• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Sour in the Rye is acetic as hell. Meh.

Black Tuesday is a syrupy mess. Flavor is pretty good but the sweetness is out of control. Dark Lord shits on Black Tuesday. Dark Lord is sweet, but it handles itself.

Finally got my beer bread made!

bo0Cr9L.jpg

We have:
Moose Drool + Sharp cheddar
Lagunitas Maximus + Gorgonzola
Blue Blood Stout + Aged Gouda
Summit Maibock + Gruyere

These are going to serve as sustenance while I pour at Omaha's extreme beerfest for 5 hours. Wish me luck!

mcfrank

I think it is the SitR Peach that was Reserve Society only, I could be wrong though,

But yeah, there is a bunch of Reserve Society stuff, memberships tend to go on sale at the end of the year for upwards of $300+. I joined the Preservation Society, which gives me 3 beers a quarter (one spirit barrel aged, one wine barrel aged sour, one experimental) with only a quarterly commitment.

Don't know how long I'll keep it up though, haven't been too impressed with The Bruery. Kind of eager to try some of their highly regarded beers like Black Tuesday though.

Agree completely about not being that impressed by them. Most of the beers of theirs that I have tried are very one note. They seem to want to put out way too many beers/variants without taking the time to get them right. If you like the one note of a particular beer it is fine (as I did with the Portola Casa de Lima and Ichigo Highway) but there is not a lot going on beneath the surface.

PG2G

Agree completely about not being that impressed by them. Most of the beers of theirs that I have tried are very one note. They seem to want to put out way too many beers/variants without taking the time to get them right. If you like the one note of a particular beer it is fine (as I did with the Portola Casa de Lima and Ichigo Highway) but there is not a lot going on beneath the surface.

Yeah, and for ridiculous prices :O Easily one of the most overhyped breweries

Adding the untappd folks, my account is mathism

We have:
Summit Maibock + Gruyere

These are going to serve as sustenance while I pour at Omaha's extreme beerfest for 5 hours. Wish me luck!

All the luck in the world won't be better than the combination of fresh baked beer bread and a beerfest. Have fun!

Cr0wn0

http://blogs.denverpost.com/beer/2013/02/04/new-belgium-sours/8259/

That is probably the article you are talking about. Yes, La Folie is fantastic, though I have not seen any bottles near me just a few taps.

Yah that must be it, I'm extremely fortunate that we have a great bar here that does growler fills of la folie for 16$ so I've been able to get it almost anytime I want.

The Bruery is so tough for me because I really like that they try new things but almost everything I have tasted is just one level below being awesome. With the exception of Ichigo highway ( It's basically liquid plastic that had a hint of strawberry flavor ) which I thought was absolutely horrid, everything else I've had is just ALMOST there, its just always missing something for me.

FloatOn

We have:
Summit Maibock + Gruyere

Lagunitas Maximus is probably my favorite IPA. God damn I wish I could taste that bread. I'm sure it'll do well.

I've had bigfoot once and holy shit.

Really intense flavor. Definitely a sipper.

edit:

I could only find Duvel in a gift pack.

But the glass is awesome so who cares. I also picked up some stouts that caught my eye.

My fridge is packed atm
Good to know. The Houblon is the same way, just kinda nursing it, very complex. It's a Tripel IPA? It certainly tastes like a hybrid of fhe two. Can't say I've ever tasted anything like this

Results:

IPA blue cheese bread = amazing

others, really good, but IPA is best.
recipe:

Ingredients:
Nonstick spray
8 ounces all-purpose flour
4 ounces whole-wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
4 1/2 ounces cheese (blue)
12 ounces cold beer (IPA)

Directions:
Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat the inside of a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with the nonstick spray and set aside.

Whisk together the all-purpose flour, wheat flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add in the cheese and stir in the beer just to combine. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds, if using.

Bake on the middle rack of the oven until the bread reaches an internal temperature of 210 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 45 to 55 minutes.

Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer the loaf to a cooling rack for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving.

hermit7

Picked up two 750 ml, one of DuPont Saison
SaisonDupont-SaisonDupont-75cl_1.jpg
which I am exploring the style of.

The second a 750 ml of La Fin Du Monde.
images

Haven't tried either yet today been writing a research paper, but plan on jumping into the Saison tomorrow when I get off work.

dekline

Picked up two 750 ml, one of DuPont Saison

which I am exploring the style of.

The second a 750 ml of La Fin Du Monde.

Haven't tried either yet today been writing a research paper, but plan on jumping into the Saison tomorrow when I get off work.

La Fin Du Monde is delicious

PG2G

Yah that must be it, I'm extremely fortunate that we have a great bar here that does growler fills of la folie for 16$ so I've been able to get it almost anytime I want.

The Bruery is so tough for me because I really like that they try new things but almost everything I have tasted is just one level below being awesome. With the exception of Ichigo highway ( It's basically liquid plastic that had a hint of strawberry flavor ) which I thought was absolutely horrid, everything else I've had is just ALMOST there, its just always missing something for me.

I will say, I had White Oak Sap (BA White Oak) last time I went to their tasting room and thought it was pretty damn incredible.

Probably the only Bruery beer that I would go out of my way to track down.

