• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
End of Week 1!

Kenpo X... I sort of loved it, sort of hated it. Lots of familiar stuff from other Tony Horton programs, but some of it just seems almost pointless. All the block moves did absolutely nothing for me, and there are like three or four punch/claw/grab + slide/dash moves that all feel pretty much the same. It was a pretty good workout otherwise. All the yelling is really annoying, though.

Between today and Legs & Back yesterday, I'm groaning whenever I have to stand up and get off the couch, haha.

We appear to be on opposite ends of the spectrum... I weigh exactly the same a month later, but am more muscular. I'd like to shed some pounds because I'm right above 200 lbs, and on a 5'8" frame that seems like far too much (though most are surprised when I say I weigh that much).
Damn, that seems crazy. Is your scale broken?! I'm 5'7", and when I was at my heaviest a couple of years ago (210-ish), I was absolutely huge. Now I'm 140 and look thin with clothes on, but I still have this gut...

LaneDS

Gave that a watch, and thank you. I promise if I'm belly aching a week from now still, I'll refer back to that and promptly stop and get on with doing something.

As for the 5'8" / 200 lbs stuff, I wish my scale was broken vat! But it is what it is, and I'm going to try and not worry about what it says moving forward. Congrats on finishing week 1! Push yourself just as hard for week 2, if not harder (but don't give yourself appendicitis). Also, when you do kenpo (and really any of the workouts) try to really overdo the moves that seem like they're not doing much. With the blocks, go really deep into your squat and really define each move in a big way, if that makes sense; I know I'm sweating at the end of that block sequence.

Hawkian, I have no idea where I carry the weight... I might be more muscular underneath it all than I give myself credit for, because otherwise it doesn't make much sense. Or I'm just a super dense fat and muscle creature. Maybe that.

All right, second to last Core Synergistics

Maybe it's the lack of sleep, maybe it's the mental blocks on this tough workout, maybe I finally have enough core strength to really engage in this exercise, maybe it's the hot weather, but shit I almost vomited. Muscle confusion to the finest, I am totally familiar with every other workouts within the schedule and this one hits me like a rock. Did way more adapting than mastery, groaned every time I had to do a push-up exercise, and had to take extended breaks and remind myself to take it easy

Fuuuuuuucccck

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Yoga X2 is too awesome. It makes me sweat more than the other yoga, the moves flow together really well, the kids on this video are very cool, and the pacing is excellent.

Still despise abrinome though, lol.

That's all well and good, but I've literally been able to do nothing up until yesterday.

The problem with the back is that it holds everything else together, especially in terms of balance when you've got weight on one side of you. I tried doing legs and arms to work around it and almost every move I made caused me a ton of pain... which really couldn't have been helping.

mehdi_san

So I'm starting week 11 today (my p90x weeks start on saturdays so I can do plyo on sundays :) ), and I can't believe how fast this went. I still have 3 weeks left, so it's maybe early to comment on the results, but my pants don't fit me anymore and I had to go buy new clothes the other day lol!
c1PLm.jpg

I'm gonna be out of the country (visiting South Korea yay!) for a full week next week though, so I won't be able to do week 12. What would you guys recommend me to do when I'm back home? Should I just start week 13 (last recovery week) or should I just take it from where I left and do week 12 first?

End of Week 1!

Kenpo X... I sort of loved it, sort of hated it. Lots of familiar stuff from other Tony Horton programs, but some of it just seems almost pointless. All the block moves did absolutely nothing for me, and there are like three or four punch/claw/grab + slide/dash moves that all feel pretty much the same. It was a pretty good workout otherwise. All the yelling is really annoying, though.

Between today and Legs & Back yesterday, I'm groaning whenever I have to stand up and get off the couch, haha.

Damn, that seems crazy. Is your scale broken?! I'm 5'7", and when I was at my heaviest a couple of years ago (210-ish), I was absolutely huge. Now I'm 140 and look thin with clothes on, but I still have this gut...

