• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

The Mexinerd

Neo Member
P90 Gaf Graduates:
SteveMeister
vatstep
BeautifulMemory

P90X Gaf Graduates:
Deadly Cyclone
Nightz
Nelo Ice
Pr0cs
NoRen
Infinite_Daremo
Ryutaro's mama
III Saint
DR2K
Le-mo
Bildocube
f-castrillo
Slayer-33
Anth0ny
Dankir
mm04
FOOTE
BertramCooper
lljride
wrekt
A00man
RubxQub
Harry Potter
ShinAmano
CottonBaller
Alcoori
Koam
TOM f'N CRUISE
mehdi_san
LaneDS
Hawkian
D23
KingGondo
Vatstep
Tenacious-V
Nekura
SteveMeister
Jzero
OchreHand
Rez
IrishNinja

P90X2 Gaf Graduates:
Harry Potter
Deadly Cyclone
GCNemesis
LaneDS
FOOTE
SteveMeister
Infinite_Daremo

Insanity Gaf Graduates:
Deadly Cyclone
Harry Potter
SteveMeister
Nightz
Infinite_Daremo
Bark252
SltyPoison
FOOTE
Shadybiz
IrishNinja

Insanity Asylum Gaf Graduates:
Deadly Cyclone
Harry Potter
SteveMeister
Infinite_Daremo

Insanity Asylum 2 Gaf Graduates:
Harry Potter
Infinite_Daremo

Body Beast Gaf Graduates:
Harry Potter
Infinite_Daremo
OchreHand
FOOTE
SteveMeister

Les Mills Combat Gaf Graduates:
SteveMeister
Infinite_Daremo

T-25 Gaf Graduates:
Add me to the Insanity Graduate list please.

FOOTE

So Beta core cardio went well this morning.. I actually decided last minute to do the last week of alpha over again and I meant to put in the alpha cardio DVD(since I basically took a whole week off) I started up the DVD and quickly realized I put in the beta DVD. At that point it was too late so I went with it and did fine considering my sinuses are still stuffed a little. So from here I'm back to the normal schedule, hopefully.

So I am feeling very motivated right now, and I feel like I am finally is a good mind set to be able to start Insanity and stick with it. I have started the program 2 times before and have stopped within the first 2 weeks each time due to my own lack of dedication/motivation. So here we go again, starting with the Fit test this afternoon after work, and I am thinking I might try for morning workouts since I tend to be less motivated in the afternoon after work.

I am going to use this thread as motivation for myself, post my thoughts and progress, something a didn't try in the last 2 attempts. Maybe that will give me the extra boost to stick with it.

Here we go!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well didn't go quite as planned today. I did T-25 Total Body Circuit and stopped. I was dead. I think TBC is the hardest T-25 workout after doing the first week of Beta last week.

Tomorrow I'll do Cardio 2.0 and abs I think.

today started recovery week for insanity. fuck that last shoulder balance bit lol.

hopefully on saturday i will be breezing through it. haven't even watched any of the month 2 workouts. just gonna go for it next monday.

i'm sure at 327 i shouldn't worry about plateauing but i feel like i need faster results. thing is any time i excersize and eat anything i feel like i just stay the same weight or end up gaining a little.

at over 300 you would think any exercise plus moderately good eating would push me down below that but i've been big for a while.

moderately like lean meets and brown rice & vegetables type eating. oh well, i'll figure it out, but i guess getting in better shape no matter how much i weigh is going to be the best thing.

how long until you are in "good shape"? like 8 weeks or so? maybe 16 weeks for someone with my size. i'm like 5'9 1/2" and most of my weight is in my thighs and ass. it's like the worst way to be fat for a guy. it will be the last of the weight to go i think.

God I love Yoga X. I'm confidant in saying it's my favorite P90X workout. The other workouts are hard, sure, and they're fun in their own way, but Yoga X is what I look forward to the most. There's something so rewarding and calming about making it to the last ten minutes and then basking in those relaxation poses. And then topping it off with the ohms at the end, it's like heaven.

