• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Same here. I've come to hate rest days. I'm now doing my regular T25 workouts, plus Fit Club at work two days a week (Wednesday = Strength, Thursday = Cardio) and I just started taking an MMA/self defense class Wednesday nights. Plus I'm looking into starting a public Fit Club, that'll probably be 2 Saturdays a month, and at some point I might start teaching Insanity classes.

You should try getting an injury. 10 days since my last workout now :/ How far back do you think I should go when I eventually get back into it? It's obviously way too late now to just pick up where I left off.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
You should try getting an injury. 10 days since my last workout now :/ How far back do you think I should go when I eventually get back into it? It's obviously way too late now to just pick up where I left off.

Oh I've done that.

I injured my ankle right at the end of Insanity. Wasn't TOO bad, but I worked out with my ankle and opposite knee wrapped for about 6 weeks after that (end of Insanity, beginning of P90X).

Then during P90X2, I hurt my back & was out of commission for about 10 days. I just continued where I had left off. It's really up to you, though, once you're feeling better you should look ahead in the program to where you're going to be transitioning to the next phase, and if you think you can be ready for it after your break, I don't see any problem with just continuing from where you left off. But if you feel like you're starting over & need to build back up again, you might want to back up a week or so in the program, depending on where you are in it.

Oh I've done that.

I injured my ankle right at the end of Insanity. Wasn't TOO bad, but I worked out with my ankle and opposite knee wrapped for about 6 weeks after that (end of Insanity, beginning of P90X).

Then during P90X2, I hurt my back & was out of commission for about 10 days. I just continued where I had left off. It's really up to you, though, once you're feeling better you should look ahead in the program to where you're going to be transitioning to the next phase, and if you think you can be ready for it after your break, I don't see any problem with just continuing from where you left off. But if you feel like you're starting over & need to build back up again, you might want to back up a week or so in the program, depending on where you are in it.

Well that's the tricky thing. I was in the recovery week :lol I think I'm gonna do a couple of bonus days of month 1 again, then do the recovery week in full before finally going to month 2.

With my recovery, I think I'm at the point now where I could theoretically do a workout. Ie, I can now straighten my leg. But I can still feel it pulling at my hamstring when I do and occasionally I get a sharp pain there. I guess it's still too early to get going again.

This thread is relevant to my interests!

I'll be starting P90X on Monday. I'm currently 5'9" and 190lbs. The results people get from the program are awfully inspiring, although I'm keeping my expectations low and will simply hope to lose the belly fat and my man boobs. I'm not terribly out-of-shape; in fact I'm doing a century ride on Sunday with my brother, so I'm confident that I'll be able to handle the workouts. Eventually.

I plan on not following the nutrition guide exactly, instead opting to simply try to cut out most of the crappy junk I eat on a daily basis. Substituting all the soda and McDonald's with veggies and fruit sounds like a good place to start. What about supplements? I've heard a lot about protein shakes and whatnot, are those necessary?

I've got a pull-up bar, a yoga mat, and 5, 10, and 15lb dumbbells. That's probably not enough weight, but I'll worry about that later. Is there anything that's absolutely essential before I start?

This seems like a great and helpful community, so I'll try and post my progress as the weeks go by. I gotta keep myself accountable to someone!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
more ow on my calves.

I'll be starting P90X on Monday. I'm currently 5'9" and 190lbs. The results people get from the program are awfully inspiring, although I'm keeping my expectations low and will simply hope to lose the belly fat and my man boobs. I'm not terribly out-of-shape; in fact I'm doing a century ride on Sunday with my brother, so I'm confident that I'll be able to handle the workouts. Eventually.

I plan on not following the nutrition guide exactly, instead opting to simply try to cut out most of the crappy junk I eat on a daily basis. Substituting all the soda and McDonald's with veggies and fruit sounds like a good place to start. What about supplements? I've heard a lot about protein shakes and whatnot, are those necessary?

I've got a pull-up bar, a yoga mat, and 5, 10, and 15lb dumbbells. That's probably not enough weight, but I'll worry about that later. Is there anything that's absolutely essential before I start?

This seems like a great and helpful community, so I'll try and post my progress as the weeks go by. I gotta keep myself accountable to someone!
You have everything you need, the most important component being a great attitude. Let us know how Chest and Back goes :D

Razorskin

----- ------
Is it possible to do P90X without the pull up bar? I can't find any that will work with my door frame.

