• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

mcfrank

Has anyone seen Lost Abbey Red Poppy around them recently? I heard it was mid-winter release and a liquor store about 50 miles from me said they have it in as of this afternoon, but I have not seen a peep out of The Lost Abbey that they bottled or shipped it.

Cr0wn0

Has anyone seen Lost Abbey Red Poppy around them recently? I heard it was mid-winter release and a liquor store about 50 miles from me said they have it in as of this afternoon, but I have not seen a peep out of The Lost Abbey that they bottled or shipped it.

I know they bottled it about 3 weeks ago but other then that I haven't heard anything. I haven't seen any of it around here yet either. Did the guy say how much it was? I thought it was supposed to be around 20$ this year for a 12oz bottle.

mcfrank

I know they bottled it about 3 weeks ago but other then that I haven't heard anything. I haven't seen any of it around here yet either. Did the guy say how much it was? I thought it was supposed to be around 20$ this year for a 12oz bottle.

Ouch that is pretty high. I may still track down one bottle.

PG2G

I tried Red Poppy a couple weeks ago but I forget where I got it from :/ Guess it could have been a 2012 though

Cr0wn0

I picked up a few bottles of La Folie 2013 today. Absolutely love this stuff. Someone told me today that NB is going to try and make it a year around beer? Anyone heard anything about that?

kodt

Banned
Picked up Firestone Walker Sucaba 2013 to enjoy tonight. Very excited to finally get around to trying it. Also picked up a couple of bottles of Deschutes Hop Henge which I have had before but it was restocked at my bottle shop. I love beer!

Man there was a bottle of Sucaba just down the street from me, but I didn't feel like going out and thought I would pick it up today on the way home from work. Of course it sold out before then. Might go on a hunt this weekend.

I'm hoping to find a bottle of Barrel Aged Bigfoot as well, then I can do a little barleywine tasting, just picked up a Three Floyds Behemoth last week.

HiResDes

Has anyone gotten their hands on this?

tumblr_m8wx18OhLC1qd0jy3.jpg

...My absolute favorite style of beer too, I need this

Picked up a Saison Dupont and St Bernadus Abt 12 at my local homebrew store today along with some being supplies. Excited for both but given it's summer here and I've been getting into sour and funky beers I'm going to try the saison soon.

Heading down to San Diego this weekend to hit up a few breweries. Green Flash, Alesmith, Lost Abbey, and (obviously) Stone are on the list. May hit up a few others if time allows.

Go to Societe. Even if you have to eliminate another brewery on that list.

They were good when I stopped there during SDBW... have they gotten better?

I'm having slight rage over here. I have visitors this weekend and it means I'm missing out on multiple beer events because there's no way I can take them or leave them at home without me hearing about it till they die. *shakes fist*

I'll probably just bust open some Clown Shoes since we just got that in the area. Haven't tried it before... should be fun.

PG2G

Red Poppy showed up at Stearn's in Long Beach today, $17. That means it might have also made it to Number One in Redondo Beach (same manager).

HiResDes

I just bought the worst beer I've ever had since Keystone, but I paid $4.50 for a pint of it...

363503223143-CHI467.jpg

...Stay far far away from this.

VALIS

Lagunitas Sucks is quite good. Major craft beer bottle shop near me mentions they got some in today and rumor has it it's the last shipment of the year. So stock up if ya like it. I think I have three more on the shelves.

dekline

I don't like Rogue, but that Juniper Pale Ale is legit.

I thought the hazelnut brown nectar was delicious.

I'm skipping the rogue tonight in favor of the gulden draak. It's fantastic. I always get the feeling that I'll be disappointed when I spend $20+ on a four pack (or any beer really) but the draak is worth it.

mcfrank

Red Poppy showed up at Stearn's in Long Beach today, $17. That means it might have also made it to Number One in Redondo Beach (same manager).

17, ouch. I have a friend who lives in Long Beach swinging by, but $17 for 12 oz is a tough ask.

VALIS

I thought the hazelnut brown nectar was delicious.

I'm skipping the rogue tonight in favor of the gulden draak. It's fantastic. I always get the feeling that I'll be disappointed when I spend $20+ on a four pack (or any beer really) but the draak is worth it.

The Draak is awesome. All Belgian Strong Ales are awesome, Piraat, Duvel, etc. I am very far from a lightweight, but a 6 pack of any of those will leave me babbling.

If you have any, try some chocolate with the Gulden Draak.

edit: Currently drinking a Cigar City Humidor Series Double American Black Ale. 1.) They need to make the title of that beer longer, not enough words. 2.) Don't really care for it. Very spicy and woody, like a Stone 12-12-12. I admire the craft, don't love the taste.

Yes Boss!

The Bruery's Sour in the Rye has been showing up lately, any thoughts? Is it worth trying?

Not sure, but I just happened to see it today at my local store here in maryland (I'm originally from orange county). It was behind the counter and upwards of $20+ so I'm not sure if I
l'll be trying it anytime soon. My limit on 750s is usually about $12.

Tried a Lagunitas' Wilco Foxtrot Tango tonight. It was rather good. Sort of reminded me of Brown Shugga, without the "shugga." Simultaneously hoppy and malty. Different, but good.

I'll have to seek out Duvel now. Pretty sure I've seen it around.(
The Draak is awesome. All Belgian Strong Ales are awesome, Piraat, Duvel, etc.
If you spot a Kwak around the traps, give it a go. It's not exactly the same as a Draak or Duvel (I'd probably add Gouden Carolus and Delerium Tremens to the list as easily recommended) and has an orangey-medicinal taste, but the first time I drank it I fell in love.

mcfrank

The Bruery's Sour in the Rye has been showing up lately, any thoughts? Is it worth trying?

They would not sell me a glass when I was at their tap room since I am not a member of their society. I asked how do I become a member and they said memberships are sold out. So, literally they would not take my money in exchange for beer. Kind of annoying.

I picked up a few bottles of La Folie 2013 today. Absolutely love this stuff. Someone told me today that NB is going to try and make it a year around beer? Anyone heard anything about that?

It is year round at the brewery. They moved it from the funky beer taps over to the main beer taps after they discontinued Belgo (which saddens me greatly).

PG2G

They would not sell me a glass when I was at their tap room since I am not a member of their society. I asked how do I become a member and they said memberships are sold out. So, literally they would not take my money in exchange for beer. Kind of annoying.

I think it is the SitR Peach that was Reserve Society only, I could be wrong though,

But yeah, there is a bunch of Reserve Society stuff, memberships tend to go on sale at the end of the year for upwards of $300+. I joined the Preservation Society, which gives me 3 beers a quarter (one spirit barrel aged, one wine barrel aged sour, one experimental) with only a quarterly commitment.

Don't know how long I'll keep it up though, haven't been too impressed with The Bruery. Kind of eager to try some of their highly regarded beers like Black Tuesday though.

Top Bottom