• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I don't know why exactly is this, but the X2 workouts are making me sweat like crazy, even more than those in the original. Is not the weather since it's 54 degrees around here.

Just finished plyocide and DNA (lol) is still dripping from every pore.

LaneDS

Waiting in the ER to see if I've got surprise appendicitis, and what I'm maybe most bummed about is how I'll have to wait some period of time before continuing P90x. Was making such good progress it sucks to lose momentum like this.

Wait a vest? Are we talking leather Village People style or what here?

lol. Just saw this. A tanktop? It still gets called a vest in jolly old England.

Also top tip for everyone:

If you dont have this

sideImage_history.jpg

Youre doing it wrong. The time this has saved me is invaluable. Especially after a workout. Having your chicken cooked perfectly in 5 mins instead of a 20 minute grill is a god send especially with the post workout munchies.

Xeke

Banned
Day 2. Plyometrics for the first time kicked my ass but I made it through to end. Wasn't nearly as fast or as perfect form as them but did my best and kept up pretty well. Damn that kicked my ass. Will sleep well tonight.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Waiting in the ER to see if I've got surprise appendicitis, and what I'm maybe most bummed about is how I'll have to wait some period of time before continuing P90x. Was making such good progress it sucks to lose momentum like this.
Damn, that sucks if so, sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's just really, really, really bad gas. :|

First day of Shoulders & Arms today. I'm seriously a weakling when it comes to my upper body, but I did alright with the dumbbells and bands that I have. I wish I could have seen my face when I realized that there are two bonus rounds (I was expecting just one like in plyo) – side-tri-rises are killer! In P90MS, you do a version of those with your legs apart, and I can't believe how much easier they are compared to these ones. Anyway, I can tell I'll be feeling it tomorrow morning when I try to put my shirt on!

Getting better at ARX, but I really suck at crunchy frogs. Also, on the crossed/wide-leg sit-ups, did/does anyone else need to use both arms for momentum? The pros use one arm, with the other behind their head, but I just can't do that yet. I'm honestly surprised at how much of a difference it makes for me.

Does anyone do these exercises at the gym? I don't own heavy dumbbells at home, but when I do them at the gym, most of the normal gym goers there look at me as if I'm crazy.

I also add in a few squats towards the very end of the workout before the final warmdown.

Does anyone do these exercises at the gym? I don't own heavy dumbbells at home, but when I do them at the gym, most of the normal gym goers there look at me as if I'm crazy.

I also add in a few squats towards the very end of the workout before the final warmdown.

In a couple of months they will be like "dude what do you do I want to look like you!"

In a couple of months they will be like "dude what do you do I want to look like you!"

Well the first time I went in, I was being snickered at by a few of the "bros" in the far corner doing...curls.

Brought in the push-up bars and cranked it out with good form, mainly doing P90X Chest and Back (I own P90X2 but will do that this summer). Yeah, let's just say those laughing at not laughing anymore, when they can barely do ONE pull-up.

Starting strength (modified lower weights with P90X) burns a ton and has really shaped me well.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm only two days in and really sore. But it's a good sore. My legs are going to hate me tomorrow.

Just started today, but I'm doing the Lean Program. Trying to lose the weight I put on in law school.

I probably did about 75% of the core workout, and needless to say it kicked my ass. It was fun though.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'd also suggest eating excellent carbs that are also great sources of protein like beans. Lentils are delicious too, and they are super foods.

What's a good, P90X friendly recipe for lentils? I flipped through the nutrition book and don't remember seeing any recipes for that. I bought some from the bulk section and have no idea what to do with it.

LaneDS

Thanks everybody. Posting with one less appendix than before but feeling ok. Will return to bringing it in about a week if possible; good luck to you all in the meantime!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks everybody. Posting with one less appendix than before but feeling ok. Will return to bringing it in about a week if possible; good luck to you all in the meantime!
Feel better man! Sorry you had to go through this in the middle.

What's a good, P90X friendly recipe for lentils? I flipped through the nutrition book and don't remember seeing any recipes for that. I bought some from the bulk section and have no idea what to do with it.
I love lentils, but they're really hard to cook in my opinion. I think I've got some black lentils lying around so maybe I'll try this recipe with you:

2 cups lentils
2 or 3 tomatoes, grated
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or pressed
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
2 1/2 teaspoons paprika (some hot, if desired)
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup olive oil
Preparation:

Combine them all in a pot (or if you've got a pressure cooker...). Add 2 liters (about 2 quarts) of water, and bring to a simmer.