Well in the videos they show you how to use bands for pull ups/chin ups , I don't do that myself but maybe if you could tie them on the ceiling or close it on a doorframe it'll work.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Is it possible to do P90X without the pull up bar? I can't find any that will work with my door frame.
A lot of resistance band sets (I have this one) come with a "door anchor" that lets you do a simulated pull-up motion, or, a pull-down. This is what I did the first time I went through P90X. It's better than nothing, but it doesn't really compare to actual pull-ups.

Still, the program is absolutely worth doing even without a bar, as pull-ups probably only comprise about 10% of the workouts.

Invest in a power tower like I did

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002Y2SUU4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1374893916&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX110_SY190

Its cheaper than the other ones and its quite sturdy

They look pretty good, might get one myself.

more ow on my calves.

You have everything you need, the most important component being a great attitude. Let us know how Chest and Back goes :D

Just thinking, but a push up bar is pretty handy as well. Depends how you go with your wrists.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
P90X is wholly doable without a pull-up bar but a pull-up bar is a fantastic investment. Simple weight resistance physics for upper body training

Chris R

So I didn't have to pause Alpha Cardio after doing Lower Focus unlike the first day I did Alpha Cardio so that must mean I'm doing something right and getting a bit more fit.

That or I didn't push it hard enough... or maybe some of both

SteeloDMZ

Banned
My body has been aching maybe due to stress or a pinched nerve, but my performance working out had gone up considerably. This is really exciting considering that for 40 days I barely did shit. Now I just want those random pains to go away.

Korosenai

Out of all the Insanity workouts, Max Interval Sports Training is the worst. It's just so boring. Core Cardio and Balance is a much better workout.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think they are a big part of it.

I'm sure nothing much would go wrong...but stretching a giant piece of elastic towards my head always seemed like a bad alternative idea.
A lot of us here, myself included have had bands snap. I don't think any of us have been injured when it happened but holy hell is it terrifying.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Invest in a power tower like I did

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002Y2SUU4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1374893916&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX110_SY190

Its cheaper than the other ones and its quite sturdy

Hmm, I might have to look into this. I didn't even know something like this existed. Thanks!

Well in the videos they show you how to use bands for pull ups/chin ups , I don't do that myself but maybe if you could tie them on the ceiling or close it on a doorframe it'll work.

A lot of resistance band sets (I have this one) come with a "door anchor" that lets you do a simulated pull-up motion, or, a pull-down. This is what I did the first time I went through P90X. It's better than nothing, but it doesn't really compare to actual pull-ups.

Bands, eh? I think this is my solution! yass!

Still, the program is absolutely worth doing even without a bar, as pull-ups probably only comprise about 10% of the workouts.

P90X is wholly doable without a pull-up bar but a pull-up bar is a fantastic investment. Simple weight resistance physics for upper body training

Good to know. If I have anymore question I'll be sure to ask you guys. Y'all are so helpful. :)

Good luck!

For your questions- I don't use any supplements myself, except protein powder. It's very important IMO because without protein you can't build muscle, and it's hard to get the amount of protein you need without it.

The dumbbell weight you have is not enough, not even close. Unless you're very weak you'll need 25, 35, up to 45lb weights or more for some of the routines. You'll need to decide quickly if you want to get those dumbbells or use bands instead.

Other things you mught want to get are push-up bars (HERE), and a yoga block (HERE), although with a little ingenuity you might be able to make or find something that will work (I use a juice jug like this for the same purpose)

Other then that you've got most everything.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Half-way through Body Beast, at this point I'm wondering if I'm gaining more mass than strength. At least I know I've gained SOMETHING, since I'm now about 12 pounds heavier than when I started. :p
Which is a good thing, because I wanted to gain some weight, did P90X/2 for about a year up until I started doing BB but saw no change in weight during that period of time. But now I'm also eating a lot more, which I'm sure helps.

But I guess I'll know soon enough. Planning to go back to a P90X2 hybrid after doing Body Beast and getting rid of some fat.

HORRORSHØW

I completed a round of P90X about a year ago, and it was great for getting me in shape; however, being an ectomorph (5'9" @ 145lbs.) I found it wasn't ideal for bulking up. These days I'm hitting the weights, trying to add more muscle to my frame. I'm currently benching 175lbs, and even though I can max at 190, I feel like I've plateaued in terms of not being able to get any bigger/stronger. I guess being a pescatarian doesn't help because I can't eat enough fish everyday.

ElfArmy177

My wife just became a beach body coach and started ordering shakeology after we did out insanity workout. Both of us dropped over 35 pounds with insanity, and now shes like hitler because shes a coach lol.

