• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm still playing with Shakeology. Definitely fulfilling. Thick, and lacking in taste by itself. I'm going to try with bananas soon. But check out the nutritional value when you can, it packs a bunch.
It's true, it's got the best mix of nutrients and calorie value of any product I've seen, which sort of explains the price. While I'm not really convinced it's worth that much per month, it doesn't really have any competition, there's nothing really equivalent to compare it to.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
They are pricey but for a full set of traditional dumbbells you will end up paying more than that. Hell, I just bought two 40 lbs and it was $100.

Yeah, I'm looking now and you (and everyone else) are right. I think I'll make the leap. Any thoughts on powerblock vs the bowflex? Seem similarly priced.

It's true, it's got the best mix of nutrients and calorie value of any product I've seen, which sort of explains the price. While I'm not really convinced it's worth that much per month, it doesn't really have any competition, there's nothing really equivalent to compare it to.

I will say after blending it with milk, the chocolate flavor looks like literally shit. And I could think of was someone's tag "hot, creamy shit"

But hey this is what got me over the hump and opened my wallet. $119 per month comes to like $4 a day, which is cheaper than a regular breakfast + coffee. But fuck man if you find a cheaper alternative do share!

Yeah, I'm looking now and you (and everyone else) are right. I think I'll make the leap. Any thoughts on powerblock vs the bowflex? Seem similarly priced.

Looks like they are both rated the same on Amazon (4.5 stars). I haven't used either but I like design of the Bowflex better.

If you do go with the adjustable weights look into getting a pair of pushup stands since you won't have the traditional dumbbells to use in their place.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I will say after blending it with milk, the chocolate flavor looks like literally shit. And I could think of was someone's tag "hot, creamy shit"

But hey this is what got me over the hump and opened my wallet. $119 per month comes to like $4 a day, which is cheaper than a regular breakfast + coffee. But fuck man if you find a cheaper alternative do share!

Well this is what I'm trying out (should be here tomorrow): http://www.amazon.com/Nutrition-53-Lean-Vanilla-1-7/dp/B001IZZIO4 I'll give a full review after trying it. A 200-calorie serving is 2 scoops, so I may sometimes try 1.5 scoops to extend the life of the tub a little bit. Even if it were two tubs per month though, that's roughly $60, or half as much per month. I'm trying Vanilla Raspberry which really appeals to me for some reason; Cookies and Cream sounds good too. It's not as nutritionally complete as Shakeology but it's got good ingredients (no soy) and very solid reviews, and is supposed to be good hunger control with hoodia.

Just use a protein shake. 50 bux for 5 lbs.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
so uh.....

farting a lot lately while eating right and exercising. What's the deal there?

Sometimes me and the girl exercise together, but honestly I'd rather exercise alone, because I get inspired to let out some scary loud farts pretty much every.single.workout.

Seems to happen when I'm eating right and exercising. Am i dying?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
so uh.....

Sometimes me and the girl exercise together, but honestly I'd rather exercise alone, because I get inspired to let out some scary loud farts pretty much every.single.workout.

KuGsj.gif

I'm assuming you changed your diet pretty significantly before starting, right? It's likely nothing to be concerned about.

D23

so uh.....

lol its the protein

If you have a little cash to spend, I would recommend adjustable dumbbells like the Bowflex SelectTech (which I have). Mine have a maximum of 50 pounds each and they are adjustable by 2.5 increments. So you can set it to 10 pounds, 12.5 pounds, 15 pounds, etc. Saves a lot of space compared to a giant rack of dumbbells, plus you get finer control over weights.

O8Wij.jpg

They're expensive but are a good investment IMO. And even if you want to get rid of them later, they should be easy to sell on Craigslist. You can check your local Craigslist and pick up an used set to save some cash
Have these and can vouch 100%. Think I spent $400 (normal price on amazon I think), but it was the best $400 I've ever spent. It helps A LOT, since I literally use every weight from 5lbs (weighted circles) to 50lbs (lawn mowers).

commish

Have these and can vouch 100%. Think I spent $400 (normal price on amazon I think), but it was the best $400 I've ever spent. It helps A LOT, since I literally use every weight from 5lbs (weighted circles) to 50lbs (lawn mowers).

Did you consider the powerblocks when you were looking?

I need to find a store that sells these so I can test in person.

commish

I've seen power block at Sports Authority.

Just found a SA on my way home, gonna stop by. Already ordered my mat, yoga blocks and pull up bar and P90X set. Hopefully SA will have both so I can just leave with the one that fits me best.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Hawkian said:
That reminds me, I should still call Black Mountain and get the free extra-heavy band...
I called and got mine; it's just as high quality as the others and it came in like two days. When you call, the "catch" is that they want you to write an honest review of the product on the site you ordered from. Obviously it's worth it; just a heads-up. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I called and got mine; it's just as high quality as the others and it came in like two days. When you call, the "catch" is that they want you to write an honest review of the product on the site you ordered from. Obviously it's worth it; just a heads-up. :)
I'd be happy to do that (Amazon anyway :p), I'm honestly thrilled with the value of the set. I hope too much time hasn't passed since I ordered to get it- it's been just over two months.

