• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've got a small panini grill as well, never thought of using it to cook cuts of meat, but definitely one reason I'd prefer something more versatile than the foreman.

edit: wow that thing is cool, you can flip either side or both and use both as griddles simultaneously too:
s3d21l.jpg

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
People from the UK here, what Protein Bars did you go for or what you would reccomend?

People from the UK here, what Protein Bars did you go for or what you would reccomend?
MyProtein MyBar Cookies.

For me, they're unquestionably the best out there (and I've tried something like 60 different ones). If you're looking for more of a meal replacement (balanced protein / carbs) bar, then the Clif Builders bars are nice.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Ok here's a revised day example of what I will do and just want some input if it's ok.

Brekfast
1 cup of baked beans with 8(oz) of skimmed milk –
Snack –
Protein bar
Lunch –
yoghurt (fat free with protein) with cucumber sandwich and orange
Snack (before and after workout)
Banana with protein powder drink (x2)
Dinner
Chicken breast (6oz) with mushrooms, onions.

I aim to try and have around 175 grams of protein in my system as my weight is around that in pounds, would that be right to do?

It looks better than last time. However, the plan still looks too low calorie to me. My weight is also 175 (I'm 6'2), and I have to eat 2400 calories a day.

I don't see any healthy fat in your diet, so I'd recommend to add one to it (olive oil, peanut butter). I'd also try to add at least one more source of protein, like a can of tuna with vegetables.

It looks better than last time. However, the plan still looks too low calorie to me. My weight is also 175 (I'm 6'2), and I have to eat 2400 calories a day.

I don't see any healthy fat in your diet, so I'd recommend to add one to it (olive oil, peanut butter). I'd also try to add at least one more source of protein, like a can of tuna with vegetables.

Agree on the fat. If you like avocados they are a great source for that. When they are cheap I'll get them and have them as a snack with a little salt and pepper.

I still eat bacon from time to time. There are extremely lean versions out there, and you can't deny yourself everything for the rest of your life. :)

Of course, streaky might be off the table outside of cheat days.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
No need to "miss" bacon! Eat it, in moderation it's fine. :p

I posted my eating schedule back a ways, though I am getting groceries tonight. I know I need a bit of extra calories, and am going to look into Whey instead of Muscle Milk. Anything I should try for lunches at work besides soup that is cheap?

Weekdays look like this:
Breakfast - Muscle Milk shake
Snack - Almonds
Lunch - Can of chunky/campbells/progresso soup
Snack - Oranges/almonds
Dinner - Chicken & roasted veggies OR Eggs + sauteed veggies + tuna.

Calories (for a weekday) typically end up at 1200-1500. I'm never hungry though, so not sure what I need to add. Weekends are higher calorie, and I eat a bit worse.

Amirnol

Anyone use Shakeology? Been using it for a week now as a breakfast replacement, feeling great so far. It is a bit pricey though.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member

2400 calories? Jesus, I wouldn't be able to do that anymore, I always feel fine around the 17-2000 range mark and I don't wan to expand massively with muscles, I only want to be defined and shaped a fair bit. I will add Tuna with vegie too, among with olive oil/olives to fit that fat part. It boogles my mind how much body science I have learnt from doing this.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Anyone use Shakeology? Been using it for a week now as a breakfast replacement, feeling great so far. It is a bit pricey though.

I tried the GreenBerry, but couldn't stomach the taste on a daily basis.

I see that they have some type of Strawberry flavor now, so I may give it another shot. The whole "false positive" for steroids has me worried, though, since I have to take a piss test at work every month or so.

Amirnol

I have chocolate flavored Shakeology, it's a little bitter, but combined with an avocado it's incredible. Smooth and creamy, really delicious.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
2400 calories? Jesus, I wouldn't be able to do that anymore, I always feel fine around the 17-2000 range mark and I don't wan to expand massively with muscles, I only want to be defined and shaped a fair bit. I will add Tuna with vegie too, among with olive oil/olives to fit that fat part. It boogles my mind how much body science I have learnt from doing this.

Yeah, getting to 2400 is calories could take a lot of work some days, but that's what the P90x plan recommends. However, and as far as I understand, if you are under-eating you are only going to be compromising your results. This means that either you'll bonk during workouts, or your body will go into starvation mode (even if you feel ok) and will "eat" your hard-earned muscle.

