• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Tash

Still waiting for my overseas shipping of T25. I WANNA START (and especially get down with the nutrition plan, I hear it's only 5 min prep time and stuff you can do beforehand which will come in pretty handy seeing I have to take food to work for both me an my bf).

To repeat my previous question: I ordered the Gamma Phase as well. Anyone checked it out already?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Still waiting for my overseas shipping of T25. I WANNA START (and especially get down with the nutrition plan, I hear it's only 5 min prep time and stuff you can do beforehand which will come in pretty handy seeing I have to take food to work for both me an my bf).

To repeat my previous question: I ordered the Gamma Phase as well. Anyone checked it out already?

Haven't watched any of the videos yet, but I do have it! This morning my wife & I did the first workout of Week 4 of Alpha phase.

So my one day off because of a slight hamstring strain has turned into 5 days now and it looks like it'll still be a couple of days before I get back into Insanity. I was on day 30 when I had to stop - the second day of the recovery week. So I guess I'll have to go back to month one to get my stamina back up - otherwise I'll be going back straight into the first day of month 2!

For the next few days, I was wondering if it could do any harm to my hamstring to do a few press-ups to keep my upper body ticking along while my leg recovers. I would've tried before but I think think think my hamstring is finally starting to recover; I don't want to burden the recovery but I can now do press-ups without pain. Thoughts?

ChanHuk

Banned
Done with my first workout had to modify most of it since I had no clue what the hell was going on. Shit was tough, I have no cardio coming from a guy that only lifted weights.

FOOTE

So my one day off because of a slight hamstring strain has turned into 5 days now and it looks like it'll still be a couple of days before I get back into Insanity. I was on day 30 when I had to stop - the second day of the recovery week. So I guess I'll have to go back to month one to get my stamina back up - otherwise I'll be going back straight into the first day of month 2!

For the next few days, I was wondering if it could do any harm to my hamstring to do a few press-ups to keep my upper body ticking along while my leg recovers. I would've tried before but I think think think my hamstring is finally starting to recover; I don't want to burden the recovery but I can now do press-ups without pain. Thoughts?
Go for it. You're going to need to ease back in anyway. I wouldn't recommend jumping right back into insanity once you're fully healed, so you're going need to start somewhere.

If it starts feeling weird at all, I suggest you stop all together until it feels normal.

Go for it. You're going to need to ease back in anyway. I wouldn't recommend jumping right back into insanity once you're fully healed, so you're going need to start somewhere.

If it starts feeling weird at all, I suggest you stop all together until it feels normal.

I'm thinking I'll do the recovery week in full (when I'm fully recovered), then do the final week of the first month again, then do the recovery week again before going into month 2. That should ease me into exercise again without making me lose too much fitness.

By the time I catch up, this stupid injury will have added about 3 weeks :/ I was going to do it in the 60 days as well :(

FOOTE

I'm thinking I'll do the recovery week in full (when I'm fully recovered), then do the final week of the first month again, then do the recovery week again before going into month 2. That should ease me into exercise again without making me lose too much fitness.

By the time I catch up, this stupid injury will have added about 3 weeks :/ I was going to do it in the 60 days as well :(
Shit happens. Getting it done in 60 days would've been nice but your health is #1.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Insanity day one Fit Test done. Pretty intense :)

Got some embarrassing numbers down to look back on fondly.

Hard to argue with Tanya's energy I guess. Jesus christ.

Shaun seems a little on the dumb side. Not particularly important I suppose. Good dude.

Insanity day one Fit Test done. Pretty intense :)

Got some embarrassing numbers down to look back on fondly.

Hard to argue with Tanya's energy I guess. Jesus christ.

Shaun seems a little on the dumb side. Not particularly important I suppose. Good dude.

What makes him seem dumb? These be fightin' words.

I'm not really in good shape, but Insanity does seem very appealing to me (since it doesn't really require equipment outside of some clothing). I did some searches on google and there's a lot of folks saying that it's not for beginners and then they name examples of people who are into shape to make their point. But that's not a very strong point, seeing as the point of Insanity is to push as hard as you can for that alotted time, even if you're slower.

Essentially, I think it evens the level between beginners and experienced people. Sure, experience people may last longer and burn more calories, but I don't see how that rules out beginners. Unless you're so overweight that you might damage your knees from all the jumps, or have some kind of disease that prevents you from exerting yourself so much without dying, I don't see why someone who wants to do it, can't do it.

Anyhow, that being said. I'm curious about something. When doing the Insanity workout, is it also alright to do some other exercises? Like jogging. Obviously, going to the gym to do body shape or bulk up exercises would have an effect on the Insanity results, but what about some lighter exercises?