Has anyone else here tried Shakeology and what kind of results have you gotten? She has lost about 5lbs in 1.5 weeks with it, but she eats like a nutritionist now, so I dont know which is the cause.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
My wife just became a beach body coach and started ordering shakeology after we did out insanity workout. Both of us dropped over 35 pounds with insanity, and now shes like hitler because shes a coach lol.

Has anyone else here tried Shakeology and what kind of results have you gotten? She has lost about 5lbs in 1.5 weeks with it, but she eats like a nutritionist now, so I dont know which is the cause.

My wife & I are also Beachbody coaches and we both drink Shakeology as a meal replacement.

Shakeology is extremely nutritious -- I dropped my multivitamin because of it (although I still take several other supplements). We also noticed that our skin seems healthier and our hair & nails grow faster and are more robust. It's really really good for you, and delicious. I'm always trying different recipes, too.

As far as helping you lose weight, as long as you don't add fattening ingredients and don't overeat outside of the meal you replace with Shakeology, it can definitely help you lose weight as it is nutrionally dense for the amount of calories it has. But you can subvert that by eating poorly and too much otherwise.

Insanity also burns a lot of calories. In your case I'm sure Shakeology was a part of your weight loss, but certainly not the only factor.

Either way, great job!!

FOOTE

Love shakeology.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Shakeology is bar-none the most nutritionally complete and calorically valuable meal-replacement product on the market. It is merely too expensive :p

edit: I might take issue with "delicious," at least when mixed with water! ;)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Shakeology is bar-none the most nutritionally complete and calorically valuable meal-replacement product on the market. It is merely too expensive :p

edit: I might take issue with "delicious," at least when mixed with water! ;)

Crushed ice, milk (or almond milk), fruit of your choice & maybe some nuts or almond butter = manna from Heaven.

desu

So now that T25 is out, I wonder if anyone has opinions on what is the best program (P90X/P90X2, T25, I think Insanity is too hard for a beginner?). Obviously there is no best program but what program excels at what? P90X seems to use much less equipment compared to P90X2, and T25 seems to be a real time saver? What else?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So now that T25 is out, I wonder if anyone has opinions on what is the best program (P90X/P90X2, T25, I think Insanity is too hard for a beginner?). Obviously there is no best program but what program excels at what? P90X seems to use much less equipment compared to P90X2, and T25 seems to be a real time saver? What else?

While I haven't don't the Beta and Gamma phases of T25 yet, it seems to me that T25 offers a very compete package -- small time investment, minimal equipment, and very efficient workouts that you can make more challenging by increasing speed, range of motion and impact as your skill, strength and stamina increase. The Alpha workout schedule is designed to get harder as you progress by increasing the frequency of the more difficult workouts, and judging by the schedule Beta looks to do the same. Also, the three phases build on each other -- all work your cardio endurance and put you in an anaerobic state to stimulate muscle growth, but each phase has a different focus -- Alpha is your foundation, Beta for your core, and Gamma for strength.

P90X and P90X2 are set up to build functional fitness. They have a wider variety of exercises, particularly X2, and require a good amount of equipment, but there's a bigger focus on strength than cardio endurance, and there isn't much in the way of interval training. It does introduce yoga which I think is crucial to fitness in general. And X2's focus on instability gives you great core development. I prefer X2 to X.

But to be honest, I think that the combination of T25 and Body Beast is a slam dunk.

big_z

I would highly recommend insanity even for a beginner over t25. Insanity is much harder but everything is doable. T25 is too easy, a lot of the exercises are easier versions of insanity moves. I did two T25 episodes a day and the workout is still not up to par with a single insanity video. With insanity everything is explained and easy enough to follow. In T25 you quickly rush between exercises which for a beginner can be very frustrating. Doing insanity if you do as much as you can do you will get a great workout and you will improve over time. Its also hard enough that its still a good workout even if youre in great shape. You will out grow T25 long before insanity.

I'm not a huge fan of the p90 workouts, they're not bad but not for me. imo if you're goal is to lose weight do insanity or other more cardio focused exercise. then if you want to add muscle mass do a proper weight program for max benefit.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'd like to see video of you doing T25 workouts, big_z. Alpha Cardio and Speed 1.0 are the easier Alpha workouts, with Ab Intervals and Lower Focus in the middle and Total Body Circuit on top in terms of challenge -- but all of them can be made challenging depending on how you do them.

In lunges, is your torso completely vertical? Does your back knee almost touch the ground at the bottom of the move, and is your front leg completely straight at the top?

In squats, at the bottom do you keep your chest up, your weight in your heels, butt pushed back, and drop your hips so your upper legs are BELOW parallel -- and then at the top are you standing up perfectly straight, hips thrust forward?

In high knee runs & mountain climbers are your knees coming ABOVE your waist?