You guys' belly ever get bigger after you eat something? Mine does that, and it gets tricky to see progress in the mirror since in the morning I'm like "oh yea! Look them thinning abs!" and I eat breakfast I just see a belly :/

Nope... not even when I had a six pack.

Technically yes though, mostly because your actual stomach lies behind your muscles, so it just pushes them out. Without definition it's indeed making your belly look bigger. :)

Nope... not even when I had a six pack.

Technically yes though, mostly because your actual stomach lies behind your muscles, so it just pushes them out. Without definition it's indeed making your belly look bigger. :)

So more work on that definition then? Aww well fuck it I was going to do another round anyway (last week of P90X)

Well what do you say? I can afford the basic package but I kind of want the ultimate package so I don't need to shop around for the balls or the foam roller

And your accident with one of the medicine balls(?) scares me too when it popped

You want the deluxe or ultimate? I don't think the ultimate is worth the extra $30 for the rumble roller and push up stands. The regular foam roller did me well. I bought my medicine balls and foam roller separate and it came out to be about the same price as the deluxe package.

My accident with the stability ball was probably user error more than anything :) I don't think I had the plug all the way in. I didn't have any problems with it again.

You want the deluxe or ultimate? I don't think the ultimate is worth the extra $30 for the rumble roller and push up stands. The regular foam roller did me well. I bought my medicine balls and foam roller separate and it came out to be about the same price as the deluxe package.

My accident with the stability ball was probably user error more than anything :) I don't think I had the plug all the way in. I didn't have any problems with it again.

I want the ultimate...it's like $365 dollars on amazon...I figured all the equipments would come out the same anyway. I have been looking for a new push up stand. But I don't know keep talking!

I want the ultimate...it's like $365 dollars on amazon...I figured all the equipments would come out the same anyway. I have been looking for a new push up stand. But I don't know keep talking!

I'd say just wait until you can afford the ultimate. I wish I would have got the Valeo med balls. Thats the great thing about Beachbody. Their products are legit.

Well you could do a round of P90X doubles and start upping weight and lowering reps.

Yea I could spend the money on bigger weights. Do you favor doing the round again or p90x2? I would like to do double but I dont think I have the time to do it...

I am suddenly leaning towards impulse buying X2 because summer is coming which means no night school

Yea I could spend the money on bigger weights. Do you favor doing the round again or p90x2? I would like to do double but I dont think I have the time to do it...

For me I really enjoy variety. If I do something too long I get bored with it. That's not the case for everyone though. I've bounced all around from Insanity, Asylum, P90X, even Chalean (did it with my fiancé, don't judge me!). If you can afford it I'd say do X2. If not, do X again. You don't need me to tell you what a great program it is.

LaneDS

Should I post my beginning to phase one complete + appendectomy photos, or wait till I get phase 2 and 3 under my belt too? Hm.

For me I really enjoy variety. If I do something too long I get bored with it. That's not the case for everyone though. I've bounced all around from Insanity, Asylum, P90X, even Chalean (did it with my fiancé, don't judge me!). If you can afford it I'd say do X2. If not, do X again. You don't need me to tell you what a great program it is.

Let me go check my credit card balances...lol

While I do that, would you say I'd need anything else if I buy the ultimate package? I might buy a new pair of sneakers for indoor for plyo since I did P90X barefooted. How about weights? I have 5/12/15/20

Let me go check my credit card balances...lol

While I do that, would you say I'd need anything else if I buy the ultimate package? I might buy a new pair of sneakers for indoor for plyo. How about weights? I have 5/12/15/20

Yes get shoes! Cross trainers.

Are 20's getting pretty easy for you with curls and tricep moves? If so you might wan't to pick up some 25's or 30's. Your lower weights should work out fine. There are a couple moves on the stability ball where a really low weight is necessary. You could always pick those up later and they are fairly cheap.

Other than that you might want to pick up one band. It's needed for one move in V sculpt I beleive. Also the band is nice for the NIS stretching you will be doing. Otherwise you would need to use a towel.

Yes get shoes! Cross trainers.

Are 20's getting pretty easy for you with curls and tricep moves? If so you might wan't to pick up some 25's or 30's. Your lower weights should work out fine. There are a couple moves on the stability ball where a really low weight is necessary. You could always pick those up later and they are fairly cheap.

Other than that you might want to pick up one band. It's needed for one move in V sculpt I beleive. Also the band is nice for the NIS stretching you will be doing. Otherwise you would need to use a towel.