After I get through P90X I might have to look into actual yoga classes. I never thought I'd enjoy it this much.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
God I love Yoga X. I'm confidant in saying it's my favorite P90X workout. The other workouts are hard, sure, and they're fun in their own way, but Yoga X is what I look forward to the most. There's something so rewarding and calming about making it to the last ten minutes and then basking in those relaxation poses. And then topping it off with the ohms at the end, it's like heaven.

After I get through P90X I might have to look into actual yoga classes. I never thought I'd enjoy it this much.
Yeah, it's been my favorite for a long time. It's not really difficult for me anymore, so it's almost like an off-day, but I still work on improving my form every time. I've been meaning to seek out some other yoga videos for a while now to do on rest days, etc.

The other day I noticed that I can finally touch my palms to the floor when standing/bending, and I imagine that doing yoga has played a big part in that.

Miutsu

So, I'm guessing gorging yourself with water while exercising is not a very good idea, right? >_>

Goddam I wanna puke, not a first good day on p90x, had to stop because of it.

Also, so many push ups / pull ups!!! Looking forward to not suffering so much with these.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
So, I'm guessing gorging yourself with water while exercising is not a very good idea, right? >_>

Also, so many push ups / pull ups!!! Looking forward to not suffering so much with these.
Yeah — less water than you might initially think is probably sufficient. I think a lot of people have this same issue on Day 1, as there are SO many water breaks in Chest & Back. Anything more than a small sip (if that, at all) is probably too much.

Bollocks

Man, I sweat so much during the pure cardio workout,my floor is a mess and as a result, ski abs are 3x harder because I just slip whenever I land and thus to jump up again needs a lot of extra effort.

FOOTE

Can't wait to read your impressions on plyo!

today started recovery week for insanity. fuck that last shoulder balance bit lol.

hopefully on saturday i will be breezing through it. haven't even watched any of the month 2 workouts. just gonna go for it next monday.

i'm sure at 327 i shouldn't worry about plateauing but i feel like i need faster results. thing is any time i excersize and eat anything i feel like i just stay the same weight or end up gaining a little.

at over 300 you would think any exercise plus moderately good eating would push me down below that but i've been big for a while.

moderately like lean meets and brown rice & vegetables type eating. oh well, i'll figure it out, but i guess getting in better shape no matter how much i weigh is going to be the best thing.

how long until you are in "good shape"? like 8 weeks or so? maybe 16 weeks for someone with my size. i'm like 5'9 1/2" and most of my weight is in my thighs and ass. it's like the worst way to be fat for a guy. it will be the last of the weight to go i think.

Good shape is very subjective. I'm about your height and weigh about half as much as you and there are days where I don't feel in 'good shape' because I still carry some excess body fat in my love handles and hips. You gotta look at this as a commitment and not a get fit quick scheme. Set some goals but also mentally prepare yourself for occasional days of "this isn't happening fast enough/disappointment."

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Good shape is very subjective. I'm about your height and weigh about half as much as you and there are days where I don't feel in 'good shape' because I still carry some excess body fat in my love handles and hips. You gotta look at this as a commitment and not a get fit quick scheme. Set some goals but also mentally prepare yourself for occasional days of "this isn't happening fast enough/disappointment."

Yep. Remember, it's not about achieving perfection -- it's about getting and staying healthy, and steadily (and slowly!) improving yourself. There's no "end", only milestones.

Razorskin

----- ------
Yeah — less water than you might initially think is probably sufficient. I think a lot of people have this same issue on Day 1, as there are SO many water breaks in Chest & Back. Anything more than a small sip (if that, at all) is probably too much.

You mean my huggers break?

Miutsu

Yeah, I think I learned my lesson, will be more cautious with it from now on.

Can't wait to read your impressions on plyo!

With how out of shape I am right now, you can start to get an idea :( can't wait to feel everyone else's suffering with pylo.

Also, for those who workout in the night, do you eat dinner before or after the workouts? and with how much time in between?

Yeah, I think I learned my lesson, will be more cautious with it from now on.

With how out of shape I am right now, you can start to get an idea :( can't wait to feel everyone else's suffering with pylo.

Also, for those who workout in the night, do you eat dinner before or after the workouts? and with how much time in between?

If you eat dinner before working out, wait at least an hour. Even Tony tells you that at the start of the plyo video.

vatstep

Does the nausea go away?