So I have the option to pick up one of these in the beginning of March. I live in Sweden so they only imported a very limited supply, and it's pretty pricey. I remember liking the regular variant quite a bit, would this be worth picking up?

dekline

So I have the option to pick up one of these in the beginning of March. I live in Sweden so they only imported a very limited supply, and it's pretty pricey. I remember liking the regular variant quite a bit, would this be worth picking up?

I tried Old Rasputin last year when I was in California and it was fantastic. I would love to get my hands on a bottle of the barrel-aged stuff.

Without question.

I tried Old Rasputin last year when I was in California and it was fantastic. I would love to get my hands on a bottle of the barrel-aged stuff.

Dear God, yes, grab this if you can. It's amazing.

Yes undoubtedly

Alright, I'll do my best then. Unfortunately I looked again and there's only three stores that carries it and none of them is near me. Since they haven't started selling it yet I don't know if I can order it to a store near me, so I really hope that I can.

andylsun

Results:

IPA blue cheese bread = amazing

others, really good, but IPA is best.
recipe:

Wow! Made my first ever beer bread with an English ordinary bitter (home brewed) this afternoon. Worked really well and actually tasted more like a scone than bread. Made with baking powder as I didn't have any bread yeast.

Yummy and will be trying IPA and blue cheese.

BumRush

Any NYers able to get their hands on Pliny the Younger, without physically going out of state. Any help would be appreciated!!

Any NYers able to get their hands on Pliny the Younger, without physically going out of state. Any help would be appreciated!!

It's not legally distributed to New York, so probably not. Best bet is to go to Philadelphia (only Eastern state to get RR) and hope to get lucky.

PG2G

Looks like Stone's Enjoy By 4/1/13 is hitting all of the local spots. Not a huge fan of Stone but I have heard pretty good things about the last Enjoy By so I might have to give this one a shot.

Looks like Stone's Enjoy By 4/1/13 is hitting all of the local spots. Not a huge fan of Stone but I have heard pretty good things about the last Enjoy By so I might have to give this one a shot.

2/15/13 was good. I like that they're actively advertising the importance of drinking IPAs fresh.

dekline

Picked up Surly Darkness. Obscene amount of money. In fact the most I've ever spent on a beer.

I'm drinking it now and have no regrets. But I can't help but think that I should have set it away somewhere for a year or two before opening it.

Houblon Chouffe is really nice. It's like a great tripel and an IPA had a baby and you're drinking it.
That's exactly how I'd describe it. Both the Houblon and the Bigfoot took me about half an hour to drink. Really big flavors on both. I'm getting kind of interested in trying out some of the Trappist stuff but man... This is gonna be costly :l

Picked up Surly Darkness. Obscene amount of money. In fact the most I've ever spent on a beer.

I'm drinking it now and have no regrets. But I can't help but think that I should have set it away somewhere for a year or two before opening it.

Pray; do tell! Kinda curious about the Kalamazoo stout too. I might crack open the Bell's Best Brown tonight but man... Wish I had stocked up a few bottles of that Hopslam :(

dekline

Snagged a bottle of Bottleworks XIV at Bottleworks. Cascade made it, its a wild ale aged in port and bourbon barrels. $30 for a 750 ml. Yeah.

Glad I'm not the only one. Have you tried it? Is it worth it?

Pray; do tell! Kinda curious about the Kalamazoo stout too. I might crack open the Bell's Best Brown tonight but man... Wish I had stocked up a few bottles of that Hopslam :(

I haven't tried the Kalamazoo yet but I hear Hopslam is amazing. I might pick it up next.

As for the darkness...A 750ml bottle set me back $30 plus tax.

HiResDes

That's exactly how I'd describe it. Both the Houblon and the Bigfoot took me about half an hour to drink. Really big flavors on both. I'm getting kind of interested in trying out some of the Trappist stuff but man... This is gonna be costly :l

Kalamazoo stout is awesome, the licorice taste is barely present, which is a good thing and somehow it really helps with the balance. One of the most balanced stouts I've had in terms of alcohol presence, chocolate, and a bit of either molasses and or brown sugar. When I don't want to get extremely drunk off of Old Rasputin, I'll resort to the Kalamazoo

...Hopslam is over appreciated. So many of these IPAs throw balance right out of the window.

Glad I'm not the only one. Have you tried it? Is it worth it

I had it on tap at Bottleworks (it's the 14th Anniversary party today -- bottleshop in Seattle) along with Bottleworks XII, an Imperial Wit aged with raspberries. Best beer I've ever had from the Bruery. Wow.

XIV isn't very tart, just a hint of acetic acid along with port and bourbon notes. Really nice. I only bought one bottle, will hang on to it for a special occasion with friends.

Lost Abbey is doing Bottleworks 15 next year, and it sounds like Alpine has a super double IPA for Bottleworks 16.

kodt

Banned

Don't beat yourself up. I mean you can always save beers for special occasions, but I started buying too many and then you just have stock of beers you aren't drinking. Eventually they actually get harder to crack as the older they are the rarer they are and you start thinking about things like "This is worth $$$ in trade value I could get something sweet!" or "This is my last one I have to keep it"... but the point of beer is to drink it.

If I get multiple of something rare, I'll save/age one. But I am going to enjoy one right away!

Top Bottom