For some biceps moves 20s are pretty easy. Triceps 12 usually kick my ass. As for the bands I have just the lightest resistance (red) that came with P90. Does that work?

And I just want to make sure: you think it's okay if I just modify all the pull up moves to the ones in P90X? (regular, close, wide, reverse)

For some biceps moves 20s are pretty easy. Triceps 12 usually kick my ass. As for the bands I have just the lightest resistance (red) that came with P90. Does that work?

And I just want to make sure: you think it's okay if I just modify all the pull up moves to the ones in P90X? (regular, close, wide, reverse)

Ya that red band will be fine. You need it for stretching more than anything.

The lever pull up is the only move you would need to modify if you are worried about the door breaking. Unless I'm forgetting another one. Maybe DC or lljride would have some input. I can't remember any of the other pull ups being as extreme.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, getting to 2400 is calories could take a lot of work some days, but that's what the P90x plan recommends. However, and as far as I understand, if you are under-eating you are only going to be compromising your results. This means that either you'll bonk during workouts, or your body will go into starvation mode (even if you feel ok) and will "eat" your hard-earned muscle.

Damn, when I did the body plan test I was just over level 1 (1900-2000 mark) so I am going to stick to that level set but I'll add some more stuff to it (like food with higher calories) so that will help.

HP i am getting it. Wont ordrer until mext week because the earliest it can come in is Monday. Lets talk about the phases!

I'm aiming to start next Saturday. I have school Mon and Wed so I want one of those days to be recovery. Based off DC's schedule in the OP then I will do YogaX2 on Wednesday...can't be too bad if I'm doing YogaX already right? I really want to avoid resistance workouts during school nights

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
HP i am getting it. Wont ordrer until mext week because the earliest it can come in is Monday. Lets talk about the phases!

I'm aiming to start next Saturday. I have school Mon and Wed so I want one of those days to be recovery. Based off DC's schedule in the OP then I will do YogaX2 on Wednesday...can't be too bad if I'm doing YogaX already right? I really want to avoid resistance workouts during school nights
Yoga X2 is omgsomuchbetter than the original. I've replaced it for my round of X. Last time (3 days ago...?) I tried doing X again. I got through the moving asanas and then saw there were still 45 minutes to go. Did 15 minutes of balance work on my own and resolved not to try it again. It's not just that it's long, it's slow; I get that the intro asanas are really a continuation of the warmup, but man. It just goes on and on and on. Yoga X2 is paced much more enjoyably.

On the contrary, on a tangentially related topic, Core Synergistics has to have the best pacing of them all. It feels shorter to me than Cardio X even though it's almost an hour. I have a bad habit of looking at the clock after every particularly tough set. Instead of "oh god still 35 minutes" like I find myself saying with Plyo, it's like "Whoa, already under 20 minutes left!"

Yoga X2 is omgsomuchbetter than the original. I've replaced it for my round of X. Last time (3 days ago...?) I tried doing X again. I got through the moving asanas and then saw there were still 45 minutes to go. Did 15 minutes of balance work on my own and resolved not to try it again. It's not just that it's long, it's slow; I get that the intro asanas are really a continuation of the warmup, but man. It just goes on and on and on. Yoga X2 is paced much more enjoyably.

On the contrary, on a tangentially related topic, Core Synergistics has to have the best pacing of them all. It feels shorter to me than Cardio X even though it's almost an hour. I have a bad habit of looking at the clock after every particularly tough set. Instead of "oh god still 35 minutes" like I find myself saying with Plyo, it's like "Whoa, already under 20 minutes left!"

Lol I will take your word for it, which is why I think having yogax2 on school nights might just work. As with yogaX, I just turn on my favorite shows while I do the stretching exercises

And lol @ your earlier post on doing stretch x.

In terms of pacing, I probably like plyo the most.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Plyo is definitely great, and it goes by really fast considering how intense it is from start to finish. I guess it's just the extra variety in Core than makes it feel shorter to me.

Plyo is definitely great, and it goes by really fast considering how intense it is from start to finish. I guess it's just the extra variety in Core than makes it feel shorter to me.

I do the workouts without shoes (too dirty) and hip raise hurts my feet like crazy. Also Synergistics for me has some of the toughest workouts without heavy resistance, fucks me up

Do I then just follow the phases as listed per OP and the guide that comes with it?

When I get home from work I'll look over the schedule and give you some input on what I'd do on my next time around. Nothing you'd want to follow exactly since you want to get a feel for the program and go at your own pace.

Top Bottom