I personally don't think P90X is a great fat blaster. The guts the hardest place to lose fat from. I'm 75Kg and theres still a little fat I want gone.

Try insanity. I'm in month 2 now and the fats melting away. It's also toned me a lot more than P90X did

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I personally don't think P90X is a great fat blaster. The guts the hardest place to lose fat from. I'm 75Kg and theres still a little fat I want gone.

Try insanity. I'm in month 2 now and the fats melting away. It's also toned me a lot more than P90X did
Thanks. I'm not really in a rush to lose the last bit of fat (it doesn't really bother me that much), and am fully committed to P90X now, so I'm going to stick with it. I haven't thought far ahead enough to what I might do next, but Insanity is something I've considered.

LaneDS said:
Also, when you do kenpo (and really any of the workouts) try to really overdo the moves that seem like they're not doing much. With the blocks, go really deep into your squat and really define each move in a big way, if that makes sense; I know I'm sweating at the end of that block sequence.
I do try to do this, and I felt like I was deeper in my squat than even anyone in the video on that particular move, but for this first week I'm just chalking it up to not knowing the moves that well yet. I'm sure I'll get better quickly. The thing about these videos compared to other Tony Horton stuff I've done is that there's very little instruction or explanation of form. That's really a good thing in the long run, as it gives the workouts a faster pace, but I was just personally used to him thoroughly explaining everything (which gets OLD fast when you're doing the routines repeatedly).

GCNemesis

Haven't checked in for a while, but have been popping in now and then. Congrats to everyone's progress!

Hit a bit of a rough patch around Easter as it coincided with my wife's birthday so we both loosened our diet a little bit and I missed a couple of days so I've restarted my second week of PAP. Really enjoy the variety in the moves especially how PAP Lower works the sides of the waist with the Triangles and hip raises.

Progress has plateaued around the 195 range and visual progress remains the same, but I expect the additional 3 weeks will help me get down to 190 with additional toning. I've been throwing in Ab Ripper on the Upper days and one rest day.

On a related note, I've been in the market for protein bars to help curb appetite throughout the day and I really wanted to create my own to be cost-effective and to be conscious of the ingredients that go into them. So I came across a recipe online that I decided to give a shot. After about a $25 investment (plus cost of protein if you don't already have it), the cost per bar (if you used all of the ingredients you bought to make these bars) came out to be around 25 cents! I can post the recipe and caloric breakdown if people are interested.

Went in with expectations of it being a slightly moist brownie-like faint-chocolate-flavored bar and I believe my expectations were met. Tasted good for what went into them and were pretty filling. I think I'm going to play around with the recipe for my next batch to see if I can incorporate a little more protein. Overall, pretty satisfied with the results!

95kEH.png

GCNemesis

I used Gold Optimum 100% Whey Double Chocolate for my protein ingredient. Ended up being a lower-calorie, less sugary version of a Special K Protein Meal Bar. I think next batch I'll add 8-12 oz of Chobani Fat-Free Greek Yogurt to increase the protein and fluffiness:

Recipe (makes 15 bars in 9x13 pan):
  • 3.5 cups of Quick Oats
  • 1.5 cups of Powdered Non-Fat Milk
  • 1 cup Sugar-Free Pancake Syrup
  • 2 egg whites (usually 1/3 cup of egg white from carton)
  • 1/4 cup of Orange Juice
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/4 cup of Natural/Unsweetened Applesauce
  • 4 scoops of protein powder

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
  2. Grease 9x13 pan (or baking sheet with foil for thinner bars)
  3. Combine dry ingredients
  4. Combine wet ingredients
  5. Combine wet into dry ingredients and stir
  6. Pour evenly into pan/sheet
  7. Bake until edges brown (I found 25 minutes to be appropriate)
  8. Cut into desired size bars
  9. Store in airtight containers (optional: then refrigerate) or store in freezer bags and freeze

Nutrition Information Per Bar (from 15 bar batch):
  • Calories: 145
  • Fat: 1.5 g
  • Cholesterol: 8.1 mg
  • Sodium: 94 mg
  • Potassium: 133 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 20 g (2g fiber / 4g sugar)
  • Protein: 11.8 g
  • Vitamin A: 3%
  • Vitamin C: 6%
  • Calcium: 11%
  • Iron: 5%

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished the first phase of P90x2, and overall, I absolutely loved it. My favorite workout is probably Plyocide, but I loved all of them. Just looking at my worksheets, I improved a lot, which makes my happy. I'm also finally able to touch the floor with my palms.