I kinda hope to start next week. Would like go get in good shape (as in energy) and it wouldn't hurt to get some shape in my body as well.

Tash

I'm not really in good shape, but Insanity does seem very appealing to me (since it doesn't really require equipment outside of some clothing). I did some searches on google and there's a lot of folks saying that it's not for beginners and then they name examples of people who are into shape to make their point. But that's not a very strong point, seeing as the point of Insanity is to push as hard as you can for that alotted time, even if you're slower.

Essentially, I think it evens the level between beginners and experienced people. Sure, experience people may last longer and burn more calories, but I don't see how that rules out beginners. Unless you're so overweight that you might damage your knees from all the jumps, or have some kind of disease that prevents you from exerting yourself so much without dying, I don't see why someone who wants to do it, can't do it.

Anyhow, that being said. I'm curious about something. When doing the Insanity workout, is it also alright to do some other exercises? Like jogging. Obviously, going to the gym to do body shape or bulk up exercises would have an effect on the Insanity results, but what about some lighter exercises?

I kinda hope to start next week. Would like go get in good shape (as in energy) and it wouldn't hurt to get some shape in my body as well.

Why do you want to combine things? You say you are not in good shape. Insanity is quite taxing. I would concentrate on one first and not mix in more. You need rest in between otherwise you will compromise success. Your body does need rest not only to actually rest but also to have time to rebuild and heal muscles tissue or get rid of lactic acid etc.

Tash

I'm not saying I intended to combine. I just wanted to know if it would be alright, in-case I ever got the crazy idea to do more. But thanks for the info.

Theoretically yes :)
But your body needs to be able to take it. So since you say yourself you are not fit (I can't really judge that though) I would just be careful not to overdo it.

Insanity might seem short at the beginning and I am talking out of my own experience. I started to do Brasil Butt lift in the morning and then Insanity in the evening for a few days and I felt awesome (that was after a full round of P90X and a full round of Insanity) but then I started to totally crash and lost energy. Even though I thought I can handle it I could not.

A bit of light jogging specially during rest day can't hurt though :)

Sounds good. I won't be able to follow the nutrition guide, since I just don't have the money to afford it, but the results should be better than what anything else can offer me.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Sounds good. I won't be able to follow the nutrition guide, since I just don't have the money to afford it, but the results should be better than what anything else can offer me.

Tash's advice is good. Don't overdo it.

A couple things about Insanity. First, nobody in the videos does any modified versions of the moves -- everyone's pretty much going all-out as well as they can. Second, it's a tough workout. Especially if you haven't been doing anything else prior.

I think that if you're just starting out, FocusT25 is a better option.

That said, Insanity is certainly doable for a beginner if you keep a few things in mind:
1. Form is key. You MUST do every move with perfect form. If you can't, then you need to modify.
2. Never do an Insanity workout when you have an injury. Take time off to recover.
3. Don't every press PAUSE. The point of Insanity is to keep your heart rate within a particular range. There are short breaks built-in to the workout, but if you pause the video you'll take too long and your heart rate will drop too much, defeating the purpose. If your form is slipping and you're gasping for breath, modify or stop doing the current move, but KEEP MOVING, and try to be ready to go when the next move starts.

How do you know when & how to modify the exercises? If you can't do them with perfect form from the outset, or if you find your form degrading as you progress through the workout, you should start modifying the moves:
1. Decrease your speed. Form is key -- do the moves slowly until you've got them ingrained in your muscle memory, and only speed up when you can maintain that form. It's OK if you change the speed of the moves a lot during the workout.
2. Decrease the range of motion.
3. Reduce impact. If there's a plyometric jump, replace it with a squat. For switch kicks, always keep one foot on the floor rather than hopping from foot to foot. & so on.

Don't ever feel like you have to keep up with the people in the video. Go at your own pace, focus on your form, modify as you need to, and don't ever press pause, and you can do it.

I think Insanity seems more appealing to me. And yes, I know about the form stuff and not having to worry about not being able to keep up. The key for me in succeeding is whether or not I can dedicate myself to work on it every day. Outside of that I don't expect any issues. Pacing myself, getting the most out of myself physically, etc, shouldn't be much of a problem.

So yes, I did do my research when it comes to out. I'm familiar with my own strengths and weaknesses regarding these things. I used to do karate, so form isn't much of a problem for me. Thanks for the advice and for your concern though. At the start I expect to be able to do the first few minutes relatively well, then slow down a lot once I start getting tired. But I'll probably be noticeably faster in a week or 2, even if there's no result that can be seen yet on my body. And well, I'm not following the nutricious guide (though I am avoiding sugar drinks and try to eat as healthy as possible), so I expect that I won't have the best results. I do expect to have some decent results after the 2 months though. With so much exercise I'm bound to burn a good amount of fat.