And are you doing all the agility moves at their pace with no missteps and perfect form?

If so, then yes, maybe t25 is too easy for you. But there aren't many people who can do all of the difficulty mods and call the workouts "easy".

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How do you rate T-25 abs?

Late to seeing this, but I like it the best out of any I've done. I think it's because it is its own dedicated workout (full 25 min video). Also the moves they do hit every part of your midsection and they throw in cardio in between each ab move.

I'm moving tomorrow so I'm taking the week off T-25. Should I do the recovery video a few times this week maybe? Get my body fully recovered and start week 4 next week?

I'm gonna get back onto the Insanity train when I get back from my Grandma's hopefully Thursday/Friday. The last 2 weeks have been incredibly frustrating but it'll feel all the better to be back.

I was at a barbecue yesterday and thought, screw it, I'm injured and I want Doritos and biscuits. I've felt like shit all day today as a result. I'm not used to eating crap like that anymore
KuGsj.gif

Pimpwerx

Seeing as I'm now 3lbs from my target goal, I thought I'd share my experience this year.

I'm 5'9" and 35 now. I peaked at about 185lbs in January, and I've been 170+ since about 2008. I wasn't always fat. I was fit in middle and high school, but then gained like 20lbs freshman year of college (1995). I didn't get back into shape until about 2003, when I was probably in the best shape of my life. However, I let that slide starting about midway through 2007. I got P90X+ and Tapout XT, but never spent more than a few minutes with either one before realizing they weren't for me. Anyway, I'd finally had enough.

In early March, I grabbed my mom's old treadmill and just started running one day. I didn't weigh myself, but I know I was about 180lbs, give or take. I just started running one day. I set a target of one mile, which took me about 15 minutes. I ran half and walked half, but I finished the mile. The next day, I did it again. And then the next and the next. After a week, I still didn't weigh myself, but I decided to go low carb, salt and sugar, so I started doing spinach wraps, cut out soda and juice, and started eating smaller portions, spread distributed better.

After another week, I decided to weigh myself. 173.8lbs. That was March 18th. I ran every single day, no days off. I didn't so anything else really. I would run 15 minutes in the morning (1.15-1.2 miles), then 15 minutes at night, and just watch what I ate. I limited my calories to 1200 calories per day, which isn't all that difficult if you eat regularly and balance out the nutrients properly. I have to think MyFitnessPal for helping there, because I never used to look at nutrition labels before I put it on my phone.

After one month, on April 18th, I weighed 157.8lbs. So I'd dropped 16lbs in one month. I did this despite having Sat and Sun each weekend as pigout days. I'd try not to go too crazy on the calories on those days, but I would allow myself Papa Johns pizza, meatball subs from Subway, Chipotle burritos and even the occasional IHOP breakfast. Every Sat and Sun, because I'd go crazy otherwise. Of course, I'd always see my weight bounce back by a pound or two on the weekends, but it was a small price to pay for my sanity.

I then stopped the regimen for 3 months. Every day, I ate either a Quiznos meatball sub, a Papa Johns specialty pizza (good bball season deals) or Chef Creole conch fritters or fish fillet. I'd mix in the occasional tuna wrap or baked salmon, but I ate out most of the time. On July 14th, I still weighed exactly 157.8lbs. I'd been as high as 160lbs during the 3 month break, and I still managed to put in a 15 minute run every 3-4 days, but that was it. I feel I learned to eat smart, even if it wasn't completely healthy.

So, two weeks ago, I decided I want a six pack. I'm running 15 minutes a day, and alternating arm and ab workout to try and tone up as I lean out. On weekends, I still pigout, but I run a total of 30 minutes on each day, to account for some of the extra calories. I did cheat last Wednesday and ate a whole pizza late one night, and saw my weight fly up 3lbs the next day. However, I've been pretty consistent overall, and I skipped my pigout day this past weekend to compensate.

As of today, I weigh 148lbs. :D I can't tell you how stoked I am. My target right now is 145lbs, but that's just because I didn't know how lean I'd need to get for my six pack to show. I think it might be closer to 140lbs, but I plan on celebrating a little bit when I hit 145lbs later this week. Just 3 more pounds to go, and I might treat myself to a sub.

I can't tell you what got me going that day in March, but I'm glad it happened. I've never...ever been a fan of cardio. When I was in the shape of my life in 2003, I was rollerblading a couple miles each day. That's the most cardio I've ever done. I never thought I'd be someone who relishes getting up each day to run. I feel energized when I run, and it's fantastic. I'm nowhere near as muscular now as I was in '03 (I'm gonna be 10-15lbs light on muscle), but I feel Iike I might still be in the best shape of my life right now. I'm doing protein shakes and managing my nutrients better. That might be the difference.

