• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bear enjoying feast in kitchen while homeowners slept, later put down

Kraftwerk

c3eedea984748ce1029e98c156263d6ce115fe87c90c0c45b0df70925c3820ee_3994146.jpg

A male bear that had grown accustomed to eating human food was tracked and put down on Tuesday by wildlife management officials after it was caught on camera ransacking a Colorado Springs home for six hours.

Homeowner Chris O’Dubhraic was sleeping during the nighttime invasion which was captured on his home security cameras.

It was seen in O’Dubhraic’s kitchen, standing on its hind legs, prying the refrigerator door open and going to town on its contents. It then moves on to the pantry and kitchen drawers. O’Dubrhaic said the bear even tore out the kitchen trash compactor.

In previous encounters, the bear had been spotted eating ice cream and M&Ms that it had swiped from another home.

“This bear was so fat from eating human food it couldn’t climb a tree,” Vogrin told the Gazette. “So it made a bed under a tree.”

Sadly...the fat bear was put down :(

R.I.P Fat Bear

Full Article

Youtube Clip

Fuchsdh

Why'd they have to put the poor bear down? Fuck :(

Vogrin added that according to interviews with neighbours, the bear had been spotted rummaging through trash cans up to four years ago. He believes the home invasion and subsequent euthanizing of the bear could have been avoided if they were alerted of the bear’s behaviour back then.

“We could have scared it back in the woods and taught it that humans are to be feared and homes avoided,” he said. “Instead it learned humans are not to be feared and homes are a source of food.”

I can understand the position. If it's learned that it can just break into people's houses and ransack them it would only be a matter of time before it led to a fatal encounter.

commedieu

Banned
Slept through a bear ransacking your kitchen.

L. what's the point of all this security... if a literal bear can break in and eat your lunch.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I feel bad for the bear they should've just hooked it up with some leftovers from restaurants...

RinsFury

I think they said it became accustomed to human food. Might be dangerous if it continually wandered into human area's. Imagine walking in on him. Not fun.

Couldn't they just tranq it and drop it off in the wilderness hundreds of miles away?

Nepenthe

Wild predators that are too used to human contact constitute a public safety concern, hence why poor Yogi was put down. It would've been nicer to probably see him in a proper wildlife cener or something, but these places also tend to not have a lot of room.

So yeah, don't feed the bears.

Couldn't they just tranq it and drop it off in the wilderness hundreds of miles away?
He would have walked 500 miles, and he would walk 500 more just to be the bear who walked 500 miles to open your fridge door

Wild predators that are too used to human contact constitute a public safety concern, hence why poor Yogi was put down. It would've been nicer to probably see him in a proper wildlife cener or something, but these places also tend to not have a lot of room.

So yeah, don't feed the bears.

Bring him to the zoo or circus and feed him burgers.

.JayZii

Banned
Wildlife centers were probably full and it would have just made its way back to people's houses if it were dropped off in the wilderness somewhere. Clearing out people's kitchens is way easier than hunting, especially for an obese bear. You can't just have bears that are known to break into people's houses wandering towns freely.

Poppy

not that this is specifically the situation that calls for this reminder but please dont feed or otherwise mess with wild animals, people. they aren't pets

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Poor bear. Not its fault at all.

At least it got one hell of a last meal, I guess.

Why'd they have to put the poor bear down? Fuck :(

Are you serious? It became accustomed to getting in close proximity with humans, even seeking out homes. It clearly had no fear of approaching the home or smelling humans. Once it gets used to that, it becomes a huge danger for everyone.

What if someone was in the kitchen when the bear came in? Would the bear run away or attack?

Maybe they could have taken the bear to a zoo or animal sanctuary, but it's clear that this animal was unfit for the wild now.

In previous encounters, the bear had been spotted eating ice cream and M&Ms that it had swiped from another home.

“This bear was so fat from eating human food it couldn’t climb a tree,” Vogrin told the Gazette. “So it made a bed under a tree.”

Truly the most American bear.

RinsFury

I hear the arguments about why they did what they did, but still makes me sad that the bear ended up with a bullet in his head just for grabbing a late night snack. RIP bear.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I understand why they put it down too, but I admit this one makes me really sad with the others. I'm just imagining this bear entering the home, being happy he found a delicious supply of food and gouging down not knowing of course that this is wrong in our society but just enjoying the meal, being real happy and full and then being killed for it.

It's saddening, but I do understand the reverse side of this is this could go a lot worse if the bear continued doing this as it likely would as it was learning that this is a good way to get delicious food, which could of lead to some real tragedies down the line.

Patrick S.

Banned
Holy crap, what "human food" had made him so fat? It's unnerving to see what "human food" does to the body of what is normally a lean, mean, athletic predator.

Holy crap, what "human food" had made him so fat? It's unnerving to see what "human food" does to the body of what is normally a lean, mean, athletic predator.

It's not just the type of food, but the amount the bear was consuming. Same is true for humans. You can eat plenty of junk and be pretty lean, you just have to limit consumption/calories.

soldat7

I can understand the position. If it's learned that it can just break into people's houses and ransack them it would only be a matter of time before it led to a fatal encounter.

Then put him in a zoo? I see no reason to "euthanize" him.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I mean, keep in mind this bear was literally eating all of the food he could find in the kitchen, ate everything out of the fridge, the pantries, the garbage, etc.

Patrick S.

Banned
It's not just the type of food, but the amount the bear was consuming. Same is true for humans. You can eat plenty of junk and be pretty lean, you just have to limit consumption/calories.

I wonder about the amount of food he was able to get out of people's trashcans. My "bio" trashcan usually is filled with eggshells, some chicken bones, scraps of salad, coffee filters... stuff like that. Nothing that could feed a bear, let alone make it fat.

Patrick S.

Banned
I mean, keep in mind this bear was literally eating all of the food he could find in the kitchen, ate everything out of the fridge, the pantries, the garbage, etc.

Was it known how many food runs into people's homes this particular bear had managed to make?

To top it off, the bear is no longer working for his food and expending energy to get it.

Top Bottom