• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Easy to get in Brussels. I got a ton of bottles of 12 for 10 Euro each, and some 8's for 8 Euro a piece.
Awesome, thanks. I've only been to Brussels for a few hour stopovers before (saw a cool comic store, the Golden Square and Manneken Pis, and that was pretty much it). Might be pushing it a bit, but do you have any locations of places likely to have it that a tourist would be able to find?

While we're on Brussels and beer, sitting in a cafe in the Golden Square, eating (probably crappy) waffles, I decided to order a beer from their menu. Had never heard of it before, but from the description it talked about apricot tastes. Being someone who'd only ever tried major labels in Australia (VB, Carlton Cold, etc -- in the US comparisons to Bud would be apt) and occasionally ventured out to maybe Stella, which I kind of liked, I wasn't really a beer drinker*. Well, the beer that came was a Chimay Red, and from that moment, beer's been one of my passions.

* Actually, that's not 100% accurate, I had tried a few from smaller brewers but didn't really identify myself as a "beer drinker" at this stage.

dekline

They did a one time release in the states a couple months ago.

Can't believe I missed this. Apparently a few stores less than an hour from me had some in stock :(

How difficult is it buying beer online? It looks like you can find W12 on ebay but for $150+ I want to be sure.

PG2G

Can't believe I missed this. Apparently a few stores less than an hour from me had some in stock :(

How difficult is it buying beer online? It looks like you can find W12 on ebay but for $150+ I want to be sure.

Probably better off ordering it from Belgium, I have read about the following on beer advocate but haven't used them

Etre Gourmet - http://www.bieresgourmet.be/catalog/
Belgium in a Box - http://belgiuminabox.com/shop/

Apparently there is an optimal weight to make the crazy shipping most worth it, so take the opportunity to spend a bit and stock up on stuff like Cantillon in the process.

dekline

Probably better off ordering it from Belgium, I have read about the following on beer advocate but haven't used them

Etre Gourmet - http://www.bieresgourmet.be/catalog/
Belgium in a Box - http://belgiuminabox.com/shop/

Apparently there is an optimal weight to make the crazy shipping most worth it, so take the opportunity to spend a bit and stock up on stuff like Cantillon in the process.

Thanks a lot. Comes out to about 86 usd to ship an 8 pack of W12 to the states which is a lot. I feel that I need to do this just once though.

I'm going to look around more before I order anything.

Could be worse, you could be in Australia where it looks like it costs double what it costs to get stuff shipped to the US.

Still cheaper than eBay.

PG2G

Thanks a lot. Comes out to about 86 usd to ship an 8 pack of W12 to the states which is a lot. I feel that I need to do this just once though.

I'm going to look around more before I order anything.

Pay attention to the weight. The shipping costs change at 9, 18, and 38 pounds. If you aren't near those weights then the shipping cost per bottle is higher than it needs to be.

Seth C

How does one get their hands on Westvleteren 12? Living in the midwestern united states makes it pretty much impossible.

I have a lot of friends in the industry. Some run a local/regional brewery called Country Boy, others own beer bars, etc. I didn't prove any of those but they were shared with me.

The 12 was a little disappointing given the price and reputation. Good, without a doubt, but I wouldn't pay the prices.

Beer Mania in the Ixelles neighborhood is where I bought my Westy 8 and 12 bottles. They also had (very cool looking) empty crates for sale. I also had a bottle at Au Bon Vieux Temps near the Grand Plas.

dekline

Pay attention to the weight. The shipping costs change at 9, 18, and 38 pounds. If you aren't near those weights then the shipping cost per bottle is higher than it needs to be.

I'll have to play around with the selection a bit. Some interesting beers here.

I have a lot of friends in the industry. Some run a local/regional brewery called Country Boy, others own beer bars, etc. I didn't prove any of those but they were shared with me.

The 12 was a little disappointing given the price and reputation. Good, without a doubt, but I wouldn't pay the prices.

It's a bucket list kind of thing for me. I wouldn't feel complete as a beer drinker if I didn't try it at least once.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just picked up the Orval at the LCBO.