Anyone interested can view my food and exercise diary at MyFitnessPal. It's nothing mindblowing, except maybe how low my calorie count is on a lot of days. I'm not sure everyone could handle that, but I held up fine for a month. The only drawback was probably needing to ice my knees nightly, back when I was running twice a day, every day. Now I only do it on the weekends, so I don't get pain anymore. I think I might have my six pack in 2 weeks. PEACE.

Guevara

Coming back to P90X after way too long off. After my final tonight I'm going through the full P90X routine again, then maybe picking up P90X2.

Question: What do you do on days when you sort of work out, like if you go hiking for a few hours or play tennis etc.? Still try and work out that evening? Count it as a day off and do the scheduled work out the next day?

I just started! Join meee!

Day 2, Plyometric Cardio Circuit. I'm a-scared

Just did the fit test. It was really exhausting. Like I expected, I could keep up with the starting records of the others easily enough. But halfway through the 3rd exercise I started to lag behind and 2 exercises before the cooldown came I could just last 30 seconds instead of the whole minute. When I had to move from leg to leg slowly in the cooldown I just burnt out of energy and started gasping for air. I spent the rest of the cooldown just lying on the floor because I had no strength left.

Poor performance I guess, but I feel I have practically no energy left and that's pretty much the point, to move until you can do no more. Keeping this up for a while is going to be very hard.

*leaves a bit to vomit*

...that was unexpected -__-

First up, next day.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks! Insanity is a truly awesome workout program. Shaun T is the man.

Also, because I know there a few of you in here starting Insanity, just stick with it. It gets easier. The first week is the hardest for sure, same goes for Month 2, but then the results just start showing up like crazy.
My calves are pretty much in constant pain :p I'll be honest, I don't think I "get" the Insanity regimen yet. P90X clicked with me as far as what it was going for schedule-wise during the first week, so even though you were crazy sore one night you used your none-sore muscle groups that workout, then returned to the others the next night.

With Insanity so far it feels like... "stress on calves and knees! then more! more calves and knees! slighty-lower impact stress on lower body! then lots more calves and knees!" ow :(

Kinda feels like while my endurance is going up, the soreness is keeping me from having great form on any particular exercise. But I guess the idea is the soreness will go away and my endurance will be already be high and that point and then you can push yourself even harder.

edit: Card. Power and Resistance take 2 done. Definite improvement... instead of running completely out of gas around the 12-13min mark, it was at about 9. I can also walk relatively normally, lol

FOOTE

Coming back to P90X after way too long off. After my final tonight I'm going through the full P90X routine again, then maybe picking up P90X2.

Question: What do you do on days when you sort of work out, like if you go hiking for a few hours or play tennis etc.? Still try and work out that evening? Count it as a day off and do the scheduled work out the next day?

I call that living. I did my T25 double day yesterday in the morning, went to Six Flags then came back a played tennis for about 45 minutes.

I don't mean to sound like an ass or anything, sometimes you can't tell by reading a comment on the internet.

Basically, don't let P90X or any other kind of workout routine hold you back. Don't avoid doing things you enjoy on the account of your P90X (or any other) routine. If you have a workout planned in the evening(or whenever) and you want to hike or play some tennis, then you should have your fun! Besides, part of the good stuff that comes along with these routines is that they're supposed to help out with those exact type of activities.

Go! Play! Have fun!

FOOTE

Three weeks into T25 and I think I finally did Up + Over without looking like an asshole.

:lol I'm glad no one is around when I try that one.

edit- It's an off day but I'm going to go do beast abs after my food settles. I want to start doing a few supplemental ab workouts each week, probably Monday, Wednesday and Friday and see if that's too much or not.

I try not to do anything intensive depending on the type of workout I have that evening. So for example I wouldn't go for a long bike ride or run if I have a leg workout. But other then that I don't worry about it. Playing some tennis shouldn't wear you out enough to skip a day. I hate skipping days because it get's me out of the routine.

Keyouta

I feel bad for not doing my workouts for about a month now.

I've been doing Insanity from March - June, but then stopped. I'm going to start it up again with T25 today, hoping it's good!

:lol I'm glad no one is around when I try that one.

edit- It's an off day but I'm going to go do beast abs after my food settles. I want to start doing a few supplemental ab workouts each week, probably Monday, Wednesday and Friday and see if that's too much or not.

I can do the easy mode way fine, trying to prefect that hop was one of the harder things I've done in all these Beachbody programs

Top Bottom