• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

BeteBlanche6pk.jpeg

Taste tested this at New Season's, really recommend it.

HiResDes

I had three of Bell's Expedition Stouts last week and got pretty toasted, there are some really complex flavors going on, but they all get muted by the alcohol presence, which isn't muted enough to really make the brew quite as enjoyable as it could be....But the beers were cheap and I was showing off a bit, so I downed three of them in a short span anyway and regretted it almost instantly.

Another Tripel fan, YES!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I had three of Bell's Expedition Stouts last week and got pretty toasted, there are some really complex flavors going on, but they all get muted by the alcohol presence, which isn't muted enough to really make the brew quite as enjoyable as it could be....But the beers were cheap and I was showing off a bit, so I downed three of them in a short span anyway and regretted it almost instantly.

One of the best beers I have ever had was a 2004 Expedition Stout I drank in 08.

Edit: I am still waiting on someone to post about drinking one of my beers.

Another Tripel fan, YES!

I'm quite picky about beer but that one was great. I'm a sucker for a clean but complex taste.

SummitAve

Banned
Hmmmmm what kind of distribution then? I manage a liquor store in MN so if your on one of the coasts it may not have made its way here yet.

In other news: We just go the new batch of Surly Pentagram in last week. 21$ a bottle...tempting. I've never had it previously though so I need to stare at the bottle some more before I bite haha.

dekline

Hmmmmm what kind of distribution then? I manage a liquor store in MN so if your on one of the coasts it may not have made its way here yet.

In other news: We just go the new batch of Surly Pentagram in last week. 21$ a bottle...tempting. I've never had it previously though so I need to stare at the bottle some more before I bite haha.

Is this a brand new surly? I love surly and don't hesitate to buy anything from them. I'm a couple hours south of the twin cities so hopefully this makes its way towards me.

SummitAve

Banned
Is this a brand new surly? I love surly and don't hesitate to buy anything from them. I'm a couple hours south of the twin cities so hopefully this makes its way towards me.

Not new, its one of their limited releases.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/surly-pentagram/138119/
New label is a faint green instead of purple.
About Pentagram:
100% Brettanomyces dark beer fermented in stainless and aged in used red wine barrels.
Brettanomyces is a unique yeast strain that produces flavors that would be considered offensive if they were not intentional. Flavors of sour cherry, tobacco, oak and classic Brett barnyard funk balanced by Dark Munich malt chewiness. Enjoy immediately or age at cellar temperature for a couple of years.

I have yet to really explore the world of sours which is why I am hesitant. Barnyard funk sounds interesting though haha. I fucking love just about everything Surly makes. Especially SurlyFest and Surly Wet but those are October seasonals and so far away! :(

Joico

I heard that Enjoy By from Stone is coming my way. Is it worth picking up for 7-8 dollars? I hear it is really good but I am about to buy a 4 pack of Head Hunter IPA.

Any suggestions?

images

I heard that Enjoy By from Stone is coming my way. Is it worth picking up for 7-8 dollars? I hear it is really good but I am about to buy a 4 pack of Head Hunter IPA.

Any suggestions?

images

Enjoy by 2/15/13 was good, not sure if the 4/1/13 version is a different recipe.

Seth C

Where are you from?

I live in Lexington, KY. I get the feeling the guys that own Pazzo's (and Beer Trappe, and Village Idiot) have some pull, since they are always able to get stuff like that, plus they have events like when the master brewer from Stone was all the way out here and did a meet-and-greet there and brought several different years of Vertical Epic kegs with him.

Minus_Me

The reason that it's strange is that you can find Ephemere at almost all grocery or convenience stores in Montreal. I asked a friend and he says he remembers it being on tap at a popular brew pub a while ago. It tastes amazing bottled, so I'd love to have it on tap. Both versions are amazing but I tend to prefer the Cassis one.

Seth C

The reason that it's strange is that you can find Ephemere at almost all grocery or convenience stores in Montreal. I asked a friend and he says he remembers it being on tap at a popular brew pub a while ago. It tastes amazing bottled, so I'd love to have it on tap. Both versions are amazing but I tend to prefer the Cassis one.

Yeah, Pazzo's has also done an Ephemere pint night where you buy a pitcher and get two logo glasses to take home. It was a nice stemmed glass. I love it.

dekline

Not new, its one of their limited releases.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/surly-pentagram/138119/
New label is a faint green instead of purple.
About Pentagram:
100% Brettanomyces dark beer fermented in stainless and aged in used red wine barrels.
Brettanomyces is a unique yeast strain that produces flavors that would be considered offensive if they were not intentional. Flavors of sour cherry, tobacco, oak and classic Brett barnyard funk balanced by Dark Munich malt chewiness. Enjoy immediately or age at cellar temperature for a couple of years.