Thank you Tony you beautiful clown.

grumble

They're different though; insanity is an interval cardio program, P90X is a general fitness program. You'd get stronger on P90X than insanity, generally (though still much less than if you lifted weights).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So insanity is a good bet to lose weight? I'm really enjoying the strength gains I'm getting from P90X and it's definitely making a huge impact in terms of getting me generally in shape, but I have a feeling I'm going to want to shed a bit more after it's all said and done.

grumble

So insanity is a good bet to lose weight? I'm really enjoying the strength gains I'm getting from P90X and it's definitely making a huge impact in terms of getting me generally in shape, but I have a feeling I'm going to want to shed a bit more after it's all said and done.

Insanity is a cardio program, and by doing it you'll burn a few hundred extra calories a day. The easiest way to lose fat has always been a calorie-restricted balanced diet combined with exercise to preserve muscle. I'd see insanity as a supplement to that, and I'd work hard to keep the muscle which insanity might not be ideal for. Depends on your goals.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Insanity is a cardio program, and by doing it you'll burn a few hundred extra calories a day. The easiest way to lose fat has always been a calorie-restricted balanced diet combined with exercise to preserve muscle. I'd see insanity as a supplement to that, and I'd work hard to keep the muscle which insanity might not be ideal for. Depends on your goals.
Well, my goals for this round of P90X was just to generally get in shape, especially upper body, and it's damn effective for that to be sure. I think some supplementary cardio might be good for me in the aftermath though.

Just finished the first phase of P90x2, and overall, I absolutely loved it. My favorite workout is probably Plyocide, but I loved all of them. Just looking at my worksheets, I improved a lot, which makes my happy. I'm also finally able to touch the floor with my palms.

Thank you Tony you beautiful clown.

I'm starting it next week. What can I look forward to?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm starting it next week. What can I look forward to?

Badassery.

It's a load of fun. There are tons of new moves that look very cool and make you sweat buckets. The whole phase felt pretty similar to Core Synergistics, so if you love that, you'll love this too.

Tony seems to be a little more laid-back in X2 though, so is now up to you to push yourself as far as you can go.

And of course, the new Yoga is boss.

Badassery.

It's a load of fun. There are tons of new moves that look very cool and make you sweat buckets. The whole phase felt pretty similar to Core Synergistics, so if you love that, you'll love this too.

Tony seems to be a little more laid-back in X2 though, so is now up to you to push yourself as far as you can go.

And of course, the new Yoga is boss.

Thanks! Btw, what weights do you use for phase 1. I have 5/12/15/20. I usually use 15 or 20 for the strength exercises, and 5 for core synergistics. I am most likely going to buy either 8s or 10s, but it would be helpful to know relatively what you have been using

Xeke

Banned
Well, my goals for this round of P90X was just to generally get in shape, especially upper body, and it's damn effective for that to be sure. I think some supplementary cardio might be good for me in the aftermath though.

Did you do p90x doubles with cardio x incorporated?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Thanks! Btw, what weights do you use for phase 1. I have 5/12/15/20. I usually use 15 or 20 for the strength exercises, and 5 for core synergistics. I am most likely going to buy either 8s or 10s, but it would be helpful to know relatively what you have been using

I had to use 15's for most of the exercises. There were a couple where I could go to 25's, and for some I even had to go with only 5's. Doing curls in Warrior 3 stance is quite crazy, and there are others where I was afraid the dumbbell would fall into my face because I was on a stability ball.