I'm going to keep at it. I have to, for many reasons.
Yeah, fairly soon. For most people it'll probably only happen the first few days or so of a new exercise regime. It's just your body adjusting to the additional strain.

Miutsu

I think I'm gonna have to start taking a slower pace with this, I feel guilty I only got to half the video again today with pylo :( this time not because of water but because my body just gave up and my breath was way too heavy.

Maybe I need to learn to breathe better during these exercises but I will try to slow down as I really want to make it to the end of the videos.

yogloo

I think I'm gonna have to start taking a slower pace with this, I feel guilty I only got to half the video again today with pylo :( this time not because of water but because my body just gave up and my breath was way too heavy.

Maybe I need to learn to breathe better during these exercises but I will try to slow down as I really want to make it to the end of the videos.

Some inputs based on my 3 weeks experience.
Modify modify modify.
Try to finish it all. Don't worry if your form is not as good as them. But always write down everything and try to best yourself next time.
I have gone from 35 mins with 1/10 form in the first week to the whole thing with a 6/10 form in my 3rd week. I'm still far from perfect but I keep trying to up myself every week.

Question, whats a good replacement/substitute for the supplements they want you to take in Power 90/P90x?
You mean the Results and Recovery drink??? You can substitute that with a protein shake or even just chocolate milk after a workout

Speaking of supplements has anyone ever tried BCAA before workouts??

I'm on my first rest week of P90X and did core synergistics for the first time yesterday. I think it had me sweating the most out of any of the discs I've done so far.

For those of you who have gone through it, when did you actually begin to see the results? I think I've lost ten or so pounds and I'm getting better at all of the exercises, so I guess I'm mainly talking about body tone or whatever.

For those of you who have gone through it, when did you actually begin to see the results? I think I've lost ten or so pounds and I'm getting better at all of the exercises, so I guess I'm mainly talking about body tone or whatever.

Saw results by about the end of week 3. Then my body stayed the same until I saw some further results around week 11-12.

Miutsu

Some inputs based on my 3 weeks experience.
Modify modify modify.
Try to finish it all. Don't worry if your form is not as good as them. But always write down everything and try to best yourself next time.
I have gone from 35 mins with 1/10 form in the first week to the whole thing with a 6/10 form in my 3rd week. I'm still far from perfect but I keep trying to up myself every week.

Yeah, thanks a lot for the advice, I know that modifying is what everyone says but is not until you do them the first time that you realise the necessity :)

Good news is that I was tonight was Shoulders and Arms night, and I was able to go through the whole video! mind you I know is not Pylo but still feels nice.

As for bad news, Ab ripper X was after that and I'm having the hardest time! My flexibility has been horrible my whole life and I can't even touch my toes with my hands having straight legs.

Also, is it counterproductive to have a pillow when you have to sit on your butt? I'm using a Yoga mat but the instant I have to do one of those excercises my coccyx (I think?) starts to kill me right away.

yogloo

Yeah, thanks a lot for the advice, I know that modifying is what everyone says but is not until you do them the first time that you realise the necessity :)

Good news is that I was tonight was Shoulders and Arms night, and I was able to go through the whole video! mind you I know is not Pylo but still feels nice.

As for bad news, Ab ripper X was after that and I'm having the hardest time! My flexibility has been horrible my whole life and I can't even touch my toes with my hands having straight legs.

Also, is it counterproductive to have a pillow when you have to sit on your butt? I'm using a Yoga mat but the instant I have to do one of those excercises my coccyx (I think?) starts to kill me right away.

I think it should be ok. Or maybe you can use towels for extra padding?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Wednesday evening I came down with a REALLY nasty stomach virus -- horrible abdominal pain, lasted hours. Barely got any sleep that night. Stayed home from work on Thursday, skipped my morning workout. Didn't eat much, but I did eat some. Decided to get up early today & see how my workout would go -- I was feeling pretty good.

It was Beta: Speed 2.0 this morning, and I ran out of gas big time starting towards the end of the first round of the second set of moves. I ended up having to take several 10 second breaks, but I powered through as best I could. Didn't feel up to doing the second workout of the day though, so I'll probably to that tomorrow. Really wiped me out. Probably a combination of not being 100% recovered and simply not having eaten enough yesterday. I also skipped my pre-workout drink because I didn't want it to upset my stomach.