Cover, and simmer the lentils over medium heat about 1 1/2 hours, or until the lentils are tender and the sauce is not watery. (If the liquids reduce too much during cooking, add a little water to prevent the lentils from burning.) Adjust the seasoning if desired, and serve.

Mix up the ingredient to your preference. I need curry for example, it's crucial.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

I'm pretty horrible following cooking instructions so what I do is just grab stuff and mix it. One thing that I really like is cooking the lentils and adding sliced turkey breast. Maybe you can add some low fat feta cheese or skim mozzarella too. For even more flavor, stuff like cilantro or basil works great, and I also like to add some hot spice.

rkn

Hey guys, anyone sort of plateaued weight wise? I've dropped 60lbs (225-165) over the course of the last year (3 rounds of X and couple more weeks til X2 is in the books). But I've hit a wall - basically my weight will not budge from 160-165, and the BF around my mid area is like a permanent fixture of my body. Everything else is looking better though - shoulders, arms, chest, legs all more defined and my numbers with regards to the exercises have definitely gone up, especially pull ups, which was my weakest area.

About the only thing I changed is I'm lacking supplements, and my diet - while not "clean" isn't overall horrible (especially compared to my friends), I take in under 2000 cal per day, 1800 on avg. My goal was to push through this barrier and lose the pooch before summer - looking pretty hard to accomplish now. Any motivation / tips?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
"Keep at it" is the best and really only ultimate advice, but let's get some info and maybe people in here will have some suggestions.

-How tall are you?
-You said you did 3 rounds of X and are about done with X2- when/how did your weight loss so far take place? (Was it the most in the first round of X, even amounts during each round of X, etc.)
-What do you do for a living (how active are you besides P90X)?
-There's a lot to be said about what you're eating beyond how many calories you're eating- which is why the program comes with a huge nutrition plan guide rather than just a page about counting calories. What is your diet composed mostly of? In what ways is it not "clean"? Has your diet changed or remained consistent since you started losing weight?
-Depending on your caloric "allowance," you might not be maintaining enough of a deficit to effect any weight loss at your current weight. Maybe keeping track of what you eat at www.myfitnesspal.com would be helpful for you? Feel free to ask me about using the site.
-How long have you been at a weight-plateau?

Well the first time I went in, I was being snickered at by a few of the "bros" in the far corner doing...curls.

Brought in the push-up bars and cranked it out with good form, mainly doing P90X Chest and Back (I own P90X2 but will do that this summer). Yeah, let's just say those laughing at not laughing anymore, when they can barely do ONE pull-up.

Starting strength (modified lower weights with P90X) burns a ton and has really shaped me well.

This is so true. I'll never forget this one time I was at the gym and I saw these two dude bros that were working their arms like crazy. I'm sure 80% of their routine was arms. I watched them go over to do pull ups and the one guy is assisting the other as he is does his FIRST pull up.

Hey guys, anyone sort of plateaued weight wise? I've dropped 60lbs (225-165) over the course of the last year (3 rounds of X and couple more weeks til X2 is in the books). But I've hit a wall - basically my weight will not budge from 160-165, and the BF around my mid area is like a permanent fixture of my body. Everything else is looking better though - shoulders, arms, chest, legs all more defined and my numbers with regards to the exercises have definitely gone up, especially pull ups, which was my weakest area.

About the only thing I changed is I'm lacking supplements, and my diet - while not "clean" isn't overall horrible (especially compared to my friends), I take in under 2000 cal per day, 1800 on avg. My goal was to push through this barrier and lose the pooch before summer - looking pretty hard to accomplish now. Any motivation / tips?

Have you tried going even lower in cals? Back when I lost weight, I had to get down to 1500-1600 a day to get through my wall.

rkn

THanks for the adv.