I'm also going to use a short log. I have no one to do this with, so every day I'll make a short log about the experience. It should keep me motivated, writing stuff down usually does that trick.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think Insanity seems more appealing to me. And yes, I know about the form stuff and not having to worry about not being able to keep up. The key for me in succeeding is whether or not I can dedicate myself to work on it every day. Outside of that I don't expect any issues. Pacing myself, getting the most out of myself physically, etc, shouldn't be much of a problem.

So yes, I did do my research when it comes to out. I'm familiar with my own strengths and weaknesses regarding these things. I used to do karate, so form isn't much of a problem for me. Thanks for the advice and for your concern though. At the start I expect to be able to do the first few minutes relatively well, then slow down a lot once I start getting tired. But I'll probably be noticeably faster in a week or 2, even if there's no result that can be seen yet on my body. And well, I'm not following the nutricious guide (though I am avoiding sugar drinks and try to eat as healthy as possible), so I expect that I won't have the best results. I do expect to have some decent results after the 2 months though. With so much exercise I'm bound to burn a good amount of fat.

I'm also going to use a short log. I have no one to do this with, so every day I'll make a short log about the experience. It should keep me motivated, writing stuff down usually does that trick.
I just started! Join meee!

Day 2, Plyometric Cardio Circuit. I'm a-scared

ChanHuk

Banned
I'm not sure whether my calfs are strained or just sore, I really don't wanna push it since I just started a new job and can't risk and injury how is Speed 1.0?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm not sure whether my calfs are strained or just sore, I really don't wanna push it since I just started a new job and can't risk and injury how is Speed 1.0?

The easiest of the workouts (minus abs) IMO. I have it today too. You do a hard cardio move, then a stretch and alternate the whole workout.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That was my least favourite. Have fun!
Ow :-/ My legs are on fire. Don't feel like I did particularly well either, was running on fumes with well over 10 mins left. Eeesh. Will, methinks this program will be great for my endurance if nothing else.
IN... OUT... IN ... OUT!

Nope.
Just brutal. The 3rd set of those that runs into the next circuit without a break is just a massacre

Tash

i kinda want t25 but how the hell do i get the set send to europe?

I ordered it about a week ago including Gamma. They have an international order link where they call you to verify orders and such:
http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/focus-t25-workout.do
then click on "We ship worldwide" on the top right.

I honestly don't like "off" days. I'm always so irritable, especially in the morning.

Hmm, first sign of addiction..and no, I am not kidding :)

Bollocks

I just started! Join meee!

Day 2, Plyometric Cardio Circuit. I'm a-scared

Welcome to Max Interval Plyo, hate that shit, the only redeeming thing is that they start right with the hardest set. so once you've completed the first set, it's not as bad anymore, but still my least favourite workout

Gumbie

T25 week 2 day 3 incoming. Want to give a big FU to Total Body Circuit last night. Wasn't nearly as bad as the first week but the last 10 minutes still kicked my ass big time. Looked ahead to week 5 and saw they have you doing it 3 times that week. fffffuuuuu.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
T25 week 2 day 3 incoming. Want to give a big FU to Total Body Circuit last night. Wasn't nearly as bad as the first week but the last 10 minutes still kicked my ass big time. Looked ahead to week 5 and saw they have you doing it 3 times that week. fffffuuuuu.

I know! The floor work is nuts. My wife & I are in week 4, where TBC is scheduled twice. We had planned to have our Fit Club do Lower Body Focus this Thursday, since we had them do Total Body Circuit last week, so we swapped our normal schedule & did TBC yesterday & today. Good news is, I thought I did a lot better this morning than yesterday morning.

I like the way the workouts are arranged -- you start out doing the "easier" workouts (Cardio & Speed 1.0) more often, and as you progress you do the harder workouts more often culminating in TBC 3 times in week 5. I think it's excellent preparation for Beta.

By the way, if you are on Facebook, I've been getting my Facebook fitness page geared up. Check it out & give it a "Like". I'll be posting articles about fitness & nutrition, workout reviews, recipes, etc.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Welcome to Max Interval Plyo, hate that shit, the only redeeming thing is that they start right with the hardest set. so once you've completed the first set, it's not as bad anymore, but still my least favourite workout
I agree that the first circuit was the hardest but that fucking plank move set that goes into the final (admittedly merciful) one without a break really got me.

Feeeeelin it in my legs today.

Chris R

So on T25 double down days should I be doing both sets in a row or allow for a few hours+ break in between?

