Chocolate are good too, but in my opinion not as good as the others. Greenberry isn't bad, but the other flavors to me are sooo much better.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So does this mean it will follow Shaun T's footsteps of quicker workouts? It said accelerated in the promo

From the promo pics, the "accelerated" part has more to do with the motion of the moves IMO. So I'm gonna guess that this will be akin to the PAP workouts in P90X2.

Korosenai

Beachbody is doing a P90X countdown to the Holiday's challenge. I'm guessing they'll do a P90X challenge, P90X2 challenge, then at the end of that will be the release of P90X3?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Beachbody is doing a P90X countdown to the Holiday's challenge. I'm guessing they'll do a P90X challenge, P90X2 challenge, then at the end of that will be the release of P90X3?

Could be! Although the length of P90X2 can vary depending on how long you do each phase, since you switch when you're ready.

Whew, first Insanity workout in 17 days complete! That knee brace is an absolute life-saver. The only time I felt my dodgy hamstring was when doing the hamstring stretch at the beginning, so I took that easy. Other than that I felt fine.

Health-wise, anyway, my energy was...severely lacking. Hopefully I'll get back to where I was pretty soon but I was dying by the end, and that was just in the recovery week. I have my third fit test in 5 days so I'll base my results in that on whether I go forward to month 2 or retake a week or so of month 1 first.

Still, felt amazing to be back. I just took a few photos and I don't seem to have lost much tone in the last couple of weeks, either.
3AQmK.gif

Top Bottom