Moral of the story -- don't push too hard when you're sick.

yogloo

I learned something new today. The burning feeling that we have does not mean we are done. You can actually keep pushing through the burn. I managed to do way more reps on ab ripper x by reminding myself of that.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I learned something new today. The burning feeling that we have does not mean we are done. You can actually keep pushing through the burn. I managed to do way more reps on ab ripper x by reminding myself of that.

That's what Shaun T means when he says "dig deeper!"

vatstep

Hmm, quiet couple of days in here. Hope no one's getting too crazy with the Labor Day Weekend eating. :)

FOOTE

Hmm, quiet couple of days in here. Hope no one's getting too crazy with the Labor Day Weekend eating. :)

Nah. Well, not me anyway. I've been really busy with work and school. So after working at a computer all day then doing a few hours of homework with a computer... yeah I get tired of starring at a screen. I am getting all of my workouts in though.

I have four weeks left of beta. I wont be getting Gamma unless I can score it used for a lower price... It should have been included with the original set.. Shit isn't happening, beachbody. If you have a workout, you package it all together.

I just finished another sculpt in regular P90 and I'm already feeling a big improvement.

I can't quite do the entire thing without stopping yet, but compared to my first day where I got super nauseous, it's a really big difference.

Gonna keep it up; I swear I already see results with my body.

vatstep

I just finished another sculpt in regular P90 and I'm already feeling a big improvement.

I can't quite do the entire thing without stopping yet, but compared to my first day where I got super nauseous, it's a really big difference.

Gonna keep it up; I swear I already see results with my body.
Good stuff. Your body does adjust fairly quickly. Keep pushing play!

Good stuff. Your body does adjust fairly quickly. Keep pushing play!

Yeah it was much faster than I expected.

And I will!

I actually lost nearly 75 pounds two years ago, but my body was still sort of flabby (I'm 99% sure it was fat and not loose skin). I never did resistance training while losing that weight; only cardio every day (walking, jogging, or running).

Around that time I met my ex, who was a BIG lover of food, something I really never was despite being overweight, and I gained a fairly large chunk of that weight back.

Now I feel like I'm back in it, and doing it correctly as opposed to last time.

yogloo

I just did a 3k run. Man some of my muscles are sore. I am thinking on swapping kenpo x for a 3-5-eventually 10k run. Is that a good idea?

Whelp, I finished the recovery week for phase one and I'm starting phase two tomorrow. The past two weeks I've been really bad, missing more workouts than I'd like to admit and eating terribly. But even so, I can still tell that I'm making progress, at least in the strength department. I can actually do 5-6 unassisted chin-ups and 2-3 unassisted pull-ups now, so that's something.

And even with my horrible diet, I can tell that I'm still getting "fitter." My clothes seem fit a lot better (and some of my older clothes are too big!), and I've lost about five pounds. I took some pictures to compare to my Day 0 photos and I can just barely tell a difference in my appearance. I'm a bit slimmer everywhere and my biceps are noticeably bigger.

Entering phase two I'd like to rededicate myself to the program, and really try to buckle down and not miss so many workouts. My diet will be the real sticking point, but I'm going to try my best to eat as clean as possible.

recovery week over. (insanity) month 2 starts in the morning. i'm excited for this.

just a reflection i have of my first month, i'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks this but when i start working out, within about 3-5 mins all my ails seem cured lol.

had a headache? gone

body aches? what body aches?

nauseous? nope feel great now.

i kind of just zone and focus on sticking with the rest of the "team"

tanya is a beast i feel like she never stops. ariel is super flexible. when i do moving push ups i try to pattern myself after chris. he is almost pop locking his workouts. seems to have good form. really been working on my form.

starting to see and feel some very minor definition in the abs and chest and shoulders. i was nervous that i wasn't working my core hard enough this first month, but i'm excited to keep going now. hopefully you guys are having some good luck as well. enjoy your labor day! it's my birthday today.

Miutsu

My left arm hurts in the lower part of the bicep (I think?) when I stretch it, after doing kenpo X on saturday, I was hoping it would have healed by today as I don't have as much pain in my right arm and today is chest and back day, oh well.