I've been looking for a way to incorporate the gym into my p90x schedule (p90x is awesome and all, but nothing beats simple bench presses and squats), but i have no idea on when i should be doing it. I was thinking of doing doubles, but would it be better to do it on days where I'm already doing strength DVD's, or on days where I'm doing things like yoga? And does anyone have a decent list of moves to do in the gym (or at least a site where i can get them from)?

I3rand0

Are there any modified P90X2 workouts that remove phase 3 (PAP)? I've already completed X2 once, but in my opinion, Phase 2 is the best of the three phases. I've restarted the program again, cut Phase 1 down to 3 weeks, and now I'm stretching Phase to 6 weeks. However, I'm not sure what to do for the final 3 weeks if I don't want to do PAP again. Is there some blend of Phase 1 and 2 I can incorporate or should I just keep doing Phase 2 for an extra 3 weeks?

Also, has anyone tried X2 Chest + Shoulders + Tris or V-Sculpt? Are either of these a better workout than X2 Shoulder and Arms? I don't have any resistance bands and I seem to recall needing those for V-Sculpt.

Amirnol

I'm finished my first week of p90x and am on my second week of a high protein diet. Basically 50% protein, 30% carb, 20% fat, typical fat shredder diet. Here's an issue I've been running into pretty much every day, and it's a nasty one.... basically I have horrible gas and my stomach/intestines are gurgling almost all day long.

It's incredibly uncomfortable and there were 2 days where it turned to real pain and diarreha. I've been reading about gas problems that come with a high protein diet and it seems like more fibre is the key. Could anyone recommend a good source of fibre without too many carbs? Or anyone who's experienced this could you share your solutions?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm finished my first week of p90x and am on my second week of a high protein diet. Basically 50% protein, 30% carb, 20% fat, typical fat shredder diet. Here's an issue I've been running into pretty much every day, and it's a nasty one.... basically I have horrible gas and my stomach/intestines are gurgling almost all day long.

It's incredibly uncomfortable and there were 2 days where it turned to real pain and diarreha. I've been reading about gas problems that come with a high protein diet and it seems like more fibre is the key. Could anyone recommend a good source of fibre without too many carbs? Or anyone who's experienced this could you share your solutions?

Are you trying new protein bars / protein shakes? I felt the same way for a few days when I started eating Pure Protein bars and Syntha 6. It takes a while for your body to get used to all that new protein. Oh, and try to eat around 30g of protein at a time. Eating more than that will be difficult to process for your stomach I've heard.

As for high fiber things, fruits like pineapples and berries are great carbs. Also black beans, lentils, garbanzo, etc.

I3rand0

Try this cereal. I eat a bowl of this every morning before work:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZXE9QA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

GCNemesis

Thanks GC. Giving these a try. I'm going to use chocolate mint ON. Hope it doesn't make it funky.

No problem, let me know how they come out. The chocolate mint shouldn't be bad, the bars have a slight orange taste to them because of the OJ so you'll get a nice combo of flavors.

KingGondo

Banned
Just finished week 1 (lean program)!

I feel really good, especially after the Kenpo X program today. I'll probably follow the recommendation to replace Cardio X (which was relatively easy) with Kenpo, since one of my main goals is to drop some weight. My favorites: Kenpo X, Yoga X. Hardest: Legs & Back with Ab Ripper X.

Can anyone recommend a good protein bar? I thought there was a recommendation in the OP, but I can't find it. I find myself craving protein in the late morning when I'm at work.

Really, really glad I took the plunge. I feel better than I have in years already.

I could definitely see doing Classic after I'm done with Lean.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished week 1 (lean program)!

I feel really good, especially after the Kenpo X program today. I'll probably follow the recommendation to replace Cardio X (which was relatively easy) with Kenpo, since one of my main goals is to drop some weight. My favorites: Kenpo X, Yoga X. Hardest: Legs & Back with Ab Ripper X.

Can anyone recommend a good protein bar? I thought there was a recommendation in the OP, but I can't find it. I find myself craving protein in the late morning when I'm at work.