-How tall are you?
5' 10"
-You said you did 3 rounds of X and are about done with X2- when/how did your weight loss so far take place? (Was it the most in the first round of X, even amounts during each round of X, etc.)
Lost 30 lbs prior to beginning on just diet changes. Another ~20 or so during R1, and the other ~10 during R2, R3 and X2 have been not so good weight wise, but good for definition, arms especially.
-What do you do for a living (how active are you besides P90X)?
Desk ~6 hours, Car ~2 hours, do walk on avg ~1 mile a day. Fairly active on weekends - out and about.
-There's a lot to be said about what you're eating beyond how many calories you're eating- which is why the program comes with a huge nutrition plan guide rather than just a page about counting calories. What is your diet composed mostly of? In what ways is it not "clean"? Has your diet changed or remained consistent since you started losing weight?
Definitely changed for the worse, but it really isn't bad, just by comparison as when I was "dieting" dieting, it was CSA, made my own meals, etc. I now eat out about half the time due to scheduling. Things like sugar intake are really low, the biggest change has been the reincorporation of bread, which I'm going to switch to making my own almond "paleo" bread. So I hope I see some results there.
-Depending on your caloric "allowance," you might not be maintaining enough of a deficit to effect any weight loss at your current weight. Maybe keeping track of what you eat at www.myfitnesspal.com would be helpful for you? Feel free to ask me about using the site.
Have the app, but after getting into the routine I stopped using it religiously, I'll hop back on just to reboot my intake and see what I'm not accounting for. I totally did forget about it though!
-How long have you been at a weight-plateau?
I'd say I've been stuck for a few months now, well I should be a little more clear, I think the weight is sloooooooowly coming off, I see transformations here and on other boards, and I just can't help but think I'm missing some aspect since it isn't as dramatic in the same amount of time.

Have you tried going even lower in cals? Back when I lost weight, I had to get down to 1500-1600 a day to get through my wall.
I've never gone that low for any length of time, maybe a day or two here and there, but I find myself getting nausea and ill if I eat under a certain amount, especially while "bringing it", could this be just a meal timing issue or meal composition pre and post workout? What should I be having to maximise and minimize those issues?

Just started today, but I'm doing the Lean Program. Trying to lose the weight I put on in law school.

I probably did about 75% of the core workout, and needless to say it kicked my ass. It was fun though.

Lean is good. i did that once. but sort of fell before the last 45 days lol. but i'm starting up lean again. on day 3 now!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks for the adv.
We're all here to help!

Your build is probably quite a lot like mine now and I definitely feel like these pounds are the hardest to shed. I lost 10 pounds in phase one, and it seemed to come off fast, but only 4 pounds in the first 3 weeks of phase 2 even though the workouts are actually tougher. You probably are slowly losing weight rather than having plateaued. Now you need to decide whether or not you need to accelerate that.

Lost 30 lbs prior to beginning on just diet changes. Another ~20 or so during R1, and the other ~10 during R2, R3 and X2 have been not so good weight wise, but good for definition, arms especially.

Desk ~6 hours, Car ~2 hours, do walk on avg ~1 mile a day. Fairly active on weekends - out and about.

Definitely changed for the worse, but it really isn't bad, just by comparison as when I was "dieting" dieting, it was CSA, made my own meals, etc. I now eat out about half the time due to scheduling. Things like sugar intake are really low, the biggest change has been the reincorporation of bread, which I'm going to switch to making my own almond "paleo" bread. So I hope I see some results there.

Have the app, but after getting into the routine I stopped using it religiously, I'll hop back on just to reboot my intake and see what I'm not accounting for. I totally did forget about it though!

I'd say I've been stuck for a few months now, well I should be a little more clear, I think the weight is sloooooooowly coming off, I see transformations here and on other boards, and I just can't help but think I'm missing some aspect since it isn't as dramatic in the same amount of time.
A couple of things, I think you're definitely right that the weight is probably slowly coming off, and you're gaining muscle, which will make the reading on the scale very difficult to trust.

From what I'm reading here, I think that if you want to be losing weight faster, you simply need to work on managing a larger caloric deficit every day (which is not to say you should be hungrier). You may need to shift some of the ratios of what you're eating. For example, you mentioned reincorporating bread, which makes me think you probably have it regularly (at least once a day?). While trying to burn fat, you really want to keep your carbs low and protein high. This is tough for me because I LOVE carbs; almost all my favorite foods are made of them. It's tricky but your body is going to jump on the chance to burn those carbs instead of the body fat you've accumulated.

I would say start tracking your stuff on that site again (exercise too, at least rough estimations) and see what kind of deficit (your total remaining calories for the day on MFP) you can feel comfortable with. If you find you're actually hitting 0 or going slightly negative some or most days, you've definitely found your answer.

If losing weight is the most important factor to you, you might also want to consider the P90X lean schedule. I gave it a lot of thought myself, but I really wanted to build some upper body strength (literally could not do a pull-up or chin-up prior to starting). I think I may start adding Cardio X on days when I feel like I have a lot of energy, though.