On another note, I'm reposting this question I made in the weight loss thread because it also fits here (or even more):
So, for people following low carb diets or diets that happen to be low carb, how do you feel about a sugary meal/snack post workout? I've been doing low carb for over a month and started p90x just last week.

At first I was thinking about going with a whey protein shake but costs are too high in here for that, then I read that Chocolate Milk (with a ratio of 4:1 carbs/protein) can be pretty beneficial because you still need carbs to replenish the glycogen stores in your muscles, and post workout is when the body is more likely to use the carbs for that effect and not to help store fat in your body.

Might help to note that I'm overweight at the moment (220lb at 5' 8"), but we're all here to burn fat/get toned anyway :)

FOOTE

My left arm hurts in the lower part of the bicep (I think?) when I stretch it, after doing kenpo X on saturday, I was hoping it would have healed by today as I don't have as much pain in my right arm and today is chest and back day, oh well.

On another note, I'm reposting this question I made in the weight loss thread because it also fits here (or even more):

Might help to note that I'm overweight at the moment (220lb at 5' 8"), but we're all here to burn fat/get toned anyway :)

If I were in your situation, I'd go for a small banana and a cup of milk. The nutrition part has never been my real strong suit though, so someone else might have a better solution. I just know how to make every workout count, so I can make up for it a bit.

This morning I did the og ARX (side note, I've never been able to pump out 25 of those oblique crunch until today, so mini victory) and Beast Back. Tonight I'm doing Beta Cardio. I should be doing the Beta ab video but since I did ARX this morning, that would be overkill. My plan is to do the Beta ab video tomorrow morning and Beast shoulders in the evening after work.

So far my food intake has been a scoop of shakeology with a scoop of ON gold protein mixed with a cup of mik and 2 cups of water, a motherfracking awesome salad and a protein bar (spaced out, not all at once). Its funny how when I stay busy (i.e. not at work sitting at a desk) how much better I feel, even if I eat a bit less...

feeling god damn great today

Ixian

Started month two of my third run of Insanity today. Forgot how insane (lol) Max Interval Circuit is; I drank around 70 ounces of water over the course of the work out but I'm feeling prettttty good.

Miutsu

If I were in your situation, I'd go for a small banana and a cup of milk. The nutrition part has never been my real strong suit though, so someone else might have a better solution. I just know how to make every workout count, so I can make up for it a bit.

Well, in the end I was able to get ahold of this for 1/4 the price of pure whey protein isolate (but still too expensive, had to suck up the price). So I guess that following your advice, if I combine this with milk/skim milk then I'm golden? as I wouldn't need the banana in that case, although I would still be missing some carbs...

Today was the begining of my week 2 and I was able to go through the whole chest and back this time! Of course at my own pace/reps, but still feels nice. What doesn't feel nice is that I wasn't able to do ABRX again so I think I'm gonna follow some advice I read before and switch the workouts to do ABRX first, and then the main workout.

Love how it feels to be working out!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I won't claim I was a saint, BBQ gameday yesterday. sogoodthough :'(

Max Interval stuff is slaying my ass though. I'm bewildered imagining keeping up by the end of this thing. As much respect as I have for this program (and I am ultimately enjoying it) I definitely think something with a bigger strength emphasis and effort to gain muscle is more to my liking. My upper body has to hate me for this :p I have been consistently and safely losing weight though.
Started month two of my third run of Insanity today. Forgot how insane (lol) Max Interval Circuit is; I drank around 70 ounces of water over the course of the work out but I'm feeling prettttty good.
It really is just insane. I mean I guess it's great that they're living up to the namesake and all but god. For the first week ones I guess I felt pretty good and pretty bleh in about 50-50 proportions :p

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Getting back into the swing of things after my stomach bug last week. I'm still getting some heartburn after my workouts -- tomorrow I'm going to ditch my pre-workout Muscle Pharm Assault drink & see if that makes a difference. I don't know if it's just the jostling everything around during the workout, or sloshing the Assault around during the workout that's causing it. So, tomorrow, experiment.

Last week of Beta continues...

Top Bottom