Really, really glad I took the plunge. I feel better than I have in years already.

I could definitely see doing Classic after I'm done with Lean.

Clif's Builder bar (chocolate mint) is awesome, although very high in carbs and sugar. Pure Protein bars are also great, but they use sugar alcohols in replacement.

By "normal" low carb diet standards, even the first phase of P90X isn't particularly low carb. Your average low carb diet doesn't usually go past 50g of carbs a day and is usually MUCH higher in fat. That said, if it works (and it does), there's really no point in getting obsessed about it.

Going to get back to the weights this week. I REALLY hope my back is ready for it. =/

vatstep

Man, it's crazy how much stronger my core feels after only a week of Ab Ripper X. I can do 25 reps of most of the moves without much issue now, just need to pause for a few seconds halfway on a few of them. V-Up Roll-Ups are the most difficult move for me by far, though... 25 of those takes a while!

I'm bad, though, I kind of had two cheat meals this weekend compared to my usual one. I'll just eat light tomorrow and make sure to really kill it during Plyometrics.

Man, it's crazy how much stronger my core feels after only a week of Ab Ripper X. I can do 25 reps of most of the moves without much issue now, just need to pause for a few seconds halfway on a few of them. V-Up Roll-Ups are the most difficult move for me by far, though... 25 of those takes a while!

I'm bad, though, I kind of had two cheat meals this weekend compared to my usual one. I'll just eat light tomorrow and make sure to really kill it during Plyometrics.

I hate you. I need break in between for the first half. But out of all the moves Heels to Heaven is the hardest for me, it kills my abs like crazy

It sounds like you are having fun. Awesome man.

LaneDS

Do any of you just do what you can in the span of time it takes for the video to play? I never really considered pausing just to get the number of reps in that you're supposed to do (in cases where they've set a specific number). I wonder which gets better results; I've typically just done as much as I can in the allotted time, usually to the point of exhaustion, then move on to the next move.

Do any of you just do what you can in the span of time it takes for the video to play? I never really considered pausing just to get the number of reps in that you're supposed to do (in cases where they've set a specific number). I wonder which gets better results; I've typically just done as much as I can in the allotted time, usually to the point of exhaustion, then move on to the next move.

I don't have a good answer. My preference is to follow them as much as I can with it's cardio-based. But when it's resistance based, I usually take breaks as needed

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I do the former; I only pause if I'm really out of breath and unable to continue for minutes; I like to keep my heart rate up, at least on the exercises when I know my max reps won't match the video's.

FOOTE

Welp. I have to hit the reset button. I've missed the last three days, and will miss the rest of the week due to some things happening with the family. Sucks bigtime. I've been wanting to change my diet anyway so maybe it's not too bad. Going to try to give it another go starting Sunday. Right now all I really have time for is about a mile and 1/2 on the treadmill before I get back to the family.

You're doing it right. When Tony says to hit the pause button if you need to, what he's saying is to hit the pause button if you're absolutely toast and need to catch your breath. If they are doing 30 pushups and you can on do 10 or 15, that's great. Write it down, take a sip of water, and do a bit of ballistic stretching until they are done. Eventually you WILL catch up to them. Maybe not the first run though the 90 days, but one day you'll be able to match them on most of the moves.

Tattooth

My pull-up bar was finally delivered, can't wait to try it tonight. It doubles as a push up thingie, and what a difference it makes, my wrists used to get so sore when doing push ups.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My pull-up bar was finally delivered, can't wait to try it tonight. It doubles as a push up thingie, and what a difference it makes, my wrists used to get so sore when doing push ups.
Mine is technically supposed to be used this way as well, but I'm not sure I understand it.

Using handles/a bar for pushups has the effect of making them more difficult/intense, right?

edit: Trying out the Lean1 to use as a breakfast or lunch replacement some days. Good reviews, stats and pretty reasonable price and vanilla raspberry sounds tasty to me :p I'll let you guys know how it is!

Top Bottom