Although the taste of the brew is quite different, it has a similar profile to the Westy 12. I think it has the same issue: the carbonation is too strong out of a fresh bottle. It masks the flavor quite a bit. The nose is interesting though...it smells predominantly of overly ripe bananas. There's another familiar smell as well but I can't quite put my finger on it. Not much of that in the taste though...I taste mostly carbonation and hops. I definitely don't like it as much as the Westy. That's mainly to do with the hops though...this one is fairly hoppy and I'm really not much of a hop head.

I have a second bottle...I think I'll try to cellar it for a year or two and see how it does.

edit: clove is what I'm thinking of. Smells mostly of banana and clove. I'm going to let the rest of my serving breathe a bit to concentrate the smells/flavors.

The 12 was very finicky for me. Out of the bottle the smell and flavors were quite muted. As it breathed, over the course of maybe an hour, the smells and taste got a lot better. The dried figs / raisin notes were really coming out and I just couldn't get enough of the smell. A lot of people report that it's a beer that requires 1-2 years of aging before it attains its potential. I'll find out when I open up my second or third bottle.

jcutner

This just came in at the LCBO

8462979418_fe536f07a6_z.jpg

Pours incredibly dark. 16%
Took me about an hour and a half to drink

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Stopped by the liquor store after work yesterday in hopes of buying something. They had one 4-pack of La Fin Du Monde left. <3 Yum.

kodt

Banned
Cracked a Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout on Sunday, and had a Goose Island Baudoinia last night (BCBS aged in Baudonia barrels).

The Baudoinia is very smooth, none of the up front bourbon taste that you get in regular BCBS. Although I do like the bourbon smell/taste, some people are put off by it so they would really enjoy this version. It's a bit sweeter and easier to drink.

Man, I wish Stone would ship their stuff overseas since I constantly hear good things about it, but they seem to think for some reason they're better than everyone else. Seriously, they make an IPA, but don't want to send it overseas?

Any GAFfer interested in perhaps a beer swap for beers which are only locally available? The craft scene is cranking in Australia right now. Some amazing New Zealand breweries too, and we tend to get a lot of their stuff.

Stone is good, but not the best or worth shipping overseas.

That said, I will be making a run over to neighboring Vermont soon for some legendary Hill Farmstead and Heady-Topper, and those are liquid gold.

I really just want those Russian River beers, which can't be found in New England. Actually, they seem hard to find outside of California and Oregon in general.

I have a little bit of a hard time getting to the Russian River beers when local stores stock them. If I really want them I guess I can drive about 1.5 hours to the Russian River brewery. This weekend my friend's same restaraunt will be pouring Pliny The Younger and I'm sure those will go out FAST.

I'll make a proposition to you: Pliny The Younger for Alchemist Heady Topper :)

mcfrank

I have a little bit of a hard time getting to the Russian River beers when local stores stock them. If I really want them I guess I can drive about 1.5 hours to the Russian River brewery. This weekend my friend's same restaraunt will be pouring Pliny The Younger and I'm sure those will go out FAST.

I'll make a proposition to you: Pliny The Younger for Alchemist Heady Topper :)

Pretty sure they do not bottle the Younger, so I do not think you can ship it anywhere.

Pretty sure they do not bottle the Younger, so I do not think you can ship it anywhere.

Younger is keg only, and Russian River is pretty vindictive to establishments if they find out about them doing PtY growler fills of any sort.

PtE for Heady is an extremely fair trade, though.

So it looks like I might be partaking in SF Beer Week this weekend after thinking I wasn't going to make it up there this year. It's gonna wreck my diet. *chuckles* Anyone else up to shenanigans?

Younger is keg only, and Russian River is pretty vindictive to establishments if they find out about them doing PtY growler fills of any sort.

PtE for Heady is an extremely fair trade, though.

There goes that idea then, hah. The restaurant will do growler fills, but I don't want them to risk their rep for doing Pliny The Younger growler fills, especially when there will be a huge line for it.

Interesting. I'm not very knowledgeable about US beers since we don't get a ton out here. Sierra Nevada is probably the best known one, and I do enjoy their stuff quite a bit.

We never see things like Pliny in Australia. What other stuff should I be looking out for in regards to a "best of" (or "well known excellent beers") from the US? I'll drink any style (even braggots, gruits, etc).

Interesting. I'm not very knowledgeable about US beers since we don't get a ton out here. Sierra Nevada is probably the best known one, and I do enjoy their stuff quite a bit.