Actually sticking to the schedule this time after only doing 3 days of the working in "week 0" lower half the body is nice and sore from all these squats so I guess that is a good sign :)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So on T25 double down days should I be doing both sets in a row or allow for a few hours+ break in between?

Actually sticking to the schedule this time after only doing 3 days of the working in "week 0" lower half the body is nice and sore from all these squats so I guess that is a good sign :)

On the paper schedule it says that for Alpha phase, you can separate the two workouts or even do the second one the next day. But for Beta it recommends you do them back to back. I've been doing them back to back.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm seeing some slight changes in my belly/midsection from T-25 but not a big improvement yet. I still have yet to lose any weight either. It's interesting, I was able to get down to about 197 on P90X, which includes some weight training but on T-25 I'm stuck at 207.

T-25 does use some other muscles so I wonder if I'm just gaining some in random places. I think my spare tire is getting a bit smaller but I really can't tell. I'm about done with week 3. I like the routine so far.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Same here. I've come to hate rest days. I'm now doing my regular T25 workouts, plus Fit Club at work two days a week (Wednesday = Strength, Thursday = Cardio) and I just started taking an MMA/self defense class Wednesday nights. Plus I'm looking into starting a public Fit Club, that'll probably be 2 Saturdays a month, and at some point I might start teaching Insanity classes.

Chris R

After doing the Total Body Circuit yesterday I realized that my pushup/plank/pike form is terrible :( Going to work on improving those outside of the T25 program so the next time TBC comes around I can nail it. Nice to feel sore in the upper body today though instead of just in my legs and core.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Interesting workout that was.

Sooo. Are the Insanity girls like "a thing"? They all appear to be ridiculously attractive, and seem to smoke the guys in every workout. I see the dudes going south with their form or slowing down in the home stretches way more often

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Today was Ab Intervals followed by Speed 1.0. Kind of refreshing doing Ab Intervals first -- the previous two weeks Ab Intervals was the second workout. Next Friday it's Total Body Circuit followed by Lower Focus.

Today my lower lats were pretty sore from the heavy bag punching work I did at my MMA class on Wednesday. Actually hitting something makes a BIG difference -- while Kenpo and Les Mills Combat can give you a great cardio workout and help with balance, flexibility and speed, making contact and pushing through that contact engages muscles you simply don't hit when shadow boxing.

I'm going to be doing more of this. We have a heavy bag at work, and a co-worker of mine is going to show me the ropes. So I'll probably do that once a week, plus my MMA class on Wednesdays, along with all the other workouts I'm doing.

Yeah, I'm addicted.

On the T25 double days, if you only do one which one do you pick?

Well, my wife & I have been doing both of them back to back, in the order listed on the calendar. I have the workouts auto-scheduled in the Supergym on teambeachbody.com, so I always refer to that. Either way, I'm kind of a stickler for the schedule as designed (particularly my first time through a workout program) so I'd do them in the order they say.

As I've mentioned, the calendar says you can separate them or even do one of them on Saturday during the Alpha phase, while in Beta they encourage you to do them back to back.

Gumbie

Today was Ab Intervals followed by Speed 1.0. Kind of refreshing doing Ab Intervals first -- the previous two weeks Ab Intervals was the second workout. Next Friday it's Total Body Circuit followed by Lower Focus.

Today my lower lats were pretty sore from the heavy bag punching work I did at my MMA class on Wednesday. Actually hitting something makes a BIG difference -- while Kenpo and Les Mills Combat can give you a great cardio workout and help with balance, flexibility and speed, making contact and pushing through that contact engages muscles you simply don't hit when shadow boxing.

I'm going to be doing more of this. We have a heavy bag at work, and a co-worker of mine is going to show me the ropes. So I'll probably do that once a week, plus my MMA class on Wednesdays, along with all the other workouts I'm doing.

Yeah, I'm addicted.

Well, my wife & I have been doing both of them back to back, in the order listed on the calendar. I have the workouts auto-scheduled in the Supergym on teambeachbody.com, so I always refer to that. Either way, I'm kind of a stickler for the schedule as designed (particularly my first time through a workout program) so I'd do them in the order they say.

As I've mentioned, the calendar says you can separate them or even do one of them on Saturday during the Alpha phase, while in Beta they encourage you to do them back to back.

I'm only doing one and won't do the other one over the weekend. Beachbody says the 2nd one is optional. Kinda erked me a little bit they market this as "5 days a week, 25 minutes a day!" Then you get it and it says oh by the way we recomend you do two on Friday. Sorry beachbody but there's a reason I bought this workout if I wanted 50 minutes id do insanity.

Top Bottom