I've never gone that low for any length of time, maybe a day or two here and there, but I find myself getting nausea and ill if I eat under a certain amount, especially while "bringing it", could this be just a meal timing issue or meal composition pre and post workout? What should I be having to maximise and minimize those issues?
Protein. Protein protein, and also protein.

edit: Oh- possibly unrelated, but don't work out within an hour after eating. Some people in here even say until at least 2.5 hours have passed, to avoid nausea.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on day 3 of insanity.

jesus christ.... it's different than p90x, in that it makes you nearly faint. it's good though, because it's quicker and really really feels like a shorter workout. I'm wanting to drop my minor belly the 30+ has given me (not too bad, but I want to get athletic in time for my buddies wedding in hawaii in july).

Think I'll take another look at p90x once I've dropped some fat off.

Also got myself some bowflex dumbells. quite looking forward to using em.

Does anyone know of a good kitchen scale that gives calorie info? My ideal device would just hook up to the web and you put whatever the hell you want on there, then tell it what you're putting on there. Most of em seem to be pre-programmed that I could find, don't know why they aren't cloud aware yet.

Does anyone know of a good kitchen scale that gives calorie info? My ideal device would just hook up to the web and you put whatever the hell you want on there, then tell it what you're putting on there. Most of em seem to be pre-programmed that I could find, don't know why they aren't cloud aware yet.
Would likely never be even close to accurate, would have to be able to tell it the difference between different cuts of meat, not to mention any number of other factors. Not particularly difficult to work from the packaging on what you buy.

moramo

Banned
just got power90 today but i don't know how to start, i got

2 DVDs in-home boot camp

1 DVD fat burning system

which one to start ?

2 DVDs in-home boot camp

1 DVD fat burning system

which one to start ?

2 DvDs. Do sculpting 1-2 (or 3-4 if you are in shape). Then do cardio (sweat!) tomorrow. Switch everyday and take the 6th or 7th day off

The Fat Burner is a bonus

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Would likely never be even close to accurate, would have to be able to tell it the difference between different cuts of meat, not to mention any number of other factors. Not particularly difficult to work from the packaging on what you buy.
I think he's saying you'd type in what cut of meat it is, etc. But no such device exists to my knowledge. It just seems more trouble than it's worth. Using a regular kitchen scale you can weigh out how much of something you're using and then use an online resource to find out how many calories that much of that something was worth after you eat.

Or better still, start with the online resource so you can control how many calories you want to take in, then weigh that much of the item out.

My boss just emailed me:
There’s a big tin of cookies and brownies in the lunch room. Please feel free to help yourself. Enjoy :D
so evil

Hmm, well when I was dieting I made sure to get at least 150g of protein a day, so a lot of shakes with water. I never really found myself being that hungry or anything, which is especially odd because I'm a very heavy eater, hence why I had to get on a diet in the first place :p

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

2 DVDs in-home boot camp

1 DVD fat burning system

which one to start ?
Read the guide; it's pretty helpful. The Fat Burner Express is a really good workout though, so don't forget about it. I did it for a week after P90 and it helped me drop a few more pounds fast.

Tattooth

Week 1 done! I am not really noticing results, but I didn't expect to. My legs and back are so tight, I can barely stand up straight, it makes me look like such an idiot when I'm walking.

Week 1 done! I am not really noticing results, but I didn't expect to. My legs and back are so tight, I can barely stand up straight, it makes me look like such an idiot when I'm walking.

Wait a month. Take a pic and compare. You will see results. Day to day you wont see any changes as you will adjust to the changes slowly.

Keep it up man.

It took me about 4 weeks to see some change in my body. Mostly seeing it in my arms. Biceps and shoulders and back seem to be the most defined. I can flex and see a nice bicep bump. I never saw that before. My shoulders and back just look more sculpted and lean. Love seeing that so far. I think my hips have shrunk a bit too but it may be my chest got bigger? I'm not sure. I had a flat stomach before p90x but I had love handles and now they seem to be smaller. My chest and abs are of course the last to be showing any improvement :( But still a long way to go. Im in week 6 now i think. You'll see results. Bank on it!!

D23

lol. Just saw this. A tanktop? It still gets called a vest in jolly old England.

If you dont have this

sideImage_history.jpg

Youre doing it wrong. The time this has saved me is invaluable. Especially after a workout. Having your chicken cooked perfectly in 5 mins instead of a 20 minute grill is a god send especially with the post workout munchies.

wow i just bought geogre foreman grill a couple of hours ago, been grilling chicken breast, ITS SOOO GOOOD, and tender and juicy!! this thing is godsend for real

Bought a foreman few months ago and it is indeed awesome. Only regret was I bought the small one and it's only big enough for single serving of meat or whatever. Wish I got a large one for family cooking. I recommend not cooking frozen food on it though, especially meats. Doesn't taste as good and comes out dry. Thawed out grilled chicken breast tastes amazing on this thing. I cooked homemade lean hamburgers tonight on it.