We never see things like Pliny in Australia. What other stuff should I be looking out for in regards to a "best of" (or "well known excellent beers") from the US? I'll drink any style (even braggots, gruits, etc).

You're going to get a ton of different answers, but I've been consistently drinking the Russian River stuff (Pliny, Consecration, Damnation, Supplication, Redemption, etc.). I also like Rogue, they have some good stuff. Cascade, Deschutes, Dogfish, Lips of Faith series (New Belgium). Nothing too crazy nerdy.

Cool. Pretty sure I've seen Rogue around the place, and had some Dogfish stuff recently (the My Antonia, on tap), so some of them are definitely sending stuff here.

Considered in the past even trying to become an importer for places like Russian River, Stone, but considering they don't even sell in all parts of the US, I feel it'd be a wasted effort.

VALIS

Got in huge orders from both Let's Pour and Halftime today. For a state that supposedly doesn't allow liquor transfer by mail (both Mass and NH), all over these boxes were stamps that say "Alcohol Inside," "Recipient Must Be Over 21," "Do Not Deliver If Recipient is Intoxicated" and a few other warnings, but they were delivered without an issue.

Got a fun haul of Stone 12-12-12 Vertical Epic, various Terrapins including Wake 'n Bake and Moo Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout, Harviestoun Ola Dubh, Mikkeller Beer Hop Breakfast, various Cigar City, Saint Somewhere and Bruery varieties, a bunch of rare Belgians I don't see around here, and so on. Both stores packed the bottles very well, not a single issue.

So, pro tip, if you live in a state that doesn't allow alcohol by mail, try Let's Pour or Halftime.

Cool. Pretty sure I've seen Rogue around the place, and had some Dogfish stuff recently (the My Antonia, on tap), so some of them are definitely sending stuff here.

Considered in the past even trying to become an importer for places like Russian River, Stone, but considering they don't even sell in all parts of the US, I feel it'd be a wasted effort.

Russian River is California, Oregon, Colorado and Philadelphia only. They just pulled out of Washington to focus more on California, so don't expect to see any in Australia unless someone mules it in.

I know you can get Stone legally in Japan, so someone might distribute it to Australia.

matt360

Don't know if that's true. It might be for sale but it would be from someone who isn't actually authorized to sell it, since I don't believe Stone distributes internationally.

That would be worth checking into. There are tons of places to get Stone both in bottles and on tap here in small town Hiroshima. With the Japanese being sticklers for rules and all, I'd find it hard to believe that all of them have acquired their stocks through alternative methods. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Stone is the most readily available American micro here in Japan. It's gotta either be them or Rogue.

KHarvey16

That would be worth checking into. There are tons of places to get Stone both in bottles and on tap here in small town Hiroshima. With the Japanese being sticklers for rules and all, I'd find it hard to believe that all of them have acquired their stocks through alternative methods. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Stone is the most readily available American micro here in Japan. It's gotta either be them or Rogue.

Looks like it can only be the case that they purchased it from a distributor in the states who was breaking the terms of their contract with the brewery by exporting. Stone is actually planning (or was planning) on building a brewery in Europe to get their beer over there in an official capacity.

http://beerpulse.com/2010/11/stone-brewing-ceo-greg-koch-goes-on-the-offensive/

Tankman

Picked up some of the local brews to sip on while studying. Havent really branched out with beer before but I am really enjoying them.

AEqD8xk.jpg

Picked up some of the local brews to sip on while studying. Havent really branched out with beer before but I am really enjoying them.

AEqD8xk.jpg

My wife's family is from Omaha, NE so I've had most of Empyrean's lineup when we go back to visit. Dark Side Porter is pretty good.

The Winter Axis is weird. The way they advertise it, you'd think it would be a winter warmer instead of some weird Belgian-y hybrid amber ale.

GiJoccin

in SF for the first time in my life, toronado's happens to have pliny every morning at 11:30 for beer week, too good of a chance to pass up! pliny the younger here i come

in SF for the first time in my life, toronado's happens to have pliny every morning at 11:30 for beer week, too good of a chance to pass up! pliny the younger here i come

Toronados in Mission or Haight? If you're on Haight, you gotta order some brats/sausages next door from Rosamunde's and have them delivered to Toronados.