Did you consider the powerblocks when you were looking?

I need to find a store that sells these so I can test in person.

Never even saw them. Looking at them now though, they definitely would have been considered.

And if anyone plans on ordering dumb bells online, find someone with Amazon Prime, and order it that way. The free 2 day shipping saved me over $100, since shipping 100+ lbs isn't cheap

RiZ III

If it wasn't for Gaf, I would've thought this whole thing is a scam, but seeing you guys actually vouching for it I'm going to give it a go. I go to the gym somewhat regularly, but I don't think I could ever get super cut by myself. Ordered all the stuff off of Amazon just now. Pretty pumped!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Welcome, and same exact attitude brought me here. Course I had seen the infomercials 100 times, but this thread (actually its predecessor) is the only thing that caused me to take it the least bit seriously. It is the real deal, though.

KingGondo

Banned
If it wasn't for Gaf, I would've thought this whole thing is a scam, but seeing you guys actually vouching for it I'm going to give it a go. I go to the gym somewhat regularly, but I don't think I could ever get super cut by myself. Ordered all the stuff off of Amazon just now. Pretty pumped!
I was in the same boat as you 10 days ago... Now I'm starting my second week and loving it so far.

Good luck!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've seen power block at Sports Authority.

I bought mine at Sport Chalet. It's like the Selecttech Dumbells except not crummy. The Selecttechs are huge even if you choose a very small weight, but the Powerblocks are quite small at almost all weights you'd use in P90X.

Also, lol@scam talk. It's diet and exercise. How would it be a scam?

Well some people at Beachbody can be culty and their infomercials really just show drastic results and "90 days!"

And of course when more people swear by it I get even more suspicious

It's easy to be suspicious of any product you see via an infomercial, but I get what Angry Grimace is saying. It's fitness. Pure and simple.

On that subject, I do love some of the infomercials out there. One I saw recently was some meat head and a pull up bar and how he got so huge from it. Then they said the bar could double as a curling bar! All 5lbs of it!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well some people at Beachbody can be culty and their infomercials really just show drastic results and "90 days!"

And of course when more people swear by it I get even more suspicious

Honestly, there's nothing weird about it. It's just a workout plan/video that's harder than the kind of shit you'd get in a typical workout video. The only really unique thing about it is that it really upped the kind of difficulty people expected out of these type of things. And when you increase the intensity, you're going to get better results.

Also, lol@scam talk. It's diet and exercise. How would it be a scam?
You've seriously never seen all the other fitness related stuff advertised via infomercials? 5 MINUTES A DAY TURNED ME FROM PUNY TO BRAWNY. Just 10 minutes on the ab blaster will give you abs like these!

I could name 10 different routines / products advertised that way which flat out don't work. Especially the ones which show insanely impressive before / after photos... so yeah, it's really easy to be sceptical.

Edit - Holy shitbadgers at the 50 rep 4 medicine ball pushups.

It's easy to be suspicious of any product you see via an infomercial, but I get what Angry Grimace is saying. It's fitness. Pure and simple.

On that subject, I do love some of the infomercials out there. One I saw recently was some meat head and a pull up bar and how he got so huge from it. Then they said the bar could double as a curling bar! All 5lbs of it!

Seen that commercial a lot.

"Hi I'm Chuck Liddel, and I get jacked using The JackRack!"

It has all the makings of a cash-in that just takes advantage of the mindset of desperate people. Celebrity endorsement, 'roided up meatheads, and a "get jacked quick and easy" mentality.

Angry Grimace

You've seriously never seen all the other fitness related stuff advertised via infomercials? 5 MINUTES A DAY TURNED ME FROM PUNY TO BRAWNY. Just 10 minutes on the ab blaster will give you abs like these!

I could name 10 different routines / products advertised that way which flat out don't work. Especially the ones which show insanely impressive before / after photos... so yeah, it's really easy to be sceptical.

Edit - Holy shitbadgers at the 50 rep 4 medicine ball pushups.

Those ones are selling objects and besides, just hitting up P90X on wikipedia pretty much clues you in its just a workout routing, as do the informercials really.

I think you're reading too much into the statement. I'd never look up any of the products I saw on an infomercial because I'd naturally assume they wouldn't work, as would I of a P90 / X infomercia. Not that I'd ever seen that one, but I had seen their 10 minute trainer advert... which I also assumed probably wouldn't work.

Besides that of course, P90X is clearly aimed at trying to get you to buy their recovery drink, supplements and bands. ;)

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
The lady who lives below my apartment came up and yelled at me for jumping around during Plyo =/

Luckily after next week, I can do P90X while everybody's at work

Angry Grimace

I'd like to reiterate how much I hate Dominic for his showboating during Plyometrics.