D23

Bought a foreman few months ago and it is indeed awesome. Only regret was I bought the small one and it's only big enough for single serving of meat or whatever. Wish I got a large one for family cooking. I recommend not cooking frozen food on it though, especially meats. Doesn't taste as good and comes out dry. Thawed out grilled chicken breast tastes amazing on this thing. I cooked homemade lean hamburgers tonight on it.

i defrost my frozen chicken breast on microwave before, and then put some lemon pepper flavoring on my chicken, and put it on the foreman grill for 6 minutes. DONE!!!

eat it with mixed veggies.. so goood

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I got my tub of Syntha 6 powder today. I think I'll put some ice into the shake next time to make it thicker. Do you guys add anything else? I have powder + almond milk + ice

Oh, I just realized I made my shake wrong. I leveled the scoop instead of making a rounded scoop

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
wow i just bought geogre foreman grill a couple of hours ago, been grilling chicken breast, ITS SOOO GOOOD, and tender and juicy!! this thing is godsend for real
It's intriguing to see that mentioned in this thread. I want to go for one, but really if I'm going to buy a new cooking device I'd really like to just go for one of these:

aGs6R.png

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MYSDVA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think the concept is so damn cool and I know I'd use it all the time. Hmmmmm.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I got my tub of Syntha 6 powder today. I think I'll put some ice into the shake next time to make it thicker. Do you guys add anything else? I have powder + almond milk + ice

Oh, I just realized I made my shake wrong. I leveled the scoop instead of making a rounded scoop

Add a super food to your shake: blueberries.

vatstep

Did Yoga X today for the first time. It wasn't so bad, but the first twenty minutes or so were extreeemely long and boring. Once you pick up the pace a bit, it's a little more bearable.

I had some trouble with the half moon, twisting half moon, whatever-they're-called poses, and I just said fuck it when they did crane, but other than that, I did alright. I was kind of expecting it to be a more difficult workout, but I guess it's not bad... The limited experience I have with yoga, and being fairly flexible, definitely seemed to help. Really not looking forward to doing it twice during recovery weeks, though. :|

I will say that I'm much more tired right now than I have been after any other day yet. Not sure if it's just cumulative from the week, or if this is actually a better workout than I actually thought at the time.

It's intriguing to see that mentioned in this thread. I want to go for one, but really if I'm going to buy a new cooking device I'd really like to just go for one of these:

aGs6R.png

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MYSDVA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I think the concept is so damn cool and I know I'd use it all the time. Hmmmmm.

this was actually on sale on nomorerack.com for $30 cheaper. may not be the same brand though.

EDIT: actually it's right here.

http://nomorerack.com/daily_deals/view/58436-infrachef_family_size_halogen_oven

just checked on amazon.

the one you got is better.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045Z4PIE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anth0ny

I'm on day 3 of insanity.

jesus christ.... it's different than p90x, in that it makes you nearly faint. it's good though, because it's quicker and really really feels like a shorter workout. I'm wanting to drop my minor belly the 30+ has given me (not too bad, but I want to get athletic in time for my buddies wedding in hawaii in july).

Think I'll take another look at p90x once I've dropped some fat off.

Also got myself some bowflex dumbells. quite looking forward to using em.

I dunno, I tried insanity, and I just didn't find it fun. Too repetitive. I actually had fun doing P90X, Tony Horton is too awesome.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
If you follow the nutrition plan for the programs, protein bars are a requirement for each day. Do you guys have other alternatives? I'll be moving out of the US next week, and I suspect getting bars and protein powders is not going to be as easy (and cheap) as you can get them here. As far as a protein drink I guess I'll have to go with the milk/chocolate milk route, but I don't know how to get something similar to the protein bar.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Ok here's a revised day example of what I will do and just want some input if it's ok.

Brekfast
1 cup of baked beans with 8(oz) of skimmed milk –
Snack –
Protein bar
Lunch –
yoghurt (fat free with protein) with cucumber sandwich and orange
Snack (before and after workout)
Banana with protein powder drink (x2)
Dinner
Chicken breast (6oz) with mushrooms, onions.

I aim to try and have around 175 grams of protein in my system as my weight is around that in pounds, would that be right to do?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

If you dont have this

sideImage_history.jpg

I got one of these from my parents last X-mas and love it. Grill plate on one side, flat griddle on the other.

51jHurgMT1L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-GR-4N-5-in-1-Griddler/dp/B002YD99Y4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334839621&sr=8-1

Top Bottom