I have yet to really explore the world of sours which is why I am hesitant. Barnyard funk sounds interesting though haha. I fucking love just about everything Surly makes. Especially SurlyFest and Surly Wet but those are October seasonals and so far away! :(

I looked today. I couldn't find it so I finally asked about it and apparently I wasn't the first. They took my name and number but couldn't guarantee anything. Fingers crossed.

Picked this up on the way out:

If you asked me to choose one beer to call perfect it would be abrasive ale.

So. Damn. Good. And the smell is unreal.

HiResDes

So guys what's the worst rated beer on BeerAdvocate that you absolutely love. I just picked up 21st Amendment's Winter Saison after passing up on it so many times because of lower ratings and I'm pretty much blown away. It's not very faithful to the style, but it has one of the most unique flavor profiles I've had that toys with being peppery, semi-sweet, and crisp all at the same time.

Edit: Also Seth I'm definitely coming.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Let me know if you're ever bored and want to come down to Lexington and have some beer. We have really good beer bars (Chase Tap Room, Beer Trappe, Lexington Beerworks, Arcadium, Marikka's), a few good beer restaurants (Pazzo's and Village Idiot), plus breweries like West 6th and Country Boy.

You mentioned stouts and porters. Don't you get Southern Tier or Founders up in Cincy?

usually hit up Keeneland a couple times a year so thanks for the bar recommendations. ive been going to Winos in Bowling Green a lot lately, so much stuff I cant get in TN

VALIS

So guys what's the worst rated beer on BeerAdvocate that you absolutely love. I just picked up 21st Amendment's Winter Saison after passing up on it so many times because of lower ratings and I'm pretty much blown away. It's not very faithful to the style, but it has one of the most unique flavor profiles I've had that toys with being peppery, semi-sweet, and crisp all at the same time.

Belgian Ales, Strong Ales and Abbeys, Saisons, etc., whether Belgian or US brewed. BA and RB people don't tend to have the greatest appreciation for balance, in my experience. I love palate wrecking IPAs, too, but that's not all there is.

Am I the only one that truly hates reading reviews on BA?

I skip any ASTMO review. I like the reviews on RateBeer better, even though they can often be even more snobbish and cliquish than BA.

BA and RB people don't tend to have the greatest appreciation for balance, in my experience.
I don't even see why balance is something of high importance. If every beer were balanced they'd all be dull. Ever different styles have different balances anyway.

If someone wants to make an IPA that numbs your tongue, or something so malty and cloying it's like drinking caramelised raisins, why can't they? There's probably someone, somewhere who would appreciate that.

VALIS

I don't even see why balance is something of high importance. If every beer were balanced they'd all be dull. Ever different styles have different balances anyway.

If someone wants to make an IPA that numbs your tongue, or something so malty and cloying it's like drinking caramelised raisins, why can't they? There's probably someone, somewhere who would appreciate that.

I don't disagree with your second paragraph, and I like trying all sorts of strong tasting and adventurous beers myself.

But at the same time, why shouldn't balance be as laudable a trait as intensity of flavor? There are a lot of highly rated beers that taste like liquid spice cabinets (thinking of Stone Verticals, various Cigar City brews, some of DFH's more out there experiments), and while I can admire the craft, there is nothing refreshing about them, which I think is a trait beer should always have. Even your crazy strong DIPAs and Imperial IPAs can be very refreshing.

Again, I'm not complaining these beers exist or are enjoyed, but that the craft beer forum hardcores can be too predictable, it's largely about rarity/hype and intensity. Under blind taste tastes, a lot of them would be rating things quite a bit differently.

I don't disagree with your second paragraph, and I like trying all sorts of strong tasting and adventurous beers myself.

But at the same time, why shouldn't balance be as laudable a trait as intensity of flavor? There are a lot of highly rated beers that taste like liquid spice cabinets (thinking of Stone Verticals, various Cigar City brews, some of DFH's more out there experiments), and while I can admire the craft, there is nothing refreshing about them, which I think is a trait beer should always have. Even your crazy strong DIPAs and Imperial IPAs can be very refreshing.

Again, I'm not complaining these beers exist or are enjoyed, but that the craft beer forum hardcores can be too predictable, it's largely about rarity/hype and intensity. Under blind taste tastes, a lot of them would be rating things quite a bit differently.

Totally disagree with a couple of things here. Beer should definitely not always be refreshing, and there are plenty of blind taste tests out there along with no shortage of connoisseurs who will talk your head off about how Popular Beer A is overrated and nowhere near as good as Under Appreciated Beers B and C

Top Bottom