In November 2011, I took the plunge and ordered P90. Haven't exercised in years, and becoming increasingly overweight, I needed help and directions. I started off slow, could do at best 7 push ups, 0 chair dips, and maybe 5 squats. So now, it's what I have been through

P90 Day 1

P90 was tough, and eventually I got used to it and began to wonder whether or not I could do the unthinkable and impossible P90X. I asked a lot of questions on here, and finally I took a chance at myself. For once in my life I too wanted to feel strong, comfortable, healthy, maybe even sexy. I did P90 for about 85 days and jumped straight into P90X

P90X Day 1

3ZYJM.png

P90X Day 30

cx8tS.png

P90X Day 60

3Xz30.png

Finally, just now I finished my last workout, the 90th one, the infamous yoga. I can proudly say I never missed a workout (with some x-stretch recovery days), and in good faith I followed the diet the best I could with no cheat days, only honest mistakes.

Day 90

VWRTL.png

I will be honest, I really was hoping for more abs, and the pictures minimize the progress I have made on my biceps. But still, I most likely lost somewhere around 45 to 50 lbs when I first started P90. I can wear size 30 and below jeans again. My muscles are lean now despite my best effort to increase the weights during the resistance days. But it might just be my body, and the way I look at it, it's also the beginning.

P90X is great as you all know, especially for that 90 days. As you all also know, 90 days really is more of a fictional - it points to a lifestyle and the beginning of change. And putting vanity aside of outside appearance, I feel far greater, far more vitality, I can now do yoga, touch the bottom of my feet during the hamstring stretch, etc.

I am a different person now than I was, and I want more. So I am going to start P90X2 this weekend, give myself a couple of days off, then it starts all over again. I want to see how strong I can be, how flexible I can be, how balancing I can be, and how sexy I can look :D

FOOTE

In November 2011, I took the plunge and ordered P90. Haven't exercised in years, and becoming increasingly overweight, I needed help and directions. I started off slow, could do at best 7 push ups, 0 chair dips, and maybe 5 squats. So now, it's what I have been through

P90 Day 1

http://i.imgur.com/FiyoX.jpg[/MG][/URL]

P90 was tough, and eventually I got used to it and began to wonder whether or not I could do the unthinkable and impossible P90X. I asked a lot of questions on here, and finally I took a chance at myself. For once in my life I too wanted to feel strong, comfortable, healthy, maybe even sexy. I did P90 for about 85 days and jumped straight into P90X

P90X Day 1

[URL=http://imgur.com/ovnnu][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ovnnu.png[IG][/URL]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3ZYJM.png[/IG]

P90X Day 30

[URL=http://imgur.com/22o9W][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/22o9W.png[/IG][/URL]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cx8tS.png[/IG]

P90X Day 60

[URL=http://imgur.com/nWNLz][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/nWNLz.png[/IG][/URL]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3Xz30.png[/IG]

Finally, just now I finished my last workout, the 90th one, the infamous yoga. I can proudly say I never missed a workout (with some x-stretch recovery days), and in good faith I followed the diet the best I could with no cheat days, only honest mistakes.

Day 90

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VWRTL.png[/IM]

[URL=http://imgur.com/hQgNr][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/hQgNr.png[/IG][/URL]

[URL=http://imgur.com/UQnJs][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/UQnJs.png[/IG][/URL]

I will be honest, I really was hoping for more abs, and the pictures minimize the progress I have made on my biceps. But still, I most likely lost somewhere around 45 to 50 lbs when I first started P90. I can wear size 30 and below jeans again. My muscles are lean now despite my best effort to increase the weights during the resistance days. But it might just be my body, and the way I look at it, it's also the beginning.

P90X is great as you all know, especially for that 90 days. As you all also know, 90 days really is more of a fictional - it points to a lifestyle and the beginning of change. And putting vanity aside of outside appearance, I feel far greater, far more vitality, I can now do yoga, touch the bottom of my feet during the hamstring stretch, etc.

I am a different person now than I was, and I want more. So I am going to start P90X2 this weekend, give myself a couple of days off, then it starts all over again. I want to see how strong I can be, how flexible I can be, how balancing I can be, and how sexy I can look :D[/QUOTE]
Great job man. You definitely made real progress. I guarantee that if you keep at it you will get the body you desire.

If you've got particularly noisy flooring then landing on your toes will only help a little anyway. The real answer is mats, but that can get pricey.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My Lean1 is here and I have had no breakfast- Gonna try a half-shake since it's close to lunchtime, will report back!

deviant1

I wanted to get those Bowflex Selecttech dumbbells, but after checking them out in a store I think I'm gonna get the Powerblock 5.0 set.

My main gripe with the bowflex are the size, those things are HUGE no matter what weight you're using. Also, after reading many reviews of the plastic weight retainers breaking easily and than seeing the both of the dumbbells in the store being busted as well, I opted to not get them.

Top Bottom