GiJoccin

Haight. I had the sausages there the other day. Delicious. So was younger. At el castillito right now with an al pastor burrito I think I did well.

mcfrank

Haven't had Westvleteren, but outside of that I think Allagash are up there with any Belgian brewery and/or monastery, and I worship Belgian beer. I hope they never jump on the trendy IPA train and keep making various Belgian types forever.

I really love their Dubbel, Triple, and White. I was not blown away by Interlude (I liked it a lot, expected more) but I am aging the two other bottles I have to see if it increases the sourness a bit. Curieux is really good. Black is drinkable, but not anywhere near the top of my list. I have a bottle of Fluxus '12 I have not opened yet and at some point I had a bottle of Victor, but for the life of me I can't recall drinking it. I must have already been drunk when raiding my beer closet. So in summary, I love Allagash and will blind buy any of their new beers I see hit the shelf.

TheExodu5

Banned
Bought a bottle of Nostradamus at the LCBO. It's a Belgian strong brown ale.

This is so good. One of the best beers I've had. I'd venture to say it's better than the Westy 12, at least early after bottling. It helps that the carbonation isn't too heavy, so a lot of the flavor comes through. I won't bother with tasting notes since I'm pretty terrible at describing tastes...all I'll say is this is a really well balanced and complex beer.

edit: okay, maybe not as good as the Westy 12. The one thing the Westy 12 had is that as it warmed up, breathed, and as I drank more of it it just kept getting more complex, especially in the nose. I've drank half of the bottle now and the smell and taste have diminished a fair bit. In the end I'd say it made better first impressions than the Westy, and worse last impressions. Still a stellar beer, though.

kodt

Banned
Man I'm an idiot. Founders Backwoods Bastard was readily available at some local liquor stores and I just never bothered to pick it up, thinking I'll get it later. Now it's sold out everywhere.

I'm a beer virgin, 37 years old, never had a beer. Yes really.
I do drink on occasion (whiskey, mixed drinks) but I've never been able to separate the thought of "beer" with the "rotten apple" smell (alcoholic dickhead uncle).

I know this probably sounds stupid but I'd really like some advice on where to start.
My biggest issue is the smell, though I'm sure not all beer smells that way (I hope).
I'm a cheapskate which is why I'm hesitant to just jump in, but I'm willing to spend a bit if I find something I like.

Any advice is appreciated.

kodt

Banned
I do drink on occasion (whiskey, mixed drinks) but I've never been able to separate the thought of "beer" with the "rotten apple" smell (alcoholic dickhead uncle).

I know this probably sounds stupid but I'd really like some advice on where to start.
My biggest issue is the smell, though I'm sure not all beer smells that way (I hope).
I'm a cheapskate which is why I'm hesitant to just jump in, but I'm willing to spend a bit if I find something I like.

So you've never even had a Miller Light or Coors or something basic like that?

I would try these:

Blue Moon - This is a wheat beer, usually beer drinkers move up from your basic Miller to try this and then to better wheat beers. Also try something like: Goose Island 312, Bell's Oberon, Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, Hofbräu Hefeweizen

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - this is a gateway beer into pale ales, and then hoppier beers like IPAs. Like this? Try something like Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Three Floyds Alpha King Pale Ale, Deschutes Red Chair NWPA

New Belgium Fat Tire - This is an Amber Ale, so it's a bit darker, more flavor.

Guinness - a good beginners stout. Like this? Try Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

I think if you like what you taste you can move up to more intense beers. If you go all out and try something too unique at first you may be put off.

VALIS

Man I'm an idiot. Founders Backwoods Bastard was readily available at some local liquor stores and I just never bothered to pick it up, thinking I'll get it later. Now it's sold out everywhere.

Eh, you'll live. Unless you really like scotch ale, or Founders' typical bourbony, oakey flavors. I'd rather drink bourbon than bourbon-flavored beer, and I'd rather not drink bourbon at all, so that's how much I think of Founders in general. But I haven't had their various stouts, and I'd probably like those.

t-ramp

Dang. It's really easy to end up liking beer. I'm a novice, but maybe something like a Sam Adams Boston Lager might be a decent start. Stouts and porters can be awesome too, but I don't know how a good one would go over as a first beer.

Working on the last bottle of a Founders Pale Ale pack myself. Pretty